Discover

Discover Reviews

Updated Jul 21, 2014

Discover Chairman & CEO David W. Nelms

David W. Nelms

Pros
  • Work life balance; culture; people; benefits; diversity; solid executive team(in 57 reviews)

• Great work/life balance, collaborative co-workers and great benefits(in 53 reviews)

Cons
  • There is not a great work/life balance, and you are always expected to work overtime(in 13 reviews)

• being on the phone constantly which i knew by applying at a call center job(in 20 reviews)

Great Place to Work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsWork is interesting and company is growing. As a result there are great opportunities for financial and analytic personnel. The company is expanding into more traditional banking products and doing so successfully.

ConsNot having an advanced degree or relevant work experience can make it difficult to get an opportunity. More vigilant regulatory oversight for financial institutions requires more review before any efforts are advanced.

Great place,to,work

Manager (Current Employee) Riverwoods, IL

ProsSmart people, flexible,working arrangements , value based decisions.

ConsDifficult to advance at certain levels

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide better oppourtunities to high potential candidates who may need some coaching.

Great Experience.

Project Coordinator (Former Employee) Riverwoods, IL

ProsGreat benefits, allow you to work from home if needed, great vacation and time off package. Pay is also great.

ConsNot the friendliest company to work for. Very political

Advice to Senior ManagementPromote more of a positive environment. Also communicate that contractors play an important role in the company. The permanant workers actually look down on contractors. It starts from the top.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Seemless and Progressive

ProsThey have a simple Process: Do what's best for the customer.

ConsGetting Comfortable with the Job you are working.....because Discover pays well.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue you innovate and stay ahead of the curve, and identify New People who have Great Ides to achieve that goal!!

Good place to work in IT, Keeps growing

Associate Software Engineering (Current Employee) Riverwoods, IL

Pros-Management that listens
    -Upper Management is very approachable
    -Fun Environment
    -25 Days of PTO starting day one
    -Company keeps growing and expanding products with good success.

ConsNot to many, there are some pain in the rear bureaucracy processes but, that is with any company. Some of the the teams in Business Technology need to get along a little better, or at least communicate a little better.

Great Place but you better kiss the right behind

Transaction Coordinator (Former Employee) Irvine, CA

ProsGreat Benefits, wonderful PTO nice work place

ConsThe good old boy network
    If you don't kiss the right behind you get no where they will promote someone who is not qualified over a qualified individual if that person kissed the right behind.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart advancing the people who work hard and have the experience, instead of those that make u feel good.

If you are bright and hardworking you can advance

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Riverwoods, IL

ProsWork life balance; culture; people; benefits; diversity; solid executive team

ConsCan be political; difficult to advance after a certain level; sometimes rewards conformity and group think; location / lack of flexible work schedule

Great Company

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsAwesome company to work for!

ConsNone, the benefits were great and from day one. It is a typical call center environment. Nothing bad sticks out.

Amazing company

Marketing Associate (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsAwesome people to work with

Conscould have faster growth for employees

Advice to Senior Managementnone

They take care of you.

Hiring Manager (Current Employee) West Valley City, UT

ProsGenerous paid time off
    Tuition Reimbursement
    Fun Atmosphere

ConsBase pay is not as high as competitors

Worked for Discover? Contribute to the Community!