Dollar General

Dollar General Reviews

Updated Jul 21, 2014

Dollar General Chairman and CEO Rick Dreiling

Rick Dreiling

Pros
  • You will like most of your customers, as it is a neighborhood store, and you will be close to home(in 13 reviews)

• Great people to work with and shifts went by quickly because lots to do(in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • No work/life balance the stores are too understaffed due to low associate pay(in 33 reviews)

• There was one point in time when we had six store managers walk out in a six week period(in 63 reviews)

Company only cares for itself not its employees.

Third Key (Former Employee) Greenville, IL

ProsThe people you work with.

ConsI worked as lead sales associate and recieved 25 cent raise. When I was demoted due to a work injury they took it plus my annual raises, nocked me down to part time and took away my insurance coverage.

Advice to Senior ManagementReview the exact reason an associate quits without the district managers opinion first. I would have been elgible for rehire had the district manager hadnt held grievances and labeled me as unrehireable. Per their human resource department.

Bottom of the barrel retail.

Store Manager Candidate (Current Employee)

ProsThe metrics are unrealistic, for the available labor, but the 7 day format is easy to follow.

ConsThe equipment, from the registers to the physical stores themselves, are antiquated and dilapidated. The pay is horrendous and the training is ridiculous for Sales Associates.

Advice to Senior ManagementDevelop a better bench and career-path for your Store Management Candidates.

IT was OK

Cashier (Current Employee) Lilburn, GA

Prosgreat environment. not too many politics.

ConsNo breaks. Continue working unlimited. employee shortages, work gets passed down.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Seasoned employee

Store Manager (Current Employee)

ProsThe company trys a lot of new ideas, they are somewhat focused on advancing in technology.

ConsWhere to start? If you work in a DG store you are labeled as a thief during your initial training. DG estimates that their shrink is 80% internal. One minute you are doing a new program the next minute you are doing it wrong. Your life as a store manager will be dictated by your DM. Some are awful some are OK. If you ever get short staffed forget about help from up above, its sink or swim for you. The stores are so hot in the summer that the candy melts, (with the a/c on) while the cooperate office has heated doorknobs. The is no work life balance and good luck getting a holiday off (but that's retail) the warehouse dumps product on you that you don't need (we all know the buyers screwed up) but there is no exit plan for the product. If you are out of too many products in your store you get counseled for it, yet the DC out of stock report can show well over 100 outs at times. Anyone that visits you in a suit could care less about you and all they want is a horse and pony show when they show up. Managers can't even take a lunch without getting paged to take care of an issue. And let's not forget about being along in your store for 7+ hours. You have to use the restroom? Too bad. Oh and make it 6 days in a row with no restroom breaks while your at it. This place will suck the soul right out of you. DONT DO IT! (That's the short list)

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on your stores (the people that make you money) and stop worrying about how I stock a case of vegetables. I have been doing this for 20 years and you have a 4 year college grad who couldn't even lace my shoes in the morning telling me I'm doing it wrong. You have a lot of issues. Its a matter of talking to those that mean most. The people running the stores and not the brown nosers.

Managers Are Overworked and Under Appreciated

Store Manager (Former Employee) Houston, TX

ProsLearned that this is the worst job that I have ever had. Was Store Manager for three years. Got a new District Manager and he LIED to me on several subjects. I had employee witnesses that heard him state what he did. When I called him out on his lies, he denied it and said, "Do you know who you are talking to? I am the District Manager and your boss." Don't care who he is HE LIED and then denied it. Every quarter I would receive a level three sales bonus and level three customer connect bonus. 14 stores in the district and every week was #1 or #2 in sales. Overall Matrix store ranking was 572 out of over 11,000 stores. Very successful store and in the top percentile of the company. In three years I was never written up for anything. After I pissed him off for calling him out on his lies, he demoted me to Asst.Manager and wrote me up 4 times in the next month. Dollar General is supposed to have an "Open Door Policy". Since I was being oppressed by the District Manager, I tried to contact the Regional Manager. I left 5 voicemails on his phone, texted him 4 times and sent 3 emails and to this day have never heard from him. He allowed the jerk District Manager to run me off without hearing anything I had to say. That is not an open door policy. He violated company policy by not contacting me. Now that I have been gone, the store that was #1 or #2 in sales is now averaging weekly sales that has dropped the store down to #13 out of 14. The store is a wreck and many of the good customers are now shopping elsewhere.

ConsNo upper management support.
    Not given enough man hours weekly to get the job done.
    As a result, I worked 70-75 hours per week. Little time to spend with my family.
    Only got 1/2 day off each week.

Advice to Senior ManagementShould not allow a rogue District Manager to get away with railroading a valuable employee. Need to look at the plan-a-grams. It is totally out of control. Too much time is spent constantly moving items around. I have many other items for upper management but I will let it go since they treat employees like trash and do not care to listen anyway.

Assistant Manager

Assistant Manager (Former Employee) Allentown, PA

ProsYou get enough hours, and you get alot of recognition.

ConsThe salary is too low.

Advice to Senior ManagementRaise the salary on assistant manager

Need better Regional and District Managers

Assistant Manager (Current Employee)

ProsWorking in the community and helping customers save money.

ConsLow paying, slow to promote and train people. Needs better security in store and scheduling needs for busy hours and projects.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't be scared of the talent you have.

Too much emphasis on store, inventory and sales and not its employees....

Store Manager (Former Employee) Raleigh, NC

ProsThe variety of customers you meet and the friendships you make.

ConsWork/life balance is terrible. Had a DM whose motto was "you do what it takes, I don't care if you have to work 80 hours a week, JDI, (just do it). Pay for employees is terrible. Employees as well as vendors (and the general public) are suspect when it comes to inventory loss. THERE IS NO ACCOUNTABILITY for the inventory once it leaves the warehouse and arrives at the store due to NO TRUCK SHEETS WITH THE LOADS!!! The only invoice for the store delivery comes over the register the day or two after the store receives the delivery. Truck invoices where promised by the CEO after he took over but never materialized. Stores are constantly being told to cut hours/payroll so the districts/regions can make their budgets, leaving very little time for the store management team to actually "manage" the store. hard to properly staff a store when you are constantly getting your store budgeted hours cut back.

Advice to Senior ManagementMiddle management (DM's/Regionals) need to treat the employees under them like they want to be treated and not just like another body or number. Corporate needs to step up and take a hard look at the warehouse/inventory/billing system for stores and realize where the problem is (not ALL of it is at the store level!!) The company also needs to raise its pay scales for the stores so that good employees can be retained.

Dollar General

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe regular customers you encounter. That's about it.

ConsPay is pitiful. No matter how hard you work it's never good enough. The corporation does not care at all for the customers or employees. It's all about the money and employees are treated as such.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive your stores more hours and focus more on customer service. You might make more money if they actually want to come in the store.

Cashier/Sales Associate

Cashier/Sales Associate (Current Employee) Miramar, FL

ProsThis was my first job so i didn't know what to expect, but the overall experience was calmed and the store didn't get too crowded

ConsBad management/ store manager was never around the front to help the employees if they needed help.

Advice to Senior ManagementTrain your employees the right way

Worked for Dollar General? Contribute to the Community!