Dolan Media

Be The First To
Add Photos

Dolan Media Chairman, President, and CEO Jim Dolan

Jim Dolan

Been great but lots of turnover

Executive (Current Employee) Phoenix, AZ

ProsFun place to work, great co-workers.

ConsToo much change at the corporate level

Advice to Senior ManagementSome stability and keep things simple

This company was a great place to work, the management was very supportive and ethical.

Software Developer (Former Employee) Minneapolis, MN

ProsGreat team with which to work, my contributions were always appreciated. Regular pay raises and the CEO was a pleasure to work for, promoting a progressive, forward-thinking company. Offered 401K, good health benefits, vacation - didn't get bent out of shape when emergencies meant you had to take time off. When Hurricane Katrina struck our New Orleans operation, the CEO made sure all of the employees were safe, relocated them to other units of the company, and paid them throughout the interim - then put them back to work! Same thing happened during Hurricane Sandy and the Moore, OK, tornado. He really cares about his people, says they are like family.

ConsVery much a work-oriented environment, not much time to play around! Advancement wasn't very apparent, small company.

A nightmare of dysfunction

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsSubstantive issues covered, deal with mostly intelligent sources, some fine co-workers and product still retains fairly positive reputation in local legal community.

ConsUpper level management spend days worrying about their bonuses and kissing up to their superiors. Still clinging to rigid, outmoded ideas about news business. Stunning amount of turnover in editorial staff every year because management does not respect or value employees. Pay well below what you need to live in the Eastern Mass. area and for the skills you need in order to do the work.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Extremely reactive company

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe company changes often and that can create room for growth

ConsSince the company is always adjusting to client needs lower employees can sometimes not know what is going one. The constant adjustment does impact home life since deadlines are usually very short.
    Ongoing financial issue can pose a problem

Advice to Senior ManagementOpen communication with the base level employees need to be improved to keep moral up.

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

Not looking so great

Business Information (Current Employee) Minneapolis, MN

ProsBenefits are good, but very expensive. Managers are flexible with time-off. Some of the people working there are great to work with/for.

ConsExecutives and senior management don't seem to have a clue what's actually going on with the business at any point in time. It takes 10x longer than it should to get anything done because you have to get approval from senior management but they're not sure what's going on so you have to educate them first. Lack of bonuses or any appreciation for an employees hard work, and the stock I got one time as a "bonus" is now worth zero since Dolan drove the company into the ground. Amount of vacation time isn't enough and the cost of benefits is high.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of everyone at the top and rebuild. This used to be a decent company.

Focused on journalism, facing economic challenges

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe company, more than most, is focused on producing excellent journalism. There's a company writing coach and an understanding that a vital product is essential to keeping readers. Corporate office largely allows for local autonomy in making editorial decisions.

Cons(This may sound familiar) Economic constraints has meant cutting back on staff but expanding editorial duties, which makes the journalism suffer.

Advice to Senior ManagementCompany should really look at what their priorities are in line with current resources.

Not looking good.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsSome smart people, some good opportunities. Overall, lots of potential, but no clear mandate to reach it.

ConsPoor strategic vision and poor decisions led to serious operational and financial challenges. Making the decision that gets you in trouble is forgivable, at times, but sticking with it in the face evidence demanding change is not.

Advice to Senior ManagementChanging of the guard?

Business Information

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsHad the opportunity to work very hard to achieve goals.

ConsNot strong support in getting things done and projects completed.

Liked the people I worked with but no raises or bonuses for 5 years

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Addison, TX

ProsThe people I worked with and the location were the reason I stayed with the company so long. Work/Life balance was good. Hardly any overtime.

ConsNo raises or bonuses for 5 years even though I got a good review. No room for advancement.

Advice to Senior ManagementRaises and/or bonuses should be given at least annually at the review period. To have a good review but not get a raise decreases morale. I asked about this at the time that The Dolan Company purchased the operations part of the BDFTE law firm and was told that they would be given annually upon a good review.

Lousy Company

Imaging Specialist (Former Employee) Addison, TX

ProsIt's a paycheck and helps cover the bills. 401K is a plus. Weekends off, but not most holidays.
    They did offer some free medical stuff, ie. flu shots, and discount tickets to area parks. Holiday lunches.

ConsTerrible HR people. Managers don't back their employees. Back stabbing enough to need a full time medical staff.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your employees and act on their concerns!!!

Worked for Dolan Media? Contribute to the Community!