Dixon Hughes Goodman Reviews

Updated October 18, 2014
3.5

Dixon Hughes Goodman CEO Matt Snow
Matt Snow

Pros
  • Management really caters to your work-life balance (in 10 reviews)

• Great pay, very nice people who are willing to help you always (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Busy season is going to be rough but they'll reward you afterwards (in 9 reviews)

• This firm is not the Big 4, or even top 10, but they sure act like it (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

Great learning experience, but culture needs work

Former Employee - Tax Associate in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Tax Associate in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Dixon Hughes Goodman full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The company really allows you to get experience in a variety of areas including individual tax, federal tax and state and local tax, as well as the opportunity to work with various types of entities. They give you a lot of freedom (no "big brother" watching over you) and allow you to self-manage and really take ownership of your work. The health benefits were good, a lot of options. Plus, the amount of time off was very generous (sick and PTO combined). It was a good job for my first job out of college.

Cons

Company culture is lacking. There was little communication and camaraderie among the general areas (tax, audit and consulting). The "tone from the top" seemed a little too focused on making money and not on taking care of their employees. The overtime was really draining, which is pretty typical of public accounting firms, but that doesn't make it right. There were almost no incentives for employees either, I rarely heard of anyone receiving a bonus.

Give employees an incentive to go above and beyond, and work on creating a more inclusive culture.

Needs uniformity

Former Employee - Manager
    Former Employee - Manager

I worked at Dixon Hughes Goodman full-time

Pros

The pros really depend on where you start your career here, I believe. Certain new hires go through a lavish orientation and are equipped with more equipment and research materials than they'll ever use. The firm's technology is strong--to the point possibly that there's redundant software and subscriptions. Lots of support staff, such as office administrators, marketing professionals, IT, etc.

There are occasional people in leadership that really seem to care. Senior management, for better or worse, is trying to raise the firm's status and image to that of a Top 10 firm. This has its issues though, as discussed below.

Benefits and pay are comparable to other firms, possibly a bit higher than direct competitors. Promotions come easily, but that's a double-edged sword of course.

Cons

Unless you work within one of the larger offices, a new hire is likely to get silo'ed pretty quickly underneath a single partner or director. Despite senior management's desire to be seen as a firm with four distinct and uniform divisions, many offices continue to suffer from fractured lines due to rapid acquisition of local firms. In my experience, I was assigned to a particular partner and soon found my lateral mobility within the firm was zero. While I was branded as being part of a "national practice", the reality was I served the pleasure of a single person, seldom able to follow my own interests or pursuits.

I suppose if you luck up and pair with a decent partner, you could have an enjoyable career here--but I saw just as many losers as winners. And by losers, I mean partners stuck squarely in a loop of "do my thing, get my bills, do my thing again" with very little thought to succession planning, growing people, and expanding skills. In my years at DHG, I saw a great many bright young associates throughout the region either get let go or leave due to lack of work and mobility when it was clear it was that person's partner to blame. How this can happen in a firm that is supposedly a "super-regional" (their term, not mine) is a shame.

In sharp contrast to that, the firm tends to have an "up or out" career plan in which it doesn't tolerate professionals who want to stay at a certain level. The "up or out" taken in tandem with the lack of lateral mobility and freedom of pursuit can make a person begin to feel pretty stressed.

I won't say there's NO communication from upper management, because that's not true. There's lots of it, but the problem is most of it is bogus. If you pay attention over any span of time, you begin to see a lot of retractions, reversals, and contradictory positions.

TL;DR - This firm is a hodge-podge of small firms trying to perform as one large one. I predict it's going to have several years of growing pains before it will be a uniformly-stable work environment.

Glassdoor wants me to give advice to upper management, but I wouldn't presume to tell them their business. My advice is to middle-management (regional leaders)... put a stop to the silos in your regions. They're a product of a bygone era of the profession. They allow a bad manager or a bad partner to do too much damage. They lock new employees into paths assigned by chance.

And maybe cool it with the fancy new titles.

Previous seasonal employee

Former Employee - Tax Associate in Jacksonville, FL
    Former Employee - Tax Associate in Jacksonville, FL

I worked at Dixon Hughes Goodman full-time (less than an year)

Pros

DHG is a very professional firm that encourages constant education of it's staff. The compensation is comparable to the industry standards. With offices in other states, there is an abundance of information not available to smaller, local firms.

