Discount Car and Truck Rentals

Updated October 9, 2014
Updated October 9, 2014
2.6

Jay Singer

Pros
  • Opportunity to meet lot's of interesting people throughout my SA(Service Agent) and CSS (Customer Service Specialist) days (in 5 reviews)

• If there was a good reason to work for this company aside from a paycheque I would provide it but there truly is no pros to working at this place (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Salary is not competitive when factoring in these long hours (in 12 reviews)

• Work life balance is non existent with the company (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

nice part time job

I have been working at Discount Car and Truck Rentals

Pros

The schedule was very flexible as i worked part time

Cons

I wish the pay was higher

Just a paycheque

Former Employee - Customer Service Specialist in Ontario, CA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Specialist in Ontario, CA

I worked at Discount Car and Truck Rentals part-time (more than an year)

Pros

You get a paid every two weeks.....

Cons

Not 100% sure how some of these reviews have positive feedback. Discount is very disorganized. All you have to do is walk into one of their offices and everyone runs around with their heads cut off.

The company lies to customer by telling them that their issues will be taken care of and they will get a call back from the operations manager. Yet the counter staff are left to deal with these issues everyday!

You never have cars for customers.
    Customers are always pissed
    Cars are never cleaned properly because you don't have much time to do a good job because a customer has been waiting for a car for an hour.
    Cars DO NOT GET SERVICED!!!!!!!!!
    Some vehicles had their engines blown because they had not been serviced!!
    Managers are hypocrites, liars and only care about their bonus.

The reviews that state this company is good to work for are 100% made up by the management team and by HR.

Sell the company or become a Dealership. I am sure people would come and buy cars from a former car rental company who doesn't repair cars or does proper maintenance on their vehicles.

Good Memories

Former Employee - SA/CSS in Calgary, AB (Canada)
    Former Employee - SA/CSS in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I worked at Discount Car and Truck Rentals full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Opportunity to meet lot's of interesting people throughout my SA(Service Agent) and CSS (Customer Service Specialist) days. My manager was one of the funniest guys as well as the supervisor, and the team i worked with were amazing people in and outside of the workplace.

Cons

Time flew, but the reservation system needs a little bit of improvement as well as our company association recognition for customers. Customers are always confused if Discount Car and Truck Rental was the same company as Ace Rent-A-Car and Europcar. Which caused some issues, also the call centre needs to improve their updated inventory for available units for rental, they would reserve cars for anyone who called even when we were sold out. This resulted in angry customers for whom we would have to send to different rental agencies around Calgary. The "conceirge" at my location was a complete nut, he needs to learn to respect others duties in the workplace, stop kissing up to management and acting like the boss when management is not around. His job duty is to sit and greet customers, and help out detailing cars. This gentlemen was too busy flirting with any female that would walk through the door, some guys even got offended because this "jolly old man" was too touchy with some women. So keep it to yourself, and respect others work as well, if you ever read this, your not the boss, so calm down.

Promotion wise, i was supposed to get a raise with my promotion to CSS but never got it and just ended up resigning after a few months of working harder for the same amount of money. Management i had during my time of employment and supervisors were great people, hope they are doing good. Management should note for the future staff, that if there is a VIP customer coming through specifically someone who is friends with the CEO or Owner of the company. They need to learn to respect the staff who is trying to get them a rental, a man came through who told everyone he would call the CEO and get everyone fired because he got a car with a different branded tire on one of the 4 wheels of his rental vehicle. So yeah some customers need to get anger management, or maybe at least a flick on the forehead to say "hey buddy" your not all that.

Not a bad place to work, depending where you work. Overall not my first choice to be.

Current Employee - Customer Service Specialist in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Customer Service Specialist in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Discount Car and Truck Rentals full-time (more than an year)

Pros

There are company benefits which are good
    The staff personally were great to work with and to know
    Management is easy to deal with
    Email communication is consistent
    Employee deals on rentals
    Able to network with other companies and regular customers

Cons

Long hours, 10-12 hour shifts normal
    compensation is low to moderate, not fair if you compare the stress and hours to salary
    high turnover rate, not good for employee morale
    high stress times
    dealing with the public is a double edged sword, some are great, others are very ignorant
    over booking of reservations leads to many dissatisfied customers
    Must work weekends and holidays.
    Slow periods are extremely dull

Lower the overbooking to satisfy more customers rather than upset people whom don't receive a vehicle.
    Create shorter holiday hours so staff working them are able to enjoy their time off.

