Dollar General

2.5
1,022 Reviews

Dollar General Chairman and CEO Rick Dreiling
Rick Dreiling

Pros
  • You will like most of your customers, as it is a neighborhood store, and you will be close to home (in 13 reviews)

• Friendly leadership, good benefits with a lot of employee recognition (in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • No work/life balance the stores are too understaffed due to low associate pay (in 34 reviews)

• There was one point in time when we had six store managers walk out in a six week period (in 64 reviews)

More Highlights

Your experience greatly depends on who your manager is

Former Employee - Assistant Manager
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager

I worked at Dollar General full-time for more than a year

Pros

I was the assistant manager at one of the Dollar General stores for a little over a year. There is lots of opportunities for advancement, and promoting within. The work is a bit physically demanding, but it isn't a difficult job. One of my favorite things about DG was getting paid weekly.

Cons

As my title alludes, your manager could make your life a living hell. The way things got at my store, I was working six days a week, and would often get called in on my one off day. We would often get yelled at by our power tripping manager. That being said, not every store is like that. Just be wary.

I am so happy to be with a company that is celebrating 75th anniversary

Current Employee - Human Resources Representative II-FIELD RECRUITING
    Current Employee - Human Resources Representative II-FIELD RECRUITING

I have been working at Dollar General full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

I work with co-workers who are the best team players possible they make work fun and enjoyable! Dollar General gives me the opportunity to learn, grow, and be recognized for everything I do; to serve the managers I support.

Cons

Retail high turnover, Texas good economy

Great when your not alone

Current Employee - Store Manager  in  Spring Hill, FL
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Spring Hill, FL

I have been working at Dollar General full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

As a store manager there's a multitude of different tasks you get to do, I enjoy working for the company and they treat the store managers well

Cons

Dealing with payroll cuts, not having loss prevention in stores, not having a enough cameras in the store, outdated registers that freeze up

Try to get newer updated registers, spend more time in career development with the store managers , get to know the associates and other managers in the building a simple thank you is better then explaining the shortfalls of the team

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A job not a career.

Former Employee - Third Key  in  Terre Haute, IN
    Former Employee - Third Key in Terre Haute, IN

I worked at Dollar General full-time for more than a year

Pros

If you are lucky enough to find a "working" manager at DG it can be very rewarding. But your ability to enjoy your job will be measured by just that.

Cons

Customer service is not as important as it should be, or needs to be. They have the cashiers stocking the shelves and then running to the register when a customer is waiting there.

Be more customer focused. I understand rolltainers need to be unloaded and shelves stocked, but you love hiring past Walmart micro managers. They are not customer focused, and do not have that "retail walk" necessary for the physical aspects of the job. Have you heard the term "only as good as your weakest link?" I find the majority of the time your GM's are their own weakest link.

Good Company, Very Lean Organization

Current Employee - IT Manager  in  Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - IT Manager in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Dollar General full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The people who work there, the amazing cafeteria, and their wellness center.

Cons

Way too much micro-management. Project planning procedures are in place, but not followed because there is not enough staff to put out the fires that occur. The company manages to work through these issues, but sometimes at the expense of their employees.

Spend some money and use the tools that were created to make projects more organized and on time!

My experience with Dollar General has been belittling, disrespectful and scarring.

Current Employee - Store Manager  in  Germantown, IL
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Germantown, IL

I have been working at Dollar General full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Pros for Dollar General would be that they promote within, and the locations of the store are close to home.

Cons

Constant change of rules and regulations within the same District. The company is not appreciative of what you give as an employee and they expect you to live for Dollar General.

Upper Management needs to pay closer attention to what is going on out in the stores instead of just listening to the District Manager. Appreciate the hard work of the employees and provide true incentives for the employees throughout the corporation and not just in the area of the corporate office.

Management need a lot of work.

I have been working at Dollar General

Pros

Some of the pro about about working at Dollar General is getting paid every week and getting to know some of the regular customers or a deeper level.

Cons

The cons were not enough hours, management was very sneaky, not really any opportunities within the company within a timely matter.

Treat you customers and employees better. No one person alone can this business a success. It is about teamwork.

Not employee friendly.

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager  in  Cleveland, TN
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Cleveland, TN

I worked at Dollar General part-time for more than a year

Pros

I moved up quickly. I learned a lot more about running a retail business. I enjoy working with people in my community, so this a good job for people persons.

Cons

This company is very much a micro management company. They are not employee friendly. They demand more work in less hours. Small team shifts, many times as little as two people per shift, and many times only person on shift when some one called in. Very little pay. Did the same job for Family Dollar and made $2.50 more an hour. Cashiers at Family dollar made as much as I did as an assistant manager for Dollar General. General Managers are overworked. Told required to work 50 hours a week but because of lack of payroll they end up working nearly 80 hours a week. General managers are salaried. As an assistant constantly kept cutting my hours to keep me at part time. They would work me full time hours for several weeks then cut my hours for a few weeks to keep me part time. They make your full time if you work average of 32 hours a week for 12 weeks.

Strongly suggest the 2nd largest retailer in the country to properly staff their stores and pay more than minimum wage. Stores are constantly over stocked with things not needed and under stocked on things sold most. Reconsider allowing managers to have more control of ordering. Automated ordering really makes a manager ineffective in controlling the flow of stock.

Favoritism and Empty promises.

Former Employee - Cashier/Sales Associate  in  Ashford, AL
    Former Employee - Cashier/Sales Associate in Ashford, AL

I worked at Dollar General part-time for less than a year

Pros

The people that I worked with made the job ok.

Cons

The manager promised high pay rates and hours and delivered neither and refused to work with my schedule at my other job which I had first. She had the nerve to tell me that corporate required you to work every weekend but yet had other employees that needed weekends off and she gave them with no hassle. She was a very poor excuse for a manager and the sad thing is the DM never did or said anything about the condition of the store or ow poorly managed it was. The store was filthy from improper cleaning and pure neglect. I mean we actually had our own cobwebs for halloween and I hadnt been there a month. The manager would take 8-10 smoking breaks in a four hour period but we had to work in overdrive to get things done according to "policy". I got a better job offer so I resigned.

Your DMs should care more about the stores and how they are operated and how they are kept.

Awful, never ending demands upon my time

Current Employee - Store Manager
    Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at Dollar General full-time for less than a year

Pros

I like the customers and the majority of the retail employees

Cons

No district or area leadership support, we are getting less staffing hours than last year and I have an 11% increase at my store for year over year sales. My training was 66% of the required amount and arrived at a new store clueless on how to run such a dysfunctional place. Many safety issues, and no practical responses to get them fixed, no lights in the walk in coolers. Doors that won't open. The compensation is awful and I am told that this is the norm for this organization

Just take on faith that when the field asks for something they really need it. Like working fire doors and exit doors and better pay tied to something tangible

Worked for Dollar General? Contribute to the Community!