Disney Interactive Studios Reviews

134 reviews filtered by
3.2
Disney Interactive Studios President, Disney Interactive James Pitaro
James Pitaro

Pros
  • Great people, great benefits, great salary (in 10 reviews)

• People work hard but few stay late, a healthy work-life balance that is fully respected by management (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management seems to play musical chairs every 6 months, constantly realigning goals (in 11 reviews)

• I was not happy with work life balance at Disney (in 5 reviews)

1. Great experience as programming intern

Former Intern - Programming Intern in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Intern - Programming Intern in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Disney Interactive Studios as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Work at a fun title game with professionals

Cons

On my first day as intern, the supervisor was clearly not ready for an intern. Maybe they hadn't thoroughly thought the position of intern at the team?

2. Disney magic

I have been working at Disney Interactive Studios

Pros

I love working for Disney Interactive. Opportunity to learn and grow. Friendly colleagues.

Cons

Nothing I can think of.

Great place to work

Current Intern - Digital Production Artist in Glendale, CA
    Current Intern - Digital Production Artist in Glendale, CA

I have been working at Disney Interactive Studios as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Very nurturing environment
    Employees care about the wellbeing of the company
    Great employee activities

Cons

Hard to get a full time job

5. Intense, and awesome. Best job I ever had.

Former Intern - Art in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Intern - Art in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Disney Interactive Studios as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Avalanche Studios in Salt Lake City is an amazing place to work! I was very fortunate to work in a department that dealt with all areas of the studio. I met all the Art Directors and the Intern Forums really boosted my network with various co-workers throughout the studio. Disney is open to new ideas that help boost moral and improve workflow. Everyone I worked with was very positive, even when working 70 hour work weeks. As an intern you actually get real industry experience. You're not running around getting coffee. In fact there were a couple times my boss got coffee for me... that might have been an isolated experience though. Compensation was surprisingly competitive. You might be an intern, but they treat you like any other employee and they're very patient about teaching you the skills you need to move up in the industry. They say Disney is the happiest place on earth, and that is definitely true at Avalanche Studios. Even bad days were good days.

Cons

If I'd been full time I probably would say that the hours for crunch time were the worst part, but I didn't get hit with that as bad as most people. They really try to remedy that by offering workout time and life drawing sessions as well as weekly events to keep the team going. Long crunch time hours is pretty standard in the industry. This position was really tough to get into, you can expect about 400-600 applicants per job because of the Disney brand. Sometimes it can take a few months for them to get back to you about an application, so don't lose hope, but also realize you may not get the job immediately so plan ahead financially. Many of the employees have been at the studio for years; there's great job security, but it's really tough to get in. Because of the massive number of applicants they can be really picky, so you gotta shine good.

Advice to Management

Don't lose your vigor! You're amazing, and you gave excellent feedback and direction whenever I had troubles. Thank you so much for working so hard. Your job is tough and I applaud your drive. You never give up and that gives everyone else strength.

6. Wonderful Internship

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in Palo Alto, CA
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in Palo Alto, CA

I worked at Disney Interactive Studios as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

As it was an unpaid internship through my college, it was fairly non-standard, but I did get to see how it was for the other employees, as well as that it was my first real work experience.

Cons

Because it was an internship set up through college, I felt a bit out of place, and it was hard to introduce myself to the other employees because of how busy they were with their own projects.

7. I loved working at Disney!

I worked at Disney Interactive Studios full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I thought that Disney provided a great work environment for their employees This included a spacious office with great views, free snacks, access to a beautiful commissary and gift shop. There were great perks to working here as well including amazing benefits, discounts, and not to mention free Disneyland admission. I also loved that the company promoted professional development and growth.

Cons

I was not happy with work life balance at Disney. I found that I was answering an excessive amount of emails and phone calls outside of working hours and on weekends. While this is understandable if you are a salaried employee, as an hourly employee I did not feel like I was compensated well for my time outside of work.

Advice to Management

I'd like to see improvement in work life balance.

Great - while it lasted

Former Employee - UI Designer in Eugene, OR
    Former Employee - UI Designer in Eugene, OR

I worked at Disney Interactive Studios full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great company, bonuses given for performance as well as profit sharing. Company values the cast members and guests like family. Would relocate to continue with the company.

Cons

Red tape made it difficult to make good games, or even get one started. Upper management made some bad divisions early on that led to massive layoffs.

Advice to Management

Gives as much creative freedom over products as licensed studios. Trust the teamed making the products. Remove red tape to greenlight and start games. Teams that work on games they are proud of and are exited about are successfully. Don't force game ideas on studios.

9. Things have changed at Avalanche

I have been working at Disney Interactive Studios full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Working on the enormous hit title, Infinity. AAA home run game with more to come. Great people. There's creative input you won't find at other studios. Work hard, get your stuff done, you'll be okay.

Cons

Don't fool yourself, it's the game industry. If this is the career path you've chosen be aware things can change quickly, always be prepared.

Advice to Management

Smart decisions have been made to get us here, we're onto something good. The project's a hit, the momentum's rolling, let's keep it going!

10. Great Place to Work

Current Intern - Project Manager in Glendale, CA
    Current Intern - Project Manager in Glendale, CA

Pros

Friendly, Talented people. Free Pizza on Fridays, frequent events. And it's Disney if that floats your boat - albeit not as magical as working in the parks I'd imagine

Cons

Not much. The massive layoffs in March put a big damper on the spirits of the company, but they quickly moved to make sure that those that were let go had an opportunity to find employment either within Disney or elsewhere. The PR and HR efforts afterwards helped put the division back on track with a more streamlined direction.

I was miffed at how they treat the contractors though, just let them go by email/phone - they weren't even allowed one last day to come and pick up their stuff. Instead an HR person came and unceremoniously dumped their effects into a box to be shipped to them. Couldn't even say bye to people we've worked with and grown close to.

11. very nice company

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Bangalore (India)
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Bangalore (India)

I worked at Disney Interactive Studios full-time (more than a year)

Pros

flexible timings in this company
    work from home is provided

Cons

no such cons as of now

Disney Interactive Studios Photos