Discount Car and Truck Rentals

Updated August 19, 2014
Updated August 19, 2014

2.9

Jay Singer

Pros
  • If there was a good reason to work for this company aside from a paycheque I would provide it but there truly is no pros to working at this place (in 3 reviews)

• You get to drive different cars (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Salary is not competitive when factoring in these long hours (in 10 reviews)

• Work life balance is non existent with the company (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

nice part time job

Pros

The schedule was very flexible as i worked part time

Cons

I wish the pay was higher

Just a paycheque

Former Employee - Customer Service Specialist  in  Ontario, CA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Specialist in Ontario, CA

Pros

You get a paid every two weeks.....

Cons

Not 100% sure how some of these reviews have positive feedback. Discount is very disorganized. All you have to do is walk into one of their offices and everyone runs around with their heads cut off.

The company lies to customer by telling them that their issues will be taken care of and they will get a call back from the operations manager. Yet the counter staff are left to deal with these issues everyday!

You never have cars for customers.
    Customers are always pissed
    Cars are never cleaned properly because you don't have much time to do a good job because a customer has been waiting for a car for an hour.
    Cars DO NOT GET SERVICED!!!!!!!!!
    Some vehicles had their engines blown because they had not been serviced!!
    Managers are hypocrites, liars and only care about their bonus.

The reviews that state this company is good to work for are 100% made up by the management team and by HR.

Sell the company or become a Dealership. I am sure people would come and buy cars from a former car rental company who doesn't repair cars or does proper maintenance on their vehicles.

Decent Job for experience

Current Employee - Car Attendant  in  Ottawa, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Car Attendant in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

Pros

- Driving a variety of cars around
    - Not particularly gruelling work
    - Friendly coworkers

Cons

-Typical customer service issues
    -Somewhat overworked

Consider boosting employee morale.

Aug 14, 2014Director, Human Resources

Thank you for your feedback! I am happy to hear you are enjoying your experience overall but would appreciate more feedback regarding boosting employee morale. Please feel free to contact me ... More

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Horrible Customer Service

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative  in  Calgary, AB (Canada)
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Calgary, AB (Canada)

Pros

Better (barely) than being unemployed.

Cons

Horrible, horrible customer service.
    No cars available, no help to customers for the inconvenience. Consistently tell customers "We'll take care of it", then proceed to not call, email, or take any action to help.
    I would advise NOT being a customer of this company. If you think you are saving money, just wait until you show up for your holiday/vacation or work visit and there is no car and they say "Good luck finding one". By that time, you'll be paying even MORE for a walk-in rental than if you found something online earlier. Why not save yourself the trouble and not waste your time with this hassle and just rent from Dollar, Thrifty, or Budget right off the bat. You THINK you will be saving money with this company, but all you will experience is a headache.

There is management here? Seriously, hire someone new at the top that knows how to run a company with a customer focus.

Amazing so far

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative  in  Hamilton, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Hamilton, ON (Canada)

Pros

Alot to learn
    You get to drive different cars
    Room for advancement: if you want it
    They care about their people, invest in them when they can.
    Teaches you how multitasking is actually done

Cons

Angry customers: (customer service industry problem)
    Sometime stressful

Aug 14, 2014Director, Human Resources

Thank you for your feedback and I am so happy to hear you are enjoying your career! Please feel free to contact me anytime if you have any feedback or if you would like to share with me why you feel ... More

Cheap company, highest turnover for a reason. Not simply another disgruntled employee here.

Pros

- Good for people with no university or college education to make a living
    - Get to try different new vehicles
    - Good in-between job to gain all around experience in an office and execute formal contracts

Cons

- Not even close to competitive salary, actually just about a 1$ over minimum wage per hour
    -Has one of the highest turnovers in the industry, even customers state they never see the same rental agents
    - 44H work week minimum, once you get "promoted" you make no overtime and work well over 44H
    - Does not want to pay employees, out of the 8 branches I've personally seen only 2 managers are actually getting paid a manager salary, which is 45,000$ annual. Bonus is rare, and this is a 50+H work week minimum as manager. They will keep piling on responsibilities without additional pay.
    - High level of office politics, who is disliked by upper management is fired in opposed to who is incompetent.
    -CEO has a BA in writing, simply inherited the company from the founder (his father)

The industry is a hard one, however Discounts continuous strive to pay it's employees less in the long term will hurt the company. Once your long term contracts expire, the other rental companies who actually pay their employees will slowly take over. You get what you pay for.

