Dixon Hughes Goodman

Dixon Hughes Goodman Reviews

Updated Jul 8, 2014

Dixon Hughes Goodman CEO Matt Snow

Matt Snow

Pros:
  • "Management really caters to your work-life balance"
    in 8 reviews
  • "Great pay, very nice people who are willing to help you always"
    in 4 reviews
Cons:
  • "Busy season is going to be rough but they'll reward you afterwards"
    in 8 reviews
  • "The firm is trying very hard to become a regional mirror of the big 4 model, which is undesirable to some employees"
    in 5 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

great company with lots of opportunity!

Marketing Coordinator (Current Employee)
    Jacksonville, FL

ProsOffice culture is very laid back, not like traditional accounting firms. Work-life balance is pretty good. Of course busy season is going to be long, hard hours and weekends but most other weeks you get your 40 hours in and you're good to go. There are a lot of opportunities to grow and you get to decide what path you'd like to go down.

ConsMessage from the top isn't always communicated through all levels. Can feel like you're in the dark about things.

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunicate more effectively. Your employees are listening and would like to help/know what's going on.

DHG is a high quality firm with great clients and good culture.

Manager (Current Employee)
    Fort Worth, TX

ProsThe best aspect of DHG is having the resources of a national firm, but the ability to work in a smaller office. Also, the specialization in certain industries that DHG serves allows you to work on very complex issues and serve very high quality clients. DHG continues to work on making the firm a better place for employees.

ConsThe firm does not have a traditional promotion track after Manager and it is not heavily based on contributions or achievements. You have to be in the right place at the right time for some promotions. However, there is incredible opportunity for growth and promotion because of the way DHG goes to market as a firm, not as individual partners. There is a heavy team atmosphere on how the firm attracts and serves clients.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe market for talent is very tight because demand has outweighed supply for many years now. Do whatever it takes to retain top talent and attract new talent so that the leverage model can improve. Some of the firms most successful clients have already learned this lesson which is evident by the long tenure of their best employees. DHG should consider learning from and copying this model since our employees are what makes the firm profitable and successful.

Great experience

ProsDHG is a great company to work for, if you are willing to put in the required effort.

ConsIncreased stress at various times

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great company!

ProsPeople, work-life balance, paid time off, recruting

ConsCompensation, trying to move to more "Big 4" model

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't lose the culture, it's why so many people work here

Audit Associate

Prosgood place to work at DHG, and i like there

Conssmaller than big 4 accounting firms of course

Changed since the merger

Senior Tax Associate (Current Employee)
    Rockville, MD

ProsOkay pay. I worked with some great people including partners (all of whom were there when the firm was just Goodman & Company).

ConsEver since the merger with Dixon Hughes the firm became more and more like a Big Four. Our office worked with other regional offices a lot and since both offices were so different there were too many clashes and politics. Busy season used to be manageable but more recently the expectations for you to be there late were higher. Upper management is also very shady and hard to trust (regional and office managing partners as well as human resource managers). The partners in the region can't even communicate with each other.

Overall the more hours you put in the better you'll do. If thats your thing than I'd recommend DHG over a Big Four.

Advice to Senior ManagementFigure out what kind of firm you're trying to be and communicate more clear with all staff including partners. Don't offer flex schedules or any other work/life balance benefits if it is only going to get looked down on by upper management.

Horrible Company, I would not work for them again, ever.

Hardware Service Technician Intern (Former Employee)
    High Point, NC

Pros- Decent Pay
    - Good parking space (Sorry, had to add five words for pros, I didn't want to though)

Cons- Rude employees
    - Horrible management
    - Also, I was told that this was an open-end internship, by two people (supervisor and recruiter), but then just today, told that this was seasonal. Ether they are liars, or that don't know how to get the information right which makes me wonder about this so-called "great" company. "People" my butt.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet your hiring details straight before you hire someone onboard. Do NOT tell someone that they would stay there for a long time and then suddenly turn around and lay them off for no stupid reason! I am infuriated with this company and it's lousy policies.

Confusion

Partner (Former Employee)
    Richmond, VA

ProsTraining for technical skills and knowledge.

ConsUpper management is obsessed with numerical goals.

Advice to Senior ManagementNot only needs to get everyone on the same page, but needs to figure out what is on that page to begin with.

Great Company

Marketing Coordinator (Current Employee)
    Jacksonville, FL

ProsGenerally across the board this company is unlike most accounting firms. Partners care about their employees and their development. It's a corporate company but every office makes their own decision on how they want to move in the marketplace. The Jax office is very relaxed where the partners treat you as an equal. There is opportunity however you'll have to put in your time and show your skills through your work. Work-life balance is really important there. They do many happy hours and try to get the staff out as much as possible given the taxing busy season (pun intended).

ConsStill has that traditional accounting feel. Busy season is going to be rough but they'll reward you afterwards. Corporate company so there's always someone else you have to ultimately answer to.

Advice to Senior ManagementFavorites are always going to happen but trying to minimize it as much as possible would create a better culture.

Great people and work environment

Audit Intern (Former Employee)
    Charlotte, NC

ProsManagement really caters to your work-life balance. There is a strong feeling of camaraderie. As an intern, it was refreshing and empowering to know that even top senior management was willing to help answer any questions I might have had.

ConsInternships during the summer,especially in the audit department, are a bit slow; however, thats simply the nature of the business. I would highly suggest an internship during the busy season if your looking for real experience.

Worked for Dixon Hughes Goodman? Contribute to the Community!

Dixon Hughes Goodman Videos

Dixon Hughes Goodman – Why Work for Us?

Our Culture With Dixon Hughes Goodman you get the best of both worlds. We have the warm, friendly, welcoming environment people seek in smaller firms, yet we have the resources and advancement opportunities of a… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Dixon Hughes Goodman reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Dixon Hughes Goodman CEO Matt Snow. All 57 reviews posted anonymously by Dixon Hughes Goodman employees.