DiscoverOrg Reviews

Updated January 19, 2015
8 reviews filtered by
4.4
Henry Schuck

1. Great company to work for!

I have been working at DiscoverOrg

Pros

DiscoverOrg is hands down the best place I have ever worked! It's a fun atmosphere and great work environment. We work hard and have fun all at the same time! Plenty of room to move up, you just need to prove you are willing to work hard! The owners are passionate and hands on workers! Upper management is also very approachable and hard workers! I look forward to coming to work everyday knowing we are going to work hard as a team and have fun!

Cons

No 401k. SomethinI that i think would be a huge perk!

401k would be fantastic!

2. Fun and exciting place to work

Current Employee - Account Executive in Vancouver, WA
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Vancouver, WA

I have been working at DiscoverOrg

Pros

DiscoverOrg is a growing company with great people to work with. When I first came on board with about 8 AE's and CSM's in the fall, there were three (maybe four?) offices scattered in a business park because the company was growing so fast. Some of us were just moved into a huge building (with great views of Mt. Hood and the Columbia River, btw) and once the two-floors are built out we'll be taking up are completely built out -- the entire company (160+ employees) will finally under the same roof in Downtown Vancouver.

I can only speak for the Sales team, but it's a fun group of people with a lot of energy. The Senior AE's are very good and very experienced, they're also great about helping out the new AE's and being around them will make you better. The Directors/VPs of Sales are really hands-on with training and always willing to drop what they're doing to help. If you have an idea or suggestion on how you could improve something -- they listen. Need a better headset? They'll order a new pair for you that day. It's refreshing and completely different from the companies I've worked for in the past with crappy management that doesn't listen and acts like they're royalty.

Henry, the CEO, is a passionate dude that is approachable and fun to be around. Him and Kirk (the COO, I believe) built the company from the ground up. Like the Directors and VPs, anyone can walk into Henry's office to talk and make suggestions of how DO could do things better.

DiscoverOrg's platform is a great product. The Research team and Sales team have a lot of mutual respect for one another: the platform and research never lets the Sales team down, because the Researchers are really good and take a lot of pride in what they do. The Company gatherings are a lot of fun. i think they do them 3-4x a year. Lots of food and drinks. We went bowling, and throughout the night they gave away about $2,000 in cash for trick shots and best costumes.

The bottom-line is it's just a good environment to work in, and you feel like the company is going places, and you're glad to be a part of it. Glad I left my old job for this place.

Cons

Folgers coffee in the break room - it's terrible. I'd also like to see some free snacks and drinks around here.

Keep it up.

No Dead Ends at DiscoverOrg

Current Employee - Senior Client Success Manager in Vancouver, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Client Success Manager in Vancouver, WA

I have been working at DiscoverOrg full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The work environment is top notch. I have worked at companies where everyone is watching out for their own self-interests. DiscoverOrg could not be more different. Everyone is supportive as opposed to combative and the success of the team is more important than the success of an individual.

Management is friendly and always has an open door. Ideas are welcomed and change (outside of the data collection method) is not feared. They take a hands on approach, providing a personal involvement with employees instead of standing on high dictating orders.

In addition, management rewards hard work and promotes from within as much as possible. A refreshing change from the "you've been here longest" mentality.

One of the biggest Pros is that you can believe in the service DiscoverOrg provides. When you can rely on facts as opposed to embellishments, you are in a good spot.

Cons

The only challenges are those that come with a rapidly expanding company. All good problems to have.

Really need a 401K. I plan on staying with this company as long as they will have me and would like some financial security in that decision.

Very positive work environment

I have been working at DiscoverOrg full-time

Pros

Management cares about the employees. Senior management listens to all the staff. It does not feel much like corporate America.

Cons

The benefit package is not very good, but this is a small company. Company should consider a 401 k program.

Keep the company growing!

