Discover Reviews

Reset
2.0
Discover Chairman & CEO David W. Nelms
David W. Nelms

Pros
  • work life balance in control for half the year (in 77 reviews)

• Discover Card itself is a great company with great benefits (in 62 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance is nowhere to be seen (in 15 reviews)

• Stressful work enviornment (Call Center) (in 23 reviews)

1. Very disappointed with my experience there

I worked at Discover full-time

Pros

Great benefits, loved the people I worked with, good pay

Cons

People in HR are impossible to contact, unprofessional with how they treat some employees, don't hold up to promises, didn't receive any financial reimbursement for their mess ups with my paychecks

Advice to Management

Don't tell your employees they will be working over time and change your story when they aren't properly paid for it, when giving employees a raise it should be applied on the date on the paperwork not 2 months later, schedule employees the way you told them you would when they were hired, don't promise promotions if you're not going to give them, don't tell employees they will receive referral bonuses and not follow through.

2. Discover card

Former Employee - Customer Service Associate in Surprise, AZ
    Former Employee - Customer Service Associate in Surprise, AZ

I worked at Discover (Less than a year)

Pros

Great training and has a gym

Cons

No growth opportunity or development and non competitive pay

3. When did Customer Service become aggressive sales?

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Wilmington, DE
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Wilmington, DE

I worked at Discover part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Fair pay -Great on-site amenities (gym, nice cafeteria) -Helpful and extensive training (4 weeks) -Flexible hours

Cons

-Aggressive middle management -Sales structure in customer service unrealistically enforced (Reps are responsible for customers continuing on to the sales portion of the call AFTER they've completed the call with the customer. In other words, if a customer hangs up or declines to complete a purchase, the rep is penalized by warnings, write-up, probationary work periods, and finally severance--all this prompted by something the worker has absolutely NO CONTROL over!) -FAR too much emphasis on pushing sales during what it's supposed to be a customer relations incoming call. So a customer calls in for an account balance and gets aggressively pressured to open a new credit account on top of the account they already have.

Advice to Management

-The stress induced by a poor policy doesn't become more effective with heavy floor pacing and yelling behind employees as they attempt to manage an already challenging job.

Would be amazing if they hired/promoted for the sake of qualification and not inclusion

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New Castle, DE
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New Castle, DE

Pros

Great benefits- day 1 Gym Cafeteria/Restaurant Parking Recently Remodeled Lots of food all the time

Cons

If you're a prepared person, that is to say you went to school to bust your hump for a degree to LEARN a craft, then you're going to have a HORRIBLE time here. Hiring and promoting within the company is seemingly random with the only metric being used is inclusion of EVERYONE, instead of saying "Employees A, B, E, and F have the REQUIRED experience, qualifications, and credentials for this position we need... but employee C, and D are just spunky and wacky! And we talk about sports often, so we'll go with C and D". This causes problems because it REFLECTS in the quality of the company/work. I will give an example: I am a prepared, college educated, and business professional that can, at the VERY least, display common sense, tact, and showmanship. I want you to try to imagine my gut wrenching embarrassment every time I receive a call from an irate business owner. After a whirlwind of confusion, this customer is demanding that I review his account for fraudulent activity. I see none and ask what the problem was. The person proceeds to tell me that they called 5 minutes ago and assumed they called the wrong place because someone was speaking "in ebonics" and "ghetto" to them. I review the person's account and see that they DID indeed call us 5 minutes ago, and that they WEREN'T just speaking to "a hoodlum", but one of our reps. I want you to imagine that few brief seconds in time that feel like an eternity where I have to close my eyes, take a deep breath, and think about my family and why I do this before I explain to this rightfully so irate customer that "You were indeed speaking with one of our many 'talented and expert' representatives". And then I am the one who has to take the verbal beating and has to come up with an answer to the customer's question "what the hell is going on over there?" Nobody should have to go through this- especially someone who took the time to prepare themselves in life to only get passed up by people who use words like "Axe" instead of "ask" and "y'all" instead of "you". I feel like an office culture and morale shouldn't be defined by phrases like "turn up". It's okay to have a lax environment, but this is beyond ridiculous when you're dealing with clients and business owners with jargon that should only be used when selling cigarettes out the back of an 18-wheeler. Because of this reverse discrimination culture, you see REALLY good and talented employees constantly disciplined for the most ludicrous actions. I once saw a woman fail a perfect transaction for quietly clearing her throat and then excusing herself to the client on the phone. And I've seen people get awarded perfect call scores with bonuses while maintaining a flippant, sarcastic, and belligerent attitude towards callers who were more difficult to understand due to an accent.

Advice to Management

To Management: Discrimination is NEVER justified- even when you do it in reverse. To Prepared Employees: Colossal waste of time. Better off looking for a company who's not tying to be "the cool parent".

6. It was ok if you need a job

I have been working at Discover full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

People were nice. Tried to be helpful. Good benefits. Fun contests. I won $1000 once.

Cons

You are on the phones all day dealing with people that don't want to talk to you because they can't pay. It can be hard.

Advice to Management

Think of more creative ways to or let people experiment with what works for them in openings and such

IT Mnager

Current Employee - IT Management in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - IT Management in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Discover full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Some super sharp technologist.

Cons

Audit & security overload. Zero risk policy. Dark ages - policy on remote work.

Advice to Management

Stop decision by committee.

Not honest about the role

Former Employee - Manager in Riverwoods, IL
    Former Employee - Manager in Riverwoods, IL

I worked at Discover full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Time off and not having stress on the job

Cons

You won't do what they say you will do. Top guy in the marketing analytics group said they don't like to hear talk about statistical significance because it doesn't matter compared to the idea of the marketing program. They should probably go back to the 1990s in that case because all the advanced tools in the world don't matter if you don't know how to use them and management doesn't care about what they spend money on.

Advice to Management

Middle management should do the honorable thing and fire themselves

Discover

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Gahanna, OH
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Gahanna, OH

I worked at Discover (More than a year)

Pros

Benefits - The insurance and 401k were good and start day 1 Pay- Starting pay is good. Bonus - You can earn monthly bonuses and get more depending on the dept. you are in Co-workers - The people I met there that were doing the same thing I were, were amazing.

Cons

Stress - Very stressful job and sadly you do not get the support you need from higher up. Boss - There are very few people that are in a management position that actually care about their employees. A lot, of them have ever done the actual job to know what it is like. Instead of listening to employees they do things there way and that may be very different than the team you were on just 1 day ago. HR - I personally went to HR with concerns and nothing was done, it got to the point that I had to leave the job due to medical issues caused by my direct supervisor.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees. Just because you like things done a certain way does not mean that is right for everyone. If the employee is doing things differently than you, but still doing an above average or excellent job, you should not punish them by giving them lower scores because that is not how you would do it. HR needs to actually listen to complaints and do something about them, if one person has them then I know way more do. I was the only one brave enough on my team to speak up and nothing was done for me.

10. Call Center

Former Employee - Fraud Representative in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Fraud Representative in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Discover full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Decent benefits and that's about it.

Cons

Compensation is horrible, stressful work environment with always having to meet stricter call times, no path for advancement, management is not very helpful, schedule usually sucks, shortest break of any job I have every had.

Advice to Management

Pay your workers a living wage and stop putting so much pressure on call handling time.

Frustrating and Exhausting

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wauconda, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wauconda, IL

I worked at Discover full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Lots of opportunity for personal professional growth

Cons

Political environment is mentally exhausting and extremely frustrating at times.

Advice to Management

Invest in your team, spend more time getting to know them and helping the team more cohesive.

RSS Feed </> Embed