Directions in Research

Updated Jun 30, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

David Phife

Ok job with perks and downfalls

Research Specialist (Current Employee) Grand Rapids, MI

ProsFlexible schedule, time off perks

ConsCancellations, Favoritism, Unclean autosphere, terrible bathrooms

Rewards performance

ConsManagement is disrespectful
    Company culture sucks

Advice to Senior ManagementSmile more

Worked for the time being

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsFlexible Schedule

Rude employees
    Uneducated coworkers
    Turnover rate

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A dead end job when you have nowhere else to go

Research Specialist (Current Employee) Grand Rapids, MI

ProsYou can mostly choose your own hours. The restrictions being that you must work between 18 - 35 hours a week and 6 of those hours must be on a Friday, Saturday, or Sunday.

The work is not demanding. If you can read and speak English, you're qualified for this job.

ConsDo not expect steady work, especially if you just got hired. Sometimes people go a month without getting any hours. In those situations, they don't tell you ahead of time that you're not going to have work for a while. Instead, they call you a few hours before you start each day.

The work (conducting surveys over the phone) is repetitive and dull. You will spend 95% of your time getting hung up on or waiting for the call to actually go through. During this time, you will be expected to do nothing so you'll "be ready to answer the next call". I've worked here for years and I couldn't tell you the names of most the people who work here.

Also, expect to be sweared at. Expect people to threaten to have you arrested. I once even had someone threaten to kill me.

You will be evaluated mainly on quality and production. Quality here has the meaning that you read everything on your screen exactly as written and you have to get the person on the other end to give answers as written. One word out of line is enough to get you marked down.

Production us how many surveys you manage to complete in an hour. You will get marked down if you complete so many below the average. Using this system, a certain number of employees is always below the average. If you spend to low below average, you will get fired.

The equipment is not the best. Each day you'll be assigned a different booth to work at. Sometimes, so of the equipment you need will be missing or broken. The computers used are a hodge podge. Some of them are stilling running Windows 98 or Windows 95. Some of the booths used have electrical wires dangling freely from them. I think this might be a fire code violation, but I'm not sure.

The office in general is unhygienic. Infestations of ants and mice are a recurring problem. The office chairs are stained and dirty, to the point that some employees actually buy their own. The cleanliness of the woman's bathroom is another issue that is constantly brought up with management.

If you REALLY need a job

Interviewer (Former Employee) Grand Rapids, MI

ProsFlexible schedule
    Simple work
    Alot of cool people

ConsEXTREMELY boring and redundant
    Complaints over SMALLEST details said on phone
    High up do NOT communicate to each other
    Computers VERY out dated and usually crash
    Chairs are beyond disgusting (food, pee, or other mysterious liquid stains)
    Newer QA's are just AWFUL at evaluating interviewers
    You're lucky if you ever get to sit next to a person you enjoy talking to
    Can't do really anything at cubicle. especially if the statement above occurs

Advice to Senior ManagementHonestly for the sake of all your employees, talk to the other Supervisors and QA's. So many occasions where one supervisor says something then later you get written up because this other supervisor had no idea of the change or doesn't agree with what was said. There is absolutely NO reason an employee should have 6 people telling them 6 different things on a project.

Another thing, for the love of god can you PLEASE get those people new chairs. All the higher ups have nice chairs and computers. Employees are stuck with GIANT boxes with screens on their last leg and chairs LITERALLY on their last leg.

Work on something employees can do while in between calls. Sitting around for 6-8+ hours twirling you're thumbs can only subside insanity for so long.

Lastly READ What surveys your employees will be conducting. Some of the questions you guys asked us to read off to strangers are completely invasive. No sane person wants to talk to a complete stranger over the phone for 20-30+ minutes about their personal life. These type of questions are what already have people on edge about their privacy and the reason most HATE any type of unfamiliar numbers calling them.

Research Specialist

Research Specialist (Current Employee) Grand Rapids, MI

ProsYou get to feel like you work in the 1980s.

ConsSitting in a cube calling people during dinner time to take a survey they don't care about.

Horrible atmosphere, I just worked there because it was semi flexible and paid me money.

Research Specialist (Current Employee) Grand Rapids, MI

ProsIf you make the top cut every month you'll make 12$ an hour, which isn't bad... but most likely you wont.

There was one person there whom I liked. Autumn. She was friendly and respectful.

ConsVery dirty conditions
    Poor people work there
    Different things told to you by different people
    lies from management

Advice to Senior ManagementTo the owner: You are nothing but greedy. Run your company differently... get management that isn't stuck, create an engaging environment for your workers, and invest in your company rather than squeezing every penny out that you can.

Very easy work.

Research Specialist (Current Employee) Grand Rapids, MI

ProsDress code is casual. The job has you sitting almost all day. Schedule is flexible, you can change hours/days as much as you want if you give enough notice. Can schedule work for between 18 and 29 hours. When starting, you work mostly 2nd shift. Break amounts/times are decent. The work itself is very easy. Starting pay is $8/hour. Work is semi-team oriented, meaning you work alone but have others around to help with questions and there is a general goal to meet.

ConsThe work gets very boring. There's a challenge in it if you can come up with one. Not for everyone; people will get mad and yell and be rude to you on the phone.

Good part time job for college students.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Grand Rapids, MI

ProsVery flexible schedule. Great for a college student.

ConsOnly able to work up to 29.5 hrs. per week most of the time. Very inept upper management. Mind numbing work. Treated more like a number then an employee. No benefits of any kind.

Okay part-time job if you need the money.

Research Specialist (Former Employee) Grand Rapids, MI

ProsFlexible Hours, Good part-time job for students, Builds character, challenges your communication skills, good staff for the most part, good break schedule, feels good to get survey completes

ConsNot very clean work environment, equipment is old and sometimes in disrepair, lots of seemingly discontent employees, get hung up on/yelled at by respondents a lot.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake better care of the building, keep up the newsletters, offer more incentives, update the equipment more frequently, give employees options regarding which surveys they conduct.

Worked for Directions in Research? Contribute to the Community!