Discovia

Updated January 29, 2015
3.2

Discovia CEO Christian Lawrence
Christian Lawrence

Great experience in a high-growth industry

I have been working at Discovia full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The people are extremely collegial, dedicated and committed to providing a high quality experience for our clients. I formed a ton of what I hope will be lasting friendships with my co-workers.

The company culture and values promoted by the senior leadership are genuinely aimed towards creating a positive experience for the staff and our clients. There is lots of visibility into the current state of the company and the direction they are headed.

There is a huge emphasis on training and personal career development. Lot's of potential for client interaction.

Despite moving through a period of extremely high growth where org structures changed frequently, they have settled in to a fairly stable period. The leadership are generally highly competent, committed, and receptive to input from across the business.

During the high-growth period, however, there were many people brought in who did not ultimately have a great fit in that type of company. The good news is most of them have transitioned out and have been replaced with people who are much better suited to the hours and demands of a litigation support vendor.

There are lots of opportunities to contribute. If you come in with a special skill set you can carve out a niche pretty easily.

The benefits started out pretty sparse when I arrived but have kept improving rapidly as the super nice HR folks have moved from a triage style recruiting/retention mode to a more stable environment.

Cons

It is the nature of the industry that the hours are pretty long.

The money is probably not the best you can find, but it is more than made up with top-notch colleagues and great firm culture.

Create more opportunities for career growth and incentives to retain top talent for decade. Expand senior leadership to include more formal input from the next tier of superstar contributors.

Recognize that there are a few people from the early years who are not well suited to their current roles. Find better ways of honoring their past heroics and loyalty, while making room for new talent to step in and take the business to the next level.

Employees are great but management's disorganization sabotages the team's efforts.

I worked at Discovia full-time (more than a year)

Pros

They recognize one or two key players in each group (sales, operations, project management) and will bend over backwards to keep them happy. Open door policy and access to management team is really nice. They give the impression they will help you find a role that meets your professional goals. Appreciation is given in front of the greater team, which is nice but can be awkward. Great potential to grow with a fantastic group of co-workers.

Cons

Senior management uses layoffs as their go-to for cash-flow management. In the time I worked there, I witnessed 4 layoffs with little or no warning. If they had been better prepared, they wouldn't have all the salaries resting on one or two clients especially when they knew the clients were unhappy. It creates an atmosphere of insecurity and gossip. When layoffs come they cut 15 people with salaries of $65k rather than looking at management who are making 3 times that. The culture is very top heavy so it's not clear why they need so many people that all appear to be doing the same thing. They love meetings! Benefits are horrible and compensation isn't even remotely fair. Everyone is personable, but watch what you say around any of the top execs: they will stab you in the back in a heartbeat. You're expected to work long hours and it's not uncommon for the best people to lose any semblance of a break over Christmas.

Figure out a way to create duplicity in your lower ranks so they can take actual vacation time. Find a better way of running your books so you aren't constantly hiring and firing to make payroll. Do some serious long-term strategy work and stick to it even when things are crazy. Don't punish those that are unhappy, work with them to help.

Just Another Vendor

Current Employee - Project Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Project Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Discovia full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Non-management employees are great to work with.

Innovative ideas and trying to rise above the status quo.

Management tries to get by with no qualified HR professional on staff.

The paycheck is never late.

Cons

Irony: one year later, most of the sales people who were asked to write 5 star reviews on this site have since been fired.

You have to be a political animal to succeed in this company.

No loyalty to employees, only the bottom line. Over 10 years of service means nothing. You can still be let go.

The day after Thanksgiving is not a company holiday.

This company is still a sweatshop for project managers.

Look up the definition of "groupthink" so you can stop doing it.

The cost model needs to be reevaluated. Not every client wants or needs the Ritz Carlton experience.

Fast moving company with outstanding senior leadership.

Current Employee - Discovery Consultant in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Discovery Consultant in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Discovia full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Dedicated executive team, 100% focus on growth and hiring and training an A team of players. World class project management team ensures great client experiences to ensure repeat clients.

Cons

Quick turn over for those not comfortable in a highly process driven environment. Working with legal professionals can often be a challenging experience, tough skin required!

Continue to invest in people and innovation. Work harder to retain people who might be lured away.

Solid foundation and doing the right things to build an even better company for our employees and clients.

