Dole Food Reviews

Updated October 16, 2014
3.9

Dole Food President, CEO, and Director David A. DeLorenzo
David A. DeLorenzo

Tough job, but good for summer work

Current Employee - Summer Associate in Wahiawä, HI
    Current Employee - Summer Associate in Wahiawä, HI

I have been working at Dole Food full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Very organized, pretty understanding about requesting time off, all management staff are nice. No mean people. You have a set schedule and never work more than a half hour past closing. I enjoyed the customer interaction too.

Cons

Very physical work, constantly lifting boxes, restocking the retail store, serving long lines of food and beverage customers. Very little room for promotion. From the position of summer associate you basically have the option of becoming full time in the same position or moving to cashier, which pays the same but less physical work. The only upward promotion I saw when working there was moving up to being a cook.

You get out what you put in

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Westlake Village, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Westlake Village, CA

I worked at Dole Food full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great company, great people, competitive salary and benefits. Opportunities for those willing to work hard to earn it. The WLV HQ office is 5-star and it's cafe offers some of the healthiest, best tasting fare in town.

Cons

Not always in agreement with Sr Mgmt but always aligned and committed to supporting their initiatives and vision.

Listen to those in your reporting chain.

Excellent international company!

I worked at Dole Food full-time

Pros

International business exposure; good career opportunites; generally excellent professional staff; strong teamwork ethic.

Cons

Medium term strategy is unclear after company went private in 2013 for second time. Sense of uncertainty increased after significant restructuring. Few in corporate staff seem to fully understand the global business.

Strengthen the succession plan. Restore employee motivation.

Base wage, hard work

Former Employee - Summer Support in Wahiawä, HI
    Former Employee - Summer Support in Wahiawä, HI

I worked at Dole Food full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Gain experience in food service and retail at the same time, a lot of exposure in the tourism industry. You'll become an expert at making a perfect ice cream cone. The company is fairly well run.

Cons

Work is very physical. A lot of restocking and dishwashing. Constantly moving and standing, which can be difficult if not used to it. Very little opportunity for promotion. There is a large stagger between management and workers.

A good place to work.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Westlake Village, Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Westlake Village, Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Dole Food

Pros

A lot of "wordly" exposure

Cons

Corporate environment with long waits before career advancement

Must be willing to drink the Kool Aid

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Monterey, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Monterey, CA

I have been working at Dole Food

Pros

Corporate culture of honesty and even handedness that I support. Healthy products I can believe in. Senior management at DFV has made good on its promises and has a clear direction. The employees are dedicated and contientious.

Cons

Recent culture of overworking many employees to bring down costs. Long term burnout and poor decision making are starting to show. Middle managment in my dept. seems unfocused and incapable of making and sticking to a decision.

Start to consider the long term effects the current cost cutting has on employee ability to make good decisions and on burnout. Focus on training and retaining employees and bringing up their skills rather than outsourcing or 'hiring' competence.

Poor Management of a Great Brand Name

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Westlake Village, Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Westlake Village, Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Dole Food

Pros

- Location - you can't go wrong being in the Santa Monica Mountains and 10 miles north of Malibu.
    - Work Life balance is nice because I live close to work, not the same story for my coworkers.
    - Nice building to work in.

Cons

- Company expects brand name to carry it to success.
    - Management doesn't financially support the growth of the brand.
    - Most employees work here because it is in the location they want to live.
    - Very inefficient.
    - Reactionary vs. visionary company.
    - Focused on stuffing ourselves into a niche that hinders financial growth.
    - No leadership development resulting in some key leadership positions being filled with incompetent leaders
    - No true accountability or execution.
    - Uninspiring
    - California is beautiful but expensive, especially when we haven’t received a bonus for the past number of years in order to pay down company debt

Understand that people will make or break a company. Dole is a great brand, but it is deteriorating because of the middle management. Some Key Managers in the habit of using band-aids to hide their own poor decisions and weaknesses.

dole food

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Dole Food

Pros

there are few lay offs and high level of security. most jobs are not challenging or stressful, get free fruit

Cons

no opportunites to grow, no innovation, very backwards and old fashion, not a lot of training opportunites offered, only senior management has a say in what goes on , no flex time schedules or work from home options (in practice, theory maybe)

get with the times! employee satisfaction and work life balanace leds to a great success for the company, work with people and their lives/desire

Good place to start

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Enterprise, AL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Enterprise, AL

I worked at Dole Food

Pros

A very solid place to work with great co workers and opportunities. I did like the Career Opportunities. But the communication between compensation workers and Senior leadership was second to none.

Cons

Long hours and physical labor were just a few cons. The work life balance was pretty good but It could have been better. The pay was low for the amount of work that was expected of you on a day to day basis. With an education this job may have been better for me but i was treated with fairness and respect. The senior leadership could have been stronger.

Listen to your workers

Good training,professional working environment,

Current Employee - Project Manager - Warehouse Manager in Ho Chi Minh City (Vietnam)

I have been working at Dole Food full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good training,improve personal skill,kind boss,aboard business trip and training,improve your creative

Cons

Spend great challenges and learn how to overcome them