Dogtopia

Updated September 12, 2014
Updated September 12, 2014
2.9

CEO

A lot of work with little pay!!

I worked at Dogtopia

Pros

Of course you get to be in a room full of dogs:)

Cons

Too much work..... A lot of cleaning (mostly mopping) and you might have to break up dog fights- had to do it many times and got bite around 10 times only a couple were bad.

Better pay for all we have to do, more than one person in the room and train everyone to do everything!!

Glorified Janitor

Former Employee - Playroom Atttendant
    Former Employee - Playroom Atttendant

I worked at Dogtopia part-time (less than an year)

Pros

The dogs are the greatest part of the dog. But they are also the only great part of the job.

Cons

You are basically a glorified janitor
    The pay sucks for what you do
    The hours
    You are not allowed to sit down during a long shift.

Give your employees a chance at full-time. Stop cutting corners to avoid paying your employees more. Give eight hour shifts with more than a fifteen minute break. Give some full-time positions. Give a better pay raise.

Worst job I have ever had!!!

I worked at Dogtopia

Pros

I got into the job because I love dogs :) But the only pro is that you get to work with dogs...

Cons

They pay you nothing for the nasty cleaning you have to do! Cleaning up poop for 8 hour and getting 7.50 for for it? No thanks.. Management lied to me about pay raises and the opportunities I would have! You had to work long shift and Were not allowed to rest for a second and there was NO break. They would schedule you until 2 but you wouldn't get off until 3 because they gave me an endless chore list. There were aggressive dogs in there that had BITTEN me and they put this one especially aggressive dog with me everyday after that incident even though I told them I was uncomfertable with it! The owner had her dogs in the playrooms everyday and he dogs were the biggest problems there!!! Do not work here it is hands down the worst job I have ever had. My dogs will never be going there either because I know how it really is behind those doors.

The owner of the dogtopia I was at was extremely stupid and knew nothing! At least try to act like you care about your employees and their safety. Also it'd be nice to see management work a playroom at least once for more than 5 minutes because the owner had no idea what it was like in there because she never once worked one. Dogs who are aggressive and are constantly having issues EVERYDAY cannot be there because no one wants their dog to be in the same room as the 90 pound aggressive dog! Don't like to employees about hopes of raises.

Great first job, but gets old fast.

Former Employee - Supervisor in Temecula, CA
    Former Employee - Supervisor in Temecula, CA

I worked at Dogtopia full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great for animal lovers, hours are fine, not much personal growth, they do give raises but don't expect any living wages unless you're a student and don't care. nice pit stop though and looks great on a resume if you are planning on a future career with dogs.

Cons

Not a job to get comfortable in, basic entry level dead end job,

Try offering competitive wages and real raises, consider promoting from within, offer above cost of living wages for your store managers who do all the dirty work for you.

Not a great experience. Management lures you into the job with lies. Way too much work for one person to do alone.

Former Employee - Playroom Attendant
    Former Employee - Playroom Attendant

I worked at Dogtopia part-time (less than an year)

Pros

If you love dogs and your career path has to do with dogs, this is the job for you.

Cons

To much work is expected to be done. Management lied to me about what the job consisted of.

Be honest with incoming employees if you want to have a great team.

Fun place to work

Current Employee - Playroom Attendant in Dulles, VA
    Current Employee - Playroom Attendant in Dulles, VA

I have been working at Dogtopia full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Really fun work environment. Decent pay. Enjoyable work. Great customers.

Cons

Hours are too rigid. No part time possibility - either 6AM-2PM or 2PM-10PM

Work in part-time management.

Good Company. Lots of potential.

I have been working at Dogtopia

Pros

Great fit if you like dogs

Cons

Not a good fit if you don't like dogs

Best Job I have ever had

Former Employee - Playroom Attendant in Rockville, MD
    Former Employee - Playroom Attendant in Rockville, MD

I worked at Dogtopia part-time (more than an year)

Pros

The senior management teaches you more than any other place I have ever worked. We got to go to classes about management and learn way more than other places I worked at higher mgmt. You get to work around dogs all day too.

Cons

Benefits offered are just so-so but I guess that is because they still are a smaller company then other places I worked. If I got better benefits I might have been able to stay but I needed retirement savings and things like that.

I feel like I learned things that I will take on to other jobs. They were respectful even when I put in notice and I have had other places who were immediately crappy once I did so I feel they are professional. Most people who were not happy just seemed to not know what the work place is like out there which is why I saw some come back.

Be ready to be treated like a dog.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rockville, MD
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rockville, MD

I worked at Dogtopia

Pros

You get to work with dogs all day. If you love dogs, this is great.

Cons

Upper management is a bunch of liars and bullies. They (usually) pretend to be nice to your face, but then once your back is turned, or once you confront them, they show their true colors.

Grow a soul of some sort. Then it would also be good if you grew a heart.

Quit thinking employees are stupid.

If the management was different, I would have loved my job.

Former Employee - Kennel Assistant in Munster, IN
    Former Employee - Kennel Assistant in Munster, IN

I worked at Dogtopia

Pros

I love dogs and working with them was my dream job. I loved being in a semi-relaxed job, doing something I loved.

Cons

The management was terrible. I loved my fellow co-workers but the owners had no business owning a company the dealt with dogs.

Install some safety features to better protect the employees and the other dogs. There is no effective way (as of now) to stop a dog fight one broke out.