Discovery Communications

Updated September 10, 2014
3.6

Discovery Communications President and CEO David M. Zaslav
David M. Zaslav

Pros
  • I was given so many great opportunities - from growing in my career to having a great work/life balance (in 25 reviews)

• Large company with great benefits, including telework options (in 25 reviews)

Cons
  • Zero work/life balance where any addition employee perk could not even been enjoyed (in 19 reviews)

• Upper management that does not listen to the feedback of its middle management (in 15 reviews)

More Highlights

An educational and rivitting experience where I learned much about the software development cycle.

Current Employee - Software Engineer  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Discovery Communications full-time for less than a year

Pros

Daily code reviews taught us how to write quality code
    Seniors programmers were very helpful
    A very collaborative work environment
    Great experience with immense complex systems.

Cons

A very competitive environment which lead to long hours with no pay increase
    Bad business policy in upper management when merging with other companies.

Do not buy out companies with a bad track record.

Discovery Communications is full of smart and talented people that are great at their jobs.

Current Employee - Account Manager  in  Silver Spring, MD
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Silver Spring, MD

I have been working at Discovery Communications full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great programs offered for professional development. Very exciting company to work for.

Cons

Starting salary was low and work/life balance could be improved.

I worked here for over 8 years and loved it

Former Employee - Writer/Producer  in  Silver Spring, MD
    Former Employee - Writer/Producer in Silver Spring, MD

I worked at Discovery Communications full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

I was given so many great opportunities - from growing in my career to having a great work/life balance. This company leads the pack. Now after working at other networks, it's amazing how technologically advanced this company is.

Cons

Every few years it seems like they layoff a great bunch of talented people

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great culture, poor management

Former Employee - Client Coordinator  in  Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Client Coordinator in Miami, FL

I worked at Discovery Communications full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great culture, excellent job experience and benefits

Cons

Poor management, excessive hours with no breaks

Compensation and fair treatment.

Great company, really care about employees

Current Employee - Sales Assistant
    Current Employee - Sales Assistant

I have been working at Discovery Communications full-time for more than a year

Pros

Discovery really cares about its employees - they expect intelligence, diligence, and hard work, but are sure to compensate you justly. Great benefits. Wonderful reputation - if you work for Discovery, you've got a phenomenal resume boost.

Cons

You are expected to work stressful hours - 12 hour days are not out of the norm. Very buttoned-up environment. Some of the systems are out of date and inefficient.

Great Benefits, Wonderful People, Incessant Change

I worked at Discovery Communications

Pros

Progressive work environment with excellent benefits including on-site doctor and daycare. Smart, creative culture and supportive teams. Mobility within organization across networks and divisions. Great work-life balance.

Cons

Constant churn within networks, particularly the big ones - Discovery and TLC. Changes in leadership of networks results in nearly full turnover of staff and such changes tend to happen annually. However, there seems to be a revolving door as some people have been fired and re-hired by the company 5+ times. HR also tends to serve as the henchmen for management vs as advocates for the staff or serving to enable growth and development. I was often told to never talk with HR. Senior leaders always secured contracts at point of hire as it was assumed they would not make it through the term of contract. Hard to get in the door.

Some of the best and the worst all in one place

Former Employee - Coordinating Producer  in  Silver Spring, MD
    Former Employee - Coordinating Producer in Silver Spring, MD

I worked at Discovery Communications full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The benefits were great, the pay was great, there were always fun activities and things happening, the on-site health clinic was awesome. There were some very smart and talented people in the building. One of the best parts was being able to tell people you worked for Discovery, it's such a well loved brand.

Cons

It often felt like a prison. If you were not working at night, over the weekends, on your vacation days, and even while home sick, you might be considered slacking. At the same time, you are surrounded by people who are not doing their job or doing much of anything. Lots of "lifers" settle into the comfort of the corporate environment and somehow get promoted into director or VP spots without actually knowing much or having much talent.

Stop re-organizing the company every 6 months. I was there for 3.5 years and worked under 5 different managers due to corporate restructuring and layoffs. Give people and ideas time to grow and develop instead of cutting off potential at the first sign of weakness. Stop cultivating an environment of fear where people get rewarded for doing nothing more than being able to survive the insanity long enough.

Great environment, lots of restructuring

I have been working at Discovery Communications full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Ability to work autonomously. Great environment, good people. Work is challenging. They promote a lot from within. Benefits (including a nice yearly bonus) are fantastic, such as maternity/parental leave, on site gym or fitness reimbursement (for offices without a gym), company-wide volunteer day.

Cons

A lot of restructuring occurring, generally with annual layoffs. Same amount of work but less people to do it. They are moving more towards contract positions which means you continually have to train and work with new people who don't know the process and don't meet the same standards as full time employees.

Come up with a long term plan and stick to it.

Great Exprrience

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at Discovery Communications

Pros

Great people and excellent benefits package.

Cons

None! It was a great company with great people!

a great learning experience

I have been working at Discovery Communications

Pros

the staff is so friendly and welcoming. i'm happy to work for the company.

Cons

not many full-time positions, just lots of contingent workers

Worked for Discovery Communications? Contribute to the Community!