Discovery Communications

Discovery Communications Reviews in New York City, NY

Updated Jul 9, 2014

Discovery Communications President and CEO David M. Zaslav

David M. Zaslav

Pros
  • I was given so many great opportunities - from growing in my career to having a great work/life balance(in 24 reviews)

• Large company with great benefits, including telework options(in 25 reviews)

Cons
  • Zero work/life balance where any addition employee perk could not even been enjoyed(in 19 reviews)

• Upper management that does not listen to the feedback of its middle management(in 15 reviews)

17 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great place to work

Ad Sales (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsTop rated programming, great brands, supportive work environemnt, challenging. Discover is a great place to launch your media career. Great corporate culture, management puts great emphasis on work, life balance.

ConsThe career path for someone in Ad Sales is very clear but seems very hard to actually move up in rank to become an Account Executive. Some of the work performed by Sales Assistants seems a bit mind numbing.

Undervalued and out of the loop.

Analyst (Current Employee) New York, NY

Pros- Great perks
    - Good people
    - Relaxed environment in the research department (unlike ad sales)
    - Easy to take pride in the brand

Cons- Feel like just a cog, very replaceable and undervalued
    - Low pay
    - Boring; management unresponsive when asked for more responsibility
    - I feel like my brain is rotting
    - Generally unorganized and no communication between teams and groups

Advice to Senior ManagementValue your new employees! They could be the ones to stay with the company and shape it in the future, but the turnover rate is so high...

High Attrition, Poor Leadership, Good Benefits

(Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsThe benefits offered by the company are really good and people are great to work with.

ConsThis review is for the Digital Media department.

Upper management doesn't seem to have a long-term plan for successfully leading and growing the Digital Media team and taking care of its people. There is a high rate of attrition caused by people leaving and frequent layoffs; I've seen employees hired less than 4-months ago suddenly told that their position was being eliminated.

There is a cloud of despair and disillusionment within the department that stems from upper managements complete lack of awareness when it comes to treating employees with respect and providing them with a stable and fulfilling working environment. Instead there is the feeling that everyone is expandable and easily replaced by a consultant.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop playing lip service and actually show employees the respect they deserve. We need leadership that has a vision for growing the department and nurturing employees talents, instead of upper management that is quick to the draw without having a real plan of action.

Upper management needs to start proving that they learnt more than the Pareto principle in B-School.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A great place to work

Finance (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsGreat work life balance, room for growth, smart people to collaborate with

Conshigh stress atmosphere with average pay

This is an amazing company to work for.

Intern (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsFun environment, lots of room for career growth, great clients, strong brand to work with, great perks, like parties for new seasons of shows

Conssometimes, you have to work super long hours, but that seems to be the same at all advertising sales based jobs. Also, you have to make sure to have a lot of patience. Sometimes, clients will try and walk all over you.

Great place to work, reasonable hours, mediocre pay.

Intern (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsGreat group of people, fun atmosphere, reasonable hours, in some cases 9-6PM

ConsMediocre pay, probably on par with industry.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay people more.

Great for work-life balance

Director (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsInclusive culture, lots of leeway for family obligations, open communication between depts

ConsVery corporate, rah-rah about the brand, yes--man to leadership

Advice to Senior ManagementEncourage and reward those who challenge the status quo.

Interesting place to gain major industry experience if you can handle the pace. Some headaches.

Production Assistant (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsSmart, talented people who are passionate about creating very engaging, quality content. State of the art studio and access to tons of great resources.

ConsLots of layers to pass through during approval process. Some processes are so ingrained that it's hard to effect meaningful change. Could use some perks.

Best Place to Intern

Ad Sales Intern (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsGreat program with tons of learning opportunities. The final presentation at the end of the summer was great and got to do a lot. Great entry if you want to go into Ad Sales.

ConsThey get busy so sometimes you have to find stuff to do.
    Not paid in NYC is difficult.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement was great and met with the interns a lot. Zaslav met with us a few times.

It was an OK experience, not very hands on

Sales Assistant (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsGreat Culture
    Work with alot of cool TV networks, TLC, Animal Planet, Discovery Channel
    Everyone seems friendly
    Activities for employees to participate in

Conshard to move up on the corporate ladder
    favoritism
    your work can go unnoticed
    the pay is low for someone just starting out

Advice to Senior Managementpay attention to all employees no matter what their status at the job is

Worked for Discovery Communications? Contribute to the Community!