Dolan Media

Dolan Media Chairman, President, and CEO Jim Dolan

Jim Dolan

Extremely reactive company

I worked at Dolan Media

ProsThe company changes often and that can create room for growth

ConsSince the company is always adjusting to client needs lower employees can sometimes not know what is going one. The constant adjustment does impact home life since deadlines are usually very short.
Ongoing financial issue can pose a problem

Advice to Senior ManagementOpen communication with the base level employees need to be improved to keep moral up.

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

Not looking so great

Business Information (Current Employee)
Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Dolan Media full-time for more than 10 years

ProsBenefits are good, but very expensive. Managers are flexible with time-off. Some of the people working there are great to work with/for.

ConsExecutives and senior management don't seem to have a clue what's actually going on with the business at any point in time. It takes 10x longer than it should to get anything done because you have to get approval from senior management but they're not sure what's going on so you have to educate them first. Lack of bonuses or any appreciation for an employees hard work, and the stock I got one time as a "bonus" is now worth zero since Dolan drove the company into the ground. Amount of vacation time isn't enough and the cost of benefits is high.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of everyone at the top and rebuild. This used to be a decent company.

Focused on journalism, facing economic challenges

I worked at Dolan Media full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThe company, more than most, is focused on producing excellent journalism. There's a company writing coach and an understanding that a vital product is essential to keeping readers. Corporate office largely allows for local autonomy in making editorial decisions.

Cons(This may sound familiar) Economic constraints has meant cutting back on staff but expanding editorial duties, which makes the journalism suffer.

Advice to Senior ManagementCompany should really look at what their priorities are in line with current resources.

Not looking good.

I worked at Dolan Media full-time for more than 5 years

ProsSome smart people, some good opportunities. Overall, lots of potential, but no clear mandate to reach it.

ConsPoor strategic vision and poor decisions led to serious operational and financial challenges. Making the decision that gets you in trouble is forgivable, at times, but sticking with it in the face evidence demanding change is not.

Advice to Senior ManagementChanging of the guard?

Business Information

I worked at Dolan Media

ProsHad the opportunity to work very hard to achieve goals.

ConsNot strong support in getting things done and projects completed.

Liked the people I worked with but no raises or bonuses for 5 years

Addison, TX

I worked at Dolan Media full-time for more than 8 years

ProsThe people I worked with and the location were the reason I stayed with the company so long. Work/Life balance was good. Hardly any overtime.

ConsNo raises or bonuses for 5 years even though I got a good review. No room for advancement.

Advice to Senior ManagementRaises and/or bonuses should be given at least annually at the review period. To have a good review but not get a raise decreases morale. I asked about this at the time that The Dolan Company purchased the operations part of the BDFTE law firm and was told that they would be given annually upon a good review.

Lousy Company

Imaging Specialist (Former Employee)
Addison, TX

I worked at Dolan Media full-time for more than 10 years

ProsIt's a paycheck and helps cover the bills. 401K is a plus. Weekends off, but not most holidays.
They did offer some free medical stuff, ie. flu shots, and discount tickets to area parks. Holiday lunches.

ConsTerrible HR people. Managers don't back their employees. Back stabbing enough to need a full time medical staff.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your employees and act on their concerns!!!

Gained experience; lost faith in executive management

Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Dolan Media full-time for more than 5 years

ProsCoworkers (outside of executive staff)

ConsLow pay (low starting salaries; annual cost of living increase only, if at all; and laughable bonuses, if at all); no room for advancement (unsupportive of higher education goals - no tuition reimbursement, no work schedule flexibility); terrible HR (uncompassionate, micromanaging employees without understanding their job duties/responsibilities); bad management (bad managers who simply follow higher directions are retained while good managers who try to compromise the needs of their employees with higher directions are let go; hardworking employees are burdened with more work for little or no other recognition; incompetent employees are excused and coddled); poor communication (conflicting messages are sent out; work requests made at the last minute due to poor preparation; impersonal messages are sent to all employees when a person leaves voluntarily or is fired, but usually no notice is given to anyone). All of this has led to bad employee morale which has become more and more horrendous over time, and a revolving door of employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to the actual employees, and not the "yes, Jim" staff with whom you have surrounded yourself.

HR is supposed to care about the employee and how to help him/her do his/her job to the best of his/her ability; instead HR is micromanaging employees without knowing what they do to begin with, and scrutinizing small issues while overlooking larger ones.

If executive staff makes the environment hostile and restricting, employee morale declines. Getting rid of the employees with bad attitudes or poor morale won't fix the problem - those are just your canaries in the mines.

Ok company. Good to work for a couple years but not more.

I worked at Dolan Media

ProsGreat group of people to work with

ConsSalaries are lower then market standards

Hire Talented Managers, Not Inexpensive Cast-Offs

Sles Representative (Former Employee)
Colorado Springs, CO

ProsGood Benefits
Please phsycial work environment
Most co-workers honorable, pleasant
Targeted publications continue to be respected in the marketplace

ConsInferior management in Colorado Springs office unresponsive to market place realities and incapable of building cooperative teams. True in both sales and editorial departments.

Advice to Senior ManagementPrint is dying fast. Invest in digital technology and smart phone applications. Challenge employees to embrace new media, not endlessly document how they've spent their working hours.

Worked for Dolan Media? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Dolan Media reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Dolan Media CEO Jim Dolan. All 16 reviews posted anonymously by Dolan Media employees.