Directions in Research Reviews

David Phife

1. Decent job for a student

Former Employee - Research Specialist
    Former Employee - Research Specialist

Pros

-Decent starting pay. -Opportunities for promotion. -Flexible schedule, perfect if you're a student or holding another job.

Cons

-Nobody wants a call from you. Be prepared to get yelled at or messed with several times a day. -The job can get dreadfully boring at times. You will wait for the computer to pick up a call, you will start your scripted intro, and then get hanged up on. Repeat for the rest of the day. -You're not allowed to do anything mentally stimulating on long down times. This includes reading, studying, or even doing crossword puzzles.

Advice to Management

Maybe lift the ban on reading/studying during down times. I'm sure that I could have maintained my job performance while reading a book in between calls. I might have even taken more hours if this was the case.

2. It was alright I guess

I worked at Directions in Research part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Pick your schedule, Draw at your work station, not very hard

Cons

Saying the same thing over and over can get old, Getting yelled at by people you call isn't much fun either.

3. Assistant Supervisor/QA

I have been working at Directions in Research part-time

Pros

Inside promotion opportunities, Flexible, diverse staff

Cons

Unstable project development/hours due to Market, not really controlled by company however

5. Great place to work for students or people who want a flexible schedule!

Current Employee - Market Research Specialist in Grand Rapids, MI
    Current Employee - Market Research Specialist in Grand Rapids, MI

I have been working at Directions in Research part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Make your own schedule, meet a lot of cool people, easy work, decent pay, rewards hard workers, very convenient bus route, you can make up lost days very easily.

Cons

Can sometimes lay you off without forewarning, Can only work up to 29.5 HRS a week, Kinda difficult to make the SRS position.

6. Research Specialist

Former Employee - Research Specialist in Grand Rapids, MI
    Former Employee - Research Specialist in Grand Rapids, MI

I worked at Directions in Research part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Make your own hours Rewards performance

Cons

Management is disrespectful Company culture sucks

Advice to Management

Smile more

7. Ok job with perks and downfalls

Current Employee - Research Specialist in Grand Rapids, MI

I have been working at Directions in Research part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible schedule, time off perks

Cons

Cancellations, Favoritism, Unclean autosphere, terrible bathrooms

Advice to Management

Don't pick favorites

8. Worked for the time being

Pros

Flexible Schedule Lots of training Promotions Lots of help Great People

Cons

Cold Calling Rude customers Rude employees Uneducated coworkers Turnover rate

9. A dead end job when you have nowhere else to go

Current Employee - Research Specialist in Grand Rapids, MI

I have been working at Directions in Research part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You can mostly choose your own hours. The restrictions being that you must work between 18 - 35 hours a week and 6 of those hours must be on a Friday, Saturday, or Sunday. The work is not demanding. If you can read and speak English, you're qualified for this job.

Cons

Do not expect steady work, especially if you just got hired. Sometimes people go a month without getting any hours. In those situations, they don't tell you ahead of time that you're not going to have work for a while. Instead, they call you a few hours before you start each day. The work (conducting surveys over the phone) is repetitive and dull. You will spend 95% of your time getting hung up on or waiting for the call to actually go through. During this time, you will be expected to do nothing so you'll "be ready to answer the next call". I've worked here for years and I couldn't tell you the names of most the people who work here. Also, expect to be sweared at. Expect people to threaten to have you arrested. I once even had someone threaten to kill me. You will be evaluated mainly on quality and production. Quality here has the meaning that you read everything on your screen exactly as written and you have to get the person on the other end to give answers as written. One word out of line is enough to get you marked down. Production us how many surveys you manage to complete in an hour. You will get marked down if you complete so many below the average. Using this system, a certain number of employees is always below the average. If you spend to low below average, you will get fired. The equipment is not the best. Each day you'll be assigned a different booth to work at. Sometimes, so of the equipment you need will be missing or broken. The computers used are a hodge podge. Some of them are stilling running Windows 98 or Windows 95. Some of the booths used have electrical wires dangling freely from them. I think this might be a fire code violation, but I'm not sure. The office in general is unhygienic. Infestations of ants and mice are a recurring problem. The office chairs are stained and dirty, to the point that some employees actually buy their own. The cleanliness of the woman's bathroom is another issue that is constantly brought up with management.

If you REALLY need a job

Former Employee - Interviewer in Grand Rapids, MI
    Former Employee - Interviewer in Grand Rapids, MI

I worked at Directions in Research part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexible schedule Simple work Alot of cool people

Cons

EXTREMELY boring and redundant Complaints over SMALLEST details said on phone High up do NOT communicate to each other Computers VERY out dated and usually crash Chairs are beyond disgusting (food, pee, or other mysterious liquid stains) Newer QA's are just AWFUL at evaluating interviewers You're lucky if you ever get to sit next to a person you enjoy talking to Can't do really anything at cubicle. especially if the statement above occurs

Advice to Management

Honestly for the sake of all your employees, talk to the other Supervisors and QA's. So many occasions where one supervisor says something then later you get written up because this other supervisor had no idea of the change or doesn't agree with what was said. There is absolutely NO reason an employee should have 6 people telling them 6 different things on a project. Another thing, for the love of god can you PLEASE get those people new chairs. All the higher ups have nice chairs and computers. Employees are stuck with GIANT boxes with screens on their last leg and chairs LITERALLY on their last leg. Work on something employees can do while in between calls. Sitting around for 6-8+ hours twirling you're thumbs can only subside insanity for so long. Lastly READ What surveys your employees will be conducting. Some of the questions you guys asked us to read off to strangers are completely invasive. No sane person wants to talk to a complete stranger over the phone for 20-30+ minutes about their personal life. These type of questions are what already have people on edge about their privacy and the reason most HATE any type of unfamiliar numbers calling them.

11. Horrible atmosphere, I just worked there because it was semi flexible and paid me money.

Current Employee - Research Specialist in Grand Rapids, MI

I have been working at Directions in Research part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

If you make the top cut every month you'll make 12$ an hour, which isn't bad... but most likely you wont. There was one person there whom I liked. Autumn. She was friendly and respectful.

Cons

Very dirty conditions Poor people work there Different things told to you by different people lies from management

Advice to Management

To the owner: You are nothing but greedy. Run your company differently... get management that isn't stuck, create an engaging environment for your workers, and invest in your company rather than squeezing every penny out that you can.

RSS Feed </> Embed