Dolby Reviews

Updated August 13, 2014

2.7

Dolby President and CEO Kevin J. Yeaman
Kevin J. Yeaman

Pros
  • 9/80 work schedule, with every other Friday off (in 22 reviews)

• 9/80 work schedule (notice that this listed as a "Pro" in 90% of the reviews (in 32 reviews)

Cons
  • Really bad management; no work life balance, too many consultants and marketing is the worst on the planet (in 6 reviews)

• Politics, history of consensus-driven decision-making, majority of shares still closely held (in 9 reviews)

More Highlights

I work with brilliant people!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Dolby full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Good work life balance. The company/groups are small enough where the work you do REALLY matters. I get to make an impact on the projects I work on and have access to projects that might outside of my job scope. I'm encouraged to push the boundaries.

Currently we are working in 3 buildings in San Francisco ... makes face time hard with some groups (looking forward to the move at the end of 2014 to our new building).

The marketing department was a mess for a very long time, but it really appears they are making HUGE strides in the right direction with the recent hire of the new CMO Bob Borchers. I'm experiencing a more friendly and effective group than I had in the first 4 years of working here.

Dolby is also making a very conscious effort to get us involved in the local community with volunteer opportunities.

Competitive benefits. The 9/80 schedule is the best!

Cons

Slow to make decisions. Tends to be an introverted company (expected when working with engineers and scientist??)

Engineering-driven company

Former Employee - Marketing Manager  in  San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Marketing Manager in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Dolby full-time for more than a year

Pros

Fun if you like tech
    Hands-on experience with lots of responsibility since there are many business lines that require each function

Cons

Marketing and sales dept is a bit disorganized
    Favoritism among management of employees can prevail when employee doesn't earn it

outstanding technology base

I have been working at Dolby

Pros

With the exception of every other Friday off benefits offered are typical for a mid cap company.

Leadership takes a long-term growth approach in many of the company's endeavors.

Cons

Workplace can be a bit stuffy at times.

Not really geared for the socially inclined tech crowd.

Wealth concentrated within top share holders. Distribution of profit sharing and equity awards can be hit and miss.

Proclaimed entrepreneurs within but by the very definition of entrepreneur one would expect more movement within or outside the company in search of greater opportunity. Often once a suitable position is acquired said entrepreneur/middle manager/director digs in for the long haul, making it a tricky proposition to self-promote.

Low-key Marketing strategy questionable.

Could make better use of the brand. A little more mainstream advertising activity on the part of Sales & Marketing educating the benefits of using the technology may go a long way in gaining greater technology/brand recognition.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Disorganized Department

I worked at Dolby full-time

Pros

Like the 9/80 schedule . Some people are nice and friendly. Compensation was good compare to other companies.

Cons

too political I might say! If you are not the favorite person within that department good luck to you. Department that I used to worked is sooo disorganized ,management don't know what they are doing.

think very carefully before making a drastic decision not everything is possible !

Fun at times but bad execs, constantly changing priorities and politics are ruining this industry-icon

I worked at Dolby full-time

Pros

9/80 schedule, brilliant co-workers, culture of excellence, and annual IdeaQuest design contest are really outstanding.

Cons

Politics, shifting priorities and constant re-orgs make it a risky place for career and skill development.
    Influx of bad execs eroding the culture.
    Poor stock compensation for engineers.
    Bad place to develop new skills as the company is pretty old-school.

Stop hiring executives who nearly ruined other companies. Address the issues with Marketing Also kick some stock or options over to the engineers.

Great engineers, terrible management.

I worked at Dolby full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

None really, patents running out, new projects that have no compelling attributes or future, and a management that is promoting cutthroat behaviors across the board.

Cons

Ray Dolby would be terribly unhappy with what has become of his legacy.

I would begin with a top down overhaul of the company, looking at the misaligned goals generated by upper management with respect to the area of expertise of the company and the engineers. Already, a good amount of talent has left or has been forced to leave due to this decision making as well as the hostile environment particularly created by the middle to lower management.

Marketing organization

Current Employee - Marketing Manager  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Marketing Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Dolby full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good salary and basic benefits. (Every other Friday off is a joke!)

Cons

Worst marketing organization in the industry, leaders have no clue and they will fire anyone who gets in the way and in the process will be made responsible for their own ridiculous actions. Very self centered and only looking out for themselves, promotion can only be attained if one says yes to every stupid suggestion ever brought to the table. 90% of the time people spend their time in conference calls doing nothing more than playing on their phone. Very little respect to partners and industry related groups or the community in general, most VPs are very arrogant and after looking at their background it shows 0 knowledge about the products and how it can be marketed. Dolby is NOT APPLE or Coca Cola but like these companies think globally not just San Francisco. ( 0 international culture and respect)

Get rid of VPs of marketing and rebuild a group that actually know the products and understand why they are important to consumers and professionals; hire more people that know the industry inside and out and are proud of the products. Right now most VPs are more interested in their expensive jeans than actually making a difference. One more comment: Look into the actual employees and you'll figure out that most don't show up to the office; working from home is unacceptable when putting large marketing campaigns together, rows of empty cubes is a sign that no one is actually working.

Challenging projects, but not always for the right reasons.

Current Employee - Engineer  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Dolby full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Scientists and engineers are wicked smart. Old-school business values - little burn-out, slow but steady growth, investment in people. Salary, benefits, vacation schedule better than average. Every other Friday off. Generally very few egos, at least in the rank-and-file.

Cons

Executives are young and somewhat unproven at high level - rock stars that have enjoyed meteoric rises. Significant churn in some departments (e.g., Marketing), often lacking clear direction. Since IPO, company wants to be like IBM from the 80s - tons of VPs, faceless bureaucracy, one-way information flow, lack of transparency, increasing numbers of layoffs, horrible processes.

Be more visible, transparent. Talk about failures as well as success. Show people your real vision and passion. I can only follow what I can see.

Great people and technology, poor management

I have been working at Dolby for more than 5 years

Pros

Working on interesting technologies and flexible work hours

Cons

Executives has no vision in driving the company forward and consensus based decisions, or there lack of decisions…

Words are empty without action.

Dolby is going places,

Current Employee - Senior Manager  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Dolby full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great non political work enviroment,
    Strong work life balance, (9/80)
    Amazing technologies about to come to market,
    One foot in hi tech the other in the entertainment industry,
    Dolbys new San Francisco HQ is going to be amazing.

Cons

Slow to change, though that is evolving,
    A formerly weak Marketing org, but new leadership is changing that.

Keeping fixing what is broken.

Worked for Dolby? Contribute to the Community!