Dixon Hughes Goodman

Dixon Hughes Goodman Reviews

Updated Jul 24, 2014

Dixon Hughes Goodman CEO Matt Snow

Matt Snow

Pros
  • Management really caters to your work-life balance(in 10 reviews)

• Great pay, very nice people who are willing to help you always(in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Busy season is going to be rough but they'll reward you afterwards(in 9 reviews)

• Moving towards Big 4 corporate culture minus the name recognition(in 7 reviews)

Growing company, trying to be like the Big 4

(Former Employee)

ProsSome great managers / partners, willing to help you grow in your career. Excellent internal training programs.

ConsSome of the partners/managers are intolerable. The firm is trying very hard to become a regional mirror of the big 4 model, which is undesirable to some employees. There is an up-or-out mentality, and a large push for business development, which did not sit well with many staff who felt uncomfortable managing others, or selling services.

Typical realization vs. utilization struggles - even outside of busy season many staff would work 40+ hours and eat hours, just to keep their budget numbers up.

Advice to Senior ManagementBig-4 salaries should accompany Big-4 pressure / responsibilities. If DHG truly wants to be regional, they will need to evaluate the business model for each region. What works in Charlotte, NC is unlikely to work in Roanoke, VA.

My experience was mostly positive.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Virginia Beach, VA

ProsGood pay, if you are on the public side of accounting, not so much if you are working internally.

ConsToo much change. During merge, company said they would look out for their employees, but after the fact, the bigger company kept more of their employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more honest with your employees. When more than two or three people complain about a supervisor or manager, maybe it's not the employees, but it's the supervisor or manager.

Great Internship Experience

ProsHighly competitive salary. Excellent training and experience.

ConsNot enough real time with current employees due to busy season.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Associate

ProsGreat place to work. The people are fun and make a point to make work as fun as possible while maintaining a high level on professionalism .

ConsFor public accounting the work can become to specific in one industry where it may make it more difficult to move into other areas in the future. Only located in the south east.

Not what you expect

ProsThey do a great job at attracting people to work.

ConsThey treat interns better than there employees. This office loses talent for bad mgmt.

Work experience at entry level was just okay. This co is good for experienced auditor who could bring their expertise in

Audit Associate (Current Employee) Rockville, MD

Pros- CPA review course expenses were reimbursed to employees.
     - Offered with overtime pay
     - Some of the co-workers are friendly to work with.

Cons- In two instances, there were lack of communication between team members and management which led to confusion during the finalized stage.
     - Got to manage playing politics on top of handling audit engagement efficiently.

Advice to Senior Management- Provide effective training to employees at entry level.
     - Employee retention program should be enhanced to retain employees with great quality.

Has the potential to be a great company

Associate - FTG Client Services (Current Employee)

ProsGreat health and dental benefits, 401k and flexible work schedule

ConsThe office that I work in people are not very friendly. There are cliques in the office and if your not part of these cliques you may feel excluded. If you are a minority you really feel excluded.

Advice to Senior ManagementAdvise your staff to welcome everyone as a person and don't look down on other's because of status, race or ethnicity. Provide more diversity training and maybe try hiring more minorities.

Good place to work but moving toward big 4 mentality.

Senior Associate (Current Employee) Asheville, NC

ProsEnjoyable group of people to work with. Technology and training better than average. Strong ethics.

ConsMoving towards Big 4 corporate culture minus the name recognition. Talk more about work life balance than put it into practice...more work less life. Small annual raises.

Positive Culture

Tax Manager (Current Employee)

ProsA positive firm culture that encourages communication. The leadership invests time and money to get everyone trained for their position and industry specialty. Partners encourage client interaction at all levels and few act as if they own a client since all clients belong to the firm not any one individual. The firm attracts top talent as well as large clients with complex and interesting projects. The choice to specialize in select industries has fostered growth as clients seek out this firm for their depth of expertise that is supported by the firms national network of specialists that are continuously looking for new and innovating ways to assist clients and plan for changes that affect clients in each specialty niche.

ConsCompensation and bonuses are below competitors in the area for positions above staff level. However, the excellent benefit plan helps to make up some of the difference. Sometimes partners don't do everything necessary to retain top talent.

Advice to Senior ManagementRewarding existing employees in a way that is competitive with other public accounting firms would help retention and save time and money spent on recruiting for experienced CPAs.

Great company

Senior Associate (Current Employee)

ProsAwesome at what they do

ConsI dont have any cons

Worked for Dixon Hughes Goodman? Contribute to the Community!