Discovery Communications Reviews

Reset
3.7
Discovery Communications President and CEO David M. Zaslav
David M. Zaslav

Pros
  • Good work/life balance programs (in 27 reviews)

• Large company with great benefits, including telework options (in 27 reviews)

Cons
  • No work-life balance if you are in a position that supports broadcast (in 19 reviews)

• Some upper management could use some replacement (in 15 reviews)

1. Discovery is a great place to work

Former Employee - Viewer Relations Coordinator in Florence, KY
    Former Employee - Viewer Relations Coordinator in Florence, KY

Pros

There is a great diversity of people that you work with and exposes you to different cultures and viewpoints. Discovery really takes care of the people they employ: great health care benefits and coverage, discounts to some of the best electronics companies, gift companies and exercise facilities. They always made their employees aware of things going on within the company, whether it had to do with the networks, education division, no matter which section. Even when my job and the facility I worked at were moved to an outside company in a different part of the country, I was aware that is was occuring almost a year beforehand! This is unheard of in today's workforce nowadays. They also provided a wonderful severance package and paid insurance that I have used so much with the birth of a son in the meantime.

Cons

There really is not too much that I can say about downsides of working for Discovery. The one thing that comes to mind is that there was not a lot of room for advancing in my office. This was mostly because it was a small office and the average length of employment there was about 12 years! Again, this is unheard of in most workplaces nowadays. In order for me to advance within the company, I would have had to move either to the corporate office or to one of the other offices across the country. Many of the offices were just as small as mine and were mostly sales offices though.

Advice to Management

Please continue to communicate the vision of Discovery and the direction that you are taking the company.

2. Despite many growing pains, Discovery is great place to work

Current Employee - Vice President in Silver Spring, MD
    Current Employee - Vice President in Silver Spring, MD

Pros

Discovery has great brands that most people love. The work is often challenging and rewarding. Despite Discovery's strength, there are many areas that it needs to development, particularly in the digital space. This presents tons of opportunity for those who work hard and are good at what they do. Most people are relatively easy to work with, and there is very little office politics or drama.

Cons

Because the culture is less cut throat than other places, people remain in positions even if their performance is mediocre or poor. While I like the more laid back environment, I do think there needs to be more accountability. Zaslav has introduced a culture of accountability at the senior executive level, but it has just beginning to make its way to the rest of the ranks.

Advice to Management

Continue the trend of getting more focused around company and department goals.

3. Discovery Communications is a place for a career, not just a job.

Current Employee - Operations Analyst in Silver Spring, MD
    Current Employee - Operations Analyst in Silver Spring, MD

Pros

There are a lot of great people that work for Discovery. The management team is really great. There is a level of transparency at all levels so that if you're interested in the way things work, you can find out. Discovery provides internal training opportunities, inside and outside your actual department and particular job. The Lifeworks department does a wonderful job in crafting programs to assist with work/life balance. Discovery is a place that I'm happy and proud to go to work for every day.

Cons

A series of re-orgs and restructuring over the past 2 years or so has made some of the organizational structure unstable or at least more fluid than I'm used to. It has made it challenging to work across teams at times, when team structures have changed a few times over the this time period. This isn't really a downside, it doesn't make life or work hard, it just makes it necessary to stay on top of everything that's going on, in and outside of your department.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work. We're here to support you, as you do a good job in supporting us. You've done a good job keeping an eye on the bottom line and on your employees. Keep sight of both of these things and we will find great success.

Discovery is a great place to work but it's not perfect.

Current Employee - Creative Director in Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Creative Director in Miami, FL

Pros

Great work environment, excellent employee morale, good high quality product compare to other media companies, great health care benefits, flexible work schedule. Like any other corporation, if you position yourself well, you can have great career opportunities.

Cons

Too many changes that don't make sense, sometimes they hired, and keep, inept upper management, used to be very secretive now is getting better but not ideal.

Advice to Management

Be more open to communicate the good and the bad. employees are not like kids, they are adults. When in economic crisis, might be better to lower 10% of all employees' salaries (beginning with upper management) that laying off people. Keep in eye on good TV, high quality programs and the ratings will come.

Discovery IS a great place to work

Current Employee - Executive Assistant in Silver Spring, MD
    Current Employee - Executive Assistant in Silver Spring, MD

Pros

The people. The energy in the company has increased significantly over the last two years and the performance of the company has too. This hasn't been at the cost of being a great place to work, the new childcare center that has been built onsite at the HQ is fantastic. There are great benefits and work life facilities such as the wellness center, getting your car washed at work and having the opportunity to meet people that are on our air.

Cons

I really don't think there are a lot of downsides. I think that because of the people and the drive sometimes it's a little easy to lose your work life balance. Some senior managers are not as supportive as they could be but there are lots of programs to use if you need to. The pace of change is high and sometimes that's hard to keep pace with. If you like very clear boundaries and stability then Discovery is not the place for you. If you like change and being able to do things that are sometimes outside your comfort zone then it is.

Advice to Management

Walk the floors more often. We believe in what you're doing but it would be nice to see you meeting more people in person occasionally.

7. Great Company

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Silver Spring, MD
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Silver Spring, MD

Pros

Amazing work/life balance, benefits, TVs at desks(!), fun environment. Loved the energy of the place and how everyone seemed passionate.

Cons

Not too many, lack of advancement or distinct career tracks for lower levels, no training program for executives (or none that are prominent)

Advice to Management

Hire and retain the best, and need to promote in order to keep top talent. Don't praise everyone for every little thing, sometimes important to let the cream rise to the top.

8. great place to work for

Former Employee - Production Intern in Silver Spring, MD
    Former Employee - Production Intern in Silver Spring, MD

Pros

cable televisions at all desk doctors office on premises relaxed atmosphere exciting place to be

Cons

interns are not paid, other places like ABC Disney pay their interns.

Advice to Management

keep the relaxed environment it makes it fun and employees will thrive

9. Working for an executive and executive assistant

Former Employee - Intern in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Intern in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

Great work environment, outstanding resources available at all times for extra learning, nice workers comp package for full-time hires, quality product

Cons

very corporate, not very familial

Advice to Management

I would hope for a less corporate feel, without sacrificing the efficiency

10. Great place with a lot of opportunities

Current Employee - Intern in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Intern in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

The management is great and everyone in the office is great! There is not a day where I do not feel welcomed.

Cons

Although everyone in my department is super friendly, I have not really met any of the other employess from different departments. Adds a corporate aspect.

Advice to Management

I think that there should be more involvement from everyone when people send out emails regarding mixers or social events in the office.

Discovery is a fun and creative company to work for.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Silver Spring, MD
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Silver Spring, MD

Pros

Discovery hires smart, creative people who are fun to be around. The work is hard and the hours are long but I enjoy the fast paced nature of the business. One thing that is amazing is that senior management will listen to ideas from anyone in the company. Creativity and good ideas are encouraged and supported at all levels.

Cons

A lot of people want to work at Discovery. The company counts on this fact and therefore feels like they may not need to pay as high as other companies in the industry or in the area.

RSS Feed </> Embed