Doe Fund

Updated February 28, 2015
4.2

George McDonald

A Place for Growth

I have been working at Doe Fund full-time (less than a year)

Pros

There are many opportunities for professional growth, and many people move up within a short period of time. Staff here become like a family, and help each other to learn.

Cons

If you are not committed to the mission, you will not stay here long. Many people who are not social services-oriented will struggle with dealing with the homeless population. This population requires giving your best self, while they sharpen their basic skills.

Keep your dreams big, but move at the right speed.

Fantastic

I have been working at Doe Fund

Pros

Flexible, understanding, room for personal growth and promotions

Cons

Can be challenging at times if you are not the individual that like those sort of things.

Fantastic organization that truly changes lives

Current Employee - Director Level in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Director Level in New York, NY

I have been working at Doe Fund full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

When you work for The Doe Fund you are helping people turn their lives around. People who work here are dedicated to to helping clients become as independent as possible, and will often go above and beyond to do so. I work in administration, and the atmosphere is relaxed and friendly. People help each other and there is no backstabbing. You are treated as a professional and not required to punch a clock as long as you get your work done. It is easy to work here and achieve a work-life balance.

Cons

There really aren't any. It is a nonprofit so you will make less here than you would in a comparable position in the for-profit world. However, the salaries are competitive within the nonprofit world.

Higher salaries would be nice, but I understand that there are budget constraints. The organization might benefit from having a strategic plan, not necessarily a very detailed one, but something more concrete than a desire to "do good" and pursue opportunities as they come up. Overall, however, the organization is well run.

Working in the Doe fund has been the most rewarding experience in my life.

I have been working at Doe Fund full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The transparency of the organization along with care and concern that they have for their clients and staff

Cons

Not being able to help everyone that comes to our door

Staff are not paid as much as other organizations for the same positions

Great Company To Work For!

Current Employee - Route Coordinator in Brooklyn, NY
    Current Employee - Route Coordinator in Brooklyn, NY

I have been working at Doe Fund full-time (less than a year)

Pros

One thing I love about working for The Doe Fund is the family oriented environment. There is always someone I can reach out to for advise or assistance without feeling reluctant to ask for help. I strive daily to align myself with The Doe Fund's mission to to break the cycles of homelessness, addiction, and criminal recidivism.

Cons

I only wish I knew about this organization sooner.

Increase advertising to spread the word of The Doe Fund's mission as well as the resources available to the homeless and previously incarcerated population.

The Doe Fund helps me develop self management skills.

Current Employee - Lab Techcian in Brooklyn, NY
    Current Employee - Lab Techcian in Brooklyn, NY

I have been working at Doe Fund

Pros

Helping others and witness the progress of one's life through change.

Cons

I don't see any negative about the Doe Fund organization. This program provides people an opportunity to change their lives for the better.

Great Role Models

Unified through passion.

Current Employee - Case Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Case Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Doe Fund

Pros

After my first two weeks with TDF, we had a staff meeting to discuss the clients. After listening to my co-workers discuss the men they work with, I realized something. Every person who works for this organization is connected; everyone here has one similarity that wakes us up and brings us here every morning. That connection is our care and dedication to people who come here for help because all of us, we are the people who help. This is a professional organization, yes, but it is one built on warm concern for a part of humanity that doesn't get much attention. Being part of TDF is being a part of a network of caretakers. That's an exceptional honor, I'd say.

Cons

Rather than calling this a con, it is more of a "challenge" to work with clients in a professional setting who do not understand professional etiquette. However, it is all a work in progress. The staff is very supportive when help is needed.

My experience working at The Doe Fund was great. I had the opportunity to receive several promotions.

I worked at Doe Fund

Pros

The best reason to work at The Doe.Fund is for the.experience. If you work there you can work anywhere

Cons

Sometimes individuals in charge don't believe in you enough to provide the opportunity to move up in the company

Make an effort to speak with your team frequently, send everyone to various trainings and point areas that needs improvements

A great organization!

I have been working at Doe Fund full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Offers an opportunity to assist men to turn their lives around.
    Men can reunite with their families and regain their dignity and independence
    Clients are given all the support necessary to return to the community with the tools need to get through their lives.
    There is a balance maintained between remaining focused on the task of assisting those who need us and acknowledging our work

Cons

There really are none for me. I love doing this work and though the money is on the lower side, the other factors of knowing that you have done good work is very satisfying.

Management has a difficult task to keep focused on the clients which is why we do this work, and rewarding and acknowledging the staff's hard work. However, in my opinion, they try at every turn to show how grateful they are to all of us.

Committed to Helping Others

I have been working at Doe Fund full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I appreciate the efforts of the staff to support the men who are rebuilding their lives. The staff are committed to helping homeless and formerly incarcerated men become productive citizens again.

Cons

Salaries are on the low side however the benefits help compensate for the lower salaries. More diversity in management levels.

If I were in charge of the Doe Fund, I continue to promote from within.