Dolby

Be The First To
Add Photos

Dolby President and CEO Kevin J. Yeaman

Kevin J. Yeaman

Pros:
  • "9/80 work schedule (notice that this listed as a "Pro" in 90% of the reviews"
    in 29 reviews
  • "9/80 work schedule, with every other Friday off"
    in 14 reviews
Cons:
  • "Really bad management; no work life balance, too many consultants and marketing is the worst on the planet"
    in 6 reviews
  • "Politics, history of consensus-driven decision-making, majority of shares still closely held"
    in 9 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Engineer role

Project Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Dolby full-time for more than 10 years

ProsGood technology, benefits are great.0, 9/80 work week is excellent

ConsAdministrative CEO and senior management has no vision - poor manager of people. Most of the engineering departments are under-resourced, stressed and hardly get to take advantage of the every other Friday off (or even weekends at times).

Advice to Senior ManagementTake care of talented and start recognizing stellar employees.

Every team has a rebuilding year/stage...

Marketing Manager (Current Employee)
San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Dolby full-time for more than a year

ProsMotivated middle-management, 9/80 work schedule, SMART people, many loyal employees that have been at Dolby for 5+ years

ConsThe Marketing re-org that happened in early Spring 2013 is still a mess. We're under-resourced, stressed and hardly get to take advantage of the every other Friday off (or even weekends at times). Maybe we're just in a "rebuilding year" as is common when a historically engineering company shifts real focus into marketing, but it remains to be seen. High-level engineering seems to be happy though I wouldn't recommend Dolby for marketing positions at this time. There's still a lot transition that's going on and maybe the exec level management, VPs and Director levels need to have a clearer understanding of the pressure on those at lower levels to execute on marketing objectives with LITTLE internal resources and direction. Dolby is still in the midst of proving value in E-Media (mobile/OTT/streaming industries) and it's apparent that not everyone agrees on the direction and industry approach. (Another commonly stated problem on glassdoor which I agree - EVERYTHING is consensus decision making. It's not uncommon for large public companies to have a lot of cooks in the kitchen to make sure we're supporting business objectives that have been communicated to shareholders but too many global cross-functional representatives have to have final feedback in the smallest of tactical executions, which is not feasible for the mobile industry pace.)

Advice to Senior ManagementMake it a priority to introduce new internal hires and even contractors in marketing to help with the team atmosphere and morale. Get more in sync with your lower-level contributors to evaluate firing/hiring decisions and resource evaluations with context vs. what seems like is currently being done in a silo.)

Sadly diminishing formerly stellar brand, clueless management

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Dolby full-time for more than 3 years

ProsAmazingly smart, nice people with only a few standout exceptions, product development, some excellent products, good benefits, old-school, pre-public employees and culture were amazing, and some of that still lingers.

ConsMost of the highest managers do not know anything about the businesses Dolby serves and focus on stock prices and tax-collecting licensing fees. Goals, and, hence roles, are ever-changing (as often as daily.) Management and staff lacking industry experience and knowledge. Quarterly-results focus at expense of running a successful business

Advice to Senior ManagementSet attainable, concrete goals. Care about the customer, not Wall Street. Hire talent that understands the markets served. Respond to clients as Ray would have done.

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Non-engineer role

I have been working at Dolby full-time

ProsGood technology, benefits are great.0, 9/80 work week is awesome.

ConsNot much room for advancement in my career field

No sense of design and no leadership in marketing.

Senior Director (Former Employee)

I worked at Dolby full-time for more than 5 years

ProsEvery other Friday off, great benefits, excellent bonus structure.
Excellent Legal, Sales, and Engineering teams.

ConsCreative and Marketing are a joke.
dolby.com.
No CMO = nobody managing inexperienced VPs.
Tradeshows = marketing.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire a real CMO who can easily identify the weak links. Listen to the actual experts at the rank-and-file level. Stop listening to consultants and VPs (who likely don't deserve to be in those roles, but played politics and embellished their resumes instead).
My ratings are focused on Marketing (not Sales, Legal, or Engineering)

Wonderful engineers/co-workers, but upper management is throwing darts w/ minimal strategy.

Quality Assurance Engineer (Former Employee)
San Francisco, CA

I worked at Dolby full-time for less than a year

Pros* The engineers that work there are wonderful, smart, talented, passionate, and driven.
* Get every other Friday off.
* Better paying than most companies (but at what cost?)
* Very encouraging of a healthy working environment (debatably).

Cons* The engineers are under-appreciated/not well known or well utilized by upper management.
* There are 2-5 managers for every engineer, rather than the other way around.
* Upper management continues to pinch pennies by stretching engineering resources as thinly as possible.

Advice to Senior Management* Less managers, more engineers...!!!
* Cut/merge as many projects as needed, but then re-resource the remainders with the surplus of engineers to better ensure that products released are as high quality as possible, as their current quality is giving the company and everyone in it a bad name/reputation.
* Provide better advertising for the products that are intended for mass consumption--ie: Dolby Atmos. The few consumers out there who have actually heard of Atmos don't know what it does, much less know anything about how it might improve upon prior Dolby surround technology. Providing 3 short bullet points about its features in most ads would remedy this. People see through the magic trick these days--they crave better technology to make it magic again.

This company has lost its way

Research Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Dolby full-time for more than 8 years

Pros980 Friday's
Engineers treated very well -we're very much a family - honored to work with so many talented people

ConsAdministrative CEO - no vision - poor manager of people
Marketing just baffles me. Why can't you fix the dysfunction?

Advice to Senior ManagementSenior Management has no vision.
Engineers work hard but given little direction.
Ray Dolby would be very disappointed - quite sad what they have done to his company.
CFO makes discriminatory comments about minorities (yes, people can hear you behind closed doors and they tell others).
Nice job on new building!

Do something smart: Fire the CEO!

Vice President (Former Employee)

I worked at Dolby full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGood benefits
Great 9/80 schedule
Many talented colleagues

ConsMediocre executive team
No vision
See Dolby as a cash cow (which is probably what the Dolby family wants)
Poor track records regarding acquisitions
Patent portfolio expiring soon
Expensive and completely inefficient move to SAP

Advice to Senior ManagementEverything starts from the CEO. This one is weak, has no vision and no charisma. The quarterly employee meetings are pathetic. Many employees no longer want to attend these meetings: It's total waste of time.
There is no vision. There are a lot of plans and ideas. It's the "menu du jour" with new directions every quarter, then nothing…

This CEO should go and be replaced with someone who understands the new economy and how consumer electronics is shifting toward the internet of things. The current CEO is still trying to understand how Windows works. it's that bad!

good working enviroment

Imaging Intern (Current Employee)
Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Dolby full-time for less than a year

Prosone day off every two week

Conscompany is small, people have to multitask.

Advice to Senior Managementtake care of talented.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Very sad

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Dolby full-time for more than 10 years

ProsEvery other Friday off and benefits

ConsThis reflects only my experience in the Sales and Marketing organization - poor middle/upper management and poor choices in consultants and outside agencies.

Advice to Senior ManagementMaybe do an Undercover Boss to get a good look at what the company is up to at the ground level and start recognizing stellar employees.

Worked for Dolby? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Dolby reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Dolby CEO Kevin J. Yeaman. All 123 reviews posted anonymously by Dolby employees.