Dollar General

2.5
1,068 Reviews

Dollar General Chairman and CEO Rick Dreiling
Rick Dreiling

Pros
  • The company is growing at an impressive rate and has aggressive growth plans (in 24 reviews)

• And the one I work at was close to home, so I enjoyed walking to work (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • for a part time associate you have plenty of work life balance (in 42 reviews)

• Store managers receive absolutely no direction or support from their District Managers (in 75 reviews)

More Highlights

53 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

A world class organization with a genuine conviction for Serving Others

Current Employee - Store Development Professional in Goodlettsville, TN
    Current Employee - Store Development Professional in Goodlettsville, TN

I have been working at Dollar General full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Working at the Store Support Center in Goodlettsville, the opportunities for growth and advancement are limitless. The organizational structure is flat, with accessible, transparent leaders who truly care about their employees. The people here are more like family than co-workers. Whether you're a high octane self-starter or a consistent contributer, there's a place for you at DG.

Cons

As with any discount retailer, the support staff is very lean and the work load can be overwhelming at times.

Where possible, allow support employees to work remotely from home a few times a month. This option would virtually cost nothing and would be well-received by employees.

Amazing company with an incredible opportunity to grow your career!

Current Employee - Human Resources Representative in Goodlettsville, TN
    Current Employee - Human Resources Representative in Goodlettsville, TN

I have been working at Dollar General full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Leadership is supportive and inspiring. The culture is energizing, the people are collaborative, friendly, supportive, everyone is working hard towards the same goal. The company is growing at an impressive rate and has aggressive growth plans. Excellent opportunity to join the team, learn the business, earn your stripes and take your career as far as you want.

Cons

Not really a con, like most companies, if you want a long term career, you’ll need to be ready to work really hard and contribute.

Keep communicating with your teams and caring about their success. It’s amazing with how large the organization is to get as much hands on support and training as you give. Thank you!

Passion about DG customers

I have been working at Dollar General full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

This company is very focused on what our core customer wants and, more so, needs. You just need to hear Senior Director of marketing, Angela Martin, talk about our core customer(s) to know how passionate DG is about her.

Fantastic upward potential.

Cons

The lean operating model that Dollar General uses (which is what helps us keep our prices so slow) also means more work per employee than other retailers - store level and corporate.

Stay focused, keep up the good work.

Csr clerk

Former Employee - Clerk in Goodlettsville, TN
    Former Employee - Clerk in Goodlettsville, TN

I worked at Dollar General part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Friendly coworkers and management, good pay for the work, i enjoyed my short time there

Cons

I was a temp for 6 months, didnt get hited ft, wasnt given a reason, was given good work reviews and raises, only a few others got ft, i later saw a news story they often hire temps to avoid paying benefits , i was scammed,

Stress and chaos

Former Employee - Anonymous in Goodlettsville, TN
    Former Employee - Anonymous in Goodlettsville, TN

I worked at Dollar General full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Experience in a process oriented environment.

Cons

Executive nepatism, their own agenda, lack of regard for work life balance, and lying to keep staff happy is a way of life

Listen to those that have been there a long time, been there and tried that, it failed then too!!

Store Support Center Employee

Current Employee - Senior Manager Human Resources in Goodlettsville, TN
    Current Employee - Senior Manager Human Resources in Goodlettsville, TN

I have been working at Dollar General full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Working at the Store Support Center (Corporate Headquarters) can be lots of fun. If you are a social person, there are many opportunities to connect with others through volunteer opportunities and corporate events. Definitely join one of the Employee Resource Groups (ERGs). There a fabulous day care center on site, as well as a workout center, a dry cleaners, a car detailing service, and an excellent cafeteria. The campus is quite nice.

Cons

It helps if you are a workaholic. Dollar General is extremely demanding of its employees in terms of quantity of work and aggressive timelines. A minimum of 45 hours per week is expected, with many weeks being more like 60 hours. And it never slows down, the pace is only getting faster due to the current hiring freeze. We were promised an additional hire two years ago that has never been filled.

Also, beware of promises of bonus potential. For several years these were practically "guaranteed" but that is no longer true. In 2013 there was no payout for their Teamshare bonuses.

Consider how the current succession planning process promotes ageism, favoritism, and cultural biases. Move to results-focused performance ratings, rather than how well a person is liked by others. I believe your stance on minimum wage and benefits for store employees is misguided. Consider leading the nation in treating your lowest paid workers better and you will likely get lower turnover, lower shrink, and customer loyalty in return.

Good Company

I have been working at Dollar General full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Pleasant work environment, strong emphasis on mission and providing value to end customer, sharp executive leadership, great work atmosphere, many non-monetary benefits and perks*.

Cons

Base compensation is a sub-par and some perks leadership feels offset this do not apply to all. Hard work is recognized by leadership, but not always rewarded appropriately.

Invest in promising employees. Stop trying to get A+ talent at bargain salaries. Not recognizing the value they bring has led many sharp people to leave for better opportunities at companies who recognize their worth.

A place where one person can still make a big impact

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Goodlettsville, TN

I have been working at Dollar General full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Huge opportunities here thanks to continued growth, and not too many layers of management. Great benefits and competitive pay.

Cons

11,000+ stores means things are always moving. People who can't prioritize or need predictability won't dig this atmosphere.

I worked for HQ and had the time of my life for 7 years.

Former Employee - IT Analyst in Goodlettsville, TN
    Former Employee - IT Analyst in Goodlettsville, TN

I worked at Dollar General full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The company truly cares. Their values are solid and they do their best to try to help customers.

Cons

The stores are often very short-staffed, mainly because this is a discount retail chain.

Keep up the good work. I miss you!

Dollar General treats salaried Employees like they work in the store

Former Employee - Sr System Analyst in Goodlettsville, TN
    Former Employee - Sr System Analyst in Goodlettsville, TN

I worked at Dollar General full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Compensation, friendly coworkers , Day Care at the HQ,

Cons

My manger's boss was a micro-manger and hired non technical managers to be under him from previous departments. While they knew the business, they really had no technical skills, and because of this, their boss ,who was a former developer, could say anything he wanted to his managers and get away with it. However, those with a technical background knew his concepts and ideas were rooted in old methodologies. This department used intimidation and the threat of writing you up if you had one defect or if you didn't want to work weekends. However, in DG's defense, DG did fire my manger's boss and reassigned the non-technical managers. They then brought in a manger who had the technical qualifications after so many employees left

HR was really weak. Many people complained but nothing happened. Seems HR was more involved in planning events(discounts on Ballet, Shopping , etc..) than dealing with internal employee issues. HR should be a place that an employee can go to get real issues resolved. HR should have the power to correct real issues. A strong HR prevents many problems from getting out of hand and keeps an employee from leaving.