Dishcrawl

Updated December 7, 2014
2.2

Tracy Lee

Learned a lot!

I worked at Dishcrawl part-time (less than an year)

Pros

You learn a lot about marketing and how you can push yourself to succeed.

Cons

This job isn't for someone who doesn't want to put in a lot of time in effort for a little return.

Give better budgets to communities that has never had Dishcawl before. It's a pain trying to convince restaurants owners that the budget is fair when they have no seen a return in their city yet.

5 for me...none for you.

I worked at Dishcrawl

Pros

You get to learn pretty quickly how to do everything from sales, marketing, social media planning, face-to-face communication etc.

Cons

You get no help doing everything from sales, marketing, social media planning, face-to-face communication etc.

Find a new CEO. Company had potential, but no leadership.

Romper Room

Former Employee - Community Manager in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Community Manager in San Jose, CA

I worked at Dishcrawl as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Free Food.
    Great food at restaurants.
    Free nail polish.
    Fun people when the CEO is not there.
    CEO has no concept of what being social is. We all think she grew up in a vacuum. All plastic and no substance at all.

Cons

Immature CEO, ridiculous office, constant socializing so don't expect to make any money or accomplish anything here.

Hire a real leader that doesn't want to paint her toes and eat all day.

Bugs? What bugs? Our code doesn't have bugs. DON'T TOUCH THAT BUTTON!

Current Employee - Founder & Chief Technology Officer in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Founder & Chief Technology Officer in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Dishcrawl full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The problem with large companies as an engineer is that you rarely get a say in what areas of technology you want to explore or learn about. If the company has standardized on Java then you are pretty much hosed. The plus side about working at a smaller company is you get to explore and grow without a large amount of the bureaucracy you'd find at a much larger company.

Dishcrawl tends to adopt a solution first strategy. Python is mostly used but it doesn't mean we frown on PHP. Whatever gets the job done. As with a lot of startups there is a good deal of autonomy with a focus on the end result.

Cons

It is a lot of work. There is an infinite amount of things you can make and picking what direction to go is tough. Like with all code there are bugs and critical ones have to be fixed quickly (even if it is 9pm on a Sunday night).

Great concept, very very poor execution

I worked at Dishcrawl full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The concept is beyond great, the training is well thought-out, for a start-up, but could use improvement. Overall, the experience garners experience in many areas of business.

Cons

Too many to mention!!! For prospects the most important thing to now is that you are expendable, all your hard work will most likely be for nothing because you will get chewed up and spit out and also that your compensation is minimal, therefore unsustainable.

Focus in specific target markets to strategize growth.
    Re-think certain aspects of the business model, operations, and management.
    Put your employees first, open and honest communication goes both ways.

Giant waste if time! Just take the idea and do it yourself!

Former Employee - Ambassador

I worked at Dishcrawl part-time (less than an year)

Pros

They teach you some marketing skills that will provide you some knowledge to take the concept and do it on your own! You'll make more money that way and you won't be someone's slave.

Cons

Don't let them fool you. All these 5 star reviews before mine are just a ploy for the company to make themselves look better. The current employees in the home office where probably required to "spin a positive light" to cover up the reality of the sinking ship that is Dishcrawl. They make you work like a dog and do not care one bit about the people outside the Fempire ran office. Now they require everyone to work on commission, what you should do is take the idea and do it yourself. You'll make more money that way and will get the same amount if support which is non from the office staff. They brainwash their employees into thinking they are doing amazing things and require you to really screw restaurants and partners in your community all in the name of making money for Dishcrawl. They don't care who they step on using Non-Profits names to promote events while screwing them out of money.

Be honest to your employees. Pay better for the amount of work you exspect from your employees. And follow up with the promises you make!

You are dispensable to them.

I worked at Dishcrawl full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Working with food and having an "in" with great restaurants in your city. You will meet many influential individuals in your community, but keep them close! You'll need their help once your time with Dishcrawl is over.

Cons

Dishcrawl's headquarters basks in many advantages the remote employees don't have access to, the main advantage being a team to lean on and work with. As an ambassador of your city you: do it all. Promote your events (while you're planning them), schedule meetings with restaurants, media etc, print all of your own materials, host events, process payments, troubleshoot, placate unhappy customers and restaurant partners (it happens occasionally) all of this with little support from the San Jose team. It's a ton of work, and it can be fun, but it's mostly stressful. Don't expect to have a colleague-type relationship with them, they are far too busy to ask how you are or bother to get to know you beyond your face on a webcam. There's a big disconnect happening there.

