Discovery Cove

Discovery Cove Reviews

Updated Apr 12, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Great for any career type

Lifeguard (Current Employee) Orlando, FL

ProsFlexible Schedule
    Managers
    Team Members
    Customer Service Growth

ConsLimited Hours
    Difficult Guests
    Low chance of moving up

Advice to Senior ManagementHours less limited.

Fun relaxed environment with a small enough employee base to create long lasting relationships

Operations (Current Employee) Orlando, FL

ProsGreat beautiful park, relaxed atmosphere, great to employees with many incentives, entrance to Sea World Parks and many events around the cities, giveaways, etc. The clientele tend to be high class which means less troublesome issues with guests, many of them are revisits from other years. Diversity in employee base and in guest base means a great exposure to different cultures. Company offers language classes to ensure proper communication with guests.

Conssmall tight knit community means small chance of promotions. very little turn around, many employees have been there since park opened, few full time opportunities available. It is rare for there to be full time positions opening up. Many people tend to go to other parks to gain experience or get their full time and then come back to discovery cove when a leadership position opens. The clientele, though higher end typically, have odd requests and can be a bit demanding due to the treatment they've come to expect.

Advice to Senior Managementstrive to build a closer relationship with employees

Worst management ever....

Lifeguard (Former Employee) Orlando, FL

ProsGet to work on a beach all day

ConsHorrible management... overworked underpaid... no respect... entire department is 18-21 years old

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Challenging, sometimes boring, but good people.

Guest Host (Former Employee) Orlando, FL

ProsFor my time there, the employees were really nice. Managment was usually ok. The location was great if you like walking through sand and the hot FL sun.

ConsThe work could be boring or repeatitive; give tours to entitled tourists and their rich brats who don't want to listen, rotate to either lockers (give said tourists a locker), rotate to life vests and fit people who refuse to believe they need a Large size lifevest, until they realize they need a Large size life vest, on and on and on.

On good days capacity is low (They tell people its a max 1000 in the park when really on busy days it can be 2000).

Exotic job, without the exotic pay.

Videographer (Former Employee) Orlando, FL

ProsYou get to say you work with dolphins.
    Your title sounds better than it is.
    People will constantly say "Oh my! I'm so jealous!"
    The only beach in the middle of the state.
    Free SeaWorld/Universal tickets
    Discounts on a lot of third-party services/products.

ConsIf it's slow, you're getting sent home.
    Videographer is the fancy way of being called a human tripod.
    It's a sales position, not a professional position as stated in the job description.
    No commission.
    It's who you know.
    Very Repetitive.
    There is very little room for advancement in the company (even though, you're promised there is.)
    Management hardly knows the first thing about videography/photography.
    Not as fun as it used to be when owned by Busch (no more free beer.)
    No one has been given full-time status in over two years.
    Takes 5+ years to reach $15/hr.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhen discussing with those you manage and they ask about raises, don't reply "Hey! You get to work with dolphins!" Dolphins don't pay our bills. And if you're going to manage the Photo/Video department, you should at least know how to shoot photos and videos. Also, it's never okay to call before you get to work and tell someone to clock you in.

Worked for Discovery Cove? Contribute to the Community!