Dolby

Updated December 4, 2014
3.3

Dolby President and CEO Kevin J. Yeaman
Kevin J. Yeaman

Pros
  • 9/80 schedule if you are in one of the old offices (San Francisco) (in 36 reviews)

• In general, I think many people enjoy good work-life balance here and the off-Fridays are a great benefit (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • Really bad management; no work life balance, too many consultants and marketing is the worst on the planet (in 6 reviews)

• Another commonly stated problem on glassdoor which I agree - EVERYTHING is consensus decision making (in 10 reviews)

More Highlights

A special place

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Dolby full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The company is true R&D company, researching how we process light and sound and then applying that to entertainment and communication products. If you are an expert in audio and video, this is the secret pinnacle of employment. The company has successfully transitioned past its internet disruption period and is working on exciting new stuff.

The people are extremely smart - awe inspiringly so, but also thoughtful and highly considerate of each other. It is small enough that you can know just about everyone who works here.

Work/life mix is excellent for those who manage their time well. The every other Friday off perk is a life changer.

Cons

Dolby does things with a thoroughness that doesn't suit everyone. The company is playing a long game and the people who do best here are really invested in solving really gnarly problems with products that take years to fully realize. Those looking for shortcuts or quick wins might find themselves frustrated. However, that same thoroughness is what makes Dolby great (and highly profitable) and it is only a 'con' if you personally need a faster cycle time of gratification.

Keep playing the long game and continue to aggressively invest in our new products.

Fun at times but bad execs, constantly changing priorities and politics are ruining this industry-icon

I worked at Dolby full-time

Pros

9/80 schedule, brilliant co-workers, culture of excellence, and annual IdeaQuest design contest are really outstanding.

Cons

Politics, shifting priorities and constant re-orgs make it a risky place for career and skill development.
    Influx of bad execs eroding the culture.
    Poor stock compensation for engineers.
    Bad place to develop new skills as the company is pretty old-school.

Stop hiring executives who nearly ruined other companies. Address the issues with Marketing Also kick some stock or options over to the engineers.

Disorganized Department

I worked at Dolby full-time

Pros

Like the 9/80 schedule . Some people are nice and friendly. Compensation was good compare to other companies.

Cons

too political I might say! If you are not the favorite person within that department good luck to you. Department that I used to worked is sooo disorganized ,management don't know what they are doing.

think very carefully before making a drastic decision not everything is possible !

Great engineers, terrible management.

I worked at Dolby full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

None really, patents running out, new projects that have no compelling attributes or future, and a management that is promoting cutthroat behaviors across the board.

Cons

Ray Dolby would be terribly unhappy with what has become of his legacy.

I would begin with a top down overhaul of the company, looking at the misaligned goals generated by upper management with respect to the area of expertise of the company and the engineers. Already, a good amount of talent has left or has been forced to leave due to this decision making as well as the hostile environment particularly created by the middle to lower management.

I work with brilliant people!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Dolby full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good work life balance. The company/groups are small enough where the work you do REALLY matters. I get to make an impact on the projects I work on and have access to projects that might outside of my job scope. I'm encouraged to push the boundaries.

Currently we are working in 3 buildings in San Francisco ... makes face time hard with some groups (looking forward to the move at the end of 2014 to our new building).

The marketing department was a mess for a very long time, but it really appears they are making HUGE strides in the right direction with the recent hire of the new CMO Bob Borchers. I'm experiencing a more friendly and effective group than I had in the first 4 years of working here.

Dolby is also making a very conscious effort to get us involved in the local community with volunteer opportunities.

Competitive benefits. The 9/80 schedule is the best!

Cons

Slow to make decisions. Tends to be an introverted company (expected when working with engineers and scientist??)

outstanding technology base

I have been working at Dolby

Pros

With the exception of every other Friday off benefits offered are typical for a mid cap company.

Leadership takes a long-term growth approach in many of the company's endeavors.

Cons

Workplace can be a bit stuffy at times.

Not really geared for the socially inclined tech crowd.

Wealth concentrated within top share holders. Distribution of profit sharing and equity awards can be hit and miss.

Proclaimed entrepreneurs within but by the very definition of entrepreneur one would expect more movement within or outside the company in search of greater opportunity. Often once a suitable position is acquired said entrepreneur/middle manager/director digs in for the long haul, making it a tricky proposition to self-promote.

Low-key Marketing strategy questionable.

Could make better use of the brand. A little more mainstream advertising activity on the part of Sales & Marketing educating the benefits of using the technology may go a long way in gaining greater technology/brand recognition.

Engineering-driven company

Former Employee - Marketing Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Marketing Manager in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Dolby full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Fun if you like tech
    Hands-on experience with lots of responsibility since there are many business lines that require each function

Cons

Marketing and sales dept is a bit disorganized
    Favoritism among management of employees can prevail when employee doesn't earn it

Challenging projects, but not always for the right reasons.

Current Employee - Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Dolby full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Scientists and engineers are wicked smart. Old-school business values - little burn-out, slow but steady growth, investment in people. Salary, benefits, vacation schedule better than average. Every other Friday off. Generally very few egos, at least in the rank-and-file.

Cons

Executives are young and somewhat unproven at high level - rock stars that have enjoyed meteoric rises. Significant churn in some departments (e.g., Marketing), often lacking clear direction. Since IPO, company wants to be like IBM from the 80s - tons of VPs, faceless bureaucracy, one-way information flow, lack of transparency, increasing numbers of layoffs, horrible processes.

Be more visible, transparent. Talk about failures as well as success. Show people your real vision and passion. I can only follow what I can see.

Dolby is going places,

Current Employee - Senior Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Dolby full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great non political work enviroment,
    Strong work life balance, (9/80)
    Amazing technologies about to come to market,
    One foot in hi tech the other in the entertainment industry,
    Dolbys new San Francisco HQ is going to be amazing.

Cons

Slow to change, though that is evolving,
    A formerly weak Marketing org, but new leadership is changing that.

Keeping fixing what is broken.

Great people and technology, poor management

I have been working at Dolby (more than 5 years)

Pros

Working on interesting technologies and flexible work hours

Cons

Executives has no vision in driving the company forward and consensus based decisions, or there lack of decisions…

Words are empty without action.