To elaborate on the office climate, the San Jose team enjoys lunches, parties, vacations and field trips while you sit back and look at the pictures of their fun on Facebook, or hear all about it from them while you chat online. The girls in the office enjoy nail painting parties and love bringing their pets to work most days (don't believe me? View the photos they chose to upload here on glassdoor). It's hardly an atmosphere conducive to getting serious work done and it makes you wonder how they can work in a petting zoo. The CEO has big ideas and big aspirations but lacks follow through while her demeanor consistently lacks professionalism and airs of contrived jubilation which has rubbed off on most of her surrounding team.

If you're a member of the San Jose team, Dishcrawl is very good to you, evidentiary by reviews on this site. However, remote employees are made to feel pretty dispensable while the office rewards itself for your hard work. The company appears to be going through big changes, however. They no longer have full time employees, the layoffs came a week or so before Christmas (if that wasn't bad enough, layoffs came a few weeks after one employee relocated and transferred across country... how thoughtful!) I would be wary of their job listings if I were you. At least wait a few years to see if they can get their act together.

Take a few courses in sensitivity training, because you guys need it. If you are employing individuals in far away cities and states and are only meeting with them via webcam and email, you need to work a lot harder to be sure to create a sense of loyalty and value to your ambassadors. Not only do they feel disconnected from you, but you are disconnected from them. Try being open with them about what's going on with your company. Keeping them in the dark doesn't create a sense of security and togetherness among your team-from-afar. Try to run your company like a business. Work should be fun, but it also needs to be structured and supportive of its employees (and restaurant partners for that matter) with a constant flow of communication with the people on the ground representing your brand: it's all necessary to be successful in your endeavors.

All of the opportunities & challenges of a start-up!

Current Employee - Ambassador
    Current Employee - Ambassador

I have been working at Dishcrawl full-time (less than an year)

Pros

A PT job with a lot of fun, food & freedom, and the opportunity to make a ton of great new connections in the restaurant and media community. As a FT employee, you have the chance to contribute at every level of growth, the sky is the limit! The team is super talented, and you will learn new things from your coworkers everyday!

Cons

You will work hard - this is a start-up, not a 9-5 corporate job. But if you are passionate about the concept and want to be a part of something big from the ground floor, you will love every minute of it!

Continue to make adjustments as you prepare for amazing growth!

Most disorganized employer ever.

Former Employee - Brand Manager in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Brand Manager in San Jose, CA

I worked at Dishcrawl full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Lots of room for creativity, empowerment, and growth.

Cons

New things launched every week or so, little follow-through. Given conflicting tasks. 10-12 hour work days even during "non-peak" times (weeks without events). Unrealistic expectations from senior management, and being told to demand equally unrealistic things from employees (ambassadors).

Look at other start-ups in the Bay Area in terms of structure, compensation, product/city launches, and growth. Stop trying to half-ass a city launch. Take your time, research, and invest resources. You dont have a second chance for a first impression. Don't drop that massive load on a single person (Ambassador). Compensate employees adequately ("if you pay peanuts, you get monkeys to work for you"). Do not screw Ambassadors over by demanding too much and proving them too little compensation- many of them have strong ties in their community and the restaurant owners, you will never be welcome there again (as you may already know).

Stress with a capital "S"

I worked at Dishcrawl full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I got to get out around town on a daily basis and meet lots of people at events.

Cons

When I first began with the company (part-time), I was ecstatic and anxious to bring the concept to my city. After several successful events, I made the decision to go full-time and it wound up not being what I expected. I felt as if I was a prisoner and nothing I did was ever good enough. With multiple video calls each day, it was impossible to get things done. God forbid if I only tweeted 30 times a day instead of 40. I spent so much time and money on gas and marketing and never earned it back. After having a new boss every week and seeing so many people let go, I decided to leave and it was the best decision I ever made. If you love food, feel like wasting time and earning an income is not important, this is the job for you.

Get more of a structure in place and deliver on your promises. Invest in your employees and you will be successful. Nothing is worse than constant turnover. My heart aches for those that have been used, especially those that made moves from other states.