High Growth Potential

Current Employee - Research Analyst in Vancouver, WA
    Current Employee - Research Analyst in Vancouver, WA

I have been working at DiscoverOrg full-time (more than a year)

Pros

For any company looking to nail down employee loyalty, they need to look at what DiscoverOrg has done. Managers are friendly and passionate about their jobs and treat everyone with the utmost respect. Never in my life have I felt like my employers actually cared about me until I got this job. Raises, promotions, and bonuses are performance based which keeps the team striving to do their best.

Cons

My work station changes quite a bit due to the growth of the company which is a bit of a pain but honestly, I could do the research in the hallway as long as I have a phone in hand.

Keep up the personal touch!

Fast-paced, rewarding work in a quickly growing company

Current Employee - Research in Vancouver, WA

I have been working at DiscoverOrg full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The company is very successful, growing quickly, and constantly hiring and promoting from within. While no longer a start-up, the company makes efforts to bring employees from every department together often through hosted lunches, bowling nights and events celebrating sales and research successes – most recently the entire company celebrated reaching 93% direct dials on the Portland Spirit dinner cruise. Co-workers are close and get along well, with many getting together for drinks outside of work. The owners are very friendly, active in the company, and invested in their employees. One of the co-owners even has employees over for football on Sundays. Solid, affordable health insurance through Kaiser Permanente, dental through Willamette Dental, and Aflac is also offered. Extra hours available to research staff, casual dress for research and IT, PTO available, gift cards for projects completed well, lots of room for advancement as all lead research and management positions are promoted from within.

Cons

The workload can be overwhelming at times. Expectations are high and do shift as needs arise. The company has outgrown three buildings since I came on board, and as departments have grown, many employees have been shuffled and reshuffled into smaller work spaces, which can be frustrating. It would be nice if the company purchased a larger building so every department could once again be housed under one roof. Given funding, I am sure this is the plan.

Better communication with one another and delivery of a unified message to each department. A consistent performance review schedule so employees know where they stand and what their expectations are.

8. Good To Work For

Current Employee - Research in Vancouver, WA

I have been working at DiscoverOrg full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Most of the managers are pretty nice, and the executive who works in our building (Kirk) is very involved and fun to work with. Current office is pretty full, but I think they plan on moving us soon. Some departments seem to have room for growth, which is nice. My manager works well with my appointments, which is good.

Cons

~High management doesn't comment on our work much (our department anyways), and individuals in other departments don't seem to appreciate it either. A thank you after finding contacts on a short deadline would be nice.
    ~Communication period between most departments, mainly research to sales or account management, lacks severely.
    ~Each department is more or less its own ecosystem instead of an integrated unified company.There are cliques like college, we have our popular kids, geeks, jocks, preps and loners.
    ~Some perks differ from manager to manager. Rewards, birthday/work anniversaries, ect. Would be nice if again, people were on the same age.

Bring all managers to same page as far as what is going in on the company so that they can in turn inform the individuals below them.

9. A good starting point for recent high school graduates, but not for ambitious movers or experienced professionals.

Former Employee - Research Analyst
    Former Employee - Research Analyst

I worked at DiscoverOrg full-time (less than a year)

Pros

I liked that my hours were 7AM to 3PM. Nice to get out early. The environment is lax and there is no overbearing dress code. The company is moving to a new building in downtown Vancouver, which I think will be an improvement. I got along well with my coworkers and immediate supervisors.

Cons

As a young person coming out of college, I took this as my first job. I was told from the start that there would be opportunities to grow and move within the company. I worked my butt off and performed extremely well, but came to find out that there was, in fact, no opportunity for me to move beyond my starting point. I felt like my ambition was seen as a negative by upper management. I think that they prefer employees are content to stay in low level, low-paying positions.

Please know coming in that if you take a research analyst job, it will be boring. You will be doing a small set of computer tasks all day, every day. There really aren't added responsibilities to be had. You will earn $11.50 per hour and receive 7 days paid time off for your first year (provided that you start early in the year), which includes sick days.

Job security is always going to be an issue here, it seems, as my layoff was one of many, and I have heard that there have been previous waves of layoffs like it.

Don't say things that you don't mean and hire some more people for HR.