Dixons Retail

Updated December 8, 2014
2.9

Dixons Retail Group CEO Sebastian James
Sebastian James

Pros
  • 10% discount on most items, and you get the odd benefit from a supplier (in 6 reviews)

• Worked with some really good people (staff), and they did pay on time (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Head office rather dated but that is being addressed (in 4 reviews)

• Poor managers, low pay, stressful job, no motivation, most of the staff want to leave (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Retail/Business Advisor

Current Employee - Business Advisor in Reading, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Business Advisor in Reading, England (UK)

I have been working at Dixons Retail full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good company,You get a lot of grooming plus offers from other industry.

Cons

You need to work in shifts

Cool attitude of management and i am recommending it

An experience!

Former Employee - Apple Expert in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)
    Former Employee - Apple Expert in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)

I worked at Dixons Retail full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

You will work with some great people and have enjoyable days at work.

Cons

Every good day has a bad day, some stores have prehistoric managers with similar management styles.

Treat staff better and they will respect you and in turn sell the things you push them to.

Overall a good company to work for.

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Sheffield, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Sheffield, England (UK)

I worked at Dixons Retail full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Wages and benefits good/excellent once you get to mid level.
    Plenty of learning opportunities.

Cons

Low level employees undervalued and uniformly strictly monitored.
    Politics and poor numbers behind many decisions throughout.
    Archaic IT infrastructure, some the backbone is still AS400.

Check numbers at every level, failings are being covered up and without good numbers you can't make the best decisions.

Great place to work!

Current Employee - Sales Colleague
    Current Employee - Sales Colleague

I have been working at Dixons Retail full-time (less than an year)

Pros

- Very friendly working environment
    - Great pay
    - Company values expertise and provides training to achieve that
    - Never a same day
    - Very efficient and user friendly system
    - Absolutly fantastic store layouts and attention to detail is great so stores never look sloppy
    - Care plans are great value for money setting the trend away from shady insurance

Note

- Sales driven, but isn't all jobs?

Cons

- Minor customer dodging by certain employees to avoid bad figures
    - Managers tend to avoid difficult/ uhdesireable jobs and refer you to other managers
    - Selling and pleasing customers isn't enough unless you can get the extras

You are doing a great job! Great company, definetly doesn't deserve the flak the company gets about customer service

Sales are important, a good sale even without care plans is still good. Taking a look at firms such as John Lewis really point out the way forwards.

You get out, what you put in.

Current Employee - Store Manager
    Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at Dixons Retail full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I am lucky, I work for a visionary regional manager who knows how to truly lead
    Challenging where needed, and always there for support without micro managing. I can truly say through his leadership I have grown as a store manager incredibly over the last three years. Every day is different, and with a great team around you it can be an incredible job

Cons

decreasing unit numbers make career growth harder without relocation

Continue the current vain of colleague training and role model some of the true leaders we have in our business across the estate and enjoy the rewards

Challenging but enjoyable

Current Employee - Retail Support Centre in Hemel Hempstead, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Retail Support Centre in Hemel Hempstead, England (UK)

I have been working at Dixons Retail full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Can be an exciting and challenging place to work with constant change throughout the business to combat the competition. Benefits are fairly good with plenty of opportunity to move into different roles if you have the right aptitude. Leadership team are working hard to make it a better place to work, focussing on results of colleague engagement surveys.

Cons

If working in a store role, you need to be customer focussed first and foremost and able to deal with challenging targets. So if this isn't you, Dixons is not for you. Starting pay is just above minimum wage but as you progress through training, pay gets much better. In the Support Centre, it can be tricky to move between functions and work needs to be done on the available development / training.

challenging and fast moving atmosphere

Former Employee - Sales Colleague in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Sales Colleague in London, England (UK)

I worked at Dixons Retail part-time (more than an year)

Pros

every day was different, better than other reatial jobs where its very boring. great team aspect amongst staff.

Cons

managers can be too pushy, you're only as good as you're last sale.

be more leniant

Great people

Current Employee - Technical Support Advisers in Sheffield, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Technical Support Advisers in Sheffield, England (UK)

I have been working at Dixons Retail full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

This is an amazing place to work, full of colleagues you can learn from. Good people, a mixture of long term service and new bodies, therefore there a good mixture of competencies and skills you could take advantage of for your own development. Recognition for achievements. Professionals working together to develop great colleagues.

Cons

Better benefits would make a great deal of difference.

