Dixons Retail

Updated November 17, 2014
2.9

Dixons Retail Group CEO Sebastian James
Sebastian James

Pros
  • 10% discount on most items, and you get the odd benefit from a supplier (in 5 reviews)

• Worked with some really good people (staff), and they did pay on time (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Head office rather dated but that is being addressed (in 4 reviews)

• Needs to recognise the hard work of the workforce (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Company does not care much about its colleagues

Current Employee - Sales Assistant in Chester, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Sales Assistant in Chester, England (UK)

I have been working at Dixons Retail full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Easy enough job if you good at sales. A lot of new technologies - which is interesting to work with. You will make a lot of good friends. People work as a team and many colleagues will help you.

Cons

No support for you from managers - they just expect you to learn to swim quick if not will help you drown quicker. If you suddenly get treated unfairly at your work - best solution is to get out. Company will not provide you with any support, they would let things get worse rather than get involved and help colleagues. Realistic support exists only for managers. In sales often be prepared to sell hard. Company says this is not what they expect of you, while you manager will tell you otherwise.

Read your own companies policies you breaking all of them - favoritism at work, often no support or respect to colleges, promoting those with pushy sales, putting numbers above real customer experience.

Decent colleague and team leaders...... contract hours, bonus, targets all terrible

I worked at Dixons Retail full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Not really to do with the company but I got on really well with all my colleagues.... Sometimes managers can be decent....
    To be honest, the training isn't too bad... the course you are sent away on is quite helpful

Cons

Quite a few cons with it....

- The contract situation is a bit of a joke - I applied for what was stated as a full time job - then was told I would have to start on 20 hour contract (despite doing 40 years every week) and then it would go up to 28 hours at the end of probation, this never happened. It wasn't too much of a problem, until after the peak period was over and it became quiet, and the management started cutting everyones hours...

- It gets pretty tedious, you get the same boring talks every day about selling "Knowhow Care plan" and other attachments, the managers always say the same painfully simple things about it, and seem to have no grasp on what its actually like to sell it.... Having to sell it was bad enough anyway considering no employees agree with it.

- The targets are quite pressured, and quite unrealistic - they expect you to hit 40 per cent on your knowhow care plan sales, and if you don't then, well you don't get hours .... however people that mis sell it and hit targets get REWARDED with hours.... hmmm

- The bonus system is absolutely terrible. First bonus I got less than I was told I would get, I didn't get anything id earned in the first 2 weeks because "you apparently have to be there for the whole period to get it" (i'd never been told that at all). The bonus team also tried to tell me I was a peak temp colleague so I wouldn't get any of it, despite my contract clearly stating I was a full time permanent. They seem to do anything to get out of giving you your bonus, which is the one thing that stops it being an awfully paid job (it still is). Now, I've left and i'm due bonus for my last 6 weeks... shock I didn't receive it, currently trying to chase it up but they haven't replied to me.

- Not Dixons fault but the hours are awful, working 11 - 8 shifts in the week, and working every weekend, means you don't really have a life outside of work if youre full time.

- They try to get away with anything, For example my contract clearly stated that if I worked over 40 hours a week, id get time and a half pay. I was asked to cover an extra shift, so I asked if i'd get time and a half seeing as it would take me up to 47, they just said "no" ALWAYS REFER TO YOUR CONTRACT!

- Also, do not agree at all with their rule of having to approach every customer countless times, it annoys them and drives them away, yet you are MADE to approach EVERYONE. Of course, it was us that got the flack off the customer for bothering them, despite us not wanting to!

Sorry for the long rant

- Get rid of the stupid targets

- Stop being absolute arseholes over the bonus

- Stop trying to mug off customers with the knowhow care plan and hdmi cables just to hit targets

- Don't mug off your staff when they clearly have stuff written down on their contract

- Get rid of the ridiculous "conversion" targets, meaning staff have to continuously approach and bother customers even when they don't want it

Never Again, Poor working conditions and pay

Former Employee - Sales Colleague in Cardiff, Wales (UK)
    Former Employee - Sales Colleague in Cardiff, Wales (UK)

I worked at Dixons Retail full-time (more than an year)

Pros

if you like working for pennies you will love it....

Cons

Very Poor managers, waddle about all day, barking out demands and there next set off targets or quoting company policy. You are basically required to sell a targeted pile off products and inflated prices for minimum wage and there BIG thing useless warrenties/insurance policys, you get a nice big talk EVERY HOUR about how that is going.
    Horrible atmosphere to work in there is always some-sort off crisis every day you just cannot go in and have a normal day. I was looking for a new job in 3 months, just like everyone else, there was so many people who just left one guy at lunchtime he just did not come back. I lasted a year, my previous job I had been at for 5 years.
    , bonus scheme is misleading...and they will think off any excuse not to pay out. I think most people just shop online these days and there maybe living in the past a bit.

it is 2014 by the way

Extremely poor with no integrity!