A very unorganized company

Former Employee - Fleet in Calgary, AB (Canada)
    Former Employee - Fleet in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I worked at Discount Car and Truck Rentals full-time (more than an year)

Pros

- Slack
    - Minimum to no education required
    - Flexibility
    - Get a chance to drive around new vehicles
    - Minimum to no supervision by management

Cons

- Very low pay
    - Management needs major improvements
    - Interoffice drama/gossiping
    - Staff and scheduling not constructed and managed accordingly
    - Employees disregard customer satisfaction
    - Unprofessional environment

Please reconsider and evaluate your regional managers and hr team.

Short term job but not a career

Former Employee - Client Services Specialist in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Client Services Specialist in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at Discount Car and Truck Rentals full-time

Pros

You get to learn about cars, fast paced customer service, being self sufficient, and how not to run a business.

Cons

You work crazy hours with no support from head office, no incentives, there are no standard reviews( try getting a promotion..politics are the only thing that count). They don't care about anyone but overbooking on long weekends and summer.

Look at your reviews, the only people that are enjoying working for this company are management. Either they are fake or the managers really don't care about staff. All management should know how to rent cars and survive a long weekend.

Sep 29, 2014Director, Human Resources

I am truly sorry to hear you feel this way. We have standard performance criteria for promotions which are merit based and am sorry your impression was otherwise. We truly care about our teams and ... More

There is good, there is bad

Pros

As stated in most of the reviews here, you get to drive different types of cars and trucks, even if only for a short time. The managers I've met at the branch level are great as are most of the employees you'll meet and work with as a counter agent. The work experience you gain is valuable as you get a good cross of fast paced, intense customer service experience as well as a solid amount of administrative experience. There is room for advancement, but the requirements are daunting. If you want it enough there is little stopping you from being promoted.

Cons

Compensation is the glaringly obvious problem here. I can only speculate as to the effect that higher wages would have on the high turnover rate existing at the branch level, but I feel like it would take a turn towards improving. Operational Managers are another issue with Discount. I have found them to be unreliable at best and at times very difficult to work with. They are unapproachable, selfish and tend to spend time micro managing where managerial bases are covered. As stated in the pros, while there is room for advancement, the program is strict and overtime, the saving grace of each pay cheque, is not paid out to Managers-in-Training. All in all, difficulties with irate customers and maintaining fleet are universal in the rental industry and the long hours are not a secret. As such, I cannot hold that against the company.

If I could say one thing to upper management it would be this, "pay us more, please."

Decent Job for experience

Current Employee - Car Attendant in Ottawa, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Car Attendant in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Discount Car and Truck Rentals part-time (less than an year)

Pros

- Driving a variety of cars around
    - Not particularly gruelling work
    - Friendly coworkers

Cons

-Typical customer service issues
    -Somewhat overworked

Consider boosting employee morale.

Aug 14, 2014Director, Human Resources

Thank you for your feedback! I am happy to hear you are enjoying your experience overall but would appreciate more feedback regarding boosting employee morale. Please feel free to contact me ... More

Horrible Customer Service

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Calgary, AB (Canada)
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I worked at Discount Car and Truck Rentals full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Better (barely) than being unemployed.

Cons

Horrible, horrible customer service.
    No cars available, no help to customers for the inconvenience. Consistently tell customers "We'll take care of it", then proceed to not call, email, or take any action to help.
    I would advise NOT being a customer of this company. If you think you are saving money, just wait until you show up for your holiday/vacation or work visit and there is no car and they say "Good luck finding one". By that time, you'll be paying even MORE for a walk-in rental than if you found something online earlier. Why not save yourself the trouble and not waste your time with this hassle and just rent from Dollar, Thrifty, or Budget right off the bat. You THINK you will be saving money with this company, but all you will experience is a headache.

There is management here? Seriously, hire someone new at the top that knows how to run a company with a customer focus.

Amazing so far

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Hamilton, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Hamilton, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Discount Car and Truck Rentals full-time

Pros

Alot to learn
    You get to drive different cars
    Room for advancement: if you want it
    They care about their people, invest in them when they can.
    Teaches you how multitasking is actually done

Cons

Angry customers: (customer service industry problem)
    Sometime stressful

Aug 14, 2014Director, Human Resources

Thank you for your feedback and I am so happy to hear you are enjoying your career! Please feel free to contact me anytime if you have any feedback or if you would like to share with me why you feel ... More

Discount Car and Truck Rentals Photos