Disney Consumer Products

Updated January 24, 2015
3.8

Disney Consumer Products President Bob Chapek
Bob Chapek

Pros
  • Great people, smartest I've ever worked with (in 8 reviews)

• Great people, fun place to work, work life balance (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance can be overlooked if your dept in understaffed (in 6 reviews)

• as with any big company, there are a ton of politics (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

41 Employee Reviews Back to all Reviews

I had a good internship experience that helped train me to succeed later in my career.

I worked at Disney Consumer Products as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Good events for interns. Good opportunity to network. Great coworkers and the chance to build a lasting network of smart colleagues. They also hire interns to full time.

Cons

Not all good interns are hired as it depends on the needs of the different departments the intern networks in. Pay is not great and no benefits. Glendale is not a great place to live.

Provide more insight into future opportunities with the company for interns.

Great Experience

Former Employee - Undergraduate Associate in Glendale, CA
    Former Employee - Undergraduate Associate in Glendale, CA

I worked at Disney Consumer Products

Pros

Helpful people, great program, great culture

Cons

Lots of organizational changes, layoffs

Creative Director / Consultant

Former Contractor - Creative Director in Glendale, CA
    Former Contractor - Creative Director in Glendale, CA

I worked at Disney Consumer Products as a contractor (more than 10 years)

Pros

Creative exciting environment. Wonderful people.

Cons

Big company. Lots of changes all the time.

I think it's important that your people know how much they are valued. That seems to be lacking.

The best of times, the worst of times

Former Employee - Middle Management in Burbank, CA
    Former Employee - Middle Management in Burbank, CA

I worked at Disney Consumer Products

Pros

Company name and assets. Loved being part of the 'team.' Love the history and the culture and met some of the finest people ever.

Cons

They burn you up and throw you out and in my case, hired a new subordinate of fraud (3 mo on the job and documented for falsifying time-sheets) in my place at 20k less/year of my salary.

Very friendly climate with good opportunities if you know where you want to go in your career.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Glendale, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Glendale, CA

I have been working at Disney Consumer Products full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Disney takes care of their employees and is quite invested in their personal growth and well-being. The company does a good job of keeping you informed of their long term goals and their plans to get there.

Cons

Work-life balance can be overlooked if your dept in understaffed. Expect to wear a few different hats under the banner of one job title. Office politics can frustrate you if you have a "same team" mentality. It can be hard to change outdated policies and ways of thinking that have never been questioned due to an old status quo.

Think long and hard on the feedback from the employee surveys, then take action where appropriate and necessary.

Amazing brand; smart, hard-working people; Byzantine politics

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Glendale, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Glendale, CA

I have been working at Disney Consumer Products full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Almost everyone you work with at DCP is clever, creative and hard-working. Working with a brand like Disney is a once-in-a-career experience. Perks like the park passes are great if you like that sort of thing

Cons

Decisions are slow, many of your co-workers are extremely risk-averse, and the politics are really quite something. Expect to make less than people with your title at other studios; and expect your title to be a notch or two below what it would be elsewhere.

Average, manager didn't have much time for me.

Former Intern - Financial Analyst in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Intern - Financial Analyst in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Disney Consumer Products as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Friendly and happy employees, company encourages cohesiveness amongst interns, employee meetings with high level management, openness to meet and communicate with senior management.

Cons

Could be good or bad depending on your superior- mine had little time to integrate me in projects. Others had great experiences that took them to great places.

Undergraduate Associate Program (Intern 2008)

I worked at Disney Consumer Products as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

It was really a fun learning experience. I learned so much within 6 months of this internship. Worked closed with the creative director and anyone in my team.

Cons

I can't really think of any cons...it was just fun and so much knowledge to be gained in 6 months.

Great internship experience

Former Intern - Summer Hire in Glendale, CA
    Former Intern - Summer Hire in Glendale, CA

I worked at Disney Consumer Products as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Despite Consumer Products being a pretty large part of the Disney brand, the interns will work with small departments and teams, which helps with networking and making the interns feel at home! You will also have a chance to work with a lot of other interns to connect with, all with diverse interests and experiences! I also got to talk to my supervisor a lot, who was the department director, and got to give a lot of feedback and get great career advice!

Cons

Work is pretty rigorous at times, but it helped me to produce a lot of great work samples to show future employers.

Very Satisfying working at the happiest place on earth

Former Employee - Vice President Global Creative Director in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Vice President Global Creative Director in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Disney Consumer Products full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I reported to an amazing boss at a presidential level .so I was given the responsibility and the freedom to execute my projects .And received amazing support .

Cons

Our division was growing so quickly (my responsibility was to raise the creative bar while hiring a team of people) .and my boss was also hiring other SR VP level people as well which created a lot of stress for everyone getting to know their roles and their fellow teammates.

The benfits at the level of VP were really good ,along with a free pass 365 days of the year for the parks .The Disney Company values their employees more than any I've ever known .

Disney Consumer Products Photos