Dollar General

2.5
1,013 Reviews

Dollar General Chairman and CEO Rick Dreiling
Rick Dreiling

Pros
  • You will like most of your customers, as it is a neighborhood store, and you will be close to home (in 13 reviews)

• Friendly leadership, good benefits with a lot of employee recognition (in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • No work/life balance the stores are too understaffed due to low associate pay (in 34 reviews)

• There was one point in time when we had six store managers walk out in a six week period (in 64 reviews)

More Highlights

Its an ok company.

I have been working at Dollar General full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good training. Discounts certain times of the year. All depends on the store you work at.

Cons

The pay is aweful, and I mean aweful. 9$/HR for Assistant Managers. 6 day work weeks. Limited payroll budgets.

Stop treating your employees like there machines, pay them more if you expect a lower turnover rate.

Working for Dollar General makes me very happy.

Current Employee - Store Manager  in  Cranford, NJ
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Cranford, NJ

I have been working at Dollar General full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I admire the way the corporate employees are so positive about leading their under management to success. Also, how they promote from within. Our teams know each other, and we help each other whenever possible. My DM is the best. He is a bulldog about policy and procedure, and we as SM's are better for it.

Cons

Need updated computer system to help us move through the day quicker.

Have store Managers go to the DC to spend time with them and work together to understand and help each other be more successful.

bad evil

Current Employee - Third Key Holder  in  Bristol, VA
    Current Employee - Third Key Holder in Bristol, VA

I have been working at Dollar General full-time for less than a year

Pros

the customers that i truly enjoyed working with

Cons

just beware to employees posting on here although supposedly anonymous it aint they HR are reading everything you post and you will be fired i speak from experience i spoke the truth and was fired

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Stressful. Pay sucks.

Current Employee - Store Manager
    Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at Dollar General full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Can advance quickly if interested.

Cons

Too much work in no time to get it done. They only give you a certain amount of hours to get things done, but yet do not consider in how many customers you will have during it. It is a very stressful job. Store Managers do not work 48-50 hrs a week. You have to work about 70+ hours a week; in turn, you're making below minimum wage. It is not worth it.

Asst Store manager

Current Employee - Store Manager  in  Westland, MI
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Westland, MI

I have been working at Dollar General full-time for more than a year

Pros

The only pros i've come across working for this company is the customers and the crew. You get some bad, get some good but they are all unforgettable.

Cons

EVERYTHING!! I was there for one whole year before i couldnt take it anymore. Just in that year we went through 3 supervisors and 2 store managers! What set me off was the first store manager walked out, with a crew of 4 people that would not let us hire anyone or get us any help! Expected so much out of us with little to no crew and for there pay? No. Good luck trying to get your monthly '6 month, yearly raises' Its like pulling teeth. Was without a store manager for 5 months until they brought someone in and then fired her a week later!! brought another one 2 months later who had no idea what she was doing nor cared what so ever. I was working 70+ hours every week, working 7 days a week because the new supervisor MIKE would never answer his phone, Never reply to emails, nothing. When he did, he told me to figure it out. He was awful, would say nothing but made terrible comments and make fun of my crew, told one of my pregnant employee who refused his coffee order 'that she wont drink coffee but she'll smoke? that makes a lot of sense' as he laughed and told John another store manager about it. Doesnt seem like something a SUPERVISOR should say. He had no idea what he was doing. All upper management was run so stupidly. TERRIBLE PLACE TO WORK FOR!!! These other reviews are clearly fake! Cant find a single person who is or who has worked for dg that as even liked it. Expect the world from you and you to work to the bone but pay you a dime over mini wage.

DON'T WASTE YOUR TIME!!!

Store Manager

Former Employee - Store Manager
    Former Employee - Store Manager

I worked at Dollar General full-time for more than a year

Pros

* the customers appreciate the work and service provided despite what corporate dictates as success
    * the customer relationships

