Dixons Retail

Dixons Retail Reviews

Updated Jun 13, 2014

Dixons Retail Group CEO Sebastian James

Sebastian James

Pros:
  • "Some nice people, and young and fun to be with workforce"
    in 4 reviews
  • "10 discount on your machine, and if you don"
    in 3 reviews
Cons:
  • "Head office rather dated but that is being addressed"
    in 3 reviews
  • "Poor managers, low pay, stressful job, no motivation, most of the staff want to leave"
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Challenging but enjoyable

Retail Support Centre (Current Employee)
    Hemel Hempstead, England (UK)

ProsCan be an exciting and challenging place to work with constant change throughout the business to combat the competition. Benefits are fairly good with plenty of opportunity to move into different roles if you have the right aptitude. Leadership team are working hard to make it a better place to work, focussing on results of colleague engagement surveys.

ConsIf working in a store role, you need to be customer focussed first and foremost and able to deal with challenging targets. So if this isn't you, Dixons is not for you. Starting pay is just above minimum wage but as you progress through training, pay gets much better. In the Support Centre, it can be tricky to move between functions and work needs to be done on the available development / training.

challenging and fast moving atmosphere

Sales Colleague (Former Employee)
    London, England (UK)

Prosevery day was different, better than other reatial jobs where its very boring. great team aspect amongst staff.

Consmanagers can be too pushy, you're only as good as you're last sale.

Advice to Senior Managementbe more leniant

Great people

Technical Support Advisers (Current Employee)
    Sheffield, England (UK)

ProsThis is an amazing place to work, full of colleagues you can learn from. Good people, a mixture of long term service and new bodies, therefore there a good mixture of competencies and skills you could take advantage of for your own development. Recognition for achievements. Professionals working together to develop great colleagues.

ConsBetter benefits would make a great deal of difference.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Be as creative as you can

Team Leader (Current Employee)

ProsI have been working for PC World for almost 2 years now, and reading the reviews on here, you are all right, what it comes down to is the individual store and the management team within to how you would consider the job satisfaction.
    But if you just take what the company wants to promote from managers to colleagues then all its about is having the correct behaviours!
    However Dixons Retail has changed a massive amount over the last few years namely because of Sebastian James, the current CEO of Dixons Retail, if you look at the company 10 years ago you can tell it was all about hard selling! Making sure we sold the customers the most expensive products we could! You can see this because when you work in a store half the team have been there for that long!
    And as this was a very pressured environment and I mean very pressured, This has made it hard for people to adapt to the new management style Dixons have adopted.
    For instance, when I was a sales colleague I had two managers one who had been within the company for a long time, and one that hadn’t after sales one would say, What did you get on that sale? The other would say, what was your customers name? This as you can see is behavioural management over hard selling management.
    Now does Dixons want to rid the company of these hard selling managers that encourage colleagues to sell more? No, well that’s my opinion.
    If you are a sales colleague on the computing section, this is what the company wants you to sell with as many sales as you can:
    Computer = What Ever Happens (insurance) MacAfee Live safe and CLOUD, Mobile broadband, set up (recovery media, Personalise (create Email address etc..) Showhow (30 minute tutorial)
    So that’s 7 attachments, costing a minimum of £129 I mean if you’re buying a cheap £300 machine be prepared to spend another third! And £10 a month on insurance so you pay us another third a year! Gees.
    So although the target for these attachments is not 100% it still leaves Dixons in a place where these hard selling managers will thrive, to exceed the targets.
    Another reason you can be sure that Dixons don’t want to ditch old school managers is that there hasn’t been an assistant trainee management scheme in 4 or 5 years! Yes a cash rich company opening expanding and creating stores, a company moving forward with values and beliefs haven’t enrolled a new generation of manegent team at all!
    I mean then they expect not to be in watchdog for miss-selling! Are you kidding! Colleagues are honestly told to tell their customers,
    “We offer a great service called What Ever Happens, it means if anything goes wrong with your computer INCLUDING accidental damage then we will fix it for you if we can’t do that then we will replace it after 7 days.”
    To which the customer will more than likely say no. In which case we will say, “It might be a good idea to take it for the first month, which I can give you for free, to get you through any teething issues with the machine, then I can also give you a £10 discount on your machine, and if you don’t want to keep it I can give you a freephone number to cancel your agreement, and you’ve saved £10 to make a free phone call.
    Hmm... isn’t how the corporate side want us to sell it, however there not doing much to change that, if they were to introduce new generation of managent maybe this wouldn’t happen anymore.
    It’s all about the Customer plan, Head office get us to sell the attachments by saying, you need to get the customer story, ask lifestyle questions to find out how our services will be useful to them, so when you bring this up at the end the customer almost feels stupid saying no to an insurance because they dropped their last one, or because they had a virus and don’t want to buy our half price internet security!
    However there are pros, if you embrace what head office say to you personally then you wont get penalised for it, I’m personally very target driven and was great with sales, but I’m all about the customer, and I will only and always do what is right for the customer, I started the company 2 years ago as a college dropout (long story) from there I have progressed on to be a team leader, im now 18k which is higher than normal for a team leader in Dixons, and I know I will be able to get on the next intake of our assistant manager program.
    This company will walk over you, but only if you let them if you want to progress within this company you will need to have some sort of savvy of when to go the extra mile for the company and work both of you days of for free, and when they start to use you for long hours and this becomes expected and you gain nothing from it. You know what I mean...
    Working here for me has had it’s ups and downs, and you meet a great variety of people and are able to communicate on different levels.
    As long as this company keeps going in the same new directions, and over the next few years does more to break old habits, it really will be, “An exciting place to be”

