Doctors Express Reviews

CEO

1. Medical Assistant

Former Intern - Medical Assistant in Portland, OR
    Former Intern - Medical Assistant in Portland, OR

I worked at Doctors Express as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Always something new everyday with working in an Urgent care setting.

Cons

Not hiring at the time my externship was over.

Advice to Management

Respond to applicants who are trying to go back to school so they can work for your company.

2. Uneven balance of care

I worked at Doctors Express full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great learning experience for new staff, taught all aspects of front office and medical assistant.

Cons

Long shifts, sometimes 3-4 days in a row. Can be hectic when short staffed. Pay could be better especially with work involved. Promises made but never kept about salary increases and promotions. Sometimes patient care is placed on backburner, more worried about bottom dollar!

Advice to Management

Please listen to your employees' suggestions, ideas and stop micromanaging so much.

3. Poor management

I have been working at Doctors Express full-time

Pros

A Lot of hands on experience. Great for someone that is just graduating from a program and looking to get some quick experience. Get to deal with a wide variety of patients and emergencies.

Cons

Not guaranteed to get a break within a 12 hour period. Doctors do not get breaks and can work 5 or more 12hr days back to back leading to poor patient management. Extremely high turnover rate, which leads to over-working the staff that stay. Clicks within the offices allow certain workers to get away with poor work ethic. There is no chain of command, which leads to less problem solving and more employees quitting. Almost none of the employees stay more than 7 months. No set schedule. You can come in one day and your schedule looks a certain way and come in another day and it has changed, without even notifying you of the change. You just come into wherever the schedule is posted and find out that way. When ideas are presented to management to possibly help improve work environment it is just laughed at and shot down. Over all it is a lot of work for a very little bit of pay.

Advice to Management

Start having meetings at least once a month instead of not having one at all. Hire prn people so that if someone calls in the people that did come into work are not over worked. Give better training instead of waiting until right before inspection comes to fix things. Consider closing doors for offices a few minutes early so that workers can get off a reasonable times. Give incentives for good work ethic and working 13 and sometimes longer shifts without breaks. Overall just start thinking about the staff a little more rather than your pockets, because without the right staff with the right work ethic your pockets are really going to pay for it.

5. Don't work for them!!!!!

Former Employee - ARRT Radiologic Tech in Jacksonville, FL
    Former Employee - ARRT Radiologic Tech in Jacksonville, FL

I worked at Doctors Express

Pros

co-workers are all team players

Cons

The doctors are hard to work for. They want you to work out side of what you go to school for. I'm a RT and the doctors wanted me to work as a MA and Nurse and don't give you time to learn nothing.

Advice to Management

Train your staff better

6. No Job security

Current Employee - Medical Assistant in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Medical Assistant in Portland, OR

I have been working at Doctors Express full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Fast -paced and interesting patient interactions.

Cons

I have several years of experience of being a medical assistant, however I got fired after 3 weeks. I was expected to float between 3 clinics and learn what each physician wanted for their work flow. The lead MA would always put me on front desk so I was never able to learn what the doctors wanted. I had 3 official days of training, then went to a regular full time schedule. The owner of the company is a passive aggressive micromanager and the head clinic manager is unsupportive. One of the clinic manager, who has only been there for 1 months, did not agree with the decision and has put in her 2 week notice. She did not think they treated me fairly and understand that even though I have a great resume there is always a learning curve when you start a new job.

Advice to Management

Better training procedures, give positive feedback/critique before letting an employee go. If they don't know what was wrong then it can be fixed and prove that you are of value to the company. Stop hiring inexperienced externs for an acute care setting.

Only job that I ever left dissatisfied!

Former Employee - Office Administrator in Beaumont, TX
    Former Employee - Office Administrator in Beaumont, TX

I worked at Doctors Express full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

This company has changed management so I know now it is much better.

Cons

It was a beautiful facility.

Advice to Management

Only let investors with medical backgrounds manage your facilities.

8. Love working here

Current Employee - Medical Assistant in Saugus, MA
    Current Employee - Medical Assistant in Saugus, MA

I have been working at Doctors Express part-time

Pros

Learn many many new things, fast pace urgent care, friendly staff and doctors.

Cons

no full time or benefits

Advice to Management

should give raises instead of hiring new employees.

9. Great Company and Business Model, Poor Executive Management (Ownership)

Former Employee - Marketing Assistant in Jacksonville, FL
    Former Employee - Marketing Assistant in Jacksonville, FL

I worked at Doctors Express part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Composed of a very supportive staff, accommodating of employees. Also staff is aware of the needs and desires of customers, service oriented faculty.

Cons

Owners are removed from the necessities of the staff and business and have driven away many employees including Medical Directors and Managers. They too emphasis on social status, though well meaning it is perhaps misguided. Nepotism was running rampant and the family's failures were taken out on the staff.

Advice to Management

Remove yourself from the daily goings on of management or integrate yourself further with the staff and company.

Drs. Express Nightmare, Hamilton Township, NJ

Former Employee - Radiography Tech/Front Desk Reception in Hamilton Square, NJ
    Former Employee - Radiography Tech/Front Desk Reception in Hamilton Square, NJ

I worked at Doctors Express part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Fellow employees were very nice and helpful

Cons

Owner was horrible. Verbally abusive. Follows everyone around telling them what they do wrong all day, keeps place 64 degrees (employees wear multiple layers of clothing), no breaks, work 13 hr days, lucky if you get 10 minutes for lunch. Understaffed and under paid.

Advice to Management

Hire more employees, train more than 30 hrs before leaving employee to work alone to figure things out, management training, anger management/sensitivity training.

11. Great place to work

I have been working at Doctors Express

Pros

Doctors Express has a very nice office and equipment is top notch. Since it is a franchise it may depend on the owner, but overall good place to work.

Cons

Health insurance is unaffordable with extremely high deductibles. Basic individual plan costs over $400 a month with $3,000 deductible per person

RSS Feed </> Embed