Dollar General Reviews

1,920 Employee Reviews

Stocker

Current Employee - Dollar General Sales Associate in Dunnellon, FL
    Current Employee - Dollar General Sales Associate in Dunnellon, FL

Pros

You would love to be apart of the staff they are well mannered and help others find what they are looking to come get.

Cons

It is less pay than other jobs but hey at least you have a job somewhere and making a start.

Advice to Management

The are aways strict and on top of things.

Field Manager

Current Employee - Mid Level Management in Oklahoma City, OK
    Current Employee - Mid Level Management in Oklahoma City, OK

Pros

After 11+ years, I can say the two strongest pro's are DG's adherence to its core values and its consistent fairness and equitable treatment of its employee base. Tactics come and go, but fundamentals and strategies remain focused to those that interact with our customers every day.

Cons

Due to high growth, leadership at the mid and upper levels seems to change frequently. This is a challenge in that folks are constantly in a training / learning curve, and this takes away from overall progress at times.

Advice to Management

Continue to focus on store teams - those that operate a cash register and/or put freight onto the shelves. Improve their ability to service our customers and continue our core values at all levels.

Overall good experience

Pros

Flexible schedule, great management, nice people , easy job

Cons

Very demanding on stock days

Advice to Management

Make sure more than one person is on the schedule truck days

DG

Current Employee - Stocker, Cashier in Raeford, NC
    Current Employee - Stocker, Cashier in Raeford, NC

I have been working at Dollar General part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great customers to meet and help.

Cons

Not enough pay to work for, at the start.

6. Lead Sales Associate

Current Employee - Key Holder in Virginia Beach, VA
    Current Employee - Key Holder in Virginia Beach, VA

I have been working at Dollar General part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I learned how to use the handheld scanner to receive goods from vendors, count inventory, and check prices. I had some managerial responsibility when I opened and closed the store and supervised other employees and the property. The carry name brand and generic brands for Health- Beauty-Accessories and Groceries.

Cons

The hours I worked at Dollar General consumed my whole day. Ex. 1pm-9pm. To minimize their payroll my store would only have two people working in the store for each shift. Also, my store had very old computer systems Which sometimes crashed during the day,

7. Asst. Mgr

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Center, TX
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Center, TX

I have been working at Dollar General (Less than a year)

Pros

The customers are really great. You really get to know the people in your community.

Cons

They except to much of 1 person

Very tough employer

Current Employee - Store Manager in Jackson, MS
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Jackson, MS

I have been working at Dollar General full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There is a lot of potential for growth because this company is currently booming. They are building around 700 stores each year.

Cons

Very little training. Not enough payroll in store to provide a good shopping experience for customers. As a manager it's hard to find people willing to be dedicated to working on your team for low wages and low work hours available to them.

Advice to Management

Take a closer look at your payroll structure... Requiring district managers to make payroll on a weekly basis limits their options when trying to take care of business needs!

Store Manager

Current Employee - Retail Store Manager
    Current Employee - Retail Store Manager

I have been working at Dollar General full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good people to work with. Training went pretty easy. The computer based training can be boring but it does help. If you have been an assistant manager at a big box store most of the training should be a breeze for you.

Cons

The hours, but honestly who really liked to work swing shifts all the time! But other then that seems like a great place. No discount for employees, but the prices are pretty cheap anyway.

Advice to Management

Be sure that all the DM's respond to their store managers (especially the new ones) in a timely fashion and not ignore questions they think are not important.

Sales Associate

Pros

Being able to interact with customers on a daily basis and being able to work independently without any need of team activities

Cons

Manager would sometimes require employees to do their job instead of performing the task themselves. Also sometimes customers would be in line due to only one register being open

Advice to Management

Please make sure that at least two people are on cashier duties in each store because customers can sometimes pile up in the store

11. Lead Sales Associate PT

Current Employee - Lead Sales Associate PT in Slidell, LA
    Current Employee - Lead Sales Associate PT in Slidell, LA

I have been working at Dollar General part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great opportunity for advancement. I moved up to Lead Sales Associate PT in 2 months. I'm now (hopefully) going to move up to Asst Mgr. The SM asked how I felt about taking the position...

Cons

Low pay, little opportunity for full time work. Unless you are a keyholder (& even still I'm part time) you are considered PT. There is also a lack of communication between MODs at my store. & never knowing if you'll be opening or closing sucks!

Advice to Management

There should be a method of communicating tasks to be completed/started from the outgoing MOD to the incoming MOD. I've been left having no clue what was done or not done or should be done. Wasted many hours on the clock going over work just to see if it was completed or half completed. Also wasted many days doing what my immediate higher up should have done.

Showing 1,920 of 1,927 reviews