Discover Reviews

Reset

1. Best in rewards for bad behavior

Current Employee - Manager in Riverwoods, IL
    Current Employee - Manager in Riverwoods, IL

I have been working at Discover full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Flexible to work from home on occasion (which is new), nice campus, fitness center and there are good benefits.

Cons

Say development and advancement are priority, but seek from the outside. Leadership doesn't talk straight with employees, they talk about each other behind backs. And those who cheat and are unethical get rewarded with advancement opportunities.

2. Worked like a dog

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at Discover full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Annual Bonus used to be really good & environment used to be friends at work with the right people getting promoted based on hard work. Work from home benefits.

Cons

A change in management brought down my 20 year career at Discover from being one of the highest recognized employee to a negative critical lack of direction team. The new manager wanted me out and was able to make up stories and falsify records.

Advice to Management

Recognize hard work rather than someone who can tell a good story. Get rid of the annual performance curve - forcing everyone to manage to the curve eliminates a high performing team to operate as a team. This creates a competitive environment where peers will sell out their coworker to self promote.

3. An amazing summer of learning and opportunities

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in Riverwoods, IL
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in Riverwoods, IL

I worked at Discover as an intern (More than a year)

Pros

Discover is full of intelligent, hardworking people. Being an intern, they do not give you throw away jobs and busy work, but invested in your learning experience and really allowed you to take ownership in your duties. They also work to cultivate a sense of community within your hiring class, which makes coming to work even more enjoyable.

Cons

The headquarters is in the suburbs, which is quite a commute when trying to maintain a healthy, active social life in the city.

Advice to Management

None, as since being an intern they have opened an office in downtown Chicago, which I think is important in their efforts to continually recruit younger employees.

Frustrating and Exhausting

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wauconda, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wauconda, IL

I worked at Discover full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Lots of opportunity for personal professional growth

Cons

Political environment is mentally exhausting and extremely frustrating at times.

Advice to Management

Invest in your team, spend more time getting to know them and helping the team more cohesive.

Passive-Aggressive Environment

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Riverwoods, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Riverwoods, IL

I worked at Discover full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

-- Fantastic top executive management, especially CEO David Nelms and his direct reports -- Beautiful campus in Riverwoods headquarters, now with offices in downtown Chicago too -- Superior stock performance over time

Cons

-- A few entrenched, arrogant VPs are easily threatened and will freeze out new talent -- Too much bureaucracy, committees, and top-down approach to management within the functions

Advice to Management

Look closely at the employee opinion surveys for those VPs who are driving out talent. Find ways to empower directors, senior managers, and other staff as a counter to simmering frustration.

7. Project Coordinator

Former Contractor - Project Coordinator in Riverwoods, IL
    Former Contractor - Project Coordinator in Riverwoods, IL

I worked at Discover as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Excellent place to grow in your career. There is nothing holding you back except you. The people I worked with were experienced, helpful, and pushed you to be your best.

Cons

The only real con for me was the distance. It took me (on a good day) about 2 hours each way.

Advice to Management

Continue to work with your team and help them grow in their careers

8. good company, opportunities to advance

Former Employee - Finance Manager in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Finance Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at Discover

Pros

smart managers, good development programs,

Cons

can be political, need to rotate to advance

Come for the Work, Stay for the People

Former Employee - Business Analyst in Deerfield, IL
    Former Employee - Business Analyst in Deerfield, IL

I worked at Discover full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great environment because of the people and corporate culture. There is a great Incident and change management process in place. Some employees are able to work remotely.

Cons

40 hour work week is stretched when needed to 45+

Advice to Management

Rate employee based on work, not projects' perceived success.

Project Manager

Former Employee - Project Manager in Riverwoods, IL
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Riverwoods, IL

I worked at Discover

Pros

You are surrounded by a strong talent.

Cons

My work hours were 7AM to 7PM (no joke, and I was exempt). I always worked weekends and when I took PTO time. You are given a "crack berry" and expected to respond even when traveling world wide because they activate your international roaming to be in constant contact with you. Employees who have been working there for some time are treated sub-par when it came to pay compared to new employees. Very passive-aggressive environment. The culture is VERY bureaucratic. It seems like only employees who previously came from MBNA got promoted and moved up. If you want to succeed in this company, make sure you cater to the people who have the most influence with management, regardless of title. Get ready to be thrown under the bus when your manager makes a mistake. You get promoted based on how well you play your politics.

Advice to Management

Fire Senior Managers who constantly work on projects that fail throughout the company instead of promoting them.

11. A company with values, that values its people

Current Employee - Technical Communicator in Riverwoods, IL
    Current Employee - Technical Communicator in Riverwoods, IL

I have been working at Discover full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Before coming to work for Discover, I never saw (in person, at least) the C-level executives who led the companies I worked for. At Discover, the CEO, COO and other execs eat lunch elbow-to-elbow with everyone else. Beyond the company's congenial and accessible senior management, Discover actively supports and promotes corporate values such as volunteerism and respect (versus simply paying lip service to them), something I've personally witnessed via company-sponsored support of Chicago Cares, the Boys and Girls Club of Lake County, and other volunteering activities. I also appreciate the world-class campus I work at in Riverwoods, IL, with its on-site fitness center, gourmet cafeteria, basketball and vollyball courts, dry cleaning services and more.

Cons

Commuting to Riverwoods can sometimes be a challenge, particularly in winter, though such challenges are mitigated by management support of flexible work arrangements. As with any competitive company, deadlines sometimes require extra hours/effort, but those times simply make the generous paid-time-off (PTO) that much more enjoyable.

Advice to Management

Continue to focus on encouraging employees to move into new positions/opportunities within the company. Support of such internal movement helps employees gain valuable insights into other lines of business, helping Discover maintain an exceptionally qualified and competitive workforce.

RSS Feed </> Embed