Discount Tire

Updated November 20, 2014
Updated November 20, 2014
3.5

Tom Englert

Definitely learn what it means to work hard labor.

Former Employee - Sales Consultant
    Former Employee - Sales Consultant

I worked at Discount Tire part-time (more than an year)

Pros

It was a definite learning experience I will never forget, there is organization, order, and procedures. The team is relatively small 10-15 employees, so you really get to know each one. You learn what it means to be a part of a great team, and how if one falls you can help him/her back up. Selling wheels and tires was fun, after all you are inside, with the cool fresh air and you rarely get dirty (if your inside).

Sunday's off!

Cons

The only and main challenge in my opinion was the labor involved in working in the "bay" area, otherwise known as where the tires and wheels are installed. Especially in the city where I worked. It was always 90 degrees plus. Tires of course, are always dirty, and so were you at the end of every shift. It was hard to get the black substance off your fingerprints as it would ingrain into your every orifice of your palms and you always smelled due to the sweat and tire residue mix on your skin. When I did work in the bay area, I always got home tired and without energy. So even though you get out no later than 6:30pm, I never really had energy to do anything besides stay home, put my feet up and relax, cause guess what, had to do it all over again the next day. I was 20-21 at the time.

None. I think the company has a great set of values and leadership.

Good for when you don't know where your life is going...

I worked at Discount Tire

Pros

The discount tire is a good company to work for, if you don't feel like going to school, because they pay really well. There are benefits and you do get over time so you make about as much as anyone would at their first entry level job. If you have a really good crew then the days go by fast and you can typically get out not to far past close.

Cons

The hours, I don't know about other discount stores but the one I worked at was understaffed. As a part time worker I worked about 45 hours each week. Another issue is that closing time isn't always closing, even though we close at 6 pm sometimes I would still be changing tires till 9 pm simply because they can't tell people to leave.

Hire enough people and let part time workers be part time, if they wanted to be full time they would have applied for that position.

Not for the faint of heart

Former Employee - Apprentice in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Apprentice in San Diego, CA

I worked at Discount Tire part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Employee discount, Bi-Yearly and Christmas bonus (Don't know if they do this anymore), 401k Options,

I can't comment on the new CEO he want CEO when I was there the company founder still controlled it

You make great friends in the process and it can be a rewarding friendship that can last for years even after you or they are gone. The store where I was at we were more like a family than anything else, sometimes we would all go to breakfast before the shop opened and just have a great time talking, we would have a christmas party every year.

I loved working for discount tire, I just disapprove of the way they handled my injury claim

Cons

Part time techs have to pay for medical, dental and vision and I would not even recommend you get it, its complete garbage they didn't even bother to update it that much for the ObamaCare program, If this is your only income I would just get state medical and not even waste your money the lowest plan starts at 9.95 and the premium plan is 20.95 and you have to pay weekly and the benefits are trash, if you went to the hospital or doctors office you would owe money coming out,

Uniforms except what is given to you in the beginning three shirts and one windbreaker jacket that doesn't keep you warm at all during the winter time so if you want a more heavier jacket you have to BUY IT FROM THEM and it has to have their logo and your name on it and it comes out of your check...., they don't supply pants so those are all out of pocket and the only ones that are excepted is black, and to make them last you have to buy expensive 30 dollar pants with double knee guards and buying five of those can get expensive.

The training videos are sometimes amusing but its what led to my knee injury, they had a new way of bolting up a tire and when I tried it, it made my knee make a popping and snapping sound. two years on workers comp and my job terminated was their way of saying sorry, I still could of continued my job as front counter or warehouse worker but they chose to do this instead, so if your thinking about doing a workers comp claim be very sure you are making the right choice. We do get sent home early if units for the day are down and having a family of six they didn't care even when I drove an hour to work and then told me to go home because they were slow... I liked working with my fellow employees we were a great team and I miss them all, promotions take forever to get I did make it to apprentice and unfortunately never made it to full time management I wanted that so bad thats why I thought the training video on new procedures would help my total times were already in the low 20's

Don't make your employees resign just because they do a claim against the workers comp insurance, Thats what insurance is for I was loyal all the way and would of went career especially since my current manager opened my eyes to the possibilities in the company every time I go to a discount tire I can see what techs need to do to be more in unison and efficient I still find stores where the wait time is an hour that is unacceptable in my eyes because I'm waiting what they need to do and what they need to do to make them better, I would of made a great store to store speed training consultant had you not wanted my termination stipulation signed , All I wanted was for you to take care of me when I was down, Instead you thanked all my hard work with insurance company delays and trying to get me to come back to work injured you did that to me twice once on the knee injury and once for a back injury I got at the same store. I loved the company and I know you have to work hard for things and that is what I was trying to do, now I'm unemployed and living on the system...

Maybe it's just a Florida thing.

Current Employee - Assistant Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager

I have been working at Discount Tire full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Lots of great benefits for employees and the families. Medical, dental, vision, life insurance, etc. just like with most other big companies. I would say the biggest thing Discount Tire has are its people. Like family in most cases. Very caring individuals are cultivated within the company. That is the way we've all been taught. Lots of opportunities to grow from within the company.

Cons

work/life balance is absolutely terrible. Not sure if this is just within the Florida region, but the long days leaves you too tired to do anything. Working with tires everyday could also be very monotonous and doesn't leave much of a challenge after a while. The caring environment also seems to be getting smaller. Good people keep getting fired or leaving and the ones staying are the ones who have grown too comfortable and aren't as understanding.

Stop choosing favorites. I've seen good people leave for absurd reasons and the not so good be allowed to keep their positions while doing the same exact things or worse.

