Discount Tire

Updated March 5, 2015
Updated March 5, 2015
3.9

Tom Englert

Pros
  • Promote from within- Fantastic pay and benefits (in 3 reviews)

• Fun at first, good pay, great discounts, depending on the manager they do take care of you sometimes (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Very hard work, long hours, no lunches or breaks sometime, terrible upper management in stores (in 11 reviews)

• As a part time worker I worked about 45 hours each week (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Good benefits and pay, hard to follow through with expectations sometimes.

Current Employee - 5s Assistant Manager in Shakopee, MN
    Current Employee - 5s Assistant Manager in Shakopee, MN

I have been working at Discount Tire full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Comrodery is honestly really awesome

Cons

Very high expectations to follow through with

Be more understanding and caring at times for employees

Asst. Manager

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in West Odessa, TX
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in West Odessa, TX

I have been working at Discount Tire

Pros

Being apart of the Dream

Cons

I've worked for Discount Tire for a few years and have no regrets or any cons it's been great for me and my family

Keep up the great customer service and cultivate your people

Service coordinator

Former Employee - Tire Tech in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Tire Tech in Houston, TX

I worked at Discount Tire part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible hours. Good pay for a part time job during college.

Cons

Tiring walking running squatting all day. Sometimes cold. Sometimes hot. Sometimes rainy.

Pay more attention to the teamwork of the service team.

Its good, but not great.

Former Employee - Sales in Denton, TX
    Former Employee - Sales in Denton, TX

I worked at Discount Tire full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

As a technician you can make up to 16 dollars an hour! thats awesome!

Cons

As a full time employee, starting you make far less then you work.

Pay full time employees more then I can make at sprint selling phones.

Great people, good pay

Current Employee - Service Tech in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Service Tech in Houston, TX

I have been working at Discount Tire part-time (less than a year)

Pros

good pay, flexible hours and friendly co workers. If you work hard you get rewarded and move up in the company

Cons

when it's cold you're cold, when it's hot you're melting. When it gets busy people lose their temper some times.

Assistant manager

I have been working at Discount Tire

Pros

Great valves and culture
    Promotions if your willing to work hard

Cons

Work/life balance
    minimum 50 plus works

Assistant manager

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in College Station, TX
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in College Station, TX

I have been working at Discount Tire

Pros

Discount tire is one of a kind. Mr. Halle takes care of his employees better than any other company. The pay is great starting out. Keep working hard and you will earn raises in no time. No other company supports their people more than Discount Tire.

Cons

No cons. The opportunities that are imprint of you is the best type of motivation to keep on growing.

Keep growing every employee

They're a great company to work for if you'd like to bust your butt.

Current Employee - Service Coordinator in Shelby, MI
    Current Employee - Service Coordinator in Shelby, MI

I have been working at Discount Tire part-time (less than a year)

Pros

If you work hard, you are rewarded. A caring staff, some as close as brothers. Safety for the customer is the #1 concern of every employee, there's no cutting corners when it comes to someone's safety. Only 6 day work weeks. Excellent benefits are offered and if you love the company and work extremely hard, it's a great place to be. In the cold season, there's plenty of money/hours to be had.

Cons

...Six day work weeks. There is by far more stress than it is worth. When you start, you'll likely start at $9/hour and move up to $10/hour pretty quick. Unfortunately it depends on the season. There's either a shortage of hours in the summer or a drastic shortage of people in the cold seasons and everyone is typically angry all the time. Getting a Saturday off is like finding a four leaf clover, few and far between, if at all. Typically schedules for a full day, a 11 hour shift, with only allowing a half an hour break (unless it's too busy, then it's a full 11 hours of strictly fast-paced, high-stress work. You're considered a part-time employee despite being scheduled 49+ hours a week some weeks. Once you get promoted to full time, you're required to work 55+ hour weeks but overtime drops from Time and A Half to $5/hour, so you actually make much less.

