Discover

Discover Reviews

Updated Jul 29, 2014

Discover Chairman & CEO David W. Nelms

David W. Nelms

Pros
  • Work life balance; culture; people; benefits; diversity; solid executive team (in 57 reviews)

• Great work/life balance, collaborative co-workers and great benefits (in 53 reviews)

Cons
  • There is not a great work/life balance, and you are always expected to work overtime (in 13 reviews)

• being on the phone constantly which i knew by applying at a call center job (in 20 reviews)

More Highlights

They take care of you.

Hiring Manager (Current Employee) West Valley City, UT

ProsGenerous paid time off
    Tuition Reimbursement
    Fun Atmosphere

ConsBase pay is not as high as competitors

Great place to work

ProsBenefits are great! Good collaboration among teams.

ConsWork/ Life balance is horrible

Great executive leadership, horrible middle managers.

Project Manager (Former Employee) Riverwoods, IL

ProsDiscover is a great place to start your career, as can be seen by the large amount of college aged employees walking the hallways. The C-Suite is very approachable and maintains an open-door policy for all of its employees. I was always impressed by the casualness of the VP's and Directors and their willingness to listen to customer feedback for the sake of self improvement.

ConsThere are very little opportunities to advance into management, the medical benefits are expensive for families and are more advantageous for single employees and employees are either working too little or too much depending on which department you work in.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Varies by Business Unit

ProsDepends on manager and business unit. Good company (overall profitability) with decent salary and benefits.

ConsPolitics are strong. Culture can be aggressive and passive aggressive. Career development lacking especially for diverse employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementPeople managers need basic manager training. Invest in developing your leaders.

Great Company

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsAwesome company to work for!

ConsNone, the benefits were great and from day one. It is a typical call center environment. Nothing bad sticks out.

great job

Prosnice people great benefits -- highly recommend working here you will really enjoy it -- been working here for 4 years now and am very happy

Consthe commute is pretty long up to riverwoods if you're not living in the north suburbs but the campus is very nice so it's worthwhile

Professional company

ProsProfessional, a great place to develop an career.

Consnot sure, needs to find out

An ethical company

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Phoenix, AZ

ProsDiscover offers great benefits. I am also very pleased with the amount of overall good they try to do as a company.

ConsI felt stuck in my position, so I started applying elsewhere for jobs that would be a better fit for me. They have a new rule that you can't apply for other positions within the company until you have been in your current one for a year, and while I understand their reasoning, the position I am in is not a good fit for me.

Advice to Senior ManagementSeveral employees are intimidated talking to upper management, so focus on creating relationships with all the employees under you, not just the next management level down.

Great pay

Senior Underwriter (Current Employee) Salt Lake City, UT

ProsOngoing training as promised

Consbeing on the phone constantly which i knew by applying at a call center job

Outstanding company

Senior Manager (Current Employee) Riverwoods, IL

ProsEmployee oriented, focused on developement, compensation is fair. Executive leadership is outstanding

ConsThere is inconsistent support of work at home

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you are doing!

Worked for Discover? Contribute to the Community!