Former Employee - Knowhow/Sales/B2B in Yeovil, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Knowhow/Sales/B2B in Yeovil, England (UK)

I worked at Dixons Retail full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

If you really push your managers and willing to do training in tour own time, you may get an ok wage.

Cons

To start, the company are certainly not out to give the best experience to the customer, they are there to take as much money and dodge as many complaints as they can. I have worked in all store roles except for management and can tell you it is the same in each role. If you're sales, you only have one goal, sell them everything! If you don't, you will get penalised. If you do, well, you will get nothing.....no incentive to to really put that effort in to each sale. (Of course, the manager can get a nice bonus from it).if you are business orientated, the same applies. If you are knowhow, Tell everyone their machine has to go away for repair (their careplan has a lot of clauses you do not realise!).

Every company is out to make money, but should do it with dignity and integrity. Not lile a sleazy dodgy dealer from the west end.

The management will NOT deal with a tough situation, they will always refer them to knowhow OR good ol customer service! (These guys get paid to take as little responsibility as possible)

Take some responsibility, show more respect for the colleagues who are earning your bonuses and doing the dirty work and do what's right for the customer!
    A dixons quote is 'to never leave the customer to fend for themselves'....it would be nice to see that

Enter at your own risk

I worked at Dixons Retail full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

To be honest, there are none. It is a shadow of the place it once was. Glad to be out before the merger goes through.

Cons

Management structure is awful. No communication and disregard of people. Mass redundancy programme in place, and diminishing enjoyment had in working there

The people still sitting there on fat pay, fat bonus and no accountability will be the Achilles Heel. Having quality staff leave due to incompetent managers will not help you

Poor, Low Pay, Obscene Targets, Constant berating on lack of Whatever Happens Careplan sales.

Current Employee - Sales Advisor in Canterbury, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Sales Advisor in Canterbury, England (UK)

I have been working at Dixons Retail part-time (less than an year)

Pros

The company does have for the most part a solid business idea, with training you can improve your positions in store too.

Cons

If you have any sort of morals then you will clash with the management in every store you work in. You are heavily targeted on your careplan sales which in short are pretty obscene in cost. The management have no empathy for their staff concerns or needs. Breaks seem to be a luxury and you have to be prepared to leave lunch half eaten and probably not finish it either.

Pay the staff more, don't bully them, don't push them into selling Careplans or services to customers who clearly don't need them and in turn you won't have your current predicament of mis selling cases and having to dedicate a call center just to deal with complaints. "First month free" was in no means meant to be offered at our company training, yet in store management completely ignores this and forces staff to sell in this way still.

Don't even think about it...

Current Employee - Sales Colleague in Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)
    Current Employee - Sales Colleague in Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)

I have been working at Dixons Retail full-time (more than an year)

Pros

10% discount for employees - very customer focused - good atmosphere (depending on store)

Cons

Very low salary with a lot of pressure. Poor training for such high technology. Make you feel like you don't care as employee.

Forget a bit of KPIs and focus on quality of employees. Don't forget companies are made up of people.

Poor culture

I worked at Dixons Retail

Pros

It is place to get some experience and leave.

Cons

Very low salary for he job you do.

They need to change hole system in the organisation.

Want a flourishing career in retail? Look elsewhere

Former Employee - Assistant Category Manager
    Former Employee - Assistant Category Manager

I worked at Dixons Retail full-time

Pros

Great supplier base with exciting technologies in some categories
    Nice people in pockets

Cons

Low pay
    Unclear pathway for progression
    Unprofessional buying practices
    Low morale
    No social element - rarely a staff party
    Drab working environment and uninspiring location
    Very bureaucratic

Change your location, reward talent not sycophancy and look to great employers in your sector like John lewis and sainsburys as an example - otherwise you will continue to struggle to attract or keep the type of intelligent people who will keep your organisation afloat.

Booged down in short termism and beuracratic processes, leading to constant firefighting.

Former Employee - Category Manager in Hemel Hempstead, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Category Manager in Hemel Hempstead, England (UK)

I worked at Dixons Retail full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Some nice people, and young and fun to be with workforce. Dixons can serve as a springboard to work at on the manufacturing side, which pays a lot more.

Cons

Slave wages - the staff turnover is incredible. Nobody seems very happy at all both in their role and with the culture of the company as a whole. Absolutely miles behind the competition in terms of planning and strategising in middle management. For too much heirarchy, Senior management have no idea on the amount of time it takes to get the most simple things done due to excessive beurocracy.

Fancy top level cosmetic changes are not the answer to all of your prayers. Look at systems and processes to make progress happen.