Be as creative as you can

Current Employee - Team Leader
    Current Employee - Team Leader

I have been working at Dixons Retail full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I have been working for PC World for almost 2 years now, and reading the reviews on here, you are all right, what it comes down to is the individual store and the management team within to how you would consider the job satisfaction.
    But if you just take what the company wants to promote from managers to colleagues then all its about is having the correct behaviours!
    However Dixons Retail has changed a massive amount over the last few years namely because of Sebastian James, the current CEO of Dixons Retail, if you look at the company 10 years ago you can tell it was all about hard selling! Making sure we sold the customers the most expensive products we could! You can see this because when you work in a store half the team have been there for that long!
    And as this was a very pressured environment and I mean very pressured, This has made it hard for people to adapt to the new management style Dixons have adopted.
    For instance, when I was a sales colleague I had two managers one who had been within the company for a long time, and one that hadn’t after sales one would say, What did you get on that sale? The other would say, what was your customers name? This as you can see is behavioural management over hard selling management.
    Now does Dixons want to rid the company of these hard selling managers that encourage colleagues to sell more? No, well that’s my opinion.
    If you are a sales colleague on the computing section, this is what the company wants you to sell with as many sales as you can:
    Computer = What Ever Happens (insurance) MacAfee Live safe and CLOUD, Mobile broadband, set up (recovery media, Personalise (create Email address etc..) Showhow (30 minute tutorial)
    So that’s 7 attachments, costing a minimum of £129 I mean if you’re buying a cheap £300 machine be prepared to spend another third! And £10 a month on insurance so you pay us another third a year! Gees.
    So although the target for these attachments is not 100% it still leaves Dixons in a place where these hard selling managers will thrive, to exceed the targets.
    Another reason you can be sure that Dixons don’t want to ditch old school managers is that there hasn’t been an assistant trainee management scheme in 4 or 5 years! Yes a cash rich company opening expanding and creating stores, a company moving forward with values and beliefs haven’t enrolled a new generation of manegent team at all!
    I mean then they expect not to be in watchdog for miss-selling! Are you kidding! Colleagues are honestly told to tell their customers,
    “We offer a great service called What Ever Happens, it means if anything goes wrong with your computer INCLUDING accidental damage then we will fix it for you if we can’t do that then we will replace it after 7 days.”
    To which the customer will more than likely say no. In which case we will say, “It might be a good idea to take it for the first month, which I can give you for free, to get you through any teething issues with the machine, then I can also give you a £10 discount on your machine, and if you don’t want to keep it I can give you a freephone number to cancel your agreement, and you’ve saved £10 to make a free phone call.
    Hmm... isn’t how the corporate side want us to sell it, however there not doing much to change that, if they were to introduce new generation of managent maybe this wouldn’t happen anymore.
    It’s all about the Customer plan, Head office get us to sell the attachments by saying, you need to get the customer story, ask lifestyle questions to find out how our services will be useful to them, so when you bring this up at the end the customer almost feels stupid saying no to an insurance because they dropped their last one, or because they had a virus and don’t want to buy our half price internet security!
    However there are pros, if you embrace what head office say to you personally then you wont get penalised for it, I’m personally very target driven and was great with sales, but I’m all about the customer, and I will only and always do what is right for the customer, I started the company 2 years ago as a college dropout (long story) from there I have progressed on to be a team leader, im now 18k which is higher than normal for a team leader in Dixons, and I know I will be able to get on the next intake of our assistant manager program.
    This company will walk over you, but only if you let them if you want to progress within this company you will need to have some sort of savvy of when to go the extra mile for the company and work both of you days of for free, and when they start to use you for long hours and this becomes expected and you gain nothing from it. You know what I mean...
    Working here for me has had it’s ups and downs, and you meet a great variety of people and are able to communicate on different levels.
    As long as this company keeps going in the same new directions, and over the next few years does more to break old habits, it really will be, “An exciting place to be”

Cons

Old managers make it a bad place to work.

Get in a new generating of management, instead of getting new colleagues who do breed the right behaviors to do that job as customer champion

Generally enjoyable experience

Former Employee - Sales Team Leader in Cork (Ireland)
    Former Employee - Sales Team Leader in Cork (Ireland)

I worked at Dixons Retail full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- good progression opportunities for those who work hard
    - good team atmosphere in the stores I worked in
    - good infrastructure and support systems in place
    - lots of investment in store facilities
    - staff discount

Cons

-pay is on the low side for the industry
    -management is hit or miss in each individual store
    -high pressure environment
    -low commission