Dollar General

2.5
1,302 Reviews

Dollar General Chairman and CEO Rick Dreiling
Rick Dreiling

Pros
  • And the one I work at was close to home, so I enjoyed walking to work (in 17 reviews)

• you'll be managing your own store in less than a year even if you start on part time with no experience (in 23 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/Life balance is unheard of: Store Managers work a mandatory 6 day, 48 hour work week (in 49 reviews)

• Store managers receive absolutely no direction or support from their District Managers (in 79 reviews)

More Highlights

Lots of opportunities to grow.

Current Employee - Merchandising in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Merchandising in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Dollar General full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Company is growing like crazy. Lots of new opportunities for career growth. Great culture, family feel.

Cons

The problems associated with growth are similar to a start up. Sometimes it's chaotic and you never feel like you have enough resources, but somehow always manage to get the job done

Continue to invest in reducing store level turnover

A fun job, but not many hours offered.

Current Employee - Cashier in London, KY
    Current Employee - Cashier in London, KY

I have been working at Dollar General part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Fast paced, meeting new people.

Cons

Minimum pay, and very very little hours.

More hours are needed for part time employees.

Been a week, and no hours yet

Current Employee - Dollar General Sales Associate in Ocean Springs, MS
    Current Employee - Dollar General Sales Associate in Ocean Springs, MS

I have been working at Dollar General part-time (less than a year)

Pros

They will hire you and give you an opportunity, the managers will try their best with what corporate offers. Great job for first-timers, tons of locations so you will be close to home, and might be able to transfer.

Cons

Buying own uniform on minimum wage
    Dirty store
    Understaffed
    no hours (constantly have to get approve for hours)

Needs to pay their employees better for the amount of work they do, and store management, need to clean their store and hire more wisely.

You don't want to work here

I have been working at Dollar General

Pros

The pay is not that great

Cons

Manager keeps taking my days of

First and worst Job ever

Former Employee - Stocker/Sales Associate in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Stocker/Sales Associate in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Dollar General part-time (less than a year)

Pros

weekly pay, flexible hours, friendly customers

Cons

Very insane work pace quota

Properly train your employees

Opportunity, for everyone

I have been working at Dollar General part-time (less than a year)

Pros

They will hire you even if you don't have any previous experience, and if you do have retail experience, they will snag you right way. There is room for growth, and lot os experience to gain and learn.

Cons

The pay its not great. It's minimum wage. There is a huge turnover, and barely enough workers.

They need to hire enough people to do different jobs. Not two people to do the whole store. If the rules are actually followed, it would run much smoothly. Organization its key, dirty break room or office has an impact on how employees view their work space.

Will never work here again

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Avilla, IN
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Avilla, IN

I worked at Dollar General part-time (more than a year)

Pros

many locations to choose from

Cons

management was forced, working on salary, to work lots of overtime to keep the place afloat

To upper level management, specifically, NOT store managers -- Pull your heads out of the clouds and realize that PEOPLE are more important than PROFITS. My manager was a kind, smart person, and she was treated poorly and didn't feel like she could ever meet your rediculous standards and expectations. Why? Because time after time after TIME, you refused to give her more work hours to spread amongst the employees to get the many, always changing tasks done! Constant changes in the store layout Take TIME to change over. When the cashier is expected to stock merchandise and run the register, customers get annoyed having to wait, and the merchandise doesn't get stocked as fast as you dictate it should. Then, things fall behind and the store manager gets screwed over having to pick up the pieces. When store sales continue to climb, but no extra work hours are provided to keep up with the demand of more customers through the line and more product moving off of the shelves, things WILL NOT work out well for the employees. PERIOD. It felt like you put us and our well-being LAST on your list of priorities. We are PEOPLE, not robots. Just because you want something done in a certain amount of time doesn't mean that it's feasible or reasonable!!!

Not Worth It

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Bloomington, IN
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Bloomington, IN

I worked at Dollar General full-time (less than a year)

Pros

40 hours a week for full time, Good Co-workers depending on where you work. Can become a local face from working there because you always have the same customers so it is quite entertaining.

Cons

Lack of respect from higher ups like district manager, Low Pay to be assistant store manager, low pay for everything you do in the store such as unload stock and have to go to the register every time a cashier needs help. Never enough ppl on the clock to get everything done that is needed in the store. Dollar General is really petty about how many employees are on the clock at once. Usually only two.

How about help or give better feedback to managers and cashiers instead of just forcing us to do stuff. Stop looking down upon the store workers because you are the district manager.

Depressing

Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier
    Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier

I worked at Dollar General part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Paid weekly , 401k , nice staff

Cons

Boring and drawn out work , no liveliness to the company at all , my biggest struggle was staying awake for $7.25 an hour

Higher pay , we know you can afford it

Disgusting Company

Former Employee - Picker in Scottsville, KY
    Former Employee - Picker in Scottsville, KY

I worked at Dollar General

Pros

Good pay, decent hours, friendly coworkers, management at the very least pretended to be nice

Cons

The working conditions were absolutely terrible. I was a picker and god damn, they work you like a dog. You're expected to keep up an inhuman pace, with heavy merchandise, and at the time they had zero climate control, so the air was hot and stagnant, even at night. When the poor working conditions caused me to fear for my heart(I have a mild heart condition), they promised me that if I brought them a note from a doctor detailing my heart condition, and how my work was causing adverse effects to my health, that they would move me to a different part of the warehouse, where I could work without fearing for my health. When I brought them the note, they told me to go home, but then never called me. Then when I figured out they had instead fired me (they never told me this, I had to call to find out), they had the gall to dispute my unemployment claim.

Also, a very rabidly anti-union atmosphere, which is never a good thing

Try caring about the health and well being your employees beyond just what you're legally mandated to do. There were a million safety lectures, but really not a single thing was done to help the biggest problem in your warehouse - exhaustion and overheating. Also, when your HR department makes promises, make sure they can actually keep them.