Disney Interactive Studios

Disney Interactive Studios Reviews

Updated Jul 2, 2014

Disney Interactive Studios President, Disney Interactive James Pitaro

James Pitaro

Pros:
  • "People work hard but few stay late, a healthy work-life balance that is fully respected by management"
    in 5 reviews
  • "Great people, great benefits, great salary"
    in 7 reviews
Cons:
  • "Upper management has no idea what is going on"
    in 5 reviews
  • "There is a lack of communication form management, and when they do communicate it is rarely in person"
    in 3 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Great while it lasted--- art intern

Artist Intern (Former Employee)
    Glendale, CA

Prosthe work environment is good and the people are nice. the shift is from 8-6 respectively. Disney allowed access to many electronic expos and such, from which to network with smaller companies. they have good company cafeteria, coffee machine and bagels to eat each morning. sometimes the employees would bring in food to share and there is a 1hour lunch break. you will be writing ,drawing,photo bashing,Photoshop work on the computers provided or pitching to managers. the wage is decent and they prepare you well with critiques in the exit interview for your future. human resource handles workplace issues pretty well.

Consit was a very large group which lead to some disorganization and clicks formed. politics and
    lack of oversight between management and interns and miscommunication lead to some canceled projects
    just be aware that Disney is not allowed to hire interns here but prepare you for other industry connections and anything you create in Disney even if its done on off hour while inside the building is Disney copyright. large company contracts are like that for entry level, take it of leave it.

Advice to Senior Managementplease communicate intent and clarity of purpose when dealing with projects .

Terrible QA mobile management

QA Tester (Former Employee)
    Glendale, CA

ProsDisney interactive is a creative place
    The Ethic and culture that Disney tries to embody is contagious

ConsQA mobile management has no strategy to lead QA
    The whole department is led by fear and internal politics
    Internal policies are constantly reversed which triggers anger/confusion from producers
    QA mobile management is more concerned about their own career advancement than the product
    Connections/Internal politics dictate every decision made internally
    People that work hard but are not part of the management clan do not have any opportunity to move up and will conveniently be blamed when management needs a scapegoat.
    QA mobile management is reactive to problems instead of being proactive and always reacts with negative decisions rather than constructive decisions

Advice to Senior ManagementBullies will not always win... enjoy it while it lasts

Underpaid with no opportunity for growth

ProsThe people who work for Disney are all very bright, intelligent, and friendly people. It's a nice environment. Additionally, the benefits and perks are fantastic - even more so if you're a Disney fan. It's a great IP to work with. There's something exciting about working for a company such as Disney with such a long-standing tradition of quality entertainment.

ConsSadly Disney Interactive is struggling to make ends meet. There is very little opportunity for career growth and salaries to typically far below fair market value.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider your employees as people. Give them opportunities to grow. Pay them fair market value.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Senior Project Manager, Senior Producer

Senior Producer (Former Employee)

ProsFree passes to Disney theme parks, greatly discounted resorts and cruises

Conswork life balance non-existent
    high executive turnover
    weak executive oversight in interactive divisions (bad casting)

Advice to Senior Managementhire qualified senior talent with actual games experience and proven track records of delivering quality and profitability

It's great if you're a big Disney fan.

Producer (Former Employee)
    Glendale, CA

ProsYou get the access and the benefits of working for Disney. If you have kids this is a big plus.

ConsThe annual layoffs. Every year regardless of your business units performance there will be significant layoffs.

Missed opportunities galore.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Glendale, CA

ProsReally enjoyed the people I worked with. Smart, care about what they're doing.

ConsOrganization restructures much too often to allow employees to find their rhythm.

Just terrible

Sales Manager (Current Employee)
    Los Angeles, CA

ProsTons of potential never realized

ConsHorrid management. A snake pit of underqualified yet tenured Disney lifers call the shots while the equally inept ex-yahoo management trip all over themselves and hide behind the CEOs blindspot with bob iger.

Gained a lot of experience despite clueless management

Manager (Former Employee)
    Glendale, CA

ProsDue to the constant chaos and strategy changes I was able to get my hands on a lot of projects and learn a ton of experience during my time there. It has provided me an experience platform to be competitive in the market.

Cons-Upper management has no idea how to develop a product strategy. They are truly only motivated to keep their own jobs. There is an inner circle of people who most likely are unable to get jobs at more competitive tech firms.
    -Product strategy constantly changes. Opportunities are ignored while energy is poured into lackluster revenue streams.
    -Projects will be assigned and days or weeks will be put into their completion only to have terrible management unable to capitalize on your work. Honestly, they are the worst business people I've worked with.

Advice to Senior ManagementEnjoy your time there while you can because nobody is going to hire you once DI is dissolved into the profitable Disney divisions.

You're with The Mouse but...

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsTalented people, some of the best, good office culture. Employees are mostly well-compensated. There are worse places you could work.

ConsLack of creativity, surprisingly. Leadership changes every few year or two to chase profitability and they close down a studio they bought not long before. Making a quality product is much further down the list. Chasing trends and replicating rather than taking a small risk on originality.

Advice to Senior ManagementLess "gatekeepers", less relying on approval processes.

Say one thing and do another

QA Tester (Current Employee)
    Glendale, CA

ProsGreat working condiditons, They have free snacks as well as free pizza every other Friday. open office layout with some oppertunity to talk with devs. Leads know thier stuff and are for the most part experianced.

ConsNo real path to move up. In certain ways make you feel like a second class citizen. I was told 18 mo contract and they let me go just after 4. Also lots of layoffs since I was let go as well with only a day notice. No feedback about how well you are doing. They keep saying there is possibility of becoming permanent but it rarely ever happens.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease give better feedback and give more of us a chance to become permanent so that the quality of your releases are better. Also give more realistic amounts of time for contracts, finding out 4 months in of a 18 month contract with one day notice that you are going to be let go just because feels a little dishonest.

Worked for Disney Interactive Studios? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Disney Interactive Studios reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Disney Interactive Studios CEO James Pitaro. All 86 reviews posted anonymously by Disney Interactive Studios employees.