Dollar General

Dollar General Reviews

Updated Jul 23, 2014

Dollar General Chairman and CEO Rick Dreiling

Rick Dreiling

Pros
  • You will like most of your customers, as it is a neighborhood store, and you will be close to home(in 13 reviews)

• Great people to work with and shifts went by quickly because lots to do(in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • No work/life balance the stores are too understaffed due to low associate pay(in 33 reviews)

• There was one point in time when we had six store managers walk out in a six week period(in 63 reviews)

Positive

Store Manager (Current Employee)

ProsFamily Enviroment with excellent opportunities for promotion.

ConsLong hours and had to find good PT workers.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't get behind

A company that could be great, if it wasn't sabotaging itself

Sales Associate (Former Employee)

ProsThe customers, always busy, and I was fortunate enough to have some good co-workers. And I liked how the store was set up. With a small team taking care of the store, it kept a neighborly feel.

ConsLow pay, long hours, inconsistent breaks, limited opportunities for advancement, and a high distrust of employees when it comes to theft. Here are a few comments I received from other co-workers: "Why would you work long-term for DG?," "They are more worried about us stealing than the vendors and customers," and "I only make fifty cents above minimum wage to be a lead." To sum it up: Dollar General does not show appreciation for its store employees. I just don't understand it. The store should come first because it is the main source of revenue.

Advice to Senior ManagementBecome more competitive and invest more in the people who care for your stores. After all, the stores are your "money-makers." Taking care of a store requires more than half-time effort; therefore, if you want good workers, pay for full-time effort. If you want someone to invest in your company, you must be willing to invest in them. It would save you money in the long-term because you'd cut the costs of hiring and retraining people. You'd save money and improve sales by attracting people who would come to really care for the stores.

Could use a little help...

Store Manager (Current Employee) Laurel, MS

ProsFreedom to train employees, freedom to schedule, good benefits, paid vacation that increases with tenure

ConsScheduling hours go down at the end of the year to make up for budget costs and this always happens during the holidays.. ouch! Also, I have seen some stores that get hours cut so much that managers are there 70-80hrs per week, and alone a lot. Hours should seriously be addressed from a corporate level.

Advice to Senior ManagementThey do pretty good in my opinion. My only recommendation would be to spend a little more one on one time with managers that are seeking more knowledge or struggling, and have an open mind to ideas for sales tactics.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

retaining managers

Store Manager (Current Employee) Titusville, FL

Prosthere are allot of things great about working for Dollar General BUT then those things do find a way to get kicked to the curb. Not all things but a very good portion do. Sometimes the feeling of, Damn you do damn you don't.

ConsTime strain to complete all with very very low dollar/labor allowance. the Cause ?Todays economy maybe,

Advice to Senior ManagementAllot of thoughts but not enough room to list

People don't work for companies, they work for the people in charge of their store.

Lead Sales Associate (Former Employee)

ProsThe manager of the store is the only reason I stayed with the store as long as I did. She is over worked just because she is limited payroll for her employees. She was not one to sit in the office and worked side by side with everyone.

ConsIt takes every last one of the employees to keep the store up and running in the manner that Corp. wants. They (corp.) push changes made in the store with limited payroll for employees which affects the customer service.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou stress good customer service but short change the payroll to make a few bucks. Pay your Managers and Key holders a decent pay!

Dollar General Distribution Center

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Ardmore, OK

Prosgood pay, benefits, retirement, holiday pay, some supervisors can be very good to work for, overtime is always available

ConsVery inefficient in their product placement causing the work to be harder and longer than it has to be. The company itself is showing less appreciation for their dedicated employees making it harder to want to stay with the company. There is no appreciation for a job well done. There are very few opportunities for advancement in the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementYour company standards for production are so tight it is hard to meet expectations. Seasoned workers find it difficult, so when you have new people come in, it feels impossible to meet your standards. Learn to say Thank you. Show more appreciation for the workers that have been there for years instead of taking them for granted.

Good company to work for if you are a Hard working individual

General Manager (Current Employee)

ProsLot's of room for quick advancement

ConsNot enough time for personal life

Advice to Senior Managementtreat salaried managers better

Easy opportunities

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThere are flexible scheduling hours

ConsUnderstaffed on an everyday basis

Good Company

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Goodlettsville, TN

ProsPleasant work environment, strong emphasis on mission and providing value to end customer, sharp executive leadership, great work atmosphere, many non-monetary benefits and perks*.

ConsBase compensation is a sub-par and some perks leadership feels offset this do not apply to all. Hard work is recognized by leadership, but not always rewarded appropriately.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in promising employees. Stop trying to get A+ talent at bargain salaries. Not recognizing the value they bring has led many sharp people to leave for better opportunities at companies who recognize their worth.

My Experience

Cashier- Key Person (Current Employee) Marion, OH

ProsIt's a paycheck. Some of the coworkers are great.

ConsMy manager isn't a good manager she doesn't know how to talk to her employees, and can't make up her mind is constantly contradicting herself, so never know what to do. Her training style makes it hard to learn she shows while going 50 mph once & expects you to remember what she showed you. All of us that work for her are willing to stay with Dollar General under her assistant Robert but not her, so we are hoping she gets a new store or if Robert gets the new store we want to go where he goes.

Advice to Senior ManagementEither get HER retrained on how to talk to & treat her employees or get rid of her. We have many customers that complain about her rudeness & lack of volume control.

Worked for Dollar General? Contribute to the Community!