Discovia Reviews

25 reviews filtered by
3.6
Discovia CEO Christian Lawrence
Christian Lawrence

1. A great place to work with some of the most professional people in the industry.

Former Employee - Project Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Project Manager in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Discovia full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Discovia offers the opportunity to work with some of the most courteous and considerate professionals in the industry. There was never once an instance of uncourteous behavior from anyone I worked with at this company.

Cons

The company seems to be rather vulnerable to whim of the client environment which changes day by day. Several otherwise solid employees saw their jobs put at risk for no fault of their own, but merely because of the need to make operational cost cuts.

Good place to get experience and essential skills to leverage for your next position.

I worked at Discovia full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I’d like to add some balance to the overly positive and negative reviews on this site. First and foremost, this is an eDiscovery vendor – the hours will be long and you will have to deal with quickly changing situations and a very steep learning curve. That said, Discovia does a good job of training people and trying to distinguish themselves from the rest of their competition. They are also very process oriented and put a lot of thought into making systems more efficient. If you can find a mentor here you will benefit greatly and it can be a transformative experience. The people here are very bright, friendly, and willing to help you learn. The skills you learn here will set up the next step in your career very well. Overall, I had a positive experience though I was frustrated towards the end.

Cons

The hours are long and you will have to give up nights, weekends, and holidays more frequently than you expect. The compensation is significantly below market along with the benefits. There is minimal HR presence and the managers of each department will have their own fiefdoms within the company – which leads to significant disparities. The job descriptions/titles are a joke. As a result, getting promoted takes politicking to an extreme level and management will do everything they can to squeeze the last drop out of you before finally giving you what you deserved months ago. There are no annual reviews and it is difficult to know where you stand – unless you are underperforming and you’re about to get fired. This leads to a great deal of frustration for those who want to climb the ladder and gives an out to management to delay said climb. Middle management means well, but they lack the experience to make the rank and file’s lives better and more productive. Taken together, this results in high turnover due to internal problems but also due to fluctuations in their cash flow (during my tenure here, there were 3 significant layoffs but this was consistent with the industry's turbulence generally).

Advice to Management

Please institute a formal review system so that employees know a) where they stand b) what they need to do to move up and c) what to improve upon. Focus on improving people’s salaries and quality of life so you can retain talent rather than being an incubator of talent (except for the very few who stay due to their progression). Hold management accountable and implement a more pro-active management system as opposed to the reactive one currently in place. The “groupthink” that goes on at this company is counterproductive and will ultimately result in the competition moving ahead of you. The opportunities in the eDiscovery space are increasing and you will have to do more to retain your high performers – if that is truly what you want to do.

3. I have worked for Discovia for over three years for good reason.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Discovia full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Salary is competitive, there is an emphasis on communication, transparency, recognition of individual achievement, appreciation of new ideas and innovation, the workplace is fun, telecommuting is an option, processes are well-defined and documented, and there are some really great, smart people here.

Cons

The hours can be a bit demanding at times and clients can be difficult to deal with, but that is mostly the nature of the industry we are in. There is a decent amount of turnover which may have something to do with the steep, long, learning curve and demands on people's time. Not everyone is cut out for a job here, but those that excel are valued and recognized for their achievements.

Advice to Management

Allow opportunities for reports to provide feedback on their managers with anonymity and without fear of retaliation, make sure employee reviews are conducted on time and that professional growth and compensation increases are treated with importance, and don't glorify employees who have an unhealthy work-life balance. Efficiency/quality should be honored over quantity of hours worked. A happy employee is a productive employee.

5. A tremendous team - the best 100 plus folks I have ever worked alongside - working hard to create something great

Current Employee - Administrative in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Administrative in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Discovia full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The employees truly care - about clients, and about eachother. Culture is the top priority. Its a great environment.

Cons

Long hours - its hard work - clients are very demanding.

Advice to Management

Make faster decisions.

6. Over my 6+ year tenure I experienced tremendous professional and monetary growth.

Former Employee - Vice President in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Vice President in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Discovia full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Run by two very solid individuals who truly care about their employees well-being.

Cons

Marketing budget is limited and resources are very constrained at times.

Advice to Management

Not applicable

Employees are great but management's disorganization sabotages the team's efforts.

I worked at Discovia full-time (more than a year)

Pros

They recognize one or two key players in each group (sales, operations, project management) and will bend over backwards to keep them happy. Open door policy and access to management team is really nice. They give the impression they will help you find a role that meets your professional goals. Appreciation is given in front of the greater team, which is nice but can be awkward. Great potential to grow with a fantastic group of co-workers.

Cons

Senior management uses layoffs as their go-to for cash-flow management. In the time I worked there, I witnessed 4 layoffs with little or no warning. If they had been better prepared, they wouldn't have all the salaries resting on one or two clients especially when they knew the clients were unhappy. It creates an atmosphere of insecurity and gossip. When layoffs come they cut 15 people with salaries of $65k rather than looking at management who are making 3 times that. The culture is very top heavy so it's not clear why they need so many people that all appear to be doing the same thing. They love meetings! Benefits are horrible and compensation isn't even remotely fair. Everyone is personable, but watch what you say around any of the top execs: they will stab you in the back in a heartbeat. You're expected to work long hours and it's not uncommon for the best people to lose any semblance of a break over Christmas.

