Dollar General

2.5
1,168 Reviews

Dollar General Chairman and CEO Rick Dreiling
Rick Dreiling

Pros
  • And the one I work at was close to home, so I enjoyed walking to work (in 17 reviews)

• you'll be managing your own store in less than a year even if you start on part time with no experience (in 23 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/Life balance is unheard of: Store Managers work a mandatory 6 day, 48 hour work week (in 49 reviews)

• Store managers receive absolutely no direction or support from their District Managers (in 79 reviews)

More Highlights

Sales Associate

I have been working at Dollar General

Pros

The regular customers who turn into friends and my awesome boss Rebecca Hubbard!��

Cons

Mean customers are the only bad part.

Need stronger bags. I always have to double bag everything.

My experience has been wonderful!

Current Employee - Key Carrier in Auxvasse, MO
    Current Employee - Key Carrier in Auxvasse, MO

I have been working at Dollar General part-time (less than an year)

Pros

I have been with Dollar General for less than two month and have been promoted to Key Carrier! Promotions happen sooner than a lot of people would think it does! So glad to have only been working there for a couple of months because I have finally found some place that I can Progress in quickly!

Cons

Don't really have any Cons, i have mostly Pros for working at Dollar General.

My Advice for upper Management is that there could be if possible more organization in the receiving room.

I love the new store that I work at, its clean with more products to choose from.

Current Employee - Stocker/Cashier in Monroe, LA
    Current Employee - Stocker/Cashier in Monroe, LA

I have been working at Dollar General

Pros

The team at the store

Cons

Rude customers, shoplifters and the liars that can't admit the truth.

I love my job.

Opportunity for advancement.

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in New Castle, PA
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in New Castle, PA

I have been working at Dollar General full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I have worked at stores that are in small communities with lots of regular customers that you get to know well. I moved up to LSA within my first month, with no prior retail experience, and after a little over a year was promoted to ASM.

Cons

Starting wages are low compared to the expected work load. Some stores are not budgeted enough hours to complete the work load. Especially high volume stores.

Do away with the process of 'pennying' items. It's a no-win situation for a store that gets caught with penny items. Just mark them as do not sell. This will also eliminate the overflow of customers who only shop for penny items and never spend a full dollar at DG. These people are, most often, reselling DG products at flea markets at full price and making a profit that should be going to the store.

This is a great company to work for!!!

Current Employee - District Manager in Tupelo, MS
    Current Employee - District Manager in Tupelo, MS

I have been working at Dollar General

Pros

There is tremendous growth opportunity and very quickly. The salary is great and definitely compliments the work load. The management has always been extremely easy to work with and takes the time to ensure you are trained. This company really takes care of you and makes sure you can succeed.

Cons

Work-life balance can be challenging if you don't manage you time very efficiently.

Loving it

Current Employee - Lead Associate Manager 4th Key in Kittanning, PA
    Current Employee - Lead Associate Manager 4th Key in Kittanning, PA

I have been working at Dollar General full-time (less than an year)

Pros

great company they do take care of us. Normal week is easy to get though, fun loving co-workers Planagrams are easy to understand and follow.

Cons

Sometimes wonder why higher ups think it is easy to deal with cusmoters that are not happy and we at store level an cannot do anything but say no

Come out and work with the store level employees to see what they have to put up with the customers and here their response and what can help.

Amazing company that truly values their employees & customers.

Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Goodlettsville, TN
    Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Goodlettsville, TN

I have been working at Dollar General full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Long-term career growth opportunity. Values employee's work/life balance. Great company culture that focuses on giving back to the community.

Cons

Expensive health insurance package with limited coverage.

Not great

I worked at Dollar General

Pros

They worked with me on my schedule pretty good after I had been there a while.

Cons

Really Hard to advance there

Awful

So far it's a great place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Erie, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Erie, PA

I have been working at Dollar General full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Very quick advancement, I started as a lead sales associate in September, I was asked just a couple weeks later if I would like to be a store manager candidate. A few weeks after that they had me taking over my own store.

Lots of hours for management, So much work to do make the 48-50 hours fly by very fast.

I really enjoy working with all of my employees and working around their schedules to make my store schedule.

I also enjoy that no day is ever the same. One day I will be throwing freight, the next I may be running register, and the next I may be setting plan-o-grams. Never a dull moment there is always something to be done.

Cons

Just wish they would stop cutting the hours I'm allowed to schedule. It's hard to run a business on such low hours.

Lots of theft in my store.

Allow us to have more hours on our schedules it is very stressful to not have the coverage I need when we get busy or when there is a lot of freight to work.

Wish there was something I could do about the amount of theft in my store. More cameras or maybe a secret shopper.

My experience has been that, overall, Dollar General is a great place to work.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Goodlettsville, TN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Goodlettsville, TN

I have been working at Dollar General full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Dollar General still maintains it's familial atmosphere despite it's dramatic growth. The corporate headquarters is very nice with on-site childcare, gym, cafeteria (with quality and varied selections) and covered parking. The compensation package in my area is competitive and the 401K match is nice at 5%. Management is approachable and seemingly open. Work life balance ranges from average to excellent depending on your manager and department, but I believe the company works to improve this. Diversity and various employee groups (Women Professionals, Young Professionals, etc.) is front and center if you are interested in these things. Each of my managers, past and present, have been very good to work for and try to shield their workers from the occasional political madness.

Cons

The old days of large and dependable bonuses appear to have finally been slain by upper-management's ever more lofty targets. Aiming high is expected, but the company has been doing fantastically well and this has been reflected in reverse in our bonuses. The performance measurements and bonuses are a real joke. They are something people groan over each year and likely no more than a source of superfluous work for the departments in charge of them. You can't expect to get a better bonus by being a rock star. Health insurance is quite expensive - though I am ignorant to others in this sector and market. Some areas have poor work-life balance due to overly-aggressive timelines and support hours - but I do believe this is generally being worked on. Really the group and manager you have determines almost everything, but my experience has been very positive.

Merit increases are not an incentive as they are, at best, small. The surrounding goals and performance systems metrics are really useless and considered a waste of time. There should be more flexibility for the managers to reward talent and hard work. Also, our 'team share' bonus has become nearly impossible to reach and has been whittled away while the company is growing like gang-busters.