Dolby

Updated December 4, 2014
3.3

Dolby President and CEO Kevin J. Yeaman
Kevin J. Yeaman

Pros
  • 9/80 schedule if you are in one of the old offices (San Francisco) (in 36 reviews)

• In general, I think many people enjoy good work-life balance here and the off-Fridays are a great benefit (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • Really bad management; no work life balance, too many consultants and marketing is the worst on the planet (in 6 reviews)

• Another commonly stated problem on glassdoor which I agree - EVERYTHING is consensus decision making (in 10 reviews)

More Highlights

Good people, Old processes.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Dolby as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

loved the people I worked with
    cool work environment

Cons

lost great contractors because they couldn't find the headcount
    reeeeaaaaaalllllyyyy old ways of running a business
    some managers have been there forever and need to be let go

A sleeping giant with lots of potential.

Current Employee - Software Test Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Software Test Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Dolby full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The innovation in audio technology is sheer brilliance.

Cons

I feel that the technology and opportunities are there. But the company is slow to react to them. Too much political hoopla and not enough initiative.

The engineers are the ones who and will make this company great: take care of them and they will take care of the company.

Sad About this Company....

I have been working at Dolby full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

A full time job with benefits and salary in the city of San Francisco.

Cons

When I first started working at Dolby, I was really proud to tell people that I worked here. The bulk of my discussions and interactions with my colleagues were positive ones.
    Today, on the other hand, I’m somewhat ashamed of our company and the way that we're acting toward one and another - along with the way that we behave within the larger community.

Our Impact on SF:

Look for instance at the three blocks that we cover in San Francisco. The hill up to our Potrero parking lot is covered with garbage, shopping carts and homeless encampments. And as far as I can tell, we’ve done nothing to alleviate the suffering for the homeless in this area much less clear the garbage or even put in a security system for our employees trying to get to their cars after dark.

Walking in the other direction to our building at Brannan, one has to walk through shopping carts, garbage and worse. I know plenty of businesses all over San Francisco who take responsibility for the entire area around their business but we just don’t bother – so our workers and their visitors have to walk through this over and over. And we do nothing to improve the neighborhood for other San Franciscans.

Now, we have purchased a building on Market Street – what are we planning to do to truly benefit that area when we can’t be bothered to clean up the trash within fifty yards of our current properties?

Employee Well Being:

At this point in time, my colleagues and a multitude of workers are simply overworked. I watch as the number of acceptable working hours raises month after month – and as my co-workers become used to 10 and 12 work days. There is no sense that what we do is a “marathon” or that people’s lives outside of work truly matter. Co-workers snap at one another, and the number of times that I’ve heard the words “thank you” has diminished extraordinarily in the last 6 months especially.

Tearing Down our Workforce:

I haven’t experienced as much one-upsmanship since my Greek days at university. Someone is “all good” because they do one big deal – but they’re forgotten or even unceremoniously fired as soon as the next person comes in. I’ve watched wonderful employees be stamped upon as the next person and next ideas walk in the door.

We have the typical gossip – it’s human nature to dwell on the random extramarital affair or drunken gaff at a work function. But the majority of the gossip is about someone’s perceived incompetence – executives (young to be sure) harpooned for being awkward public speakers; outright criticism of a current or former employee in large meetings; one person throwing another under the bus in order to protect themselves during what feels like a really tenuous time (following up on perhaps the 4th or 4 re-orgs in so many years).

In this most recent round, many employees have been laid off or fired as we bring in “fresh” senior executives and consultants. Does this happen in a lot of companies? Of course. But I cannot imagine why we at Dolby are behaving this way. And I also can’t imagine that Ray Dolby or his son would be pleased to fully understand what we’re doing to people’s lives here.

Tell your employees thank you and coach them to say it to one another.

Insist on 8-9 hour work days - don't let junior employees be bullied by managers who care little for their quality of life.

Put legalities aside and apologize for 30 year career workers who you've laid off.

Think considerably about the cultural and historical institutional knowledge that you lose when you push workers out for outside hires & consultants. Weigh out morale and love for this great company versus short-term fears about financial success.

Needs some tough love.

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Dolby full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

It's in San Francisco.
    9/80 is great for long weekends.

Cons

- Overly corporate.
    - Some really terrible middle managers - control freaks to be sure. Maybe just too young and trigger happy. However this is causing employees to leave at a steady rate.
    - Somehow not a good culture for innovation, which is not good for a company that depends on it more than most.

- Act boldly - it's sad when you cant do basic things your competitors are doing.
    - There are better management candidates amongst your current employees. Being a good manager is more than telling people what do do and making lots of noise.
    - Also replace employees who leave, or try and improve retention.
    - These corporate re-org's which just re-arrange a few things don't ever seem to have the desired effect. Some real restructuring to a much flatter system might be useful. Does Dolby really need assigned parking?

Good company but many very bad managers

I worked at Dolby full-time (more than an year)

Pros

off Fridays and that was nice to work in peace one day every other week. Manager was not in

Cons

no one can make a move without asking three other people. hard to get work done

Learn how to management and treat people in general

Past two years have been constant turmoil

Current Employee - Marketing in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Marketing in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Dolby full-time

Pros

Every other Friday is an "off" day.

Cons

No visible marketing leadership, despite re-org and lots of new, senior hires

Stop hiring so many consultants - it's killing us!

Good company!

Former Employee - Program Manager in Sunnyvale, CA
    Former Employee - Program Manager in Sunnyvale, CA

I worked at Dolby full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good environment and good peoples to work with. Free drink and snack in Sunnyvale campus.

Cons

There is not too much room for moving upward. Job can get dull sometime.

none

Engaging and exiting company

I have been working at Dolby full-time

Pros

Very Engaging and exciting company. The company is on the cutting edge of Audio technology and is investing and getting wins in lot of different markets.

Cons

Not really aware of any.

Be decisive

No focus, vision, or strategy

Current Employee - Director in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Director in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Dolby full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Smart engineers, scientists and salespeople.

Cons

No sense of marketing at all. It's all tactics and absolutely no leadership, vision, or strategy. So many consultants weighing in on what to do and what not to do and the execs listen to all of them, pay them ridiculous amounts, then try to execute on every tactic they suggest.

Never having one in place, please hire a marketing leadership team and hire our first ever CMO and perhaps from the entertainment industry. And please create a marketing plan with specific budgets, goals, and measurement plans.

Meh

Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Dolby full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Lots of really sharp people

Cons

Disorganized, haphazard and yet very corporate

Talk to your grunts on the ground