Dolby

Updated December 4, 2014
3.3

Dolby President and CEO Kevin J. Yeaman
Kevin J. Yeaman

Pros
  • 9/80 schedule if you are in one of the old offices (San Francisco) (in 36 reviews)

• In general, I think many people enjoy good work-life balance here and the off-Fridays are a great benefit (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • Really bad management; no work life balance, too many consultants and marketing is the worst on the planet (in 6 reviews)

• Another commonly stated problem on glassdoor which I agree - EVERYTHING is consensus decision making (in 10 reviews)

More Highlights

Good place to work

Current Employee - Sr. Management in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Sr. Management in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Dolby full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

- "Start up" without being a true Start up - meaning you get to help build the future of Dolby but in an established company.
    - work w/ brilliant, passionate people
    - HQ in San Francisco
    - you work hard but still have pretty decent work/life balance (9/80 schedule, good vacation, rarely do people call u on weekends or nights)
    - unlike other technology companies, I truly believe I can & will be able to make a career here. We're not facebook or twitter... (thank god!) & we're not trying to be
    - great compensation (other than a couple tough years, bonuses have paid out really high)

Cons

- slow to change because still very consensus based decision making
    - old fashioned in a lot of ways - need to embrace more modern working environment, will help drive diversity particularly for working moms
    - lots of new technology in the works but tbd if it will be successful
    - not the most "fun" culture

- exec team is in a bubble. Mean well & ask for feedback but then don't listen to it or truly act on it. Big disconnect w/ employees unfortunately
    - consensus decision making will never change if it doesn't happen at senior levels & they are the worst offenders
    - hold people accountable, including yourselves. Exec team should not be getting bonus in years where targets/timelines missed. & not just product misses. 1275 is a prime example - we're at least 12-18 months past when initially estimated to move in. Has anyone been held truly accountable for that miss?
    - focus on diversity with things that will really make a difference

Dolby's Ongoig Struggle With Marketing

Former Employee - Marketing Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Marketing Manager in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Dolby

Pros

- Great Technology
    - Great Position in Cinema and Broadcast
    - Great Technical Employee Base

Cons

- Weak Management
    - Semi-Retired Sales Leadership (lacking leadership acumen)
    - No Appreciation of the Power and Importance of Marketing

Open Your Eyes and Make Decisions

Great place to learn and grow - interesting work and excellent colleagues

Current Employee - Senior Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Dolby full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I've been at Dolby for almost seven years. While here, I've had tremendous growth opportunities: I've learned a ton from a variety of challenging projects across all areas of my field, and I've been able to advance my career. I really appreciate:
    - Working on a daily basis with highly intelligent, analytical, interesting people both within and outside my function. Respecting and learning from the people around me is super important to me. The interesting thing about Dolby is that many of these people tend to be humble as well.
    - The availability of challenging, worthwhile "problems" to solve - you can really make an impact here; the level of complexity can be frustrating at times, but for the most part guarantees you won't be bored or complacent
    - The leadership team's commitment to high quality and high integrity - we make high quality products, we take pride in solving difficult problems, and while I may not agree with every leadership decision I have never questioned whether leaders would "do the right thing"
    - In general, I think many people enjoy good work-life balance here and the off-Fridays are a great benefit

Cons

Many of our challenges are not unique to Dolby and include:
    Being a truly "global" company in which our non-US HQ regions are set up for success
    A leadership style and culture that is more "traditional" and "hierarchical" than many tech companies, although I see some evidence this is changing
    The difficulty of making real progress when multiple departments, systems, processes, and stakeholders are involved - change can be slow here at times with a lot of up-front buy-in required

Continue to hold people to high standards, high quality, high integrity - that's a big part of what attracts great people to Dolby and keeps them working here
    Don't be afraid of more transparent communication
    Encourage more risk-taking and "failing fast"
    Keep holding leaders accountable for empowering their people to make decisions
    It would be great to see top executives engaging with employees in a more informal way

My view, my career and why I think Dolby is an amazing place to work.

