Dollar General Reviews

2.5
Dollar General CEO Todd Vasos
Todd Vasos
1 Rating

Pros
  • And the one I work at was close to home, so I enjoyed walking to work (in 17 reviews)

• I started as a part time sales associate (in 23 reviews)

Cons
  • Worst work-life balance as DMs work 6 days a week (in 49 reviews)

• Store managers are expected to work 6 days a week (in 79 reviews)

1. Turnover rates

Current Employee - Dollar General Third Key in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Dollar General Third Key in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Dollar General part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people who can't handle it leave quickly.

Cons

Store hours allotted never reflect the needs of the store. Stores is bad shape because of old SMs take so long to repair because of low store hours.

Advice to Management

Stores in disrepair should be allotted x amt of extra hours per week for x amt of time in order to hire one person to repair the store. That being their only job.

Not a good place

Former Employee - Key Holder in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Key Holder in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Dollar General full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

the only pro i can think of is they pay good

Cons

they think their employees are superman types ... i mean they give you way way too much work to do and expect it done ... no way

Advice to Management

i was in management and no one listens so i have none

customer service,scheduling,budgeting,sales growth,merchandising

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Dollar General (More than a year)

Pros

customer satisfaction,profit margin goals met,bonususes,overall customer satisfaction

Cons

hours, working holidays without pay,being on salary

Advice to Management

have an assertive and pro active management team

So much potential if willing to give up personal life

I have been working at Dollar General full-time

Pros

Lots of hours, vacation at 6 months

Cons

Extremely high turnover, teams are always short, days off are few and getting sick is not an option

Advice to Management

Managers have it worse. They are lucky to ever get their one day off a week.

Not enough hours are given

Former Employee - Store Manager in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Dollar General full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I liked this job do to the hard work i put into it every week i started off as a cashier and moved up in the management field to a store Manger. Before i took the position i always thought yes i could do that better than the current manger could. I though wrong unfortunately. I was only 18 when i took over the store. I loved the work and customers (well some) .

Cons

The pay for salary management sucks, felt like there was no team work in my district, not enough time off in the holiday season.

Advice to Management

Push threw it it rough at first but in the end its worth it.

Store manager

Current Employee - Store Manager in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Dollar General full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great time with customer interaction, fast paced, not a desk job. You are busy from minute to minute. Great excercise

Cons

Workloads are overwhelming for Managers without the proper staffing. Not always given the number of hours to staff properly. Lots of theft in some store without an active detourant for thieves. Be prepared to work over 50 hours a week.

Advice to Management

Would like to see more hours given to stores so start tasks are able to be completed on time. A better anti theft practice would be great I.e. Security tags that sound. Just a small thing, black is the wrong color for our employees to wear, shows every piece of box lint, flaw and dust particle. Let alone they are hot as heck.

8. Assistant manager

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Dollar General full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fast paced company. Well executed sale points and floor plans.

Cons

No really promotion opportunities for within company employees.

Advice to Management

Keep calm. Keep your head in the game. Manage your team and show respect.

Assistant Manager

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Columbus, IN
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Columbus, IN

I worked at Dollar General full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Loved co-workers, lost 50 lbs from all the work and no time to eat, nice customers help make the day better. You can move up to management with no experience as soon as someone quits because theyre desperate.

Cons

Management does not care if you have a life or family. You are expected to work all shifts or they will threaten your position or give you tiny amounts of hours to get rid of you. I didnt have a babysitter at night and they tried forcing me to figure something out or i would lose my position because its mandatory to close at least 2 nights a week. Didnt see my family for months at a time because if 1 person quits, you are stuck there pulling doubles and no days off. You get paid for your job title but you will always be doing the work of the position above yours.

Advice to Management

BETTER PAY to make it worth staying. People might not quit after they see that first paycheck.

10. Store Manager

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Dollar General full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Have the opportunity to build relationships with employees, vendors and for the most part deal with great customers

Cons

60 hr work week, work alone allot of mornings, work every weekend, allot of lifting, never enough time in the day to get things done, not enough labor hours, minimum support from DM, to long of a process when wanting to terminate employees-By far the worse company I've for, corporate definitely does not appreciate employees!!

Overworked, Underpaid. Experience relies heavily on management.

Former Employee - Lead Sales Associate in Fortville, IN
    Former Employee - Lead Sales Associate in Fortville, IN

I worked at Dollar General part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The manager that hired me was amazing and I enjoyed my cowokers. Things were very organized and even fun at some points. Hours were flexible. I worked in a small town so I saw a lot of the same customers daily. Learned a lot about retail in my time there.

Cons

Management changed halfway through my time there and things went downhill VERY quickly. This is why I say your experience relies heavily on management. The managers are not held to a higher standard and get away with passing their work off to sales associates. They don't clock in and out so they can basically come and go whenever they please and get away with it. I was left alone in the store many times and when I tried to tell my DM about it he took the SM's side without question. Not nearly enough staff. If you work in a busier store like I did, the fact that there are usually only 2 people in the store at once will get tiring very fast. There is not enough time to get everything done. You will not be properly trained but still expected to know how to do everything with little to no help. The pay rate is an absolute joke for what is expected of you. I could go on forever about why you should not work for this company, but I will leave it here.

Advice to Management

Care more about your employees and their opinions. Supervise the store managers more often. Hire an overnight shift to clean and stock.

Showing 15 of 1,926 reviews