Advice to Management

Figure out a way to create duplicity in your lower ranks so they can take actual vacation time. Find a better way of running your books so you aren't constantly hiring and firing to make payroll. Do some serious long-term strategy work and stick to it even when things are crazy. Don't punish those that are unhappy, work with them to help.

8. Just Another Vendor

Current Employee - Project Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Project Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Discovia full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Non-management employees are great to work with.

Innovative ideas and trying to rise above the status quo.

Management tries to get by with no qualified HR professional on staff.

The paycheck is never late.

Cons

Irony: one year later, most of the sales people who were asked to write 5 star reviews on this site have since been fired.

You have to be a political animal to succeed in this company.

No loyalty to employees, only the bottom line. Over 10 years of service means nothing. You can still be let go.

The day after Thanksgiving is not a company holiday.

This company is still a sweatshop for project managers.

Advice to Management

Look up the definition of "groupthink" so you can stop doing it.

The cost model needs to be reevaluated. Not every client wants or needs the Ritz Carlton experience.

9. Great experience in a high-growth industry

I have been working at Discovia full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The people are extremely collegial, dedicated and committed to providing a high quality experience for our clients. I formed a ton of what I hope will be lasting friendships with my co-workers.

The company culture and values promoted by the senior leadership are genuinely aimed towards creating a positive experience for the staff and our clients. There is lots of visibility into the current state of the company and the direction they are headed.

There is a huge emphasis on training and personal career development. Lot's of potential for client interaction.

Despite moving through a period of extremely high growth where org structures changed frequently, they have settled in to a fairly stable period. The leadership are generally highly competent, committed, and receptive to input from across the business.

During the high-growth period, however, there were many people brought in who did not ultimately have a great fit in that type of company. The good news is most of them have transitioned out and have been replaced with people who are much better suited to the hours and demands of a litigation support vendor.

There are lots of opportunities to contribute. If you come in with a special skill set you can carve out a niche pretty easily.

The benefits started out pretty sparse when I arrived but have kept improving rapidly as the super nice HR folks have moved from a triage style recruiting/retention mode to a more stable environment.

Cons

It is the nature of the industry that the hours are pretty long.

The money is probably not the best you can find, but it is more than made up with top-notch colleagues and great firm culture.

Advice to Management

Create more opportunities for career growth and incentives to retain top talent for decade. Expand senior leadership to include more formal input from the next tier of superstar contributors.

Recognize that there are a few people from the early years who are not well suited to their current roles. Find better ways of honoring their past heroics and loyalty, while making room for new talent to step in and take the business to the next level.

10. Fast moving company with outstanding senior leadership.

Current Employee - Discovery Consultant in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Discovery Consultant in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Discovia full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Dedicated executive team, 100% focus on growth and hiring and training an A team of players. World class project management team ensures great client experiences to ensure repeat clients.

Cons

Quick turn over for those not comfortable in a highly process driven environment. Working with legal professionals can often be a challenging experience, tough skin required!

Advice to Management

Continue to invest in people and innovation. Work harder to retain people who might be lured away.

11. Discovia is Taking Off and Now is The Time to Join the Team

Current Employee - Account Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Discovia full-time (less than a year)

Pros

I joined Discovia in the last year and I could not be happier about my decision. The Company is growing rapidly and is a great place to learn. I came on board becasue I liked the leadership, training and overall culture that they offered. Every employee receives a minimum of 1-3 hours of training each week. Christian Lawrence and Ciaran Power, who bought the Company in 2004, are making all the right moves. Their decision to change the company name from SFL Data to Discovia was the right choice, as the new name better reflects the company's global clientele. They also made the right move in hiring industry veteran Greg Mazares, the former Encore CEO, to lead and grow the sales team. Up to this point I am very pleased with the support and training I receive. Most important, the company is totally committed to quality for every client on every project. They measure everything here, and when mistakes are made, they are corrected immediately. I also wanted to comment on the company's commitment to giving back to the community. The Reach Out Discovia Program motivates staff and management to spend time and money doing things to help people who are less fortunate. I feel happy working here and I urge those looking for a role in the ediscovery industry in sales, project management or technology to contact Discovia.

Cons

As a sales professional, I wish the company had more offices and personnel in other locations. This expansion is underway and the opportunities here are numerous and exciting.

Advice to Management

Management is doing the right things and I hope they continue to hire great people to build the company.They should remain aggressive in growing the business. Discovia is very profitable and is sound financially. It appears that management knows how to build the business stratgeically and in a profitable manner. They also need to continue to stay close to and communicate frequently with all employees as the company expands. Don't forget the things that got them to this point.

Discovia Photos