I have been working at Dolby full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Dolby is a fantastic organization to grow your career. When I stop to think about why, I think about the content of my work first. Dolby affords me with challenging problems that in return give me life long skills and experiences. The work that I own can be tough, it may stretch some, but its in those moments that I have grown professionally. For me, those are opportunities that I welcome and are fulfilling. I then think about the people around me. I've been in a variety of environments from start up to tech giant and will admit that I feel fortunate to have seen the other side of the fence. I can with sincerity say that I work with some really amazing and crazy smart people. I come in to work everyday and inspired by their enthusiasm and relentless drive to push Dolby's limits. I do not fear challenging conventional thinking at Dolby. As a company rooted in research and development, the opportunities to have a voice is liberating. The last piece of my appreciation is Dolby allows me to do my most important job and that is to be a parent. It's one of the few places in my entire career that understands the challenges of being a parent and allows me to care for the people that mean the most to me. I have to admit the 9/80 schedule is super cool. It's the one day that I can, without guilt, enjoy a day to disconnect and reconnect with things that matter the most.

Cons

I personally do no have any. Do I think Dolby is perfect? Of course I don't and know that as a whole, we have a lot of work to do. The best part is that I get to do so with some wildly talented people.

Embrace what makes Dolby unique and celebrate the small wins. There are a lot of people at Dolby who feel the same as I do and excited about the future of Dolby!

Nice building and benefits

I have been working at Dolby

Pros

Everyone is nice and location is great for the city

Cons

Very dry work, long projects with no real interesting things

Incentivize better

CMO’s view of Dolby

Current Employee - CMO & Senior Vice President in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - CMO & Senior Vice President in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Dolby full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Given all of the comments about the marketing organization and the leadership team, I guess it is time to bring my perspective to this dialog. I love the passion I hear and truly believe everyone is entitled to their opinion and to report on their experience. I simply and transparently want to lend my voice to the mix.

By way of background and context, I have been in my role at Dolby since the beginning of 2014 after two decades working for Nike, Nokia, Apple and most recently as an early stage VC. So what drew me to Dolby?

- Amazing technology and products in development
    - Passionate people who believe in the company’s purpose and mission
    - Exceptional brand and history of innovation
    - A love of music and entertainment
    - The opportunity to help set the course for the next 50 years of this iconic company

In the last nine months I have seen all of these attributes in action and believe as strongly in them as I did the day I joined. I have also observed a company and a marketing organization in transition. What few realize is the company over the last few years has quietly transformed itself from an enterprise reliant on the sale of DVD players to one that is a vital part of today's entertainment ecosystem and has brought whole new platforms such as Dolby Atmos, Dolby Voice and Dolby Vision to market. I give the management team huge credit navigating this change – I certainly had nothing to do with it!

On the marketing front, the transformation has been equally significant as a fragmented organization is beginning to be knit together into a more coordinated team. We are in the middle of this process and have a ways to go. Needless to say this is the most important work I do.

To anyone (current employee, past employee, interviewee) with questions, complaints or comments about the marketing org or the leadership team at Dolby I encourage you to reach out. Those who know me know that my door is always open and I can handle feedback. Please take me up on it!

Cons

Progress and change never happen as quickly as we want. Nor are they perfectly predictable. This work requires patience and in addition to patience, it takes a strong will, the ability to get into the mix, and to collaborate and occasionally even compromise.

We as a team need to keep listening and communicating. Together all 1600 of us can realize the potential of this amazing company.

Great company, strange product development process

Current Employee - Director in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Director in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Dolby full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great benefits—every other Friday off is an amazing plus. People are friendly, HR is great and there are numerous training opportunities. There are some great products in the pipeline, and there's a lot of optimism that Dolby can "break through" to the next phase of revenue growth.

Cons

Many projects are mis-managed and that makes it difficult to move forward quickly on initiatives. Very engineering focused, and with a lot of politics and roadblocks, particularly between marketing and the business group.

Inspiring company with great people to work with

Former Employee - Staff Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Staff Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Dolby as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Friendly people, good management, oppertunities to move about within the company

Cons

None found within short time

Fun, engaging, going places

Current Employee - Marketing Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Marketing Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Dolby full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great people.
    Non-political work environment.
    High-tech & entertainment.
    Exceptional brand.
    New Marketing Org brings strong leadership - great CMO.
    Genuine, inspiring and fun Marketing team.
    Recent changes in how the team is working has really improved communications.

Cons

This is hard work!
    Lots of change - not always in the direction you want.
    Need more people to share the load.

Keep recruiting great people to the team
    Keep true to your direction - we're going places together as a team

Good company

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Dolby full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The company has a good benefits package to offer. 9/80 schedule is a plus.

Cons

Some managers need people skills training.