Dollar General

Dollar General Reviews

Updated Jul 7, 2014

Dollar General Chairman and CEO Rick Dreiling

Rick Dreiling

Pros:
  • "You will like most of your customers, as it is a neighborhood store, and you will be close to home"
    in 12 reviews
  • "Growing Company with good benefits"
    in 21 reviews
Cons:
  • "No work/life balance the stores are too understaffed due to low associate pay"
    in 31 reviews
  • "There was one point in time when we had six store managers walk out in a six week period"
    in 58 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

retaining managers

Store Manager (Current Employee)
    Titusville, FL

Prosthere are allot of things great about working for Dollar General BUT then those things do find a way to get kicked to the curb. Not all things but a very good portion do. Sometimes the feeling of, Damn you do damn you don't.

ConsTime strain to complete all with very very low dollar/labor allowance. the Cause ?Todays economy maybe,

Advice to Senior ManagementAllot of thoughts but not enough room to list

Depends on who you work with and store location

Sales Associate (Former Employee)
    San Antonio, TX

Pros-You get paid. This can hold you over while you look for better work, or you can try to be a manager.
    -You don't have to work outside in the heat or in the cold. The buildings temperature is controlled by corporate and stays around 75-85 degrees.
    -If you work at a store location that doesn't have a high volume of customers, your job can be somewhat laid back.

Cons-The only place to move up in the company that is somewhat accessible is to be the store manager. There are special teams and district managers, but these positions are rarely up for grabs. You have to "know somebody".
    -Dealing with angry customers and thieves.
    -You don't get a lot of dependable people at these kinds of jobs so if you are dependable you get called in A LOT on your scheduled time off.
    -Corporate always wants more out of you for less time. You have to just do what you can do and not stress.
    -Worked all holidays (except Christmas day).

Don't let me scare you with all these cons. The job is okay if you can talk to people. It's just not a "dream job".

Advice to Senior ManagementAfter I graduated from a four year university, I worked for Dollar General for over a year. I was dependable, hard working, and covered other persons shift 30+ times. I lived for that store. What I was hoping for was a chance to get on the corporate side. However, I couldn't get any returned phone calls, e-mails, nothing from corporate or my district manager. This company just wants you to be a stupid worker ant. It's a big army of worker ants. Graduates - don't try to work your way up in this company. They don't care if you're smart or not, they just want you to run register and stock cans. Go elsewhere.

Easy opportunities

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThere are flexible scheduling hours

ConsUnderstaffed on an everyday basis

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

DG

Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee)
    Holdenville, OK

ProsEveryone is really friendly and wants you to cover for them.

ConsThe minimum wage is really really minimum. And it's part time only. Even when you're taking extra shifts, you barely get paid anything.

Dollar General Distribution Center

Ardmore, OK

Prosgood pay, benefits, retirement, holiday pay, some supervisors can be very good to work for, overtime is always available

ConsVery inefficient in their product placement causing the work to be harder and longer than it has to be. The company itself is showing less appreciation for their dedicated employees making it harder to want to stay with the company. There is no appreciation for a job well done. There are very few opportunities for advancement in the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementYour company standards for production are so tight it is hard to meet expectations. Seasoned workers find it difficult, so when you have new people come in, it feels impossible to meet your standards. Learn to say Thank you. Show more appreciation for the workers that have been there for years instead of taking them for granted.

I loved it and would go back in a heartbeat!

Cashier/Keyholder (Former Employee)
    Columbia, SC

ProsIt was a clean work environment with friendly people and I believed in the products I was selling.

ConsThey could offer more beneits

Good Company

Goodlettsville, TN

ProsPleasant work environment, strong emphasis on mission and providing value to end customer, sharp executive leadership, great work atmosphere, many non-monetary benefits and perks*.

ConsBase compensation is a sub-par and some perks leadership feels offset this do not apply to all. Hard work is recognized by leadership, but not always rewarded appropriately.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in promising employees. Stop trying to get A+ talent at bargain salaries. Not recognizing the value they bring has led many sharp people to leave for better opportunities at companies who recognize their worth.

A Good Company with a Few Bad Apples

ProsThe best thing about working for Dollar General is the people. Most people there are hard working and well-intentioned, which makes it a pleasure to go to work daily.

ConsOne of the biggest challenges of working for Dollar General is there are some incompetent people in key positions. Unfortunately, Dollar General is slow to "see" how devastating incompetent people are to the workplace. This leads to increased workload, low morale, and turnover of good, competent people.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay attention to the frontline competent employees who carry the workload and reward them appropriately with promotions, salary increases, etc. Get rid of the incompetent people in a more timely manner.

People don't work for companies, they work for the people in charge of their store.

Lead Sales Associate (Former Employee)

ProsThe manager of the store is the only reason I stayed with the store as long as I did. She is over worked just because she is limited payroll for her employees. She was not one to sit in the office and worked side by side with everyone.

ConsIt takes every last one of the employees to keep the store up and running in the manner that Corp. wants. They (corp.) push changes made in the store with limited payroll for employees which affects the customer service.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou stress good customer service but short change the payroll to make a few bucks. Pay your Managers and Key holders a decent pay!

Empowering environment where the growth potential is endless!

ProsDollar General truly believes in empowering each individual to their fullest potential. Their training succession programs are impressive. They have a different training program designed for each position in the company. If an employee has the ability and desire to learn, there is a path for them at Dollar General.

ConsDollar General is a very fast paced environment and asks that each employee in the company be the very best that they can be. While this is what I love about Dollar General, I can see where the challenge might not be for everyone.

Worked for Dollar General? Contribute to the Community!

Dollar General Videos

Dollar General – Why Work for Us?

Dollar General is an exciting place these days. Not only is the shopping experience the best it has ever been, our rapid growth has created tremendous career opportunities throughout the company. DG employees find… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Dollar General reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Dollar General CEO Rick Dreiling. All 891 reviews posted anonymously by Dollar General employees.