Dollar General Reviews

Updated August 27, 2014

2.6

Dollar General Chairman and CEO Rick Dreiling
Rick Dreiling

Pros
  • You will like most of your customers, as it is a neighborhood store, and you will be close to home (in 13 reviews)

• Friendly leadership, good benefits with a lot of employee recognition (in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • No work/life balance the stores are too understaffed due to low associate pay (in 34 reviews)

• There was one point in time when we had six store managers walk out in a six week period (in 64 reviews)

More Highlights

I am so happy to be with a company that is celebrating 75th anniversary

Current Employee - Human Resources Representative II-FIELD RECRUITING
    Current Employee - Human Resources Representative II-FIELD RECRUITING

I have been working at Dollar General full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

I work with co-workers who are the best team players possible they make work fun and enjoyable! Dollar General gives me the opportunity to learn, grow, and be recognized for everything I do; to serve the managers I support.

Cons

Retail high turnover, Texas good economy

Amazing company with an incredible opportunity to grow your career!

Current Employee - Human Resources Representative  in  Goodlettsville, TN
    Current Employee - Human Resources Representative in Goodlettsville, TN

I have been working at Dollar General full-time for less than a year

Pros

Leadership is supportive and inspiring. The culture is energizing, the people are collaborative, friendly, supportive, everyone is working hard towards the same goal. The company is growing at an impressive rate and has aggressive growth plans. Excellent opportunity to join the team, learn the business, earn your stripes and take your career as far as you want.

Cons

Not really a con, like most companies, if you want a long term career, you’ll need to be ready to work really hard and contribute.

Keep communicating with your teams and caring about their success. It’s amazing with how large the organization is to get as much hands on support and training as you give. Thank you!

Going places....

Current Employee - Business Professional  in  Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Business Professional in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Dollar General full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Lots of store growth and career opportunities for anyone willing to roll up their sleeves. Caring, friendly employees. Stable and strong business. Great to shop too as the store has everything I need at home.

Cons

Nothing that doesnt happen everywhere else you work. What is different here is the company gives you a voice and cares about how employees feel.

Keep addign stores and promoting people

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Best ever

I have been working at Dollar General

Pros

Good managers that care about employees good wages good benefits I love it there and I moved up twice

Cons

Long drive and people laugh at me sometimes I like the environment and the work culture but I feel I get no respect at my job give me more hours

Pay more

Endless Opportunity!

Current Employee - Director
    Current Employee - Director

I have been working at Dollar General full-time for more than a year

Pros

Dollar General is a fast growing company that is surrounded by smart and talented leadership team, who has delivered record breaking numbers. DG has had 24 straight years of same stores sales growth, and embodies a family culture that makes work a fun and excited place to be!

Cons

Continue to focus on work simplification.

Continue to be transparent with the growth strategies as everyone is excited to continue to be part of the Dollar General company!

Advancement Opportunities!!

Current Employee - Store Manager  in  Maumelle, AR
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Maumelle, AR

I have been working at Dollar General full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I have been with Dollar General for almost 3 years now. I applied to 5 different stores before someone finally hired me. I started as a part time sales associate. After 2 weeks I became a Lead Associate, a month after that I was promoted to Assistant Manager, and a month after that I became a SMC. After 6 months at SMC I became a Store Manager. At my 2 year mark I started a Temp DM postion. This company recognizes talent and promotes from within! I would recommend coming aboard the DG family to everyone!!

Cons

Haven't found any cons yet!!

Empowering environment where the growth potential is endless!

I have been working at Dollar General

Pros

Dollar General truly believes in empowering each individual to their fullest potential. Their training succession programs are impressive. They have a different training program designed for each position in the company. If an employee has the ability and desire to learn, there is a path for them at Dollar General.

Cons

Dollar General is a very fast paced environment and asks that each employee in the company be the very best that they can be. While this is what I love about Dollar General, I can see where the challenge might not be for everyone.

I loved it and would go back in a heartbeat!

Former Employee - Cashier/Keyholder  in  Columbia, SC
    Former Employee - Cashier/Keyholder in Columbia, SC

I worked at Dollar General full-time for more than a year

Pros

It was a clean work environment with friendly people and I believed in the products I was selling.

Cons

They could offer more beneits

Great co workers

Current Employee - Cashier/Sales Associate  in  Seymour, TN
    Current Employee - Cashier/Sales Associate in Seymour, TN

I have been working at Dollar General part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great people to work with.

Cons

Pay is low, hours are bad, computers are slow, and the management doesn't higher that much help. I wouldn't suggest making a career out of it.

Wake up, and higher store managers who know what they are doing. I have worked with about 4 different store managers ever since I started working at DGM four years ago. And each one had some major flaws. The first one was lazy, but he cared about his employees and the customers. The one we have know is more serious about making sales, but he doesn't care about his employees or the customers at all. Actually most of the customers complain about how cold and dry he is. I could go on but I think you get it.

I Loved the job I had until I moved to Yuma Az. Me and the store manager didn't get along that well.

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager  in  Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at Dollar General full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The company will work with your needs and the employees do work well together.

Cons

And some of the Manager are not team players , some of the work is not shared equally among each others.

The DM's should listen to the employees instead of going back to the store manager and telling them what was said about them but all the DM's are not like this.

Worked for Dollar General? Contribute to the Community!