Cons

There are truly no 'cons' to working with DHG. The partners are knowledgeable and available to the staff as needed.

I quit!

I worked at Dixon Hughes Goodman full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits were really good better than state and local government benefits. Initially, when i was hired, i thought this was a great place to work until the company merger with DHG. " all hell broke loose" There are good people in this company and many that i will miss dearly but i couldn't continue to work in an unhealthy environment.

Cons

After the merger , things changed , over worked, under-paid, and stressed out beyond being healthy. My possibility to move up in the firm was slim to none. I was not in the clique sort of speak - being african american and female working amongst predominantly white males counterparts. There is no diversity what so ever in this company to a degree that doesn't even seem legal. High turn over rate!

Listen to your employees as they have good ideas and opinions too. Value and retain talent. Break up the cliques. Hire a work force that looks like the country in which we live in . Partners are not the second coming messiah.

Good start out of school

Current Employee - Associate
    Current Employee - Associate

I have been working at Dixon Hughes Goodman full-time

Pros

-Good learning environment
    -Comes with some of the benefits of being a larger firm with a small firm feel

Cons

-Mediocre benefits
    -No overtime or bonuses
    -Limited areas to move into outside of traditional tax & audit roles
    -Unbalanced workload between offices although compensation remains the same (only slightly adjusted for cost of living)

-Increase transparency
    -Offer incentives
    -Make the expectations clearer to new employees regarding knowledge, productivity, hours, etc.

I had a great experience learning about the company and experiencing both tax and audit work during the busy season

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Norfolk, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Norfolk, VA

I have been working at Dixon Hughes Goodman as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Employees are treated with respect and given opportunities to grow.

Cons

The office recently combined with the Virginia Beach office and there is still differences between how the Norfolk and Virginia Beach partners and managers want things done.

great company with lots of opportunity!

Current Employee - Marketing Coordinator in Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Marketing Coordinator in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at Dixon Hughes Goodman full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Office culture is very laid back, not like traditional accounting firms. Work-life balance is pretty good. Of course busy season is going to be long, hard hours and weekends but most other weeks you get your 40 hours in and you're good to go. There are a lot of opportunities to grow and you get to decide what path you'd like to go down.

Cons

Message from the top isn't always communicated through all levels. Can feel like you're in the dark about things.

Communicate more effectively. Your employees are listening and would like to help/know what's going on.

DHG is a high quality firm with great clients and good culture.

Current Employee - Manager in Fort Worth, TX
    Current Employee - Manager in Fort Worth, TX

I have been working at Dixon Hughes Goodman full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The best aspect of DHG is having the resources of a national firm, but the ability to work in a smaller office. Also, the specialization in certain industries that DHG serves allows you to work on very complex issues and serve very high quality clients. DHG continues to work on making the firm a better place for employees.

Cons

The firm does not have a traditional promotion track after Manager and it is not heavily based on contributions or achievements. You have to be in the right place at the right time for some promotions. However, there is incredible opportunity for growth and promotion because of the way DHG goes to market as a firm, not as individual partners. There is a heavy team atmosphere on how the firm attracts and serves clients.

The market for talent is very tight because demand has outweighed supply for many years now. Do whatever it takes to retain top talent and attract new talent so that the leverage model can improve. Some of the firms most successful clients have already learned this lesson which is evident by the long tenure of their best employees. DHG should consider learning from and copying this model since our employees are what makes the firm profitable and successful.

Too soon to tell...

Current Employee - Consultants in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Consultants in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Dixon Hughes Goodman full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Nice office, great location, happy with salary though I do think it was on the lower end of consultant salaries

Cons

Poor communication and onboarding set up; many things have to be guessed at or learned through multiple conversations

Formalize the on-boarding process. Have one of your very talented BPO recruits do a formal review for you to identify problem areas within the process. New recruits come on and have no idea what's going on.

Great experience

I have been working at Dixon Hughes Goodman

Pros

DHG is a great company to work for, if you are willing to put in the required effort.

Cons

Increased stress at various times

Dixon Hughes Goodman Photos