Disney Consumer Products

Disney Consumer Products Reviews

Updated Jul 26, 2014

Disney Consumer Products President Bob Chapek

Bob Chapek

Pros
  • Great people, smartest I've ever worked with(in 8 reviews)

• Great people, fun place to work, work life balance(in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • For those who want to succeed here, work life balance is not possible(in 5 reviews)

• as with any big company, there are a ton of politics(in 3 reviews)

Great internship experience

Summer Hire (Former Employee) Glendale, CA

ProsDespite Consumer Products being a pretty large part of the Disney brand, the interns will work with small departments and teams, which helps with networking and making the interns feel at home! You will also have a chance to work with a lot of other interns to connect with, all with diverse interests and experiences! I also got to talk to my supervisor a lot, who was the department director, and got to give a lot of feedback and get great career advice!

ConsWork is pretty rigorous at times, but it helped me to produce a lot of great work samples to show future employers.

Good place to launch a career. Very slow moving.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat culture and people. Lot to learn.

ConsVery Slow internal movement. Staying too long could slow your career and motivation. Unfortunate as it should be completely opposite.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe nimble. Promote talent.

You can do anything for a year

ProsLiving in a foreign city

ConsLack of management support in the center

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Very Satisfying working at the happiest place on earth

Vice President Global Creative Director (Former Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsI reported to an amazing boss at a presidential level .so I was given the responsibility and the freedom to execute my projects .And received amazing support .

ConsOur division was growing so quickly (my responsibility was to raise the creative bar while hiring a team of people) .and my boss was also hiring other SR VP level people as well which created a lot of stress for everyone getting to know their roles and their fellow teammates.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe benfits at the level of VP were really good ,along with a free pass 365 days of the year for the parks .The Disney Company values their employees more than any I've ever known .

Beginning to Stabilize

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Glendale, CA

ProsGreat People to work with; Senior Management is becoming more knowledgeable about how to manage four businesses under a single Integrated Retail umbrella. New Senior team is very smart and make swift decisive choices that are often good.

ConsOpportunity for advancement is really limited; the turnover is exceptionally high as the company has been vigorously restructuring/calibrating for the last three years; if you are not part of the new regime you can kiss your hopes for advancement good-bye.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to recognize employees who are extremely talented and work to advance them versus recycling already installed bad talent expecting a different result from them, otherwise the good people who are really talented will continue to leave.

Outdated, close-minded, no prospects

ProsDespite all the cons, somehow the products don't suck - I guess the product dev people save the day. Free Disneyland and large discount on merchandise. The feel of being a part of magic.

ConsStifled environment. Incredibly bureaucratic and outdated, this isn't your startup or at least a place where you can get your ideas implemented. Secretive management and constant threat of being laid off. Employees terrified to talk back to managers. Pay is average or smaller than average. It is heartbreaking to see lots of time and money being wasted. Incompetent IT people and ridiculous internal software. Work is often completely paralyzed for weeks and months since everyone is overloaded with work no matter how late they stay. Absolutely no meritocracy, and inadequate, disconnected management leading to even more waste, delays and hiring useless people. Unhealthy working environment - no one is willing to help or share good practices, internal battles between teams and departments. Huge pressure leading to costly errors. People working for over 5-10 years and getting no promotions whatsoever. Not like they deserve it - there is little change or improvements in the way people do their job. Information is disorganized and hard to find. Employees not knowing and not caring about the company affairs and new movies.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire young, open-minded people who actually care about the company. Encourage teamwork instead of rivalry. Build and document processes. Dispose of internal software developers and hire new ones.

Fortune 500 company, well known brand/product

Senior Analyst (Current Employee) Glendale, CA

ProsGreat company with lots of different opportunities.

ConsCompensation isn't great if you start from the bottom and moved up within your team.

Manager, Strategy and Business Development

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe work is all project based and you are not micro manager when preparing pitch decks. The breadth of work the Consumer Products division offers you spans retail, licensing, publishing (books and apps) and other interesting new product spaces.

ConsThe group is run like and i-banking / PE firm (except without the big pay checks) with long hours and a high level of scrutiny on things like format instead of ideas. No open door policy with senior management and little to no positive feedback even for employees management considers to be high achieving. If you are going to work these hours with no positive environment might as well be in consulting and get the paycheck.

Where's the magic?

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Glendale, CA

ProsGreat benefits and a brand that should mean something amazing! Always proud to work for a company that has such passion towards creativity.

ConsAwful culture and environment. Executives both at DCP and Corporate have destroyed the passion that people used to bring to the job.

Advice to Senior ManagementUnderstand the value of your people proposition. I don't know anyone who isn't looking for a new job.

Like many people, I have been a freelance consultant working closely with this division for several years.

ProsThere was a lot of energy and enthusiasm for the brand. People were/are initially excited to work for Disney. Everybody knows and recognizes the company. Many people love Disney.

ConsMany people also hate Disney. The hierarchy is set up so that moving up the ladder is paramount. For many, this means that throwing people "under the bus" can be a common occurrence. You must have a thick skin and be willing to roll with the punches for a period of time. I think that, for most people, after 2-3 years, it is time to move on to other things or you get sucked into the Disney vortex and it's hard to get out. Learn and move on.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat people well. Be kind. Motivate others by your own actions and behaviors. Keep competitiveness between employees in check. Emphasize the team vs. the individual.

Worked for Disney Consumer Products? Contribute to the Community!