Disney Consumer Products

Updated September 21, 2014
Updated September 21, 2014

Disney Consumer Products President Bob Chapek
Bob Chapek

Pros
  • Great people, smartest I've ever worked with (in 8 reviews)

• Great people, fun place to work, work life balance (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • For those who want to succeed here, work life balance is not possible (in 5 reviews)

• as with any big company, there are a ton of politics (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Average, manager didn't have much time for me.

Former Employee - Financial Analyst  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Financial Analyst in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Disney Consumer Products as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Friendly and happy employees, company encourages cohesiveness amongst interns, employee meetings with high level management, openness to meet and communicate with senior management.

Cons

Could be good or bad depending on your superior- mine had little time to integrate me in projects. Others had great experiences that took them to great places.

Undergraduate Associate Program (Intern 2008)

Former Employee - Undergraduate Associate  in  Glendale, CA
    Former Employee - Undergraduate Associate in Glendale, CA

I worked at Disney Consumer Products as an intern for less than a year

Pros

It was really a fun learning experience. I learned so much within 6 months of this internship. Worked closed with the creative director and anyone in my team.

Cons

I can't really think of any cons...it was just fun and so much knowledge to be gained in 6 months.

Great internship experience

Former Employee - Summer Hire  in  Glendale, CA
    Former Employee - Summer Hire in Glendale, CA

I worked at Disney Consumer Products as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Despite Consumer Products being a pretty large part of the Disney brand, the interns will work with small departments and teams, which helps with networking and making the interns feel at home! You will also have a chance to work with a lot of other interns to connect with, all with diverse interests and experiences! I also got to talk to my supervisor a lot, who was the department director, and got to give a lot of feedback and get great career advice!

Cons

Work is pretty rigorous at times, but it helped me to produce a lot of great work samples to show future employers.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good place to launch a career. Very slow moving.

I worked at Disney Consumer Products

Pros

Great culture and people. Lot to learn.

Cons

Very Slow internal movement. Staying too long could slow your career and motivation. Unfortunate as it should be completely opposite.

Be nimble. Promote talent.

You can do anything for a year

I have been working at Disney Consumer Products

Pros

Living in a foreign city

Cons

Lack of management support in the center

Very Satisfying working at the happiest place on earth

Former Employee - Vice President Global Creative Director  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Vice President Global Creative Director in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Disney Consumer Products full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I reported to an amazing boss at a presidential level .so I was given the responsibility and the freedom to execute my projects .And received amazing support .

Cons

Our division was growing so quickly (my responsibility was to raise the creative bar while hiring a team of people) .and my boss was also hiring other SR VP level people as well which created a lot of stress for everyone getting to know their roles and their fellow teammates.

The benfits at the level of VP were really good ,along with a free pass 365 days of the year for the parks .The Disney Company values their employees more than any I've ever known .

Beginning to Stabilize

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Glendale, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Glendale, CA

I worked at Disney Consumer Products full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great People to work with; Senior Management is becoming more knowledgeable about how to manage four businesses under a single Integrated Retail umbrella. New Senior team is very smart and make swift decisive choices that are often good.

Cons

Opportunity for advancement is really limited; the turnover is exceptionally high as the company has been vigorously restructuring/calibrating for the last three years; if you are not part of the new regime you can kiss your hopes for advancement good-bye.

Need to recognize employees who are extremely talented and work to advance them versus recycling already installed bad talent expecting a different result from them, otherwise the good people who are really talented will continue to leave.

Outdated, close-minded, no prospects

I have been working at Disney Consumer Products full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Despite all the cons, somehow the products don't suck - I guess the product dev people save the day. Free Disneyland and large discount on merchandise. The feel of being a part of magic.

Cons

Stifled environment. Incredibly bureaucratic and outdated, this isn't your startup or at least a place where you can get your ideas implemented. Secretive management and constant threat of being laid off. Employees terrified to talk back to managers. Pay is average or smaller than average. It is heartbreaking to see lots of time and money being wasted. Incompetent IT people and ridiculous internal software. Work is often completely paralyzed for weeks and months since everyone is overloaded with work no matter how late they stay. Absolutely no meritocracy, and inadequate, disconnected management leading to even more waste, delays and hiring useless people. Unhealthy working environment - no one is willing to help or share good practices, internal battles between teams and departments. Huge pressure leading to costly errors. People working for over 5-10 years and getting no promotions whatsoever. Not like they deserve it - there is little change or improvements in the way people do their job. Information is disorganized and hard to find. Employees not knowing and not caring about the company affairs and new movies.

Hire young, open-minded people who actually care about the company. Encourage teamwork instead of rivalry. Build and document processes. Dispose of internal software developers and hire new ones.

Fortune 500 company, well known brand/product

Current Employee - Senior Analyst  in  Glendale, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Glendale, CA

I have been working at Disney Consumer Products full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great company with lots of different opportunities.

Cons

Compensation isn't great if you start from the bottom and moved up within your team.

Manager, Strategy and Business Development

I worked at Disney Consumer Products for more than a year

Pros

The work is all project based and you are not micro manager when preparing pitch decks. The breadth of work the Consumer Products division offers you spans retail, licensing, publishing (books and apps) and other interesting new product spaces.

Cons

The group is run like and i-banking / PE firm (except without the big pay checks) with long hours and a high level of scrutiny on things like format instead of ideas. No open door policy with senior management and little to no positive feedback even for employees management considers to be high achieving. If you are going to work these hours with no positive environment might as well be in consulting and get the paycheck.

Worked for Disney Consumer Products? Contribute to the Community!