Dollar General

2.5
1,068 Reviews

Dollar General Chairman and CEO Rick Dreiling
Rick Dreiling

Pros
  • The company is growing at an impressive rate and has aggressive growth plans (in 24 reviews)

• And the one I work at was close to home, so I enjoyed walking to work (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • for a part time associate you have plenty of work life balance (in 42 reviews)

• Store managers receive absolutely no direction or support from their District Managers (in 75 reviews)

More Highlights

75 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

A world class organization with a genuine conviction for Serving Others

Current Employee - Store Development Professional in Goodlettsville, TN
    Current Employee - Store Development Professional in Goodlettsville, TN

I have been working at Dollar General full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Working at the Store Support Center in Goodlettsville, the opportunities for growth and advancement are limitless. The organizational structure is flat, with accessible, transparent leaders who truly care about their employees. The people here are more like family than co-workers. Whether you're a high octane self-starter or a consistent contributer, there's a place for you at DG.

Cons

As with any discount retailer, the support staff is very lean and the work load can be overwhelming at times.

Where possible, allow support employees to work remotely from home a few times a month. This option would virtually cost nothing and would be well-received by employees.

Not great

Current Employee - Cashier/Sales Associate in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Cashier/Sales Associate in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Dollar General part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great Co-workers, Allowed to Joke and Play Around, Repeat Customers

Cons

Horrible Management, Low Pay, Difficult to Achieve a Steady Work-Life Balance

Check in on the store managers at consistently problematic stores, because its the managers' fault.

Not appreciated by upper management

Current Employee - Manager in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Manager in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Dollar General full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great benefits and the company use to be a great place to work. But those days are over.

Cons

No work life balance. Employees are talked down to on a daily basis by upper management

Listen to your store teams be involved do not just listen to the DVPs.

Good Company, Very Lean Organization

Current Employee - IT Manager in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - IT Manager in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Dollar General full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The people who work there, the amazing cafeteria, and their wellness center.

Cons

Way too much micro-management. Project planning procedures are in place, but not followed because there is not enough staff to put out the fires that occur. The company manages to work through these issues, but sometimes at the expense of their employees.

Spend some money and use the tools that were created to make projects more organized and on time!

Going places....

Current Employee - Business Professional in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Business Professional in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Dollar General full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Lots of store growth and career opportunities for anyone willing to roll up their sleeves. Caring, friendly employees. Stable and strong business. Great to shop too as the store has everything I need at home.

Cons

Nothing that doesnt happen everywhere else you work. What is different here is the company gives you a voice and cares about how employees feel.

Keep addign stores and promoting people

Amazing company with an incredible opportunity to grow your career!

Current Employee - Human Resources Representative in Goodlettsville, TN
    Current Employee - Human Resources Representative in Goodlettsville, TN

I have been working at Dollar General full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Leadership is supportive and inspiring. The culture is energizing, the people are collaborative, friendly, supportive, everyone is working hard towards the same goal. The company is growing at an impressive rate and has aggressive growth plans. Excellent opportunity to join the team, learn the business, earn your stripes and take your career as far as you want.

Cons

Not really a con, like most companies, if you want a long term career, you’ll need to be ready to work really hard and contribute.

Keep communicating with your teams and caring about their success. It’s amazing with how large the organization is to get as much hands on support and training as you give. Thank you!

Passion about DG customers

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Goodlettsville, TN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Goodlettsville, TN

I have been working at Dollar General full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

This company is very focused on what our core customer wants and, more so, needs. You just need to hear Senior Director of marketing, Angela Martin, talk about our core customer(s) to know how passionate DG is about her.

Fantastic upward potential.

Cons

The lean operating model that Dollar General uses (which is what helps us keep our prices so slow) also means more work per employee than other retailers - store level and corporate.

Stay focused, keep up the good work.

Horrible

Former Employee - Cashier Turned Third Key in La Vergne, TN
    Former Employee - Cashier Turned Third Key in La Vergne, TN

I worked at Dollar General part-time (less than an year)

Pros

No drug test to get it, other than that, absolutely nothing

Cons

I worked there for four months as a general employee, and I could see all of the management together like a gaggle of geese. I was left unattended as the only cashier, unable to call for back up many times, and getting the blunt fore of angry customers (we were the largest in the area). I got a promotion, and I thought I could help change how they had run things. My employees adored me over the others, because when they needed help, I was RIGHT there. I began dealing with major family issues, mother dying, father relapsing from the stress, both my brothers in jail, and I was the only one there for them to keep them through it. I was running low on fumes and fell asleep outside during a smoke break. I woke up dizzy, sick, and confused, like most people sleep deprived and I told the other manager on duty I had to go home or I was going to faint. She, who was a butt-buddy to the main boss there, texted her that I was leaving and then told me I had to call her. Then I got fired, with a long rant about how horrible of an employee I am.

I do not care that I went into detail, I don't are that they read this and know exactly who I am. The truth is that they are all the misfits from High School coming together and making things hard for those girls who were prettier or smarter than themselves. All these times I was told by them 'I wish I still had my mother, do what you gotta do' and I follow that advice, happy that they understand, and suddenly I was 'Faking it all for attention'. They gossip on other employees and say horribly mean things, things that I have heard just by standing on the other side of an aisle. Immaturity at its finest.

Rant end.

DO NOT WORK FOR DOLLAR GENERAL. Since I was fired, Everyone I've mentioned the job to them, they've all had similar situations.

Plus I was supposed to work 20 hrs a week, and they had me at 30 or more, when I needed that time off work to help my mother(a situation I told them about at my interview).

Grow up

A company that is starting to grow too fast that if not fixed will have its foundation crumble.

Current Employee - General Manager in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - General Manager in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Dollar General full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Lots of room for personal growth as the company is growing by leaps and bounds,total organization has drastically improved.no perks!

Cons

not able to control payroll.constantly asking all stores to cut back labor because some managers go way over .deliveries from dot is bad about giving you what belongs to you.

hold your managers accountable!cut their labor when they go over,not everyone else.they are robbing a well ran store's hours that their employees need to live on and giving it to a store that isnt being ran right.Find a way for dot deliveries to be made better to insure that the right product is getting to the right store and quit blaming the mangers for the shrink from this,it's a lot more than you think.

Csr clerk

Former Employee - Clerk in Goodlettsville, TN
    Former Employee - Clerk in Goodlettsville, TN

I worked at Dollar General part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Friendly coworkers and management, good pay for the work, i enjoyed my short time there

Cons

I was a temp for 6 months, didnt get hited ft, wasnt given a reason, was given good work reviews and raises, only a few others got ft, i later saw a news story they often hire temps to avoid paying benefits , i was scammed,