Dollar General

2.5
1,015 Reviews

Dollar General Chairman and CEO Rick Dreiling
Rick Dreiling

Pros
  • You will like most of your customers, as it is a neighborhood store, and you will be close to home (in 13 reviews)

• Friendly leadership, good benefits with a lot of employee recognition (in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • No work/life balance the stores are too understaffed due to low associate pay (in 34 reviews)

• There was one point in time when we had six store managers walk out in a six week period (in 64 reviews)

More Highlights

Pleasant Experience

I have been working at Dollar General

Pros

Store manager worked with my schedule for school and days needed off.

Cons

Constantly denied well-deserved promotions for others who did not have the same qualifications.

Going places....

Current Employee - Business Professional  in  Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Business Professional in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Dollar General full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Lots of store growth and career opportunities for anyone willing to roll up their sleeves. Caring, friendly employees. Stable and strong business. Great to shop too as the store has everything I need at home.

Cons

Nothing that doesnt happen everywhere else you work. What is different here is the company gives you a voice and cares about how employees feel.

Keep addign stores and promoting people

Amazing company with an incredible opportunity to grow your career!

Current Employee - Human Resources Representative  in  Goodlettsville, TN
    Current Employee - Human Resources Representative in Goodlettsville, TN

I have been working at Dollar General full-time for less than a year

Pros

Leadership is supportive and inspiring. The culture is energizing, the people are collaborative, friendly, supportive, everyone is working hard towards the same goal. The company is growing at an impressive rate and has aggressive growth plans. Excellent opportunity to join the team, learn the business, earn your stripes and take your career as far as you want.

Cons

Not really a con, like most companies, if you want a long term career, you’ll need to be ready to work really hard and contribute.

Keep communicating with your teams and caring about their success. It’s amazing with how large the organization is to get as much hands on support and training as you give. Thank you!

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Passion about DG customers

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Goodlettsville, TN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Goodlettsville, TN

I have been working at Dollar General full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

This company is very focused on what our core customer wants and, more so, needs. You just need to hear Senior Director of marketing, Angela Martin, talk about our core customer(s) to know how passionate DG is about her.

Fantastic upward potential.

Cons

The lean operating model that Dollar General uses (which is what helps us keep our prices so slow) also means more work per employee than other retailers - store level and corporate.

Stay focused, keep up the good work.

Best ever

I have been working at Dollar General

Pros

Good managers that care about employees good wages good benefits I love it there and I moved up twice

Cons

Long drive and people laugh at me sometimes I like the environment and the work culture but I feel I get no respect at my job give me more hours

Pay more

Good job very long hours. The people are fun to work with and are a great team.

Current Employee - Store Manager
    Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at Dollar General full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Job security. Good benefits. Great teaching opportunity at any level to learn retail .

Cons

Very long hours for. Management

I loved working there but strict cashier overages or under till rules

Current Employee - Cashier  in  Owensville, OH
    Current Employee - Cashier in Owensville, OH

I have been working at Dollar General part-time for less than a year

Pros

flexible hours, if a smoker can take frequent smoke breaks friendly management

Cons

not enough training have to self learn a lot, If honestly off on your register and even have proof on camera and are willing to pay out of your own pocket to make the till right even with no write ups you will be fired

Keep loyal hard working hones team members who are dependable the chance to make a register mistake right

This company is not for everybody.

Former Employee - Store Manager  in  Memphis, TN
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Memphis, TN

I worked at Dollar General full-time for less than a year

Pros

The weekly truck comes already organized according to departments.

Cons

You always have resets to do plus putting out your truck. Its a lot to taken on with little payroll.

Allow Store Managers to run the store and don't make them feel unappreciated.

Mindless, petty, grueling, and foremost uncaring atmosphere for employees that strive to be there best.

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager  in  Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Dollar General full-time for less than a year

Pros

Fairly basic stocking and not much else to recommend.

Cons

Very little training, Assistant store manager is glorified cashier. Title only. Too much work for very little pay. Hours get cut often. can't make payroll so you don't work on occasions. Sloppy handling of employees discipline when errors are made. Chain of command lacks substance. Lack of motivation from top down.

Give your assistant managers more authority and less connection with having to run cash register. I mean the management should coach, assist, supervise and assistant should be allowed to discipline other employees when needed. Assistant really needs to be more in the loop on what's going on and less a glorified cashier. Assistants job as a whole should be weighed not just as a cashier when they want to write an assistant up.

Endless Opportunity!

Current Employee - Director
    Current Employee - Director

I have been working at Dollar General full-time for more than a year

Pros

Dollar General is a fast growing company that is surrounded by smart and talented leadership team, who has delivered record breaking numbers. DG has had 24 straight years of same stores sales growth, and embodies a family culture that makes work a fun and excited place to be!

Cons

Continue to focus on work simplification.

Continue to be transparent with the growth strategies as everyone is excited to continue to be part of the Dollar General company!

Worked for Dollar General? Contribute to the Community!