Dollar General

2.5
1,063 Reviews

Dollar General Chairman and CEO Rick Dreiling
Rick Dreiling

Pros
  • The company is growing at an impressive rate and has aggressive growth plans (in 24 reviews)

• You will like most of your customers, as it is a neighborhood store, and you will be close to home (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • for a part time associate you have plenty of work life balance (in 42 reviews)

• Store managers receive absolutely no direction or support from their District Managers (in 75 reviews)

More Highlights

A Job

Former Employee - Retail Store Manager in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Retail Store Manager in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Dollar General full-time (more than an year)

Pros

It is a job. Can be a fun job if you have the right employees. Many of your customers are very nice, neighborhood store s.

Cons

High turnover rate, hard to attract any trained talent due to low pay, management is expected to work to make up for lack of payroll.Unappreciated

Check to see what middle management is doing especially in high areas of turnover

Horrible

Former Employee - Cashier/Sales Associate in New Carlisle, OH
    Former Employee - Cashier/Sales Associate in New Carlisle, OH

I worked at Dollar General part-time (less than an year)

Pros

The best thing was getting a weekly paycheck. And the one I work at was close to home, so I enjoyed walking to work.

Cons

Where do I begin! Very little pay like 7:95 an hour to be exact. Very little hours 10 hours a week or less to be exact! For a month straight I only got paid $60.00 a week.

If you're going to pay minimum wage; at least give your employees some hours!

Cashier

I have been working at Dollar General part-time

Pros

Fellow co workers are nice, seems it may be easy to move up but not enough pay initially to invest enough of your time trying to advance. Feels like a small family.

Cons

Not enough money to live on. Best as a second job. Usually barebones staffing. You have to clean the bathroom that they let customers use. No employee discount.

Staff more associates. The bathrooms shouldn't be public. Consider giving employees a discount. Pay more. Many of my co workers rely on public assistance.

Do not work here.

Former Employee - Store Manager in Cleveland, OH
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Cleveland, OH

I worked at Dollar General full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

There are no pro's. This company is horrible to work for.

Cons

Horrible pay. Horrible hours. Always short staffed. And good luck getting help. Trucks are out of control.

Do not go here. Go elsewhere.

You will learn a lot about working in retail, but will end up hating your life and people.

Former Employee - Lead Sales Associate in Pelham, AL
    Former Employee - Lead Sales Associate in Pelham, AL

I worked at Dollar General part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

paid weekly, most coworkers will become life long friends, learn a lot of valuable skills that will translate to better jobs

Cons

There are way to many to name; the words, "personal life", become a foreign language, you feel horrible about yourself because no matter how hard you work, nothing you do is ever good enough, your faith in humanity is destroyed by having to deal with rude and idiotic customers, you will have a crew of 2 or 3 people but be expected to do the work of seven or you will have a crew of 7 but only have enough hours for 2 or 3 and still have to get all the work done along with 4 people who are complaining about hours. Finally, you end up waking in the morning and dreading getting up because you are so miserable working for this company.

pull your heads out of your butts and realize your employees are people, not robots. Also, stop with your hunger games-esque saying, " Thank you for every you do", you people don't care about us, all you care about is the company making money. Give these stores the proper payroll, well trained employees and then your company won't be one of the worst companies to work for.

I am working half of part time at Dollar General as a Sales Associate/Cashier

Current Employee - Cashier/Sales Associate in Kellyville, OK
    Current Employee - Cashier/Sales Associate in Kellyville, OK

I have been working at Dollar General part-time (less than an year)

Pros

The pros, I am making more than I was unemployed.

Cons

Some challenges of working here are being that I never have more than 25 hours in a week, last week was 12.5, the manager knows that my husband is disabled and cannot work, and that we have two kids to support, yet she is giving the new girl that just started 18 hours.... hello, what is wrong with this picture.

My advice to upper management is to get rid of the managers that are causing the store to go under. We work our butts off for no benefits, not even an employee discount. Horrible place to work for. The only thing that makes it good is the customers that I have come to like and visa verso.

Overall a good experience but there are too few hours and not enough money

I have been working at Dollar General

Pros

Nice people to work with and an easy job the days don't drag on for to long and there is adequate time for breaks

Cons

Equipment failure happens often, and you need a manager to do basically anything at the register, cashiers have little control

Not a bad job but there is room for improvement keep it up

Good job to start our with, but no long term position

I worked at Dollar General

Pros

Small scale store with good bonus potential

Cons

Poor working conditions with as few as two people in the store!

GIVE THE STORE MANAGER MORE BUDGET HOURS, INCREASE MGMT PAY, CONSIDER SECURITY FOR FIRST TWO AND LAST TWO HOURS OF OPERATIONS IN SOME LOCATIONS

The worst company I've ever worked for.

Former Employee - Store Manager Candidate in Monticello, MS
    Former Employee - Store Manager Candidate in Monticello, MS

I worked at Dollar General full-time (less than an year)

Pros

This job is never boring.

Cons

Dollar General doesn't try their employees right. DM is overworked; managers are very under paid.

Learn how to treat your employees.

DG needs improving within the whole company.

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Waxahachie, TX
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Waxahachie, TX

I worked at Dollar General full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Sales associates are some of the best best to work with in the world.

Cons

Management leaves something to be desired. No room for advancement or to take pride in working for the store.

When employees know what needs to be done, do not tell them this is not your store we work for Dollar General.