Dollar General Reviews

Rick Dreiling

1. Good Company to work

Current Employee - Senior Programmer Analyst in Goodlettsville, TN
    Current Employee - Senior Programmer Analyst in Goodlettsville, TN

I have been working at Dollar General full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good balance between work and personal life.

Cons

Too slow in implementing new projects.

Can improve on bringing new systems or improvements faster which could help in the growth of the company or place better ahead of the competition.

2. Dollar General is a GREAT company!

Current Employee - Management in Goodlettsville, TN
    Current Employee - Management in Goodlettsville, TN

I have been working at Dollar General full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

I've worked at Dollar General for 9 years in it's corporate headquarters. Our company motto is Serving Others, and this culture is exemplified on a daily basis by the people who make up the organization. We work hard, and the results show it, yet we treat each other with respect and dignity. This is such an important component to long-term satisfaction.

As a corporate citizen, DG is second to none. Our charitable donations are many, yet I am most astounded and gratified by the contributions of the DG Literacy Foundation. It is almost unfathomable to consider the lives that have been improved, and even saved, by the generosity of this tremendous foundation.

Like others, I've had opportunities during the past 9 years to leave DG and the Nashville are, but turned them down every time. Why would I want to?

Cons

In a perfect world, the DG headquarters would be situated further south, in the heart of Nashville, or in Williamson County. Goodlettsville is not the most conducive environment to support and nurture the diverse needs of a large corporation.

Never lose sight of the best component of any organization...it's people. Treat them with the respect and dignity they deserve. Give them a voice. This is what makes a truly great corporation.

3. Outstanding!

Current Employee - IT - Corporate Headquarters in Goodlettsville, TN
    Current Employee - IT - Corporate Headquarters in Goodlettsville, TN

I have been working at Dollar General

Pros

Retail is a business that's thousands of years old. Yet this company is trying - and succeeding - to find new methods and new ways, while maintaining a simple strategy that its customers value. It's just a solid place to work and to grow your career.

Cons

Hey, it's not always sexy or cutting edge. But it is important work being a part of this team, if you believe in the mission.

5. In have worked in finance for over 10 years. Since my move to Dollar General I have not looked back.

Current Employee - Finance in Goodlettsville, TN
    Current Employee - Finance in Goodlettsville, TN

I have been working at Dollar General

Pros

Social Clubs, onsite cafe, onsite gym, lots of year round activities, company perks and discounts, and much more.

Cons

This company is not for the lazy. We work hard and we play hard. Should you come to DG, expect to be challenged to perfection.

6. Demand Chain Management Analyst

Current Employee - Demand Chain Management Analyst in Goodlettsville, TN
    Current Employee - Demand Chain Management Analyst in Goodlettsville, TN

I have been working at Dollar General full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great work environment, growing company, lots of changes to make the job more exciting and easier, and most of all the freedom to make changes to drive the business.

Cons

Lower than average pay, strange promotion schedule, and short staffed.

I would pay employees the same or more than the average pay for inventory analyst and offer more timely promotions in order to attract and retain good employees.

7. I do enjoy working at the Corporate office of Dollar General...however.

Current Employee - Corporate Office in Goodlettsville, TN
    Current Employee - Corporate Office in Goodlettsville, TN

I have been working at Dollar General full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Race day(when it is NOT on a Monday, does upper management not work on Mondays), free, cheap swag.

Cons

When something needs to be changed, you have to practically slaughter a chicken and do a rain dance to get it changed even after you've proven it needs to be changed.

I do not like that we sell Tobacco products now, nor that we have expanded into one of the most difficult states to make money in, California. With the amount of Wait Time Penalty alone, DG is not making a profit in that state. My hope is that since the bottom line is what matters most, they will pull out of California and stop killing people with Tobacco products. Customers can't spend money at your store if they are dead.

8. Corporate Career

Current Employee - Store Support Center in Goodlettsville, TN
    Current Employee - Store Support Center in Goodlettsville, TN

I have been working at Dollar General full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

DG genuinely cares for their employees - - many employees have been working at DG for 15-.30+ years

DG is a growing company that almost always promotes from within.

Excellent work/life balance (work hours, vacation, etc.)

Great corporate environment (friendly and respectful coworkers & managers, onsite gym, etc.)

Corporate office is in a good location (north of Nashville, limited commuting problems)

DG is very active in the community serving others. Some highlights include the Literacy Foundation, United Way Giving campaign, Habitat For Humanity, and Autism Speaks.

Cons

The pay isn't as great as some similar jobs at other companies in Nashville. I would guess 10%-15% lower. There is good bonus potential on top of salary, but the bonuses haven't been as good since DG went public.

The main office isn't large enough to accommodate all of the corporate employees so some employees are forced to work from home or satellite offices that aren't as nice as the main office.

The coffee is awful!

9. Great first job out of college

Current Employee - Coordinator in Goodlettsville, TN
    Current Employee - Coordinator in Goodlettsville, TN

I have been working at Dollar General

Pros

I love the relaxed and inclusive culture, intelligent coworkers, and the open and honest executive team. DG hosts 4 different employee resource groups, including one for women, African Americans, former/current military members, LGBT employees, and young professionals. You can become as involved or uninvolved in these groups as you wish to be, but I've never been at a company that has as many resources for its employees as this one does. Another thing that makes me very proud to work here is the culture of serving others. At DG, serving others is part of the business operating priorities, making it integral to the business's success. It's not just about Dollar General making one large public donation every year. It's about employees who give back to other employees in need through the Employee Assistance Foundation and DG's commitment to furthering literacy initiatives throughout the country with the company's founder at the root of the movement. It's about store operations almost exclusively raising $2 million for St. Jude in a one-month time period. This company goes above and beyond at CARING about other people in the world, which is more than most corporations can say.

Cons

Dollar General is a very lean company. This means that fewer employees are forced to do many different tasks and wear a lot of hats to get their work accomplished. It's nice in that there isn't a lot of down time to be bored, but I think a lot of problems at corporate and in the field could be solved by hiring more people.

10. It's all about your Manager and Group Structure

Current Employee - Manager, Corporate in Goodlettsville, TN
    Current Employee - Manager, Corporate in Goodlettsville, TN

I have been working at Dollar General full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

DG is much more cutting edge then it's given credit. Our flex-office hours make work-life balance manageable and the office culture is a huge family. The ERGs are a fantastic way to network and there is a huge push to join these in the past few years. DG has really stepped up its role in sponsoring Nashville community events and people have noticed.

Cons

Initiatives without addt'l personnel taken into consideration. Salaries must be increased (be closer to competitive) to retain outstanding workers who give it their all. SSC needs to be on one main campus vs 5 locations.

Competitive pay, provide more opportunities to work from home during the week. Go DG!

11. Very shady

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Goodlettsville, TN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Goodlettsville, TN

I have been working at Dollar General

Pros

If you're young and don't mind 60 year old men creeping on you, you can go far up the chain (at corporate).

Cons

60 year old men creeping on you.

Get a clue as to what is going on from manager up through director.