I have been working at Discovia full-time

Pros

Senior Management has a solid vision for what the company is today and where they want it to grow
    Tremendous amount of training and communication at every level
    Senior Management is responsive and open as the company is going through an advanced growth stage
    There seems to be a process in place for just about everything (Checklist Manifesto is essential reading)
    Sales Management is extremely supportive & strategic in building the sales team structure and growing the business
    Large number of intelligent industry experienced experts in each department
    "Reach Out Discovia" is a great employee-driven community activity group that coordinates the company's involvement in a number of non-profit and charity organizations and events
    HR/ACCTG are very responsive to clarify any issues, questions and concerns and escalate promptly, if necessary
    Monthly "Town Hall" meetings are a great opportunity for different departments/individuals to present various hot/current topics to all employees. It's also an open communication for Senior Management to communicate the "State of the Company" and for employees to ask any questions; part of the meeting is dedicated to recognition shout outs from anyone
    It's exciting! There is always something new happening, which is typical of a company that is growing

Cons

Only con...decisions relating to changing existing processes take multiple levels of management to enact change, but that is part of being a growing company

Winston Churchill once said, "The best thing to do is make the right decision, the next best is to make the wrong decision, but the worst thing to do is not make a decision". You're making a lot of 'right' decisions; trust your instincts and keep advancing!

Discovia is Taking Off and Now is The Time to Join the Team

Current Employee - Account Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Discovia full-time (less than a year)

Pros

I joined Discovia in the last year and I could not be happier about my decision. The Company is growing rapidly and is a great place to learn. I came on board becasue I liked the leadership, training and overall culture that they offered. Every employee receives a minimum of 1-3 hours of training each week. Christian Lawrence and Ciaran Power, who bought the Company in 2004, are making all the right moves. Their decision to change the company name from SFL Data to Discovia was the right choice, as the new name better reflects the company's global clientele. They also made the right move in hiring industry veteran Greg Mazares, the former Encore CEO, to lead and grow the sales team. Up to this point I am very pleased with the support and training I receive. Most important, the company is totally committed to quality for every client on every project. They measure everything here, and when mistakes are made, they are corrected immediately. I also wanted to comment on the company's commitment to giving back to the community. The Reach Out Discovia Program motivates staff and management to spend time and money doing things to help people who are less fortunate. I feel happy working here and I urge those looking for a role in the ediscovery industry in sales, project management or technology to contact Discovia.

Cons

As a sales professional, I wish the company had more offices and personnel in other locations. This expansion is underway and the opportunities here are numerous and exciting.

Management is doing the right things and I hope they continue to hire great people to build the company.They should remain aggressive in growing the business. Discovia is very profitable and is sound financially. It appears that management knows how to build the business stratgeically and in a profitable manner. They also need to continue to stay close to and communicate frequently with all employees as the company expands. Don't forget the things that got them to this point.

Great place to work if you are motivated and want to move up the ranks.

I have been working at Discovia

Pros

Provides consistent opportunities to learn
    If you show initiative they will provide significant senior advice and guidance
    The team pushes you to do the best you can
    Very client centric culture
    Management team is really good about listening to the concerns of the employees and maintaining transparency across the business
    Everyone cares about their jobs
    Low turnover
    Hyper-growth company (if you stay long enough its hard to not move up the ranks as the company grows)
    Likes promoting from within

Cons

Hard work life balance mainly due to the industry (lawyers are demanding and work weird hours) but partially just the culture pushes you to be the best you can be and in return people work long hours
    Not complete transparency on when employees depart (but most of the time its fairly obvious why)
    Oversight, management, and guidance - I know I put this as a Pro as well but if you don't really push yourself to be better and take on new tasks you wont get significant attention. The company is very entrepreneurial and you can make up a position if you want but this is no place where they will give you a step by step guide to success. You'll have to forge your own path.

Nothing - keeping pushing to be better as you do us.

Great people, high energy, best in class, persevering in a tough industry

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Discovia full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Entrepreneurial spirit, coupled with outstanding, smart, caring and committed people, compelling leadership, within a rapidly changing and growing industry

Cons

The lit support / eDiscovery industry is tough -- demanding clients,rush deadlines, long hours, and ever increasing competition and price compression in the market. Frankly the "cons" are much more industry based than company based

Keep charging and keep leading; be fearless. Continue to hone in and build upon the Discovia brand in the market (niche, super boutique, expert level services)

Poor decision making in management

I worked at Discovia full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Company has a potential in a growing business and provides a decent training in e-Discovery. If you're unemployed and desperate for a job, this could be a way to break into the industry.

Cons

No annual reviews, no raises and no bonuses. Poor benefits. Low salaries and long hours. Lack of communication from management. Ineffective operations department structure. Absolutely no recognition. No sense of leadership. High turnover. Extremely hostile environment.

Make changes to prevent operations run like a smoothie joint. This is a business organization, start acting like one. Recognize employees for their hard work, simple "Thank you" would be a good start. Allow employees to anonymously review management.

Tremendous development, both personally and professionally.

Former Employee - Project Management Team in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Project Management Team in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Discovia full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Opportunity - numerous opportunities to make a lasting impact on a rapidly growing, industry leading company.
    People - the people really care about doing a great job; extremely smart and fun to be around
    Growth - I learned a ton about building a great business, handling difficult situations, and received continued coaching and development from the management team every step of the way
    Overall - I feel very fortunate to have been a part of the team

Cons

The industry is a tough with demanding clients, which can lead to burn out. Need to be careful and take care of yourself.

Continue the path