Dollar General

2.5
1,168 Reviews

Dollar General Chairman and CEO Rick Dreiling
Rick Dreiling

Pros
  • And the one I work at was close to home, so I enjoyed walking to work (in 17 reviews)

• you'll be managing your own store in less than a year even if you start on part time with no experience (in 23 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/Life balance is unheard of: Store Managers work a mandatory 6 day, 48 hour work week (in 49 reviews)

• Store managers receive absolutely no direction or support from their District Managers (in 79 reviews)

More Highlights

Regional Loss prevention Manager

Current Employee - Regional Loss Prevention
    Current Employee - Regional Loss Prevention

I have been working at Dollar General full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Have opportunity for advancement as company grow.

Cons

Company have lots of issue when it comes to consistency in the work place. Only way to get promotion is when you buddy up with someone at corporate office. They are not performance base company even if the claim to be. They stop caring about their employees since they start growing so fast. Abusing their store managers and district managers for the amount of hours they work and little pay they get.there is no work life balance with this company

Start caring for your employee at store level and stop just taking regional director word and go see for yourself what these people are facing

Needs a make over

Current Employee - Cashier/Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Cashier/Sales Associate

I have been working at Dollar General full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I love love love my boss she is awesome very understanding fairly young shes 30 and is very cool but also knows when its time to crack down and get on you to make sure work is done.
    Pay is weekly which i love

Cons

Always changing DMs
    No employee discount - we already get paid horrible its sad when me and my boss and other co workers are flinching at the card machine wondering what the total is and silently praying our cards arent declined. We all have 2nd or even 3rd jobs because DG doesnt pay that great. 7.25 is not enough for any one to live off of.
    Dont get paid enough for BS we have to put up with
    The DMs and RMs even say that the cameras arent for the customers who are stealing its to catch the workers like yea sure that really makes me want to work here

Raise pay to atleast 8/hr its more reasonable
    Give over time
    Learn to trust your employees

The DM gives you a store, and you're on your own.

Former Employee - Store Manager
    Former Employee - Store Manager

I worked at Dollar General full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Most of the customers are cordial, I really enjoyed the majority of my coworkers, the amount of work the company gives you, is alot, but it can be done IF you have a STRONG asm, and Lsa. If the company would be consistent as a whole and have Driveline come in and do all of the resets it would free up time, for the managers to focus on other things. The bonus program is one of the best I've seen out there, the training in Raleigh is good information. I had one of the worse experiences in the store training, I was being trained by a person that had only been with the company for 3 years and before that never worked in a retail environment. This Person Was One Of THE TRAINING Managers BUT DIDN'T REALLY KNOW ANYTHING, AND Did very dishonest things in the store. And had only been a store manager for 8 months before I was hired.

Cons

You GET overworked, It's Way too difficult To Get Rid Of A Weak Link In Your Store If You Need to, The DM should back you if you say " this person needs to go," there just a waste of payroll I could be using elsewhere.

When you find GOOD managers, be there for them, not hold there hands and baby them, but answer your phone when you're needed.
    When you know you have a great manager keep HER happy.

Keyholder

Former Employee - Key Holder
    Former Employee - Key Holder

I worked at Dollar General part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Easy, simple work. Friendly coworkers. Extremely easy to move up in the company.

Cons

Company is very disorganized, the pay rate increase with a promotion is unsubstantial. The hours worked vary from 15 hours a week to 40 hours and schedules are switched without notice.

Sales Associate

I have been working at Dollar General

Pros

The regular customers who turn into friends and my awesome boss Rebecca Hubbard!��

Cons

Mean customers are the only bad part.

Need stronger bags. I always have to double bag everything.

Dollar General Distribution Center

Former Employee - General Warehouse in Marion, IN
    Former Employee - General Warehouse in Marion, IN

I worked at Dollar General

Pros

While working at DG I found very little pros during my 7 months of employment. Yes they have paid holidays and you are eligible for paid holidays from your start date.

Cons

The only holidays you don't actually work are Christmas and Thanksgiving. All other holidays you work and they let you take scheduled paid time off at a later date. The worst thing about working at DG Distribution Center is the work itself. It is very fast paced and involves heavy lifting as well as an unreasonable rate system which tracks how fast you are working. If you don't make rate they will fire you after so many "write ups," It is hard to describe in words, the stress this place puts on your body. The more you do the more work they pile on you, without regard to possible and frequent injuries of employees. By far the worst factory/ warehouse work I have ever done.

Don't expect anything out of your underlings you wouldn't or couldn't do yourself.

I worked to help with new store set-up and customer service.

I worked at Dollar General

Pros

Good work enviroment just not enough training for new hires.

Cons

They do not pay well and limited benefits.

More training time and higher wages for those with experience.

Store Manager

Current Employee - Retail Store Manager in Jonesboro, AR
    Current Employee - Retail Store Manager in Jonesboro, AR

I have been working at Dollar General

Pros

None at all over worked under paid

Cons

There has to be a pro to be a con

if you want to work hard for noting in return and end up making pennys in a dollar this is the job for you

Decent

I have been working at Dollar General

Pros

The job tasks are fairly easy.

Cons

The raise in pay for key holders is not much to be worth it. The tasks they ask you to do are hard because of not being able to see your register.

Not as i expected

Former Employee - Lead Sales Associate in Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Lead Sales Associate in Baltimore, MD

I worked at Dollar General

Pros

I met a lot of good people and that is the only thing i take from this company.

Cons

Poor upper management skills, not following through with their word. Lot of confusion of what to do, with no directions.