Dixon Hughes Goodman Reviews

Updated August 21, 2014

3.5

Dixon Hughes Goodman CEO Matt Snow
Matt Snow

Pros
  • Management really caters to your work-life balance (in 10 reviews)

• Great pay, very nice people who are willing to help you always (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Busy season is going to be rough but they'll reward you afterwards (in 9 reviews)

• This firm is not the Big 4, or even top 10, but they sure act like it (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

Audit Associate

I have been working at Dixon Hughes Goodman full-time

Pros

good place to work at DHG, and i like there

Cons

smaller than big 4 accounting firms of course

Long hours, poor benefits. Watch your back.

Former Employee - Tax Associate
    Former Employee - Tax Associate

I worked at Dixon Hughes Goodman full-time

Pros

Interesting people, challenging work. the office parties can be fun if everyone participates. Free food and drinks, snacks like chips and pretzels. Our office manager was a wonderful person.

Cons

This is just my personal experience. I worked for this company for right at two years and was overall very satisfied in the beginning. However, management feeds you lies about how if you get promoted the work-life balance will be better. You will breathe, sleep, eat, and drink Dixon Hughes Goodman and you will never have any free time. "But that's public accounting everywhere" they chime. Wrong. The turnover in this firm is outrageous and their benefits for employees are sub par. Yeah, a month of PTO looks great until you can't take any. The firm has a different culture at every single office. Management is disorganized and chaotic, and the office often has the feel that there is absolutely no one in control. Management will gossip about employees consistently. I had a senior manager constantly go into the office of another senior manager and gossip about the employees or gripe about them. I heard them once when I was in a partner's office. That is extremely disrespectful to the people that are working so hard for you. This firm has an up or out mentality, and if they get a whiff that you don't meet their standards, you will be out the door and on your butt in no time. This firm is not the Big 4, or even top 10, but they sure act like it. Training is also horrendous. They are more concerned with the quantity of hours than the quality of hours for CPE. I have since left for another firm and I love where I am.

Stop being so greedy and stop caring only about the bottom line. I actually had someone tell me "well if we can get a good 3-5 years out of most people then that's all we need." Try harder to retain good talent. Senior management, get out of your ivory tower and actually be involved with the day to day running of the company.

Incompetency and dishonesty of senior management team in DC region (not the entire firm)

Former Employee - Manager  in  Tysons Corner, VA
    Former Employee - Manager in Tysons Corner, VA

I worked at Dixon Hughes Goodman full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

There are many good people to work with. Unfortunately these good and competent employees with high productivity are seldom recognized. Great place for those 'chosen' by the senior management, who are generally also incompetent.

Cons

Employees are not evaluated based on perfomance. all decision (ex-promotion) is based on whom the senior management like.

Need to step up for the firm's future by making 'Right' decision to earn the trust by employees

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Changed since the merger

Current Employee - Senior Tax Associate  in  Rockville, MD
    Current Employee - Senior Tax Associate in Rockville, MD

I have been working at Dixon Hughes Goodman full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Okay pay. I worked with some great people including partners (all of whom were there when the firm was just Goodman & Company).

Cons

Ever since the merger with Dixon Hughes the firm became more and more like a Big Four. Our office worked with other regional offices a lot and since both offices were so different there were too many clashes and politics. Busy season used to be manageable but more recently the expectations for you to be there late were higher. Upper management is also very shady and hard to trust (regional and office managing partners as well as human resource managers). The partners in the region can't even communicate with each other.

Overall the more hours you put in the better you'll do. If thats your thing than I'd recommend DHG over a Big Four.

Figure out what kind of firm you're trying to be and communicate more clear with all staff including partners. Don't offer flex schedules or any other work/life balance benefits if it is only going to get looked down on by upper management.

Horrible Company, I would not work for them again, ever.

Former Employee - Hardware Service Technician Intern  in  High Point, NC
    Former Employee - Hardware Service Technician Intern in High Point, NC

I worked at Dixon Hughes Goodman as an intern for less than a year

Pros

- Decent Pay
    - Good parking space (Sorry, had to add five words for pros, I didn't want to though)

Cons

- Rude employees
    - Horrible management
    - Also, I was told that this was an open-end internship, by two people (supervisor and recruiter), but then just today, told that this was seasonal. Ether they are liars, or that don't know how to get the information right which makes me wonder about this so-called "great" company. "People" my butt.

Get your hiring details straight before you hire someone onboard. Do NOT tell someone that they would stay there for a long time and then suddenly turn around and lay them off for no stupid reason! I am infuriated with this company and it's lousy policies.

Confusion

Former Employee - Partner  in  Richmond, VA
    Former Employee - Partner in Richmond, VA

I worked at Dixon Hughes Goodman full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Training for technical skills and knowledge.

Cons

Upper management is obsessed with numerical goals.

Not only needs to get everyone on the same page, but needs to figure out what is on that page to begin with.

Great Company

Current Employee - Marketing Coordinator  in  Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Marketing Coordinator in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at Dixon Hughes Goodman full-time for more than a year

Pros

Generally across the board this company is unlike most accounting firms. Partners care about their employees and their development. It's a corporate company but every office makes their own decision on how they want to move in the marketplace. The Jax office is very relaxed where the partners treat you as an equal. There is opportunity however you'll have to put in your time and show your skills through your work. Work-life balance is really important there. They do many happy hours and try to get the staff out as much as possible given the taxing busy season (pun intended).

Cons

Still has that traditional accounting feel. Busy season is going to be rough but they'll reward you afterwards. Corporate company so there's always someone else you have to ultimately answer to.

Favorites are always going to happen but trying to minimize it as much as possible would create a better culture.

Great people and work environment

Former Employee - Audit Intern  in  Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Audit Intern in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Dixon Hughes Goodman as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Management really caters to your work-life balance. There is a strong feeling of camaraderie. As an intern, it was refreshing and empowering to know that even top senior management was willing to help answer any questions I might have had.

Cons

Internships during the summer,especially in the audit department, are a bit slow; however, thats simply the nature of the business. I would highly suggest an internship during the busy season if your looking for real experience.

Audit Associate

I have been working at Dixon Hughes Goodman full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good pay, great working environment and leaders. Benefits are really good since we became a bigger company, I enjoyr most things about the job.

Cons

The work-life balance is pretty challenging especiall in busy season when you are working 50-60+ hours per week. Also, promotions could be a bit faster and there usually is little praise that goes around.

Give a little more praise.

Summer Intern

Former Employee - Intern  in  Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Intern in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Dixon Hughes Goodman as an intern for less than a year

Pros

* Experience both tax and audit in public accounting internship
    * Fun summer intern events
    * Food, and more food
    * Great pay
    * Network with staff

Cons

* Lack diversity
    * Lack communication/feedback

*Try to increase diversity and make interns feel more welcomed.
    * Provide more feedback on performance

Worked for Dixon Hughes Goodman? Contribute to the Community!