Aug 14, 2014Director, Human Resources

I am sorry you feel this way. In our Client Service Specialist role, we offer numerous increases that are automatic after the six month training period as well as an anniversary bonus ... More

High Turnover For a Reason

Current Employee - Client Services Specialist
    Current Employee - Client Services Specialist

Pros

You do get to test out new cars, and interact with customers and bodyshops/ dealerships all day.

Cons

They will take advantage of you beyond what you can handle but the second you ask for something you are shut down.

Listen to simple requests, basic things like sitting down during the day will greatly reduce the extremely high turnover rate.

Jun 11, 2014Director, Human Resources

Thank you for your feedback, and I would like the opportunity to discuss the concerns you are having. Please know you can contact me or any member of the HR or Operations team to discuss your ... More

Proud to be a part of Discount Family

Current Employee - Operations Manager  in  Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Operations Manager in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Pros

There are many but the most important one to me is that from day one, you feel as part of the Discount family. Everyone from front desk all the way to Jay's office make you feel welcome. To me it's home away from home. The company is growing fast and there are opportunities everywhere. Although everyone is always busy at any level, your hard work is always acknowledged and praised. The company truly cares about their employees in all levels.

Cons

I can't honestly point out anything at all. Of course there are days that you can say aren't very good but I think that's a common thing in what ever you do in life. Just like a family, you will face challenges sometimes that you will overcome. Help is everywhere.

Thank you for everything.

Apr 28, 2014Director, Human Resources

I am so happy to hear about your career experience at DCTR! Thank you for your feedback, as we truly strive to ensure every member of the team feels like a valued member of our family!

There was a job posting, after reading the reviews I will not be applying for the position

Former Employee - Accounting Department  in  Woodbridge, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Accounting Department in Woodbridge, ON (Canada)

Pros

after reading reviews I didn't see any good reason to work

Cons

Looks like Company does not treat their employee's well

Sounds like you need to look at your business model and how you treat your employee's. I worked for Herb and Rhoda back on the mid 80's when they were at Young and Sheppard Ave in Toronto, just expanding to Bowes Rd. They were amazing to work for, the only reason I left was because I moved west.
    I was excited when I saw the job posting and was going to apply, but after reading the reviews.....thanks, but no thanks

May 12, 2014Director, Human Resources

I am sorry you feel that way. Being an employee for 16 years who is very happy working for a company that employs thousands, please do not let a few negative opinions of our company dissuade you. I ... More

Overworked, underpaid

Former Employee - Customer Service Specialist  in  Windsor, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Customer Service Specialist in Windsor, ON (Canada)

Pros

People are friendly and eager to please customers, depends which branch your at.

Cons

No matter how long you work there, or what position you are promoted to, you will always work long strenuous hours either 7:30am-6pm, or 8-6pm. The absolute best hours in the company are in the accounting department which is 9-5pm. Salary is not competitive when factoring in these long hours. Many jobs could be the work of two people, however all responsibility is piled onto one person. Zero work life balance. Discount is great at finding the hardest working people out there and exploiting them.

Discount needs to be unionized to standardize the amount of work that each employee and each position is responsible for. Many employees are overworked and this is the expectation. Taking breaks is an HR requirement, but of course if an employee is overworked and their performance is affected, they work through their lunches. In the branches, lunch breaks are completely sporadic and may or may not ever happen. Some days you are starving but you are too busy working to notice.

Get proper training to the HR department. an "HR associate" does not mean they have the skills or proper background for that position. Quit telling people this is a "family" there is no open door policy! if an operations manager came in and told you they want Bob gone! HR does not look into the matter but goes to their desk and cut and paste the name into the termination letter. Under the Labour Laws Discount should be investigated and fined millions on how they dismiss staff, safety issues at local branches, safety issues with their fleet, breaks and lunches not provided to staff. The list goes on.....

Jun 11, 2014Director, Human Resources

Thank you for your candid feedback. I am quite shocked to read the comments you have included. Feedback received both in the past and recently from the Windsor team has been very positive. We have ... More

Worked for Discount Car and Truck Rentals? Contribute to the Community!