Discount Tire Company Reviews

Updated August 24, 2014
Updated August 24, 2014

3.6

Thomas P Englert

Pros
  • Perfect for any High School worker or Part Time College folks (in 7 reviews)

• if your not interested as a full time job come get experience as a part timer (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • working Saturdays ,long hours 10-11 hour days working way over salaried hours (in 9 reviews)

• low hours, hard work, hard to move up (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Best part time job I ever had!

Former Employee - Tire Technician  in  Fort Collins, CO
    Former Employee - Tire Technician in Fort Collins, CO

I worked at Discount Tire Company part-time for more than a year

Pros

The pay was good and after a couple months they liked my performance and gave me a raise. Also, at the end of the year I received a very nice bonus which I was not expecting.

Cons

You are exposed to the elements which means it can get very hot during the summer and very cold in the winter.

good company. cares about employees,

I have been working at Discount Tire Company part-time

Pros

paychecks and hours, summer bonuses

Cons

you have to wait forever for a promotion

listen to your techs. they have a lot of good ideas

Long hours and very little management experience. This is a sales job.

Current Employee - Assistant Manager Third Man  in  Reno, NV
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager Third Man in Reno, NV

I have been working at Discount Tire Company full-time for more than a year

Pros

The job gives me the opportunity to work directly with customers and help those that are in need.

Cons

Long hours and a huge focus on numbers and upselling.

Spend more time managing backroom and motivating techs, spend less time holding the front counter up.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great company!

Current Employee - Tire Technician  in  Alpharetta, GA
    Current Employee - Tire Technician in Alpharetta, GA

I have been working at Discount Tire Company part-time for less than a year

Pros

I love this place! They really make you feel like they want you to be a part of their team.

Cons

None this place is really great.

None

Great company crapy ran stores

Current Employee - Tire Technician  in  Colorado Springs, CO
    Current Employee - Tire Technician in Colorado Springs, CO

I have been working at Discount Tire Company part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Pay, bonuses, works with your schedule

Cons

You work hard and get treated like crap. It is like being in high school. The people that does alot of but kissing are the ones that want to be come mangers so they can get payed more and work less. All the managers are lazy. Never have the the proper tools or tbe tools are always broken. They expect you to pull miracle to get stuff done.

Pay attention to The back room and give credit to the ones that work hard not the one that are lazy.

Hard work and long hours.

Former Employee - Assistant Manager  in  Detroit, MI
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Detroit, MI

I worked at Discount Tire Company full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Perfect for any High School worker or Part Time College folks. Pay for school, hours are flexible as long as your not a manager, bonuses, each store has a "family" sort of feel to it, hard work keeps everyone honest and eager to not slack do to the fact it will affect everyone else in the store.

Cons

If store is slow your hours are cut immediately
    Not much room for promotion
    long time "in crowd" employees always get promoted first
    Never an easy day
    Dirty
    Ample opportunity to get hurt
    See a lot of people end up on pain killers daily just to get through the day.
    Not a long term career unless you 100% buy into the entire dream of the company.

Separate salesmen and backroom. By combining them you eliminate potential top end salesmen from wanting to work for your company.

Difficult manual labor that ended up being fun and a good experience.

Current Employee - Tire Technician  in  Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Tire Technician in Houston, TX

I have been working at Discount Tire Company part-time for more than a year

Pros

Learned a lot about cars, machines and safety. Bond formed between all of the guys

Cons

The hot days are very hot and the cold days are very cold. Working in these conditions was the most difficult part.

Offer raises for motivation, even if its 10 cents a month

Encouraging company to work for

I have been working at Discount Tire Company

Pros

The peopke make the industry standards. You will be very knowledgeable about tge industry. Everyone is more like family and everyone relies on each other.

Cons

Management for the region on the corporate level is so back and forth and. It hard to focus on something to better your store, once your getting close they will change the aspect of what they are looking at and knock you for something else. When looking at the big picture of business it just seems they only want to knit pick all the small things and force people out especialy if they have been there a while.
    Super long work hours which are expected to a certain point but is hard to endure when the V.P promises it will never happen again but still happens year after year.
    You are expected to let customers walk all over you and give them anything they wish for and if you dont, corporate will promise them everything for any inconveniance, lead them back to your store so the customer can throw that in your face. Very un business like and unnerving.

These guys give you so much of their lives give them actual praise not cheesy fake smiles and b.s handshakes you dont care to give. Stop using scare tactics sneaking into stores, this doesnt benefit anyone.

Good Job

Former Employee - Apprentice Tech
    Former Employee - Apprentice Tech

I worked at Discount Tire Company part-time for more than a year

Pros

Money every Friday and good people if you work hard

Cons

Physically draining and time consuming

You need to relax and get to know backroom techs more personally, and they will want to work harder and faster through out the day, trust me. Also store owners and seniors should plan for weekly or bi weekly eating arrangements for workers that stay all day, and only get a short break less than 45 minutes.

Worst company to be employed with

I worked at Discount Tire Company full-time

Pros

Nothing. Nothing. Nothing. Stay away.

Cons

They can care less about there employees. Was a assistant manager for 10 years. Last two years were horrible . Was in Colorado and busy season Aug. - dec. they will work their employees (techs and assistant managers) 12- 14 hrs a day a day and working on average 100 plus cars a day with no brakes and no lunch. A few people have contacted colorado labor recently to notify them of this issue. In your a assistant manager, plane on being a salesman, bay manager, tech, and doing inventory all in one day. They require 15 min. On one car or less. If you go over the 15 min. On one car you'll get your manager ( which has been doing nothing but on his cell phone all day) come out and start yelling at you to go faster. About 25 assistant manager has quit in less then a year with an average of 8years
    If you ask spouses what they think of this company 90 perecnt of them will say " I've told him to quit for years, I hate that place" you will not have no family time or personal time. Just in one store alone in seven month they have lost 2 soon to be 3 assistant managers quit and 11 techs that's have quit too. All of the former employes will always say, " your damn if you do your job, and your damn if you don't" they expect you to work on 100 plus cars with only 6-8 people working on them. They could care less about you, and personal family time. You'll get a truck full of tires 800-1,000 twice a week, and after you work on 100 plus cars that day, and 11 hours later with no lunch and no brakes you'll get your manager saying " we don't go home until all these are put away" then 5 min. Later the manager leaves you and 6 people to do all the work. Then the next morning the manager will get mad at you because you had to stay till 10:00 at night to put them away.( again the whole day the manager is on on his personal cell phone all day , surfing the internet, playing games, and taking personal phone calls). Then the days you don't have tires to put away the manager will leave 30 min before you close if and say " you're down 15-20 cars you better hurry up so YOU can go home" so you don't leave till 730 at night. Then the next morning the manager will come in and start yelling at everyone " why did you stay so late, unexceptable." Stay away from being employed here, again 90 percent of there employees are unhappy, and they all say " I dislike this job so much, I wish I can get out" stay away from being employeed here. I quit a month ago and now I'm being teased by other ( current employes) saying " the rumor has it they were going to fire you" this is what type of company this company is... How a great man ( Bruce Halle) the owner could let his employees and former employees being treated like crap all the time. The owner has integrity, hopefully he sees this and know a lot of his employees are very unhappy and fix it.

Worked for Discount Tire Company? Contribute to the Community!