Dollar General

Dollar General Reviews

Updated Jul 30, 2014

Dollar General Chairman and CEO Rick Dreiling

Rick Dreiling

Pros
  • You will like most of your customers, as it is a neighborhood store, and you will be close to home (in 13 reviews)

• Friendly leadership, good benefits with a lot of employee recognition (in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • No work/life balance the stores are too understaffed due to low associate pay (in 34 reviews)

• There was one point in time when we had six store managers walk out in a six week period (in 64 reviews)

More Highlights

Good for an extra job.

Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) Gettysburg, PA

ProsThey do not expect you to do much.

ConsNo advancement opportunity. Benefits are terrible.

YOU dictate your experience at DG!

Retail Store Manager (Current Employee) Oklahoma City, OK

ProsFT employees have great benefits. 401K, health, vacation. Managers are Salary. If you have an ounce of ambition and take pride in your work you can go far. I have made my career "cleaning up" stores that have had the sad luck to have a manager that did not care or did not want to go very far. Every day is different and I go home tired knowing I put in an honest days work and did my very best for that day.

ConsIt is not cake walk working in retail. People are not always kind and very often we have limited budget. But YOU dictate your experience. If you think it is all bad it is. If you think it is all good....it is. You will have to work hard if you are in management. No sitting in the office delegating. You have to roll up your sleeves and lead by example. It's only a "con" if you don't like hard work.

Advice to Senior ManagementMy advice to the high ups.... more training. New people come in and are the mercy of who ever is there, and they have not always been trained correctly. I notice this when I "borrow" employees from other stores. Go back to the training classes we used to have as key holders. Also, review the budgets frequently and take into consideration each store individually. There could be extenuating circumstances that might dictate a change.

Bad Job move

Assistant Manager (Current Employee) Conroe, TX

ProsSome of the coworkers are really great and fun to talk to

ConsPoor management,alot of rude Customers but could just be in my area,to much of the same merchandise is delivered so they are over stock of items that don't sell very well and constantly out of items that customers want. Management does a poor job with hiring and managing employees sechdules

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn how to make out schedules for employees better also pay attention to what sells and what doesn't

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

It was a great learning experience, a place where I could utilized my management skills.

Assistant Manager (Former Employee) Baton Rouge, LA

ProsThe best reason for me working there was the team oriented environment. a GREAT group of people to work with.

ConsThe cons were mostly in management when it came to holding individuals accountable for there work relate responsibilities.

Advice to Senior ManagementHold Every one accountable

dissatisfied

Store Manager Candidate (Current Employee) Winter Haven, FL

Prospays every week, that's about it.

Consnot enough hours. they give the stores so much tasks with little hours to get done . the manager would have to be in the store by themselves till about ten. they build stores in bad areas which isn't a safe for anyone to be in the store by themselves. they slave the manager who is on salary.

Advice to Senior ManagementYOU CANNOT SACRIFACE GUEST SERVICE FOR LABOR !! YOU NEED MORE TEAM MEMEBERS TO BE IN THE STORE TO SERVE THE GUEST ! ONE MANAGER CANT DO IT ALL !! YOU ARE KILLING YOUR MANAGERS ! AND HAVE ALOT OF VERY UNHAPPY GUEST !

A lot of hours.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood benefits. Good freight process . Nothing else

ConsNever enough to hours to run a store.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive u r manager sick days so they don't have to vacation time when sick to come in on payroll

Prepare to overwork

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsLow price goods for sale.

ConsUnrealistic expectations from corporate. Asked to do fifty things at once, then get reprimanded for messing one thing up, or not having enough time or payroll to accomplish the rest.

Advice to Senior ManagementPAYROLL

Company only cares for itself not its employees.

Third Key (Former Employee) Greenville, IL

ProsThe people you work with.

ConsI worked as lead sales associate and recieved 25 cent raise. When I was demoted due to a work injury they took it plus my annual raises, nocked me down to part time and took away my insurance coverage.

Advice to Senior ManagementReview the exact reason an associate quits without the district managers opinion first. I would have been elgible for rehire had the district manager hadnt held grievances and labeled me as unrehireable. Per their human resource department.

Cashier/Sales Associate

Cashier/Sales Associate (Current Employee) Miramar, FL

ProsThis was my first job so i didn't know what to expect, but the overall experience was calmed and the store didn't get too crowded

ConsBad management/ store manager was never around the front to help the employees if they needed help.

Advice to Senior ManagementTrain your employees the right way

It is an okay company..

Store Manager (Former Employee) Orlando, FL

ProsIt was a job it's retail.

ConsWork you like a dog...

Advice to Senior ManagementBe prepared

Worked for Dollar General? Contribute to the Community!