Cons

Being hired in from a company which really focused on the "customers" is a hindrance. DG boasts the motto of "Serving Others"; however falls really short on actually knowing what their customer base exists of with the mentality that every store is the same no matter the physical location of the building.
    Work-Life balance does not exist. I was told at initial interview that the manager would be able to work between 50 and 60 hours a week (6 days a week) I remember the Regional Manager making this statement to me at the interview "I'll be honest with you, Dollar General makes its money on payroll; they KNOW they understaff their stores"; now, I wish I had ran the other way. I had worked as Store Manager for a little over a year and a 50 to 60 hour work week would have been a vacation. My hours ranged from 72 to over 90 hours a week (some spans of time were without a day off).
    There is no "training hours " allocated for new employees; yet you are told you are to allow the new employee hours to complete Computer Based Training (CBL's) by stepping into the roll of cashier as they sit in the office taking the training. No, you do not have the payroll to cover this employee, the manager must take time away from the dozens of tasks which they are responsible for and , in turn, work longer to get their own responsibilities completed. (this applies to the SM who is salary as they do not pay OT for any other employee to cover the register)
    I worked well with my staff at my store with the scheduling of shifts to assist with their work/life balance
    ; however, this seems to be a non-existent "plus" which DG didn't condone as I was constantly question as to "why" I would hire people who were in school or had special days off they would need for personal reasons. As far as a work/life balance for myself ... none .... if I had any issue, special event, or just needed a break, it was impossible.
    I did not come "up through the ranks" into the position of Store Manager; however, offered over thirty years of retail, customer service and management experience. The training was a "joke" to say the least as they did not follow their own guidelines of training. I spent two weeks in another store setting planograms and throwing freight even though I specifically asked the training manager to show me the administrative parts of the position. I was assigned a store with "issues" and my understanding is that now, they "fix" stores before assigning a new manager.
    I produced decreased "shrink" percentages and was also producing double-digit percentage profit; however, this was not good enough as my store (2.4M per year, high volume and traffic) was a little messy from time to time with the over abundance of freight from the DC.
    There is no "trust" between the Regional, District, and Store managers and upper management wants SMs to believe that everyone is a thief (including the vendors which service the store). Respect, integrity, and camaraderie are greatly lacking.
    I found upper management non-supportive of innovation and the ability to drive sales despite all the pitfalls and hurdles of day-to-day problems. Appreciation is never expressed ... all they want to do is come in and tell you what is "not being done" the DG way.
    The pay is not competitive for management or store staff. Retaining good employees is nearly impossible when you only have 10 to 15 hours a week to give them (and that is being nice) and then upper management wants to place blame on the store manager when the good employees find another job which pays better or offers more hours. I was told, "this store is in a small town ... where else are people going to work" and when I told them where another employee had gotten another offer, was told, "well, they can't hire a lot of people". Mind you that I traveled almost an hour one way to my store and despite what DG thought, the people in this small town owned vehicles also and were not tied to the community as being "the only place to work."

When you hire managers, hire the ones who have no innovation .... hire the ones who are willing to do EXACTLY what DG wants and let them know ahead of time that 50 to 60 hour work weeks are NOT the norm. Forget those who have the ability to drive sales, it is not what you are looking for .... you just want "yes" men.

The manager Whom I was hired under was very cooperative with working with me and my scheduling issues.

I have been working at Dollar General full-time for more than a year

Pros

I love to work in a busy atmosphere around customers and employees I enjoy!

Cons

The job is busy, demanding and the turnover rate is high

More time in interviews with those individuals whom are considered hireable and let them be fully trained before becoming overwhelmed

Backwards company

Current Employee - Store Manager  in  Athens, GA
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Athens, GA

I have been working at Dollar General full-time for less than a year

Pros

The customers are great that's about it

Cons

District manager is clueless no support from upper managment

Restructure upper managment

Okay

I worked at Dollar General

Pros

Steady pay check. Tuition reimbursement

Cons

A lot of new supervisors that does not know what they are doing

Listen to the employees that have been there a while.

DG will cure you of ever wanting to work in retail again.

I have been working at Dollar General full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Not a single one.

Cons

Not nearly enough payroll given to the stores to accomplish the tasks required, unless the store manager is there 24/7, and they're not paid nearly enough to expect that. I have worked here through more store managers than I can keep track of, not to mention a long period with no manager and a SMC who didn't want to be doing the job. The work environment is horrid, with corporate controlled HVAC, so even the customers are miserable year-round. I'm sure someone at corporate has an excellent reason why planograms should be changed 3 times in a year, but all that does is take more time away from dealing with customers. I'm pretty sure those in charge have no idea where the money for their paychecks comes from, or they wouldn't make things as difficult and challenging for the stores as they do. I feel very badly for our current store manager, who is a hard-worker, but who is seeing how the company actually works. I imagine he'll be gone before he hits another anniversary date.

I don't think anyone should be allowed to work in the corporate office until they've spent 6 months at store level, and part of that through the holiday season. Not all of your employees are thieves, but plenty of your 'customers' are, though you make it next to impossible to catch them with the minimal payroll hours you allot to the stores--one person working alone in a store cannot possibly catch the career shoplifters who stuff their bags and clothing and then walk out the front door.

Worked for Dollar General? Contribute to the Community!