There is very little work-life balance. Since starting 6 months ago I've worked my butt off and have done well at Discount, but my personal life has almost completely faded away for either being too busy/working too often or being far too exhausted to enjoy anything after work. I can't even enjoy a hockey game after work because I know I'll be back to work 12 hours after I clock out and if I don't attempt to get some sleep, the next day is an even bigger toll on my body and will make me even more miserable.

Good for when you don't know where your life is going...

I worked at Discount Tire

Pros

The discount tire is a good company to work for, if you don't feel like going to school, because they pay really well. There are benefits and you do get over time so you make about as much as anyone would at their first entry level job. If you have a really good crew then the days go by fast and you can typically get out not to far past close.

Cons

The hours, I don't know about other discount stores but the one I worked at was understaffed. As a part time worker I worked about 45 hours each week. Another issue is that closing time isn't always closing, even though we close at 6 pm sometimes I would still be changing tires till 9 pm simply because they can't tell people to leave.

Hire enough people and let part time workers be part time, if they wanted to be full time they would have applied for that position.

Not for the faint of heart

Former Employee - Apprentice in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Apprentice in San Diego, CA

I worked at Discount Tire part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Employee discount, Bi-Yearly and Christmas bonus (Don't know if they do this anymore), 401k Options,

I can't comment on the new CEO he want CEO when I was there the company founder still controlled it

You make great friends in the process and it can be a rewarding friendship that can last for years even after you or they are gone. The store where I was at we were more like a family than anything else, sometimes we would all go to breakfast before the shop opened and just have a great time talking, we would have a christmas party every year.

I loved working for discount tire, I just disapprove of the way they handled my injury claim

Cons

Part time techs have to pay for medical, dental and vision and I would not even recommend you get it, its complete garbage they didn't even bother to update it that much for the ObamaCare program, If this is your only income I would just get state medical and not even waste your money the lowest plan starts at 9.95 and the premium plan is 20.95 and you have to pay weekly and the benefits are trash, if you went to the hospital or doctors office you would owe money coming out,

Uniforms except what is given to you in the beginning three shirts and one windbreaker jacket that doesn't keep you warm at all during the winter time so if you want a more heavier jacket you have to BUY IT FROM THEM and it has to have their logo and your name on it and it comes out of your check...., they don't supply pants so those are all out of pocket and the only ones that are excepted is black, and to make them last you have to buy expensive 30 dollar pants with double knee guards and buying five of those can get expensive.

The training videos are sometimes amusing but its what led to my knee injury, they had a new way of bolting up a tire and when I tried it, it made my knee make a popping and snapping sound. two years on workers comp and my job terminated was their way of saying sorry, I still could of continued my job as front counter or warehouse worker but they chose to do this instead, so if your thinking about doing a workers comp claim be very sure you are making the right choice. We do get sent home early if units for the day are down and having a family of six they didn't care even when I drove an hour to work and then told me to go home because they were slow... I liked working with my fellow employees we were a great team and I miss them all, promotions take forever to get I did make it to apprentice and unfortunately never made it to full time management I wanted that so bad thats why I thought the training video on new procedures would help my total times were already in the low 20's

Don't make your employees resign just because they do a claim against the workers comp insurance, Thats what insurance is for I was loyal all the way and would of went career especially since my current manager opened my eyes to the possibilities in the company every time I go to a discount tire I can see what techs need to do to be more in unison and efficient I still find stores where the wait time is an hour that is unacceptable in my eyes because I'm waiting what they need to do and what they need to do to make them better, I would of made a great store to store speed training consultant had you not wanted my termination stipulation signed , All I wanted was for you to take care of me when I was down, Instead you thanked all my hard work with insurance company delays and trying to get me to come back to work injured you did that to me twice once on the knee injury and once for a back injury I got at the same store. I loved the company and I know you have to work hard for things and that is what I was trying to do, now I'm unemployed and living on the system...