Discovery Communications

Discovery Communications Reviews in Miami-Fort Lauderdale, FL

Updated Jun 15, 2014

Discovery Communications President and CEO David M. Zaslav

David M. Zaslav

Pros
  • I was given so many great opportunities - from growing in my career to having a great work/life balance (in 25 reviews)

• Large company with great benefits, including telework options (in 25 reviews)

Cons
  • Zero work/life balance where any addition employee perk could not even been enjoyed (in 19 reviews)

• Upper management that does not listen to the feedback of its middle management (in 15 reviews)

More Highlights

ConsIt a 24/7 facility, so lots of nights and weekends required

Advice to Senior ManagementNone

Discovery Miami Office

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Miami, FL

ProsGreat work ethics. People have been there forever so it's like a big family. Nice people. Excellent benefits and pay. Beautiful offices. Great HR department.

ConsVery resistant to change. Extremely territorial. People work on silos. No synergies among departments. It's a company that does not believe/invest in digital. Old fashion way of thinking when it comes to original production. Limited growth opportunities. Could be frustrating if you come from an organization that values reinvention and change.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop comparing against your own benchmarks. Start looking to other metrics, not only ratings.

It's a great place to work. There are very few places out there with a culture like theirs.

Producer (Current Employee) Miami, FL

ProsThe people. Young, Vibrant and easy going, despite being a cable TV network. Excellent Content.

ConsLike every other big company, the internal bureaucracy and probably the pay. But that's it.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you could speed up some of the processes and pay a little better, it would be better than great.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great culture, poor management

Client Coordinator (Former Employee) Miami, FL

ProsGreat culture, excellent job experience and benefits

ConsPoor management, excessive hours with no breaks

Advice to Senior ManagementCompensation and fair treatment.

It may not be what it appears to be...

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Miami, FL

ProsThis review is of the Broadcast group:

Great name on your resume-just get out before it goes bad-it will.
    You will be great if you never disagree or say no to upper management.

ConsNegative upper management
    No loyalty to employees-recent changes included getting rid of several long term managers. Money? Shorter term mangers were retained.
    No work-life balance if you are in a position that supports broadcast. Salary means work till you drop.
    Office politics interfere with efficiencies. HR plays favorites to their friends.

Advice to Senior ManagementRespect the people that work for you, don't fear them or their ideas just because they may not agree with yours. If you just want someone who just says yes you don't understand good management.
    Good leadership comes from the top and what is in place doesn't know how to lead. That's where the changes are needed.
    Management's focus is very negative. Pay attention to the big picture not just the errors.

Work hard here, get promoted elsewhere

Manager (Former Employee) Miami, FL

ProsFellow employees are friendly and cordial

ConsUpward mobility is very limited

Advice to Senior ManagementHire more employees

It is a GREAT company with EXCELLENT benefits. Just hope you don't have a moron for a boss!

Program Planner (Former Employee) Miami, FL

ProsGreat company, great perks, great parties, great work/life balance, EXCELLENT benefits.

ConsAWFUL middle management. It's tough when your boss is a complete idiot!

Advice to Senior ManagementGive out management training to all managers and periodically have them rated by their direct reports.

GREAT benefits, but beware of incompetent managers!!!

Program Planner (Current Employee) Miami, FL

ProsEXCELLENT benefits, great insurance, fun parties, nice people

ConsIncompetent managers who think they're all-knowing

Advice to Senior ManagementTake a real look at your employees and dont' go based on an incompetent manager's "opinion"

family work ambiance, motivational work ethic and inspiring brand! great benefits and overall package

Program Sales Coordinator (Current Employee) Miami, FL

Prosgreat benefits, flexible schedules, superb rewards program, quality of people, social responsibility, opportunity to grow

Conslow salaries, even compared with other companies in the same industry - we are in the low end, work load and skills are high when compared to others

Advice to Senior Managementsalaries should be higher...

Still here after more than 10 years.

Supervisor (Current Employee) Miami, FL

ProsRespect of your opinion, being well informed on we're they company is heading and status of company at all times. Family oriented company with flexible schedules in summer for attending to your kids, stock options and bonus every year. Special awards and we have a great HR department. Great place the only problem is that you will need to be set and happy were you are at since advancement is limited, because it's such a great place to work that no one wants to leave. If you want a place to work and meet great people that will become like family and do not care abut becoming vp or director, this is it... Also they will take you back if you leave in good standing.

ConsGreat place the only problem is that you will need to be set and happy were you are at since advancement is limited, because it's such a great place to work that no one wants to leave. Not much swag, that will be one of the few "needs improvement" areas you will get a t shirt or discovery cup every 6 years average.

Advice to Senior ManagementSwag, more meet and greet with stars of our networks and bring back Ismaily.

Worked for Discovery Communications? Contribute to the Community!