Dollar General

Updated August 19, 2014

2.6

Dollar General Chairman and CEO Rick Dreiling
Rick Dreiling

Pros
  • You will like most of your customers, as it is a neighborhood store, and you will be close to home (in 13 reviews)

• Friendly leadership, good benefits with a lot of employee recognition (in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • No work/life balance the stores are too understaffed due to low associate pay (in 34 reviews)

• There was one point in time when we had six store managers walk out in a six week period (in 64 reviews)

More Highlights

Advancement Opportunities!!

Current Employee - Store Manager  in  Maumelle, AR
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Maumelle, AR

Pros

I have been with Dollar General for almost 3 years now. I applied to 5 different stores before someone finally hired me. I started as a part time sales associate. After 2 weeks I became a Lead Associate, a month after that I was promoted to Assistant Manager, and a month after that I became a SMC. After 6 months at SMC I became a Store Manager. At my 2 year mark I started a Temp DM postion. This company recognizes talent and promotes from within! I would recommend coming aboard the DG family to everyone!!

Cons

Haven't found any cons yet!!

Pleasant Experience

Pros

Store manager worked with my schedule for school and days needed off.

Cons

Constantly denied well-deserved promotions for others who did not have the same qualifications.

Good job very long hours. The people are fun to work with and are a great team.

Current Employee - Store Manager
    Current Employee - Store Manager

Pros

Job security. Good benefits. Great teaching opportunity at any level to learn retail .

Cons

Very long hours for. Management

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Amazing company with an incredible opportunity to grow your career!

Current Employee - Human Resources Representative  in  Goodlettsville, TN
    Current Employee - Human Resources Representative in Goodlettsville, TN

Pros

Leadership is supportive and inspiring. The culture is energizing, the people are collaborative, friendly, supportive, everyone is working hard towards the same goal. The company is growing at an impressive rate and has aggressive growth plans. Excellent opportunity to join the team, learn the business, earn your stripes and take your career as far as you want.

Cons

Not really a con, like most companies, if you want a long term career, you’ll need to be ready to work really hard and contribute.

Keep communicating with your teams and caring about their success. It’s amazing with how large the organization is to get as much hands on support and training as you give. Thank you!

I loved working there but strict cashier overages or under till rules

Current Employee - Cashier  in  Owensville, OH
    Current Employee - Cashier in Owensville, OH

Pros

flexible hours, if a smoker can take frequent smoke breaks friendly management

Cons

not enough training have to self learn a lot, If honestly off on your register and even have proof on camera and are willing to pay out of your own pocket to make the till right even with no write ups you will be fired

Keep loyal hard working hones team members who are dependable the chance to make a register mistake right

This company is not for everybody.

Former Employee - Store Manager  in  Memphis, TN
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Memphis, TN

Pros

The weekly truck comes already organized according to departments.

Cons

You always have resets to do plus putting out your truck. Its a lot to taken on with little payroll.

Allow Store Managers to run the store and don't make them feel unappreciated.

Passion about DG customers

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Goodlettsville, TN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Goodlettsville, TN

Pros

This company is very focused on what our core customer wants and, more so, needs. You just need to hear Senior Director of marketing, Angela Martin, talk about our core customer(s) to know how passionate DG is about her.

Fantastic upward potential.

Cons

The lean operating model that Dollar General uses (which is what helps us keep our prices so slow) also means more work per employee than other retailers - store level and corporate.

Stay focused, keep up the good work.

Going places....

Current Employee - Business Professional  in  Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Business Professional in Nashville, TN

Pros

Lots of store growth and career opportunities for anyone willing to roll up their sleeves. Caring, friendly employees. Stable and strong business. Great to shop too as the store has everything I need at home.

Cons

Nothing that doesnt happen everywhere else you work. What is different here is the company gives you a voice and cares about how employees feel.

Keep addign stores and promoting people

Best ever

Pros

Good managers that care about employees good wages good benefits I love it there and I moved up twice

Cons

Long drive and people laugh at me sometimes I like the environment and the work culture but I feel I get no respect at my job give me more hours

Pay more

Endless Opportunity!

Current Employee - Director
    Current Employee - Director

Pros

Dollar General is a fast growing company that is surrounded by smart and talented leadership team, who has delivered record breaking numbers. DG has had 24 straight years of same stores sales growth, and embodies a family culture that makes work a fun and excited place to be!

Cons

Continue to focus on work simplification.

Continue to be transparent with the growth strategies as everyone is excited to continue to be part of the Dollar General company!

Worked for Dollar General? Contribute to the Community!