Discovery Clothing

Be The First To
Add Photos

Kenny Goldman

Cashier

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsYou will learn a lot. You'll basically learn how to run the store after gaining cashier status, which you should be promoted after one month of working.

ConsYou'll either work long hours and have no life, but a decent paycheck or you will have very little hours. The managers pick your schedule so depending on who the store manager is, you may have an equal share of hours like everyone else or you will have nothing. Also, the holidays contributes to how much you have to work. Before the holidays, they will need everyone; after the holidays, they start to cut hours.

Good side job, but can never make a living from it.

Manager (Current Employee)

ProsIf you love a face pace environment, good music while working, and flexible schedule with varying hours per season, this is the job.

ConsIn the management area, there is too much stress for such little pay. The policies are insane and not customer service focused.

Advice to Senior ManagementNo.

Discovery was probably the worst job I have ever had

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Pros20% employee discount... that is about it.

ConsIf you are under 18, you get paid $8.00 an hour (the minimum wage is $8.25)
    It is almost impossible to get the days you need off even if you ask.
    Once you are hired you cannot visit or shop at any other Discovery but the one you work at (I'm serious. this is actually a rule)
    You get on-calls where you have to call the store to see if they need you that day, this makes it impossible to make plans when there is a 50/50 chance you might work.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Sales Associates

Sales Associate (Current Employee)
    Appleton, WI

Pros-Good prices &nd discounts .
    -Cute Clothings.
    -Good pay
    -Flexible hours

Cons-Poorly managed
    -Unorganized
    -Hours always cut
    -Part time, no benefits

I didn't believe there was a job like this until I started working here

(Former Employee)

ProsA paycheck;
    Seeing the new style trends in clothing;

ConsThe hours: work-life balance (you are not expected to have a life outside the store, or go to school or get another job or get sick (forget about asking for a day off or a different schedule because they need a detailed description of what you need the time off for -- (your child's 3rd birthday or a death of a loved one or a serious illness is NOT a good excuse)...

Employee treatment: Managers discriminate; you are expected to work every second while you are on the clock (If you do not they stand next to you and yell at you); and there is waaaay too much gossip going on and it feels much like harassment;
    (If you do not believe me go to Discovery next time and look at the way employees act)

Other stuff: I was explicitly told by the management that I do not spend enough of my hard earned money at the store. (I work to pay bills to live not only to shop for clothing.)
    I would get calls all the time from Discovery. When it was my day off there would be some kind of a reason that they would call me. When I was working that day and I went home, someone would call me to say something that was so important it could not wait until tomorrow.
    There were plenty of times when the schedule was changed by the management without letting the employees know.
    Break times/bathroom breaks-There were numerous times when non-managerial employees had to wait hours to go to the bathroom but the management was too busy to go and unlock the bathroom.

When I first started working there nobody gave me any words of encouragement. Nobody said if I was doing a good job. I thought everything I did was so wrong. All they did was scream at me. Isn't it enough for employees to receive such treatment from customers, but why do they have to listen to their managers yell at them too? I often wondered if I was such a bad employee why did they keep me around? Why didn't they hire someone who was better than me, faster than me, able to smile more, ignore rude remarks better, who was more robot-like efficient and not human? Everything I did... according to them was: was wrong. I was too slow, dressed wrong, smiled wrong, existed wrong.

None of this I have stated is a top secret. Everything is a fact from my employment. I am not just a disgruntled employee. I believed in this company a little bit. I am not saying that Discovery is a totally bad company but they certainly have tons of room for improvement.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you are humans and not robots you will understand that people need compassion and something called human rights. Stop treating your employees like criminals. The clothing pat downs have got to go. Think of another more humane solution to internal theft. If you don't trust your employees how can they trust you? Get a changing room for your customers. It is the #1 complaint. Make a strict no return policy on your items. I heard a lot of customers say that because they can return it they wear the item and still manage to get their money back. Don't you care about your company?

It is ok not the best job i would not recommend if you hate retail.

ProsPromotions are easily earned. Just work Hard

ConsPreference with other employees and not to many opportunities after the amount of time you work there.

Great Job for students in High School

Manager (Current Employee)
    Aurora, IL

ProsQuick Advancement, great raises, great company

ConsOften cut hours, get off late

Fun if your in high school not for adults or the mature

Authorizer (Former Employee)
    Chicago, IL

ProsNew shipment everyday that you see first & allows for free creativity when merchandising my merchandising manager really mentored me and knew me on a personal basis

ConsThe wages are terrible they expect so much but offer so little many of the managers should not be managers to immature and not knowledgable of even basic human resource protocol I had 2 interviews to be an assistant manager both times I was told I was "too nice" & "too caring" but left the company & became a co manager making salary with a much more
    reputable company the person who was chosen was young and took over a year to train they would purposely put us on shifts together so I could put out her fires until she got "comfortable" they have ridiculous rules you feel as though you are their child and cannot be trusted advancement is based on favoritism loss prevention is key customer service is not very different rules culture and values from other companies I have worked

Advice to Senior ManagementThe clothes are cheap so they will always have business but they constantly loose employees learn to treat and value them stop the restrictions and get real managers with experience ! Advancement is not based on work experience knowledge or even seniority create a clear criteria for advancement opportunities overall messy business practices

A good job

Authorizer (Former Employee)
    Milwaukee, WI

ProsPay is decent
    Friendly customers
    Friendly coworkers
    Can move up if you work hard
    It is fun!

ConsWhat you are being payed, for the amount of work you are doing is low.
    Sometimes communication between managers is not the best which confuses rest of the staff & can get chaotic & frustrating.
    No benefits for me
    I couldn't transfer to another store, so I had to quit. Apparently once you quit another location can't hire you? I was told by management. Which is unfortunate because I truly loved my job & the company,

Advice to Senior ManagementI've met some of you & you were wonderful from my experience.
    Showed care & support.
    Communication needs help at times.

Hands down worst job I've ever had

Sales Staff (Former Employee)
    Algonquin, IL

ProsFast paced environment kept me busy, and at least some of the girls got along.

ConsTerrible management, high turn over rate, low employee moral, no chance for advancement, low wages, rude and condescending owner, unrealistic expectations, refusal to hire males, tedious unsafe work environments that left employees feeling uncomfortable. Also, being searched multiple times per work day to prevent theft made me very uncomfortable.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat (and pay) your employees like they are humans, and your employees will become more loyal and show more initiative.

Worked for Discovery Clothing? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Discovery Clothing reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Discovery Clothing CEO Kenny Goldman. All 16 reviews posted anonymously by Discovery Clothing employees.