Discovery Communications Reviews

Reset
3.7
Discovery Communications President and CEO David M. Zaslav
David M. Zaslav

Pros
  • Good work/life balance programs (in 27 reviews)

• Large company with great benefits, including telework options (in 27 reviews)

Cons
  • No work-life balance if you are in a position that supports broadcast (in 19 reviews)

• Some upper management could use some replacement (in 15 reviews)

1. Sales Assistant

Former Employee - Sales Assistant in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Sales Assistant in New York, NY

Pros

Great employees, consistent hours, good culture. Good work/life balance

Cons

A, "who do you know" culture around promotions. Good workers are over worked.

Advice to Management

Management needs to take a serious look at their entire hiring and placement process.

2. Discovery Communications

Former Employee - Digital Producer/Manager of Business Development in Washington, DC

I worked at Discovery Communications (Less than a year)

Pros

As a relatively young company, Discovery gives its employees the ability to grow and become creative. The also several opportunities to move to from an entry level position to a higher ranking.

Cons

Once you have left the company (even in good terms) it's difficult to get back in.

Great Place to work

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bethesda, MD
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bethesda, MD

I worked at Discovery Communications full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Enjoyed the people and the environment. Lots of interesting projects happening

Cons

Very very political environment. While most of the people were top notch, there were a few snakes in the mix

5. Best Company I've ever worked for!

Pros

My manager is the best mentor I have had in my career. My team consists of hardworking, smart, subject matter experts, and I am constantly learning from them each and every day. I trust the management and direction of my department. Our culture truly focuses on employee wellness and engagement. The benefits package is the best I've received at any company I've worked for. The on-site wellness center is a huge plus!

Cons

I wish we didn't have to pay for parking.

6. Disco Cool Place

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Silver Spring, MD
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Silver Spring, MD

I have been working at Discovery Communications (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great bennies, good people, nice environment, it's great for the middle management or less mindset only because the folks at the top aren't going anywhere

Cons

Impossible to move up, no one ever leaves

7. Great Company, Great People, a couple of Lemons

Former Employee - Director in Silver Spring, MD
    Former Employee - Director in Silver Spring, MD

Pros

This global media conglomerate is pretty innovative and treats people very fairly on an institutional level. Many long term happy and productive people.

Cons

Considering the light fair of their content and it's impact on humanity, particularly compared to say curing cancer or putting man in space, is there any possible justification of the completely outrageous gap between this companies average salary and the massive salary of it's CEO? Also there is a cancer of rogue political manipulators, yes men, morons and evildoers at the middle management VP level, (an unnecessarily huge cast of thousands) that get annual passes to torture, layoff, reorganize and job eliminate the plebes in ruthless abandon and to no productive purpose but their own pointless selfish ambitions. The Agency is the home to a disproportionate nest of these villains.

Advice to Management

Cut the salary of every C level employee named David, and anyone British that looks, and acts like a cartoon while doing nothing. Then start making stuff core to your origin values instead of the tenants of programming followed most recently: fake, stupid or naked, pick 2 and you have a show.

8. Intern

Current Employee - Intern - Hourly in Silver Spring, MD
    Current Employee - Intern - Hourly in Silver Spring, MD

I have been working at Discovery Communications full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Amazing experience, welcoming departments, real life work, hands on,

Cons

minimum wage, expensive area to live in, long internship length if time

9. Culture

I have been working at Discovery Communications full-time

Pros

-Unique events with all employees at the silver spring location -Laid back -Yoga, jazz, ice cream on the front lawn, etc.

Cons

-Access to network with upper management could be better -Experience shadowing roles outside of your own is a little strict through the divisions

Advice to Management

-Higher attendance at networking events both internal and external -Keep on doing what you are doing to make 1DP the best

10. Challenging but rewarding and fun

Current Employee - Marketing Director in Silver Spring, MD
    Current Employee - Marketing Director in Silver Spring, MD

I have been working at Discovery Communications full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Excellent work environment. Supportive leadership. Happening workplace with many events and free offerings. Great benefits and prestigious brand. Talented employees and a "whatever you need" approach to technology.

Cons

Somewhat below average pay. Ambition runs high leading to intense workloads. Below average "summer hours" program.

11. Can pay well but ... (Education division)

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Discovery Communications full-time

Pros

Salary can be very good. I've been here for several years and the salary and benefits are one of the main reasons I have stuck around.

Cons

The Education division has issues with lack of direction and funding on the Business side. The business side has been slow to react to the ever changing climate of the technology, as a result they have blamed the IT group for lack of innovation and sales for lack of re-newals. They need to clean house from Top down. Many talented people have left IT as a result.

Advice to Management

Listen to ideas and concerns from your core employees. Then look at how upper management has under performed.

RSS Feed </> Embed