Discovery Communications

Updated December 10, 2014
3.7

Discovery Communications President and CEO David M. Zaslav
David M. Zaslav

Pros
  • Work life balance depends on your manager (mine at the moment rocks (in 27 reviews)

• Large company with great benefits, including telework options (in 27 reviews)

Cons
  • Zero work/life balance where any addition employee perk could not even been enjoyed (in 19 reviews)

• Upper management that does not listen to the feedback of its middle management (in 15 reviews)

More Highlights

Great company to work for with wonderful work-life balance, however, not a lot of room for growth.

I have been working at Discovery Communications full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Work-life balance is great with awesome benefits. They have a great maternity program and offer quite a few extra programs (like exercise classes or seminars) at no cost to the employee.

Cons

Not a lot of room for career growth. Job description does not reflect the position and we do not get credit for the work we are doing by senior management.

Review growth options for all employees

Fantastic Company

I worked at Discovery Communications full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Strong Leadership. Great focus and a leader in the international cable market. Forward thinking. Great people and a fun environment to work.

Cons

Limited growth opportunities in the regional markets. Not a lot of opportunity to advance once at a certain level. A lot of change in the IT/Digital area.

Keep the focus on growth and innovation and make sure to involve employees at all levels.

Great place to work

Former Employee - Ad Sales in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Ad Sales in New York, NY

I worked at Discovery Communications as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Top rated programming, great brands, supportive work environemnt, challenging. Discover is a great place to launch your media career. Great corporate culture, management puts great emphasis on work, life balance.

Cons

The career path for someone in Ad Sales is very clear but seems very hard to actually move up in rank to become an Account Executive. Some of the work performed by Sales Assistants seems a bit mind numbing.

Solid media company where people are driven.

Former Employee - Manager in Silver Spring, MD
    Former Employee - Manager in Silver Spring, MD

I worked at Discovery Communications full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The people are smart and the company invests in keeping its employees happy and healthy so that their effectiveness is maximized.

Cons

Hard to get promoted, and the bottom line is always looming. Layoffs happen quickly and quietly, which creates a great deal of anxiety around personal performance.

Great company

Former Employee - Video Editor in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Video Editor in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Discovery Communications as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Well, the benefits were reasonable.

Cons

Well, the hours could be high.

none

This is a review of Discovery Education

I worked at Discovery Communications full-time

Pros

Being part of a larger media company is great and helps provide access to great people to support the business. Built close relationships with key leaders in US public schools Could be an amazing company if there was a good executive management team in place. Enjoyed working with a great team of people.

Cons

No hope of anyone getting promoted who is not a friend from Pennsylvania with the Sales Head (if you are sky's the limit!). Discovery Education makes a lot of poor products, unfortunately not any really great innovative products. Morale is extremely bad. Senior management spends all its time trying to sell the employees on how great Discovery Education is instead of trying to actually be great.

Promotions should be based on accomplishments and not being childhood friends with Senior Management. Management should focus on developing great products and really innovative instead of pretending to innovate. Fresh Senior Management needs to be brought in.

Work hard and toe the party line.

Former Employee - Executive Assistant in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Executive Assistant in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Discovery Communications full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Mostly smart, capable associates work here. The company is steadily growing and is one of the largest, most successful media corporations in the world.

Cons

People often work longer than a 40-hour week for no extra pay or bonus. There is little encouragement for personal growth. The content they produce is targeted towards a specific demographic and, because the formula has proven fiscally sound, there is little reason to rock the boat and try new things. Taking chances is rarely encouraged.

Salesforce.com - Business Systems Developer at Discovery Education

Former Employee - Salesforce.com Developer in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Salesforce.com Developer in Chicago, IL

I worked at Discovery Communications as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

The office space in downtown Chicago is really nice. The basement of the building has great places to eat lunch. I also met some really cool people--a few from inside my department--but mostly outside the department such as interns and those in the content department. I learned a lot in this position, and had the opportunity to review code and functionality of Salesforce.com that was put in place by past developers. I learned about agile software development as well. I worked in a structured environment with different sandboxes, which taught be a lot about the software development process such as User Acceptance testing. The pay for this position was great.

I had the opportunity to work side by side with out of house consultants who were experienced from having worked with so many clients.

Cons

- As a contractor I didn't get any of the perks a full-time employee would get such as a gym membership.
    - Many negatives of multiple consulting firms in house working on the same project
    - The Business Systems Development department has a culture of red tape and it was difficult to get any code you wrote to the production environment
    - The position was extremely unstructured. There were assigned stories but they were often very vague due to a lack of technical knowledge of the person writing up requirements.
    - There was a disconnect between the business users and development team. As a developer I had no access to them to see what could be improved, fixed, or to find new work to work on.
    - I often found myself cruising LinkedIn or reading professional articles due to a lack of structure or work.
    - Code revision control was not in place, which lead many people stepping on each others feet.
    - Unrealistic expectations about what could be done with their outdated customer system that they wouldn't get rid of and their sales system. They wanted to implement an SSRS reporting engine inside of Salesforce.com, instead of migrating that data to Salesforce.com
    - Standoffish culture, I was called into my boss' office and he beat around the bush with statements about "keeping the team small" etc. I finally had to ask him if he was letting me go.

Bring more of your business development systems in house. Give your employees the benefit of the doubt, and provide a way for them to grow with the company to accomplish meaningful work. Cut red tape.

Undervalued and out of the loop.

Current Employee - Analyst in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Analyst in New York, NY

I have been working at Discovery Communications full-time (more than an year)

Pros

- Great perks
    - Good people
    - Relaxed environment in the research department (unlike ad sales)
    - Easy to take pride in the brand

Cons

- Feel like just a cog, very replaceable and undervalued
    - Low pay
    - Boring; management unresponsive when asked for more responsibility
    - I feel like my brain is rotting
    - Generally unorganized and no communication between teams and groups

Value your new employees! They could be the ones to stay with the company and shape it in the future, but the turnover rate is so high...

Discovery Communications, Inc.

Current Employee - Executive Assistant in Silver Spring, MD
    Current Employee - Executive Assistant in Silver Spring, MD

I have been working at Discovery Communications full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good company and better-than-average benefits (though definitely, no Google or Facebook!)

Cons

Hard to get your foot in the door

Bonus paid out to employees at one network shouldn't be contingent on the success of a sister network

Discovery Communications Photos