Family oriented, professional

I have been working at Discount Tire full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Friendly culture, good compensation and benefits

Cons

Limited flexible work schedule offerings that hinder work-life balance

Consider using available technology to allow flexibility with schedules to promote a work-life balance that would be consistent with the claims of the company culture.

Leadership lacked to the point that technicians were doing their job horribly wrong.

Former Employee - Tire Tech in Sparks, NV
    Former Employee - Tire Tech in Sparks, NV

I worked at Discount Tire part-time (less than an year)

Pros

- got paid
    - received some job experience
    - work on personal vehicle when no costumers have come in yet

Cons

- worthless training
    - speed over safety
    - if low on costumers you will be sent home

Safety should be in mind and not how fast you can get a car done incorrectly

The Blind leading the scared!

Former Employee - Manager in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Manager in Portland, OR

I worked at Discount Tire full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Bonuses, pay (only at the higher ranks)

Cons

Long hours, physically crippling, lack of safety, red tape, politics, corporate, family in system of advancement, vision statement dies at the period of its final sentence!

It's a mess. Numbers don't always add up, it's going so corporate, with so much micro management and accountability being shifted to store levels so VPs heads don't roll. Know your region, why is turnover so high? Because people are miserable, managers and Sr's up and quitting?!?! Should be an eye opener! Vp's getting black out drunk, slapping around managers with no accountability, WA/OR region is a mess and I've spoken with store managers from other regions who confirm the same. It's sad, used to be a great place to work, that made an effort to follow the values they preach. Those times are in the past and the future looks very grim. Look for the cart to pull away from the horse.

Love working with co-workers, but my boss is a jerk and only cares about him self.

Current Employee - Tire Tech
    Current Employee - Tire Tech

I have been working at Discount Tire part-time (less than an year)

Pros

-Very Good Pay
    -Will Work around your schedule
    -Everyone who worked there was great but my boss

Cons

-After I would drive all the way to work my boss would just send me home. Happened when first hired. Boss was always rude and no one liked working for him.
    -Was told to just to see when I come in instead of putting me on the schedule
    -Was treated like a dog when trying to work my hardest
    -No one liked my boss so it made it a stressful environment to work in

The only advice I have really is to have someone in management that isn't a jerk and wont just send some home after they already drove all the way over there to work to not even work. Waste of time and big waste of money for gas driving back and forth. I am still working for Discount and it is slowly starting to get better, but at first was very rough and was very close to finding another job

Used to be a great place to work where you felt valued and had hope for the future!

Former Employee - Assistance Manager in Mesa, AZ
    Former Employee - Assistance Manager in Mesa, AZ

I worked at Discount Tire full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

--Pay
    --Benefits
    --Good Reputation in the Community
    --Great Customer Follow Up/Satisfaction
    --Incentives, bonuses
    --Good opportunities for the "right" person

Cons

--LONG hours
    --Unappreciated for 20+ years of service
    --Job is very physically demanding and if you need surgery or have back, knee, hip, etc.... or other issues as a
       result, you will be terminated as soon as they are legally able to get rid of you. Too many long time
       employees have been forced out for this very reason after giving up everything for this company.
    --Told that because I wanted to see my kids school events/sporting events that I was not dedicated enough
       despite the fact that I worked 55+ hours every week, was the first person at the store every day, rarely
       called in sick, missed countless family/school functions. Meanwhile, I had a mgr that left 3-4 times a week
       to go see his college age son play football and another that would leave to spend time with grandkids, yet
       my supposed "lack of dedication" was the only negative feedback in my employee review.
    --The guys that are hard workers, dedicated, don't call in sick seem to be the ones that have been fired,
       demoted or devalued and have left the company.
    --Co workers stab you in the back and climb over you to get ahead.
    --RVP and regional office staff used to at least seem like they genuinely cared about you and your family but
       that all changed about 4-5 years ago. No time for family, just work faster, longer, harder, smarter.
    --If you are good and smooth talking RVP's and are creative in getting out of work, this is the place for you!

This is a different company than it used to be. RVP's/VP's don't seem to value hard work and dedicated, long term employees. The louder or more aggressive someone is, the more miserable they can make all the employees in the store seems to be valued by the upper management and appears to be the determining factor on whether they are promotable. People skills are not valued AT ALL. Look back to your roots, some of the employees that helped build the Arizona market have been forced to other positions such as the warehouse or even forced out of the company....along with all their experience and customer base. You may not realize this, but A LOT of customers follow the long term employees from store to store and are very loyal.

Consider all the years and years of experience with strong core customer values that you have allowed to leave or have forced out. Friends and relatives say they won't shop at DTC now as the employees seem to be scared to death to make decisions or mistakes and don't seem happy at all.

TALK to your people. Make sure performance reviews are done. Most of the time they are done hastily and not discussed. Provide HR training for your managers; it is badly needed. ALL employees deserve development and honest feedback, not just the hand selected few that are blindly following upper management. VALUE diversity, don't just use it as lip service. VALUE opinions and ASK for input and have an open mind about suggestions. CONSIDER that while not everyone is suited to be a store manager, they are still valuable and have a lot of experience to share.

Sad really, this used to be such a great company. I have to believe that Bruce Halle has no idea what is now going on inside this company that he worked so hard to build.

Cares for thier customers and people

I have been working at Discount Tire

Pros

Bruce owns all the stores treats employees very well lots of company events and they hold high standards you don't have to deal with franchises they also respond to every customer complaint and make it rite

Cons

Nothing but you do work some pretty long hours and you have to be able to deal with people

Look at people talent not how long they have worked for the company