DivX

Updated November 18, 2014
3.1

DivX President and CEO David C. (Dave) Habinger
David C. (Dave) Habinger

Great place to work, great products, great team.

I have been working at DivX

Pros

clear vision. strong leadership. values innovation. team comes first.

Cons

a bit political. tight budgets. over-focus on revenue. lots of travel.

Awesome People! Lack of new ideas.

I have been working at DivX full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Awesome people, awesome place to work

Cons

No new ideas
    Brand has been depricated

Give people something to be excited about and work hard on.
    Generate new ways to monetize the codec and get people to like DivX again

The people at DivX are wonderful, however the overhead Rovi management is incompetent and destructive

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I worked at DivX full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The people are very intelligent, capable and by and large friendly. There are a number of legacy HR perks from a time prior to the company handoff to Sonic and then Rovi. I feel like I learned quite a bit while working at DivX.

Cons

The upper management is horrendous. They seem to be deaf towards the lower and mid level employee. The pandemic story is of projects doomed to failure from inception. Many times projects move forward despite adamant warnings and protests.

All too often employees know that what they are doing is too expensive and on an unreasonable time table, however no one up the ladder is listening. This results in a furiously paced and somewhat unfocused work life. Its very heartbreaking to perform work place miracles only to see a project fail. Its even worse to then be assigned blame for the projects ultimate demise.

Rovi at its core makes a majority of its profit from IP licensing which is low hanging fruit. This seems to color the expectations for the rest of Rovi operations.

Many mid level and even low level employees know what is and what isn't profitable over the long run. You can save a lot of money by putting ears to the ground and not bulldozing over the lower end staff and disregarding warning from mid level management.

it was a good company

Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Diego, CA

I worked at DivX full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

good benefit, insurance, and weather

Cons

need improve planning, food, office, and equipment.

Nice people (for the most part) astonishingly poor decision-making and top management

I worked at DivX

Pros

A lot of the people are really nice. Some of the benefits were very creative, although oftentimes deliberately inexpensive, which is fine, it just shouldn't be used to justify a lack of more traditional benefits.

Cons

Obscure, unkind politics. A very political, back-stabbing environment that pretends it isn't. There is a significant lack of sustained direction, and almost no professional management that really knows how to support employees. Overall, I regret ever working there.

Resign, and make way for adults. transparency and honesty are essential components of trust. When people don't get the facts, the rumor mill takes over which is incredibly destructive. There is a terrible "buddy" network that is destructive.

QA Engineer - Great job for first time job seeker not for professionals.

Former Employee - QA Engineer in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - QA Engineer in San Diego, CA

I worked at DivX

Pros

1. Work life balance is good.
    2. 4 weeks vacation.

Cons

1. Look at number of years of experience rather than how smart you are.
    2. Not too much growth.

Hire some smart QA folks and get rid of useless leadership in QA management.

Work-life balance, skewed to life...

I worked at DivX

Pros

- Good compensation for the level of work required.
    - Relatively ease of transfer from one functional area to another allowing for personal growth if desired.
    - Global company
    - Very favorable to work-life balance

Cons

- Stagnant company, not a lot of overall growth.
    - Hit & miss on peers, as a lot are unmotivated
    - High degree of internal politics amongst middle-level management

Challenge the work force to meet goals and allow employees to grow and take risks. Overall company needs to increase risk tolerance. But will see if transition to Sonic allows for this change.

What happened?

I have been working at DivX

Pros

Capable and fun people to work with
    Exciting technology
    Good benefits

Cons

Management sold us out!
    Just when DivX turned the corner and become profitable, management sells out to a company that doesn't post profits and whose stock is a complete roller coaster

Rescind the deal or find a better acquirer.

Great benefits, great team, mediocre vision and leadership in senior management.

I have been working at DivX

Pros

We as employees get away with a lot here with all the benefits provided by DivX; sometimes almost too a point of taking it for granted. There are a lot of smart, driven, multifaceted individuals that contribute to one of the most talented teams at any company.

When we all eventually need to move on for personal growth, career growth, etc, we will realize how much we had it good.

Cons

UItimately, even the best team coached poorly produces mediocrity and mediocre products. A good team needs a good visionary, a good leader, and a good mentor... sadly DivX suffers from what many other companies have too. The worst part is, as a small company, mediocrity simply pays the bills, not build a future.

Compensation is ok but by far career advancement is tough and often, showing mild favoritism. With a lack of corporate growth there just isn't anywhere to move to at the moment.

Honesty, transparency.

All the reviews here are true and I should have believed them

I have been working at DivX

Pros

Flexible, good work life balance, decent benefits, relaxed environment, & cool co-workers

Cons

Poor products and the management is horrible! No vision, guts, nor potential. Snapshot of a DivX VP: spends all his time making presentations for upper management in order to approve projects that would never see the light of day because he spends too much time squabbling with other VPs and making aimless powerpoints.

I'm glad you have been bought out. So this message is to sonic. Fire all the VPs and start fresh.

DivX Photos

Outside of DivX headquarter offices located in San Diego, California. (Photo by Coolcaesar - available under CC-BY-NC-SA 3.0 & GFDL, v1.2)

+ Add Photo