Dollar General

2.5
1,012 Reviews

Dollar General Chairman and CEO Rick Dreiling
Rick Dreiling

Pros
  • You will like most of your customers, as it is a neighborhood store, and you will be close to home (in 13 reviews)

• Friendly leadership, good benefits with a lot of employee recognition (in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • No work/life balance the stores are too understaffed due to low associate pay (in 34 reviews)

• There was one point in time when we had six store managers walk out in a six week period (in 64 reviews)

More Highlights

6 Month's and totally blown away!

Current Employee - Key Holder
    Current Employee - Key Holder

I have been working at Dollar General full-time for less than a year

Pros

I've worked for DG since Feb this year, after relocating to another town I needed a job with better hours and closer to home and, man did i find it! Within the past 6 month's ive gone from just a basic Associate, to a key holder and traveling to different stores to assist them with various task. My expenses are covered and the hotel rooms are always nice as well, this is a company that will take care of those who go above and beyond.

it's not for everyone, but if you can start from the bottom and throw freight like a beast, your sure to get your DM to notice, every store has only about 8 employees, so keeping your head down and nose clean helps too.

Cons

It takes forever for them to fire the slackers, especially due to regulations... and when you have only 8 people per store, it tends to impact the way things flow and the personal lives of everyone who works there....other than that I love it!

My store runs so smoothly because we operate like a close knitted family, there is no disrespect, no ego contest, we all try our hardest to pick up the slack from one another... My advice would be, if you hire a slacker fire them ASAP, and if you hire personal friends, make sure they pull their weight and don't expect special treatment because all it will get you is fired in the long run.

great and wonderful company to wok with

Current Employee - Store Manager  in  Arvada, CO
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Arvada, CO

I have been working at Dollar General full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

get to work with awesome upper mangerment, people that really care about you as a person

Cons

not enough payroll dollars given for the work

The manager Whom I was hired under was very cooperative with working with me and my scheduling issues.

Current Employee - Assistant Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager

I have been working at Dollar General full-time for more than a year

Pros

I love to work in a busy atmosphere around customers and employees I enjoy!

Cons

The job is busy, demanding and the turnover rate is high

More time in interviews with those individuals whom are considered hireable and let them be fully trained before becoming overwhelmed

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great company to work for

Current Employee - Training Store Manager  in  Dillon, SC
    Current Employee - Training Store Manager in Dillon, SC

I have been working at Dollar General full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great pay, room for progressing with the company

Cons

Nothing bad to say about the company

Okay

I worked at Dollar General

Pros

Steady pay check. Tuition reimbursement

Cons

A lot of new supervisors that does not know what they are doing

Listen to the employees that have been there a while.

Your experience greatly depends on who your manager is

Former Employee - Assistant Manager
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager

I worked at Dollar General full-time for more than a year

Pros

I was the assistant manager at one of the Dollar General stores for a little over a year. There is lots of opportunities for advancement, and promoting within. The work is a bit physically demanding, but it isn't a difficult job. One of my favorite things about DG was getting paid weekly.

Cons

As my title alludes, your manager could make your life a living hell. The way things got at my store, I was working six days a week, and would often get called in on my one off day. We would often get yelled at by our power tripping manager. That being said, not every store is like that. Just be wary.

I am so happy to be with a company that is celebrating 75th anniversary

Current Employee - Human Resources Representative II-FIELD RECRUITING
    Current Employee - Human Resources Representative II-FIELD RECRUITING

I have been working at Dollar General full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

I work with co-workers who are the best team players possible they make work fun and enjoyable! Dollar General gives me the opportunity to learn, grow, and be recognized for everything I do; to serve the managers I support.

Cons

Retail high turnover, Texas good economy

Great when your not alone

Current Employee - Store Manager  in  Spring Hill, FL
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Spring Hill, FL

I have been working at Dollar General full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

As a store manager there's a multitude of different tasks you get to do, I enjoy working for the company and they treat the store managers well

Cons

Dealing with payroll cuts, not having loss prevention in stores, not having a enough cameras in the store, outdated registers that freeze up

Try to get newer updated registers, spend more time in career development with the store managers , get to know the associates and other managers in the building a simple thank you is better then explaining the shortfalls of the team

A job not a career.

Former Employee - Third Key  in  Terre Haute, IN
    Former Employee - Third Key in Terre Haute, IN

I worked at Dollar General full-time for more than a year

Pros

If you are lucky enough to find a "working" manager at DG it can be very rewarding. But your ability to enjoy your job will be measured by just that.

Cons

Customer service is not as important as it should be, or needs to be. They have the cashiers stocking the shelves and then running to the register when a customer is waiting there.

Be more customer focused. I understand rolltainers need to be unloaded and shelves stocked, but you love hiring past Walmart micro managers. They are not customer focused, and do not have that "retail walk" necessary for the physical aspects of the job. Have you heard the term "only as good as your weakest link?" I find the majority of the time your GM's are their own weakest link.

Good Company, Very Lean Organization

Current Employee - IT Manager  in  Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - IT Manager in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Dollar General full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The people who work there, the amazing cafeteria, and their wellness center.

Cons

Way too much micro-management. Project planning procedures are in place, but not followed because there is not enough staff to put out the fires that occur. The company manages to work through these issues, but sometimes at the expense of their employees.

Spend some money and use the tools that were created to make projects more organized and on time!

Worked for Dollar General? Contribute to the Community!