Dollar General

Dollar General Reviews

Updated Apr 16, 2014

Dollar General Chairman and CEO Rick Dreiling

Rick Dreiling

Pros:
  • "They pay is good, and you sometimes get to work with great employees"
    in 17 reviews
  • "There is an opportunity for advancement if you can prove yourself"
    in 14 reviews
Cons:
  • "No work/life balance the stores are too understaffed due to low associate pay"
    in 25 reviews
  • "Pay for store managers is the lowest in the entire retail industry on a bell curve"
    in 52 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Decent part-time job

Sales Associate (Current Employee)

I have been working at Dollar General part-time for less than a year

ProsGreat people to work with, so it's who you end up with. The workload is multitasking, but use your common sense. Also, it's not bad to ask for help from time to time from co-workers. This job is sort of demanding at first, but people just get used to it. Not sure which I like better, the opening shift or the closing shift. I hear you get paid weekly, but the weekly pay at first is bi-weekly if through direct deposit. It's great as long as your employers and co-workers are nice, just like any other job.

ConsJust juggling two things at once. You also get your disgruntled customers who just hurl insults at you. Not much benefits for this part time job.

Advice to Senior ManagementJust separate responsibilities for people.

One of the best companies to work for in Nashville

I have been working at Dollar General full-time for less than a year

ProsDollar General Embraces new technology and is not afraid to try to implement anything that will help grow business. They also know their customer very well and concentrate their growth to appeal to that customer base.

ConsThere are some political issues with upper management. This is shielded from most employees and is to be expected with a fast growing large environment like this one.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive more weight to employees and less weight to vendors when making technology decisions.

I loved working here.

Cashier/Stocker (Former Employee)
Greer, SC

I worked at Dollar General part-time for less than a year

ProsThe people were nice there. Customers were awesome. Made new friends.

ConsThe pay was alright. Asking for time off was a problem.

Perfect beginning to enter work force, but terrible career choice

Lead Sales Associate (Current Employee)
Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Dollar General full-time for more than 3 years

Prosflexible schedule, generous and kind customers, friendly co-workers, relatively easy work

Consterrible pay, lots of work, little growth (outside the store), micro-manages EVERYTHING!!!

Advice to Senior Managementrecognize effort and reward deligence

excellent

Salesassociate (Current Employee)
Struthers, OH

I have been working at Dollar General part-time for less than a year

Prospaid every week on Friday

Consnot enough hours to work

Advice to Senior Managementgive part timers more hours

Outstanding company to work for - lots of opportunty to get ahead in this well-managed, growing company.

I have been working at Dollar General full-time for more than 5 years

ProsPositive, diverse, progressive company with bright prospects and high-quality management. There's a reason Dollar General is doing so well...the people.

ConsHigh growth rate can create high workloads, however, this is the situation that creates opportunities to get ahead.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to promote from within and promote diversity...it's a winning formula!

Not Bad, but needs improvement

Assistant Manager (Current Employee)
Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Dollar General full-time for less than a year

ProsNice people, pay isn't bad considering who you are working for, store management is nice and easy to approach when the need arises.

ConsNot enough hours for the employees, store is a mess most of the time which brings complaints from the customers, not enough time to clean up the store when you have to work register and stock at the same time.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive more hours! Hire part-time employees to come in and only rotate stock and clean the store up a few times a week. This will give a better store presentation and more people will come.

Great company to work for, good growth potential

I have been working at Dollar General full-time for more than 8 years

ProsDG has a very employee-friendly culture, competitve pay & benefits, great vision for the future, a laser focus on serving the customer, and good growth opportunities.

ConsDG is a retail company -- the continual focus on the customer makes it a very competitive and fast-paced environment. This environment is not for everyone but it's very rewarding work personally.

Advice to Senior ManagementMy advice woudl be to continue to focus on investments in your people, providing us with the training and tools to do our job, while at the same time focusing on improvements for our customer!

Investing in Young Professionals

Specialist (Current Employee)

I have been working at Dollar General full-time for more than 3 years

ProsDG really focuses on the development of young professionals. In fact, the corporate office has an employee resource group dedicated to young professionals called DGYP.

There is a lot of growth opportunity at Dollar General, if you are willing to work for it. You really have to own your own career. I think sometimes people expect promotions to be handed to them without even expressing they are interested in advancing.

ConsRetail is fast-pace and we are a lean organization. You will be expected to do the job of 2 people. This is not an 8-5 job.

Advice to Senior ManagementI would advise management to find a way to visit all the employees in their report structure. Often management only hears the opinions of their direct reports and they may be missing the heartbeat of the organization. You could schedule a breakfast or lunch to get to know some of the other employees in your report structure.

No stability in positions above

I have been working at Dollar General

ProsSmall manageable store, easy to keep in stock

ConsNo clear vision of company direction from home office. Employee pool is terrible

Advice to Senior ManagementThey do not set you up for success, store I took over was a mess. If you are a self starter you will survive

Worked for Dollar General? Contribute to the Community!

Dollar General Videos

Dollar General – Why Work for Us?

Dollar General is an exciting place these days. Not only is the shopping experience the best it has ever been, our rapid growth has created tremendous career opportunities throughout the company. DG employees find… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Dollar General reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Dollar General CEO Rick Dreiling. All 744 reviews posted anonymously by Dollar General employees.