Disney Consumer Products

Disney Consumer Products Reviews in Los Angeles, CA

Updated Jun 17, 2014

Disney Consumer Products President Bob Chapek

Bob Chapek

Pros
  • Great people, smartest I've ever worked with(in 8 reviews)

• Great people, fun place to work, work life balance(in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • For those who want to succeed here, work life balance is not possible(in 5 reviews)

• as with any big company, there are a ton of politics(in 3 reviews)

32 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Very Satisfying working at the happiest place on earth

Vice President Global Creative Director (Former Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsI reported to an amazing boss at a presidential level .so I was given the responsibility and the freedom to execute my projects .And received amazing support .

ConsOur division was growing so quickly (my responsibility was to raise the creative bar while hiring a team of people) .and my boss was also hiring other SR VP level people as well which created a lot of stress for everyone getting to know their roles and their fellow teammates.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe benfits at the level of VP were really good ,along with a free pass 365 days of the year for the parks .The Disney Company values their employees more than any I've ever known .

Beginning to Stabilize

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Glendale, CA

ProsGreat People to work with; Senior Management is becoming more knowledgeable about how to manage four businesses under a single Integrated Retail umbrella. New Senior team is very smart and make swift decisive choices that are often good.

ConsOpportunity for advancement is really limited; the turnover is exceptionally high as the company has been vigorously restructuring/calibrating for the last three years; if you are not part of the new regime you can kiss your hopes for advancement good-bye.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to recognize employees who are extremely talented and work to advance them versus recycling already installed bad talent expecting a different result from them, otherwise the good people who are really talented will continue to leave.

Fortune 500 company, well known brand/product

Senior Analyst (Current Employee) Glendale, CA

ProsGreat company with lots of different opportunities.

ConsCompensation isn't great if you start from the bottom and moved up within your team.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Where's the magic?

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Glendale, CA

ProsGreat benefits and a brand that should mean something amazing! Always proud to work for a company that has such passion towards creativity.

ConsAwful culture and environment. Executives both at DCP and Corporate have destroyed the passion that people used to bring to the job.

Advice to Senior ManagementUnderstand the value of your people proposition. I don't know anyone who isn't looking for a new job.

A very unhappy place to work since new upper management arrived. Culture of distrust, and constant fear of job loss.

Executive Team Member (Former Employee) Glendale, CA

ProsIncredible Facilities Team who have been there for a very long time, and know there stuff (with the exception of the Director who is not of much help with any request - he seems to be the person who is always "in a meeting"). Starbucks on the DCP campus. Some classes offered by the Learning and Development segment free of charge if you have the time.

ConsThe upper management lacks leadership skills, and knowledge of the licensing business. Terrible morale, people quitting without having new opportunities in place. Promotions given to all the wrong people, with talent and experience rarely a key element in the decisions. Layoffs seem to be a regular occurrence with re-org after re-org... Not enough support for day to day "work" - in other words top heavy with staff who mostly sit in meetings, and try to look good for the upper management. The Human Resources department is not helpful, or particularly knowledgable. The company seems to want to make them become more "strategic business partners", without regard for the actual employees. Pay is not great, but not terrible. It is not worth it to work in an unhappy environment.

Advice to Senior ManagementNew upper management, more suited to the licensing and product development world, is the only thing that could make DCP a good place to work again. Morale is lower than necessary. Less talk and more action. No one likes hearing "One DCP" repeatedly from upper management because when it is not backed up with actions it means nothing. Create an environment where there is accountability. Rather than having an actual course on how to navigate the politics of DCP, focus on changing that part of the culture to be that of a more accountable, honest, and rewarding place to work. Innovation is more than just a word, and it cannot happen in a place where creativity cannot thrive. Look to your lower level staff and promote from within for the right reasons. It will pay off, and turn over might slow down.

So much inconsistency

Manager (Current Employee) Glendale, CA

ProsGreat brand to be a part of. Good place to learn about licensing. Leverage these experiences for future opportunities (outside of the company).

ConsMore political than any place I have ever worked before. Not a meritocracy. A few gems at the management level, but most have little to no accountability for what it means to be a leader.

Advice to Senior ManagementJust when you think culture and accountability has hit rock bottom, there's still a basement ...

Incredible experience with high quality people that possess strong personal values.

Director (Former Employee) Glendale, CA

ProsThe people. By far the single biggest positive are the people you get an opportunity to work with. The HR Team does an outstanding job of finding intelligent, talented people of high quality character.

ConsSuccess tends to be predicated on an individuals presentation and not as much on objective performance.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue focus on the human capital side of the business.

DCP was a great learning experience, but the overall apathy and clique-ishness towards freelancers were a turn-off.

Central Creative - Designer (Former Employee) Glendale, CA

ProsIf you are interested in learning the convoluted political inner-workings of a global mega-brand - this is where to find it! It was fascinating to learn about the constant clashes between the lines of business and studio. DCP requires high-level problem solving skills and solid soft skills.

ConsLongterm cast members have a jaundiced eye towards any newcomers or freelancers. Be prepared to be silo'd off or excluded at first...

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement should take credit for hiring the right person instead of trying to hog ALL the accolades for themselves. Giving credit where credit is due inspires loyalty and continued work excellence amongst your charges.

Worst culture I've ever worked in

IT Consultant (Current Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsUm.... the drive wasn't too bad. Wait, actually the drive sucked too.

ConsMan years ago, between IT jobs, I worked for 2 weeks in the cels division of the "mouse". I was called in to fix a spreadsheet botched by one of the managers - a blatant affirmative action hire that corporate had obviously stuffed into a harmless corner of the company.

This idiot had entered serial numbers with leading zeroes as having the letter "O" instead. Naturally this wreaked havoc with sorting and every other data feature. He'd done this THOUSANDS OF TIMES, and couldn't figure out what was wrong.

I came in as an expert to fix it. I needed some online documentation for excel in order to do so. I went on their LAN (this is pre-internet) and found it. The fact that I'd gone and done this became some huge problem, and I got shown the door.

The whole time there I worked in this windowless bungalow with horrible air where everyone was sick all the time. I was very happy to leave (I shortly picked up a real programming job).

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep extending those copyright laws.

Working at Disney

Manager (Current Employee) Glendale, CA

ProsOpportunities to move to other areas, mainly lateral moves. Beautifully maintained studio lot and brand new Glendale campus. Free entrance to Disneyland. Environmentally conscious company and generous to charities including opportunities to volunteer. Lots of management and skill classes that are available to everyone.

ConsExtremely frequent lay offs. Very difficult to get promoted and make more money than 2-3% a year in merit increases. Current integration of movies, games, merchandising, music and publishing makes for a very messy work environment.

Advice to Senior ManagementEmployees want an opportunity to move up and have a growth plan. Consistent lay offs are extremely detrimental to morale and peace of mind.

Worked for Disney Consumer Products? Contribute to the Community!