DocuSign

Updated January 15, 2015
3.8

DocuSign Chairman & CEO Keith Krach
Keith Krach

Pros
  • Fast paced organization with high rate of growth year over year make this an exciting organization to work for (in 6 reviews)

• Great product, great strategic vision, internal relationships are fairly good (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • The work-life balance is a challenge - but as we grow it seems less taxing (in 5 reviews)

• When it came time to pay or to admit mistakes, it became time to present a new comp plan, or shown the door (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Good Company Culture

Current Employee - Director of Product Management
    Current Employee - Director of Product Management

I have been working at DocuSign full-time (less than a year)

Pros

great people to work with, innovative product, fast pace

Cons

growing pains, scaling very quickly, split teams between offices

more support staff in product and engineering

Fast Paced

I have been working at DocuSign

Pros

First company I have worked for where customers rave about your product. Awesome folks to work with in all areas of the business.

Cons

Things are moving very quickly. Very fast paced environment which can be good or bad. Seattle and San fran offices seem very disconnected.

Great company, Even Greater Opportunity

Current Employee - Senior Level Marketing in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Level Marketing in Seattle, WA

I have been working at DocuSign

Pros

- Huge market opportunity - Product literally appears to every business and every consumer is a potential user
    - Strong leadership vision built around he customer
    - Feel like we are making a difference, changing how business gets done
    - Lots of growth and career opportunities

Cons

- Growing pains
    - Moving so fast people don't always know/see that someone else is already working on it

Help teams prioritize and focus on what's most important

Was 4 stars, now 3. No middle ground if in sales.

I worked at DocuSign full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Very sales focused. Great product. Some very talented and smart people.

Cons

Mostly renewal reps and some vertical reps make their
    Number. Both for inside sales and field. Everyone else is feast or famine. Crazy how much is spent on marketing (not really a con though)
    Some long timers in sales mgmt don't really get it since they haven't really worked in other companies for perspective. Politics and back stabbing is getting more frequent. Be prepared. A sign its now a big company:
    Seems even the admins have admins now!
    Some new mgmt is very brown nosey but I guess that's the stage the company is in.

Fast moving startup building the killer app-IF you can make it here, you'll have a great experience.

Current Employee - Sales AE in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Sales AE in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at DocuSign full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great product, great strategic vision, internal relationships are fairly good.

Cons

Challenging priduct to sell. Cuatomers don't know how to buy electronic sigbature, so you'll need to quickly figure out how to guide them. Quotas are aggressive and lots of people with success selling other software don't do well here.

Keep the strategic vision and communication channels as are-both are confidence inspiring and do wonders for employees motivation. Lead gen could be better across all dimensions of corp sales team...

Great Internship Experience

Former Employee - Corporate Sales Intern in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Corporate Sales Intern in Seattle, WA

I worked at DocuSign part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Company culture was amazing, very cool young people that I could relate to as a college student.

Fantastic mentoring by management, interpersonal relationships with higher ups that I probably wouldn't have had access to at other large companies.

Incredible office looking over Bainbridge Island and the Puget Sound

Growing company, very exciting to be a part of.

Cons

Pay for interns is fairly low

Internship was entirely based around Sales which is not what I'm necessarily interested in

Very flexible, best internship possible.

Current Intern - Anonymous Intern
    Current Intern - Anonymous Intern

I have been working at DocuSign as an intern (more than a year)

Pros

Have had the chance to work directly with high level company players. Leadership is very driven to grow the company and achieve the highest marketshare.

Cons

Opportunity to network I work remotely. Most activity is on the west coast but managers will take every effort to get you connected.

Keep up the good work! Also, make internal hiring more accessible to interns.

Great people - mixed leadership competencies - promising future

Current Employee - Sales in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Sales in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at DocuSign full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The people at DocuSign are amazingly smart, collaborative and fun. The product is great and will be a standard app in the not too distant future. Innovation is also very good here.

Cons

CEO is inspiring and a hard worker. Most of his direct reports are solid and smart. Sales leadership is immature and lacks sophistication - all the way up to the CRO. Needs an upgrade to keep the company moving forward in the right direction.

Beef up sales process and management skills. Bring in new talent. Promote from within. Inspire people to succeed vs. driving people to burn out. Think long-term and not short term. This is a great IPO potential.

Changing the way business is done

Current Employee - Account Executive in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Seattle, WA

I have been working at DocuSign full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Blue Ocean - nothing but opportunity for growth

Cons

a lot of companies are slow to adopt - still viewed as a "nice to have" technology even though it's inevitably a business critical solution.

Develop people vs. drive people to produce

Great technology, awful sales org

Current Employee - Sales in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Sales in Seattle, WA

I have been working at DocuSign full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The product is amazing and the people, sans management, are great.

Cons

I can only speak for the sales department but within that group, the company failed miserably. In less than a year on the job, I had 3 management changes, 2 changes in vertical and 4 changes to my geo. Top that off with an INCREASE in quota and you have an extremely disgruntled worker. While the rest of the company seems to coast by with a good product and competent management (albeit grossly underpaid), the sales department is as dysfunctional as they come.

Don't take my word on it - do a bit of digging yourself and it's plain to see that there are the old guards (4+ years there) and then there's the new (>2 years). Reason? The "senior" sales guys have literally plucked all the business into their funnels and have sat themselves in verticals that pay extremely well. Health care, finance, insurance - all of those reps kill it. Leads pour in, marketing dollars get spent, the entire staff there is jubilant. The rest? Well, if you've started in the last 2 years, the likelihood is that you'll get shoved into a geo and fail miserably.

But let's ignore the fact that you're set up to fail as a geo rep. Let's couple that with a micro management strategy to top all micro management strategies. It's seems as though every sales manager in the company has been trained to treat their team the same exact way: dissect and grill each and every deal you don't close. I had 2 managers there - one which was socially a terrible fit and the other who initially started off as a very nice guy. Even the nice guy manager was molded into the slacks-wearing, button down frat boy that is seen only on Wall St, minus the 6-figure salary. Had enough? Not so fast. I'd be remiss if I didn't mention that regardless of moving to a hourly compensation model, you are still "required" to be in before 7 and out no earlier than 4.

It's honestly extremely difficult to get beyond the first year at this place, at least in sales. You get paid a measly base salary, won't make any commissions worth noting until year 2 (at the earliest) and by that time, you're so burnt out at the lack of work/life balance that your personal life will suffer. While there are some great people that work there, the majority of people I know have either moved departments (if you can imagine taking a salary cut), or left before their year is done. Not that it means anything but they like to keep you there with the notion of this big payout WHEN the company goes public. We all know that this is no guarantee and in full disclosure, they've been "planning" this massive IPO for 2+ years now. The idea that people are agonizing at their job over the slim likelihood that their stock options will make them millionaires is sad and quite frankly false hope. Think very long and hard before taking a sales job here.

Listen to your employees. Pay them better. Try some new management tactics and quit micromanaging.