ConsOld managers make it a bad place to work.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet in a new generating of management, instead of getting new colleagues who do breed the right behaviors to do that job as customer champion

Generally enjoyable experience

Sales Team Leader (Former Employee)
    Cork (Ireland)

Pros- good progression opportunities for those who work hard
    - good team atmosphere in the stores I worked in
    - good infrastructure and support systems in place
    - lots of investment in store facilities
    - staff discount

Cons-pay is on the low side for the industry
    -management is hit or miss in each individual store
    -high pressure environment
    -low commission

Market leading company with a bright future

Assistant Category Manager (Current Employee)
    Hemel Hempstead, England (UK)

Prosstrong leadership, good people, good career opportunities

Constoo many inefficiencies, some programmes and processes are outdated

Advice to Senior ManagementPay more attention to front line staff

Very supportive and friendly staff and enjoyed working with them

Customer Advisor (Former Employee)
    London, England (UK)

ProsThe atmosphere is great, stores are generally large and the staff are outstanding. I have been working with them since 2008 to 2010 and have made a great friendships, its like as if we are a Family.

ConsThe store management do get a lot of pressure from their Area and Regional Managers and that reflects on the staff in the store as well. The managers sets strict daily targets for its staff on the shop floor and they always aim higher that its a bit tricky to achieve. The KPI's are a very stressful factors of working as a Sales Advisor.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt would be better if the staff were given a realistic targets, rather than high predictions and low return. Make sure the KPI's are hit by allowing the Sales Advisors to perform to its best of ability, rather then keep pushing them to sell the product no matter what to the customer.

Head office manager

ProsA business that encourages change and innovation. It has made an enormous amount of change in the last few years and mostly for the better.

ConsThe company has had some challenges financially and as result it has not invested in developing the colleagues and this now needs to be done as it appears to be more financially stable.

Advice to Senior ManagementRemember the colleagues are very important to the success of the business

Good company to work for, trying hard to change public perceptions

Hemel Hempstead, England (UK)

ProsGoing through a major transformation of the whole end to end operation
    Open door policy for accessing senior managers
    Friendly office atmosphere

ConsPoor social scene due to location of the office (industrial estate)
    Head office building is very poor (investing in stores instead which is a positive)

Advice to Senior ManagementCelebrate successes more often

A nice work environment

Sales Advisor (Current Employee)

ProsGood people, recognition of your personal achievements, keep in touch with technology and learn new skills and techniques everyday by meeting new customers

ConsTarget, sometimes targets can be very difficult to achieve and you have to push yourself to achieve those, making every customer happy can be sometimes difficult if you get a tough customer.

Worked for Dixons Retail? Contribute to the Community!

Dixons Retail – Why Work for Us?

WHO WE ARE Dixons Retail plc is Europe's largest specialist electrical retailing and services company. Our aim is to bring the latest technology at the best prices to our customers combined with great advice and… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Dixons Retail reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Dixons Retail CEO Sebastian James. All 58 reviews posted anonymously by Dixons Retail employees.