Discover

Discover Reviews

Updated Apr 16, 2014

Discover Chairman & CEO David W. Nelms

David W. Nelms

Pros:
  • "For the most part, a strong work/life balance company"
    in 38 reviews
  • "Great benefits with plenty of paid time off"
    in 28 reviews
Cons:
  • "Work-life balance is nowhere to be seen"
    in 9 reviews
  • "It is a call center, the work is boring and repetitive and can be really hard"
    in 11 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Fantastic place to work

I have been working at Discover full-time

ProsBenefits, on-site perks, coworkers, location, intellectual challenges, strong recognition programs

ConsReview process can allow some employees to underperform

Great benefits, good environment.

Advanced Verification Analyst (Current Employee)
West Valley City, UT

I have been working at Discover full-time for more than a year

ProsThe best part of working at Discover is the office culture and the benefits. The retirement, health care, and dental programs are top notch. Employee recognition is a huge part of the company. They want you to treat customers like people instead of a cash cow, so they treat the employees like people too.

They like to give out fun prizes for motivation: for meeting small goals expect a lot of free gift cards, free food, and pot lucks. For meeting larger goals they tend to give out free vacation packages, pricey electronics, or cash prizes. They even give out prizes for things such as Halloween dress up parties. It's corny and silly, but it really keeps morale up and creates a friendly environment.

There is also more room for advancement within the company than most call centers offer.

ConsSalary for entry level positions can be a little disappointing, but the benefits make up for it.

A great place to work

I have been working at Discover

ProsI love the culture. I have been with the company for over 10 years and the people are the reason I stay.

ConsNone at this time. I am new to the Riverwoods office.

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great People

Senior Loan Underwriter (Current Employee)
West Valley, UT

I have been working at Discover full-time for more than 10 years

ProsPaid time off is FABULOUS!! Great environment. Work are home opportunities. Competitive Salary. Continual Training. Employees Opinions Surveys. Committees. 401K Plan. Health Benefits. Leadership Programs. Holiday Parties. The People. Company Value.

ConsSTRESSFUL. Call Center Environment. Statistics to meet are near impossible. Deadlines. Quality/Audit Teams are not in sync. Policies can change so fast with no communication. Training Department needs major improvement. Younger generations promote faster than those with years of experience. Favoritism is obvious.

Advice to Senior ManagementQuit feeding everyone junk food. Keep up the positive energy. Promote more from within. Listen up carefully to the feedback in the exit interviews.

Great place to work

IT Professional (Current Employee)

I have been working at Discover full-time for more than a year

Prostraining opportunities in IT
work-life balance

Consoffice culture is static
compensation in some cases below market

Great place to work, but we have our issues.

Project Manager (Current Employee)
Riverwoods, IL

I have been working at Discover full-time for less than a year

ProsOverall I enjoy the culture, values and I am bought into the future and goals of this company. I started as a contractor and now am a full time employee.

ConsThis is a very passive aggressive culture. If you are doing something wrong, you won't be told about it. No one wants to have a direct talk about performance. Organizational changes are often made out of the blue with little explanation. HR is awful, takes forever to get something done.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't just talk about company values and employee engagement, actually do something about it!

Good work life

Workflow Analyst (Current Employee)
Riverwoods, IL

I have been working at Discover as a contractor for less than a year

ProsYou have to have an open mind while working here. The campus is huge and there is a bunch of people. Pretty much a beautiful campus that makes this place whole.

ConsEnvironment really dry and strict and as a temp there is no room for promotion. Work a lot and then no work at all.

Customer Service

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Discover

ProsGreat place to work with excellence benefits. Always room for growth.

ConsPolitical. Promotions tend to be given to personal references, not really looking to actual talent.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook for raw talent and provide those a chance for an opportunity to grow.

Good company and values, boring repetitive customer service job

I have been working at Discover

ProsThe benefits are excellent. Compensation is fair. Lots of PTO available. Fun environment with lots of fun people. They try and make it seem like they want you to move up and succeed in the company.

ConsIt is a call center, the work is boring and repetitive and can be really hard. If customer service isn't your thing you won't last long. Limited advancement opportunities. Raises on average are maybe a dime or quarter an hour each year- whereas the CEO recently got a 10 million $ raise. High turnover

OK

Senior Financial Analyst (Former Employee)
Riverwoods, IL

I worked at Discover full-time for more than a year

ProsCompany culture is very good

ConsMicromanagement, very hard to advance your career

Worked for Discover? Contribute to the Community!

Discover Videos

Discover – Why Work for Us?

We've always believed in giving our customers the best service. When we introduced the first cash rewards credit card in 1986, we committed ourselves to meeting the needs of our cardmembers with the best possible… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Discover reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Discover CEO David W. Nelms. All 270 reviews posted anonymously by Discover employees.