Discovery Communications

Updated September 29, 2014
3.6

Discovery Communications President and CEO David M. Zaslav
David M. Zaslav

Pros
  • I was given so many great opportunities - from growing in my career to having a great work/life balance (in 25 reviews)

• Large company with great benefits, including telework options (in 27 reviews)

Cons
  • Zero work/life balance where any addition employee perk could not even been enjoyed (in 18 reviews)

• Upper management that does not listen to the feedback of its middle management (in 15 reviews)

More Highlights

Great and fun place to work!

Current Employee - Master Control Operator  in  Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Master Control Operator in Miami, FL

I have been working at Discovery Communications full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great Benefits, including great medical and dental plans, vacation time, sick days, personal days, paid maternity leave, yearly bonus(based on individual performance and company performance) and federal holidays (depending on the your position). Promotions are based on performance, and not seniority.

Cons

Boring, easy work, but perhaps I am bias coming from a high adrenaline industry.

Gather employee input before forcing new SOP that will end up being changed several times over before being finalized.

Great Learning Experience

Current Employee - Intern  in  Silver Spring, MD
    Current Employee - Intern in Silver Spring, MD

I have been working at Discovery Communications as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Discovery has been a great place to learn. The managers are very open to questions, give constant feedback and advice, and make you feel like part of the team.

You will not be fetching coffee for people. As an intern, you will be part of the team.

Cons

The company is very vast, and there can be a daunting "breaking-in" period when it comes to the "who" and the "why". Internal politics can get complicated.

Discovery was GREAT!

I have been working at Discovery Communications

Pros

Real world learning experience.

Cons

Staff wasn't always friendly.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Discovery Channel, still operating like it's 1995

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Silver Spring, MD
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Silver Spring, MD

I have been working at Discovery Communications full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

There are some fantastic in house benefits: on-sight wellness center; free yoga and bootcamp, daycare, an inflatable shark attached to the building every couple of years...

Cons

... but the benefits don't make up for the lousy pay (it's TV, who needs to pay rent?); the little to no likelihood of advancement unless you're already walking out the door; and a senior management that's still programming and promoting like it's 1995 and diversity isn't a necessary part of building a successful brand.

Fire everybody. This management is so co-dependent and dysfunctional, a therapist would recommend a divorce. Running your networks based on fear is not going to inspire anyone to great heights.

A good experience, but I wouldn't do it again

Former Employee - Accounts Payable Intern  in  Silver Spring, MD
    Former Employee - Accounts Payable Intern in Silver Spring, MD

I worked at Discovery Communications as an intern for less than a year

Pros

It has awesome offices, interesting content and was good corporate experience for an intern.

Cons

My department manager didn't communicate very well - we didn't have a single one on one until the closing interview (and I set up multiple ones on the calendar). I didn't learn anything beyond the things I needed to complete the job.

Invest more in developing people across all levels - including interns.

Amazing Experience

Current Employee - Intern  in  Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Intern in Washington, DC

Pros

Culture is great. Easy to learn and move. The company truly invests in you if you make the investment in them. I have loved every minute at Discovery. Aton of career guidance and introductions are offered.

Cons

Take advantage of everything offered as an intern. It seems like it is less accessible if you get hired full time regarding introductions and "special' treatment.

I enjoyed the time that I worked at Discovery Communications!!

Former Employee - Accounting Specialist  in  Silver Spring, MD
    Former Employee - Accounting Specialist in Silver Spring, MD

I worked at Discovery Communications as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

I worked as a temp, however, based on what I'd seen, it is very corporate with additional benefits as an entertainment environment.

Cons

Typical corporate politics, however, very entertaining.

Great place to work

Current Employee - Senior Editor  in  Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Senior Editor in Miami, FL

I have been working at Discovery Communications full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

This place is great to work at, the people, the culture, the benefits. In my time woking at Discovery, I have been provided with the training and tools to allow me to grow, as well as the motivation in yearly bonuses to stay committed to do better every year.

Cons

You're never 100% happy with any job, but if I have to say that there's one thing I don't like about this company, it would have nothing to do with my job; I would like to get back the smart Discovery programming we used to have, and stop catering to the hillbilly audience. Again, that's just my own opinion.

Watch Cosmos. Discovery should have done that, not NATGEO.

If only...

I have been working at Discovery Communications full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Discovery has great brands, most of which you can be proud to represent! The company is truly global, and there is a lot going on...everywhere. Benefits are strong, and the corporate culture is almost great.

Cons

The company is almost great. Unfortunately, the gap between good and great doesn't seem to ever close. The emphasis on making it great for the employees will likely never be there as long as the financial results remain strong and people stay put. If it ain't broke...

Consider sharing the successes of the company with those who deliver the success. If not with money, with more complete programs that are actually supported by all levels.

Project Manager

Former Employee - Project Manager  in  Silver Spring, MD
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Silver Spring, MD

I worked at Discovery Communications full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Great name recognition, interesting and exciting business. Great benefits.

Cons

Culture of adhoc business practices. Chaotic management.

Establish a PMO.

Discovery Communications Photos

Worked for Discovery Communications? Contribute to the Community!