Dole Food

Poor Management of a Great Brand Name

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Westlake Village, Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Westlake Village, Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Dole Food

Pros

- Location - you can't go wrong being in the Santa Monica Mountains and 10 miles north of Malibu.
    - Work Life balance is nice because I live close to work, not the same story for my coworkers.
    - Nice building to work in.

Cons

- Company expects brand name to carry it to success.
    - Management doesn't financially support the growth of the brand.
    - Most employees work here because it is in the location they want to live.
    - Very inefficient.
    - Reactionary vs. visionary company.
    - Focused on stuffing ourselves into a niche that hinders financial growth.
    - No leadership development resulting in some key leadership positions being filled with incompetent leaders
    - No true accountability or execution.
    - Uninspiring
    - California is beautiful but expensive, especially when we haven’t received a bonus for the past number of years in order to pay down company debt

Understand that people will make or break a company. Dole is a great brand, but it is deteriorating because of the middle management. Some Key Managers in the habit of using band-aids to hide their own poor decisions and weaknesses.

Base wage, hard work

Former Employee - Summer Support in Wahiawä, HI
    Former Employee - Summer Support in Wahiawä, HI

I worked at Dole Food full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Gain experience in food service and retail at the same time, a lot of exposure in the tourism industry. You'll become an expert at making a perfect ice cream cone. The company is fairly well run.

Cons

Work is very physical. A lot of restocking and dishwashing. Constantly moving and standing, which can be difficult if not used to it. Very little opportunity for promotion. There is a large stagger between management and workers.

for me dole company is good,all that we have now is from with it.so im very much thankful of that.

Current Employee - General Utility in Polomolok (Philippines)
    Current Employee - General Utility in Polomolok (Philippines)

I have been working at Dole Food full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

dole is for me all benifits we gather,costs and salary on time,employee sides first.healthy and hospitalization is free if you are an employee.

Cons

dole is good comparing in other company..we love dole.we grab all our opportunities,lifestyle,benifits,insurances..

more business more quality for d good of costumer..it is d good provider.

It is a great place to gain experience.

I have been working at Dole Food

Pros

Work life balance.
    Great co-wokers.
    Team work mentality.

Cons

Low paying jobs.
    Limited opportunity to move up.

Must be willing to drink the Kool Aid

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Monterey, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Monterey, CA

I have been working at Dole Food

Pros

Corporate culture of honesty and even handedness that I support. Healthy products I can believe in. Senior management at DFV has made good on its promises and has a clear direction. The employees are dedicated and contientious.

Cons

Recent culture of overworking many employees to bring down costs. Long term burnout and poor decision making are starting to show. Middle managment in my dept. seems unfocused and incapable of making and sticking to a decision.

Start to consider the long term effects the current cost cutting has on employee ability to make good decisions and on burnout. Focus on training and retaining employees and bringing up their skills rather than outsourcing or 'hiring' competence.

I worked in IT, and was given plenty of opportunities and independence to learn and grow.

I worked at Dole Food

Pros

The people are very professional, motivated, and well managed. It seemed that the executive and management team had the experience and charisma to properly lead by example.

Cons

The department I worked in was very lean and short staffed, so I was not allowed to take any time off the first year. That fact, along with the long hours and periodic micro management, did not instill confidence that my superiors would reward my hard work.

Having a better work life balance will increase employees' work productivity, and their retention rate. Overall, giving a little more freedom will empower people to work more efficiently.

Overworked-underpaid

Current Employee - Research Coordinator in Davao (Philippines)
    Current Employee - Research Coordinator in Davao (Philippines)

I have been working at Dole Food

Pros

Good Training, with a lot of exposure to all aspects of operations, international experience, good benefits package

Cons

low pay, overworked, no clear career plan, no succession planning

rethink employee compensation package, a lot of brain-drain is already happening

dole food

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Dole Food

Pros

there are few lay offs and high level of security. most jobs are not challenging or stressful, get free fruit

Cons

no opportunites to grow, no innovation, very backwards and old fashion, not a lot of training opportunites offered, only senior management has a say in what goes on , no flex time schedules or work from home options (in practice, theory maybe)

get with the times! employee satisfaction and work life balanace leds to a great success for the company, work with people and their lives/desire

Good place to start

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Enterprise, AL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Enterprise, AL

I worked at Dole Food

Pros

A very solid place to work with great co workers and opportunities. I did like the Career Opportunities. But the communication between compensation workers and Senior leadership was second to none.

Cons

Long hours and physical labor were just a few cons. The work life balance was pretty good but It could have been better. The pay was low for the amount of work that was expected of you on a day to day basis. With an education this job may have been better for me but i was treated with fairness and respect. The senior leadership could have been stronger.

Listen to your workers

Great experience

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at Dole Food

Pros

Healthy work environment and work life balance

Cons

Wanted more opportunities and experiences to manage

Keep it up!