Dollar General

2.5
1,241 Reviews

Dollar General Chairman and CEO Rick Dreiling
Rick Dreiling

Pros
  • And the one I work at was close to home, so I enjoyed walking to work (in 17 reviews)

• you'll be managing your own store in less than a year even if you start on part time with no experience (in 23 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/Life balance is unheard of: Store Managers work a mandatory 6 day, 48 hour work week (in 49 reviews)

• Store managers receive absolutely no direction or support from their District Managers (in 79 reviews)

More Highlights

Sometimes fun but very stressful.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kiel, WI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kiel, WI

I have been working at Dollar General part-time (less than a year)

Pros

I like the sales associates and the hours. I grew up in this town so it's nice always getting to see people I know.

Cons

We don't get perks like employee discounts. If our work isn't done by 9:30 we have to punch out and finish with no pay. Every task is timed and if its busy with checking out and helping customers it makes it impossible to meet the time limits and then we are told we are too slow and there's no way it shouldn't be getting done no matter how fast we work or how hard we try to do our best.

I would like to get paid after the store closes while we are doing all our cleaning and bank deposits. I don't think it's fair to work for free. The manager stays until 9:45 or so if he isn't finished and I'm sure he gets paid. I would like more than 20 hrs a week. I get the least of all employees and I would like it if he didn't talk down and be so rude to us in front of customers. An employee discount would be nice. Every other place I ever worked employees always got discounts.

Long strenuous hours. Poor quality of life...........................................

Former Employee - District Manager
    Former Employee - District Manager

I worked at Dollar General

Pros

Great benefits but unprofessional upper management.................................................

Cons

Employees are over worked and under paid.

Tough Job... Think carefully before you agree.

Current Employee - Retail Store Manager in Groveland, FL
    Current Employee - Retail Store Manager in Groveland, FL

I have been working at Dollar General full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Transparent Company
    Clear Expectations
    Room to advance (if only due to churn being so high)

Cons

Extremely tight payroll budget to work within.
    You will do most of the work yourself and you WILL work long hours.
    If you fall behind, you will have to dig yourself out. If you can't, they will send help....once. You will be very aware that your job is on the line afterwards.
    We were reminded multiple times per week that we were replaceable. There is zero expectation of job security.

Stop sending out (literally) 11, 170 full color planning magazines....monthly! This is especially frustrating when every page is online and printable. Take that money and move it into payroll. There is so much wasted money on signage and shelf stickers that just end up tossed aside anyway.

Overworked and Underpaid

I worked at Dollar General

Pros

People are nice and stores in nice areas.

Cons

Hours inconsistent. A lot work with no appreciation or decent pay even for managers. Stressful job for minimum wage

DG Review

Former Employee - Region Director in Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - Region Director in Nashville, TN

I worked at Dollar General

Pros

Growth with professed internal focus

Cons

NO PAYROLL, NO Support Center Help, not willing to fix things (maintenance issues)

NA

The DM gives you a store, and you're on your own.

Former Employee - Store Manager
    Former Employee - Store Manager

I worked at Dollar General full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Most of the customers are cordial, I really enjoyed the majority of my coworkers, the amount of work the company gives you, is alot, but it can be done IF you have a STRONG asm, and Lsa. If the company would be consistent as a whole and have Driveline come in and do all of the resets it would free up time, for the managers to focus on other things. The bonus program is one of the best I've seen out there, the training in Raleigh is good information. I had one of the worse experiences in the store training, I was being trained by a person that had only been with the company for 3 years and before that never worked in a retail environment. This Person Was One Of THE TRAINING Managers BUT DIDN'T REALLY KNOW ANYTHING, AND Did very dishonest things in the store. And had only been a store manager for 8 months before I was hired.

Cons

You GET overworked, It's Way too difficult To Get Rid Of A Weak Link In Your Store If You Need to, The DM should back you if you say " this person needs to go," there just a waste of payroll I could be using elsewhere.

When you find GOOD managers, be there for them, not hold there hands and baby them, but answer your phone when you're needed.
    When you know you have a great manager keep HER happy.

Good place to work and gain experience.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Goodlettsville, TN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Goodlettsville, TN

I have been working at Dollar General full-time

Pros

Dollar General is a good place to work and gain valuable experience. It's a fast-paced working environment and you have to work cohesively with cross-functional teams in other departments to get your job done, which helps to build working partnerships and relationships.

Cons

Workloads sometimes appear to be very uneven. In the same department, some employees have to come early and stay late, while others have no problem getting their job done within the confines of the standard 8am-5pm work day. The pay is good, but seems to lag behind similar positions at some other companies in the area.

Keep up the good work. Try to keep micro-management to a minimum and promote people based upon their merit.

Cool Part Time Job

Former Employee - Stocker/Cashier in Arcadia, LA
    Former Employee - Stocker/Cashier in Arcadia, LA

I worked at Dollar General part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Flexible Scheduling, Weekly Pay, In store manager were friendly and helpful,possibility of advancement,

Cons

Weekly hours are scarce for part time employees. You should definitely have another source of income. Corporate management was out of touch with the inner operations of the store. Its understood that everything is based on the bottom line numbers, but maybe a visit every once in a while to see whats going on inside the store would be good.

Listen to your managers that work in the store and don't base every decision on paper. There are probably other ways to solve problems with troubled store that are more efficient.

If youre dedicated to your job , you'll have lots of oportunity to move up in the company quickly.

Current Employee - Third Keyholder in Salem, OH
    Current Employee - Third Keyholder in Salem, OH

I have been working at Dollar General

Pros

Opportunity for advancement, flexible scheduling, fun incentives,great coworkers.

Cons

High over turn rate, open every holiday, except Christmas day, lots of responsibility for someone who is working there as their first job.

Dedicated Employee

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Danville, VA
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Danville, VA

I have been working at Dollar General full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I have only been at Dollar General for a year and 2 months, and within just a few months I knew that one day I would want to be a store manager. So I set a goal to learn anything and everything there is to know by utilizing the tools given to every employee by Dollar General to be successful. My current store manager has made me feel very welcome after transferring only a month ago, and I still learn something new everyday. My District manager is one very hard working woman, and has become someone I not only respect, but admire very much.

Any employee can be successful at Dollar General if they are willing to apply themselves each and everyday, Even on stressful days. I mean come on guys it wouldn't be any fun if there were no challenges in life.

Cons

The pay rate should be increased based on the fact DG employees are trained and required to accurately perform multiple tasks. It is never an excuse for any employee to not complete assigned daily tasks based on how much they make, but a little boost or positive reinforcement wouldn't hurt.

There are many stores where I am located that need updated and even new software. Including registers, scanners, monitors, and most of all more cameras with better angles throughout the stores. This would allow older stores the ability to serve customers more efficiently, and help management with unfortunate theft incidents.