Disney Interactive Studios

Updated August 12, 2014

2.9

Disney Interactive Studios President, Disney Interactive James Pitaro
James Pitaro

Pros
  • People work hard but few stay late, a healthy work-life balance that is fully respected by management (in 5 reviews)

• Great people, great benefits, great salary (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • The culture was awesome and the company actively promoted and lived up to the promise of work life balance (in 4 reviews)

• Upper management has no idea how to develop a product strategy (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Great Place to Work

Current Employee - Project Manager  in  Glendale, CA
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Glendale, CA

I have been working at Disney Interactive Studios as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Friendly, Talented people. Free Pizza on Fridays, frequent events. And it's Disney if that floats your boat - albeit not as magical as working in the parks I'd imagine

Cons

Not much. The massive layoffs in March put a big damper on the spirits of the company, but they quickly moved to make sure that those that were let go had an opportunity to find employment either within Disney or elsewhere. The PR and HR efforts afterwards helped put the division back on track with a more streamlined direction.

I was miffed at how they treat the contractors though, just let them go by email/phone - they weren't even allowed one last day to come and pick up their stuff. Instead an HR person came and unceremoniously dumped their effects into a box to be shipped to them. Couldn't even say bye to people we've worked with and grown close to.

very nice company

Former Employee - Software Engineer  in  Bangalore (India)
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Bangalore (India)

I worked at Disney Interactive Studios full-time for more than a year

Pros

flexible timings in this company
    work from home is provided

Cons

no such cons as of now

QA Mobile Tester at Disney Interactive at Glendale

Current Employee - Mobile QA Tester  in  Glendale, CA
    Current Employee - Mobile QA Tester in Glendale, CA

I have been working at Disney Interactive Studios full-time for less than a year

Pros

The people in the department are amazing to work with.

Cons

Corporate. Dealing with a lot of layoffs lately, but it's expected.

Just need to get a little more organized, but they're already taking steps towards that.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

The best I had so far

I have been working at Disney Interactive Studios

Pros

Great people, great benefits, great salary

Cons

Management can be sometimes slow at making decisions

Fun, high-energy atmosphere with lots of opportunities to innovate

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer  in  Kelowna, BC (Canada)
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Kelowna, BC (Canada)

I have been working at Disney Interactive Studios full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Work with advanced technologies to solve challenges in a variety of domains, from highly scalable and reliable servers to multi-platform mobile applications. Fun, high-energy atmosphere

Cons

Large, multi-studio organization makes collaboration difficult. This can also lead to overlapping roles and duplication of work across studios.

Love the place and the people!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Kelowna, BC (Canada)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kelowna, BC (Canada)

I have been working at Disney Interactive Studios full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Today the leadership team is excellent, it's an ever-changing environment that hires great people and has great values. The place has a heart.

Cons

You work hard but you do get to play hard. Confusing to understand how to get promoted.

Keep on doing what you're doing- clear vision, respecting people, providing constructive feedback.

Great work experience

I worked at Disney Interactive Studios

Pros

There are some extremely bright people who are generally great to work with. The work is interesting and they are willing to take risks and try new things more than other studios. When I decided to move on to a new opportunity they were extremely supportive and have given me great recommendation since then.

Cons

A couple of bad managers exist that are tough to deal with.

There's a tendency to have favorites by certain managers and I felt these favorites were often given the best projects. This was great when I was one of those, but those times when I wasn't I felt really stifled and unappreciated.

Great if you have management support!

Former Employee - Senior Manager  in  Glendale, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Manager in Glendale, CA

I worked at Disney Interactive Studios full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I really liked Disney until the last year. Autonomy to build my team and program the way I wanted. Most supervisors helped me to remove roadblocks. Empowered to learn and grow.

Cons

In 4 years, there were at least 4 rounds of layoffs. Upper management was a revolving door. I never had the same boss for more than 1yr.

Stop shuffling so your workers can get a sense of stability. Stop getting in the way. Lean in less often. Buy a good development company and allow them to make you an awesome game.

Great while it lasted--- art intern

Former Employee - Artist Intern  in  Glendale, CA
    Former Employee - Artist Intern in Glendale, CA

I worked at Disney Interactive Studios as an intern for less than a year

Pros

the work environment is good and the people are nice. the shift is from 8-6 respectively. Disney allowed access to many electronic expos and such, from which to network with smaller companies. they have good company cafeteria, coffee machine and bagels to eat each morning. sometimes the employees would bring in food to share and there is a 1hour lunch break. you will be writing ,drawing,photo bashing,Photoshop work on the computers provided or pitching to managers. the wage is decent and they prepare you well with critiques in the exit interview for your future. human resource handles workplace issues pretty well.

Cons

it was a very large group which lead to some disorganization and clicks formed. politics and
    lack of oversight between management and interns and miscommunication lead to some canceled projects
    just be aware that Disney is not allowed to hire interns here but prepare you for other industry connections and anything you create in Disney even if its done on off hour while inside the building is Disney copyright. large company contracts are like that for entry level, take it of leave it.

please communicate intent and clarity of purpose when dealing with projects .

Working at DIS inspired my creativity every day and allowed me to flourish as a designer.

Former Employee - Associate Game Designer  in  Palo Alto, CA
    Former Employee - Associate Game Designer in Palo Alto, CA

I worked at Disney Interactive Studios full-time

Pros

Great Benefits, Competitive Pay, great team and rewarding projects to work on

Cons

Occasional long hours and upper management has changed a lot lately which makes everyone nervous.

Worked for Disney Interactive Studios? Contribute to the Community!