Disney Interactive Studios

Disney Interactive Studios Reviews

Updated Jul 2, 2014

Disney Interactive Studios President, Disney Interactive James Pitaro

James Pitaro

Pros:
  • "People work hard but few stay late, a healthy work-life balance that is fully respected by management"
    in 5 reviews
  • "Great people, great benefits, great salary"
    in 7 reviews
Cons:
  • "Upper management has no idea what is going on"
    in 5 reviews
  • "There is a lack of communication form management, and when they do communicate it is rarely in person"
    in 3 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Great Place to Work

Project Manager (Current Employee)
    Glendale, CA

ProsFriendly, Talented people. Free Pizza on Fridays, frequent events. And it's Disney if that floats your boat - albeit not as magical as working in the parks I'd imagine

ConsNot much. The massive layoffs in March put a big damper on the spirits of the company, but they quickly moved to make sure that those that were let go had an opportunity to find employment either within Disney or elsewhere. The PR and HR efforts afterwards helped put the division back on track with a more streamlined direction.

I was miffed at how they treat the contractors though, just let them go by email/phone - they weren't even allowed one last day to come and pick up their stuff. Instead an HR person came and unceremoniously dumped their effects into a box to be shipped to them. Couldn't even say bye to people we've worked with and grown close to.

very nice company

Software Engineer (Former Employee)
    Bangalore (India)

Prosflexible timings in this company
    work from home is provided

Consno such cons as of now

QA Mobile Tester at Disney Interactive at Glendale

Mobile QA Tester (Current Employee)
    Glendale, CA

ProsThe people in the department are amazing to work with.

ConsCorporate. Dealing with a lot of layoffs lately, but it's expected.

Advice to Senior ManagementJust need to get a little more organized, but they're already taking steps towards that.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

The best I had so far

ProsGreat people, great benefits, great salary

ConsManagement can be sometimes slow at making decisions

Fun, high-energy atmosphere with lots of opportunities to innovate

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee)
    Kelowna, BC (Canada)

ProsWork with advanced technologies to solve challenges in a variety of domains, from highly scalable and reliable servers to multi-platform mobile applications. Fun, high-energy atmosphere

ConsLarge, multi-studio organization makes collaboration difficult. This can also lead to overlapping roles and duplication of work across studios.

Love the place and the people!

Kelowna, BC (Canada)

ProsToday the leadership team is excellent, it's an ever-changing environment that hires great people and has great values. The place has a heart.

ConsYou work hard but you do get to play hard. Confusing to understand how to get promoted.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep on doing what you're doing- clear vision, respecting people, providing constructive feedback.

Great work experience

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThere are some extremely bright people who are generally great to work with. The work is interesting and they are willing to take risks and try new things more than other studios. When I decided to move on to a new opportunity they were extremely supportive and have given me great recommendation since then.

ConsA couple of bad managers exist that are tough to deal with.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere's a tendency to have favorites by certain managers and I felt these favorites were often given the best projects. This was great when I was one of those, but those times when I wasn't I felt really stifled and unappreciated.

Great while it lasted--- art intern

Artist Intern (Former Employee)
    Glendale, CA

Prosthe work environment is good and the people are nice. the shift is from 8-6 respectively. Disney allowed access to many electronic expos and such, from which to network with smaller companies. they have good company cafeteria, coffee machine and bagels to eat each morning. sometimes the employees would bring in food to share and there is a 1hour lunch break. you will be writing ,drawing,photo bashing,Photoshop work on the computers provided or pitching to managers. the wage is decent and they prepare you well with critiques in the exit interview for your future. human resource handles workplace issues pretty well.

Consit was a very large group which lead to some disorganization and clicks formed. politics and
    lack of oversight between management and interns and miscommunication lead to some canceled projects
    just be aware that Disney is not allowed to hire interns here but prepare you for other industry connections and anything you create in Disney even if its done on off hour while inside the building is Disney copyright. large company contracts are like that for entry level, take it of leave it.

Advice to Senior Managementplease communicate intent and clarity of purpose when dealing with projects .

Working at DIS inspired my creativity every day and allowed me to flourish as a designer.

Associate Game Designer (Former Employee)
    Palo Alto, CA

ProsGreat Benefits, Competitive Pay, great team and rewarding projects to work on

ConsOccasional long hours and upper management has changed a lot lately which makes everyone nervous.

As an intern, it's a great experience!

Production Intern (Former Employee)
    London, England (UK)

ProsLots of perks, great parties, discounted merchandise.
    People are so friendly, and very positive, it makes it a joy to come to work.
    Working on some of the biggest named brands is always a pro.
    We were given a couple of days out of office to do courses to advance our skills.

ConsThe brand is very strict, it makes it difficult to be innovative.
    There seem to be people let go on an annual basis.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement was good actually, I have no qualms.

Worked for Disney Interactive Studios? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Disney Interactive Studios reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Disney Interactive Studios CEO James Pitaro. All 86 reviews posted anonymously by